Tourist Attractions in Paris

Free entertainment at Pl. Collette

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Paris

• Hotel Trap

by qamama Written Jul 24, 2007

Its my kind advice to all travelers going to paris not to stay at "Richmond Hotel Paris" near gare du nord railway station cause recently my all valueable things stollen in hotel and i am sure this was done by hotel staff.....its not safe for travelers for stay, its my personal expereince just last week ago, and also i call the police they can't help me.....first they can't understand english.....2nd they come to hotel after 2 hrs, and they do nothing .....hotel have cctv but the system is not working.....and the manager is the most un-coperative man.....I know if u don't have money in another country how you feel......please beawar for the hotel.

Unique Suggestions: Not to stay with this hotel

• Queen nightclub

by stuartpb Written Jun 12, 2007

This club is advertised as a gay club but is mostly straight- AVOID, also expensice at €20 to get in and €10 a drink.

Unique Suggestions: Get drunk before you go and pay the €20 entry but then don't buy drink. Don't kiss your boyfriend but enjoy the good house music they play.

Fun Alternatives: Get a good listing of gay bars in the Marais district. l found the Marais hard to find my way around trying to find gay bars as l was only there for two nights, so get familiar and you can find some nice bars with friendly locals.

• Muarrij's Profile Photo

Carry some Euro Cash

by Muarrij Updated Mar 22, 2007

As a tourist/traveller you will spend a lot of time on the road. So when it comes to answering the call of nature, the thoughtful French have these Tardis like toilets that require a Euro or two to use!

Just make sure you have the right change at the time!

Fun Alternatives: As an alternative try the local restaurants. (as in ask to use their WC .... did you know WC is french!)

• Singles

• SSerre's Profile Photo

Dress to blend in

by SSerre Updated Mar 14, 2007

I'd suggest researching in advance what Parisians wear and dressing accordingly. I found out that Parisian women don't wear sneakers or shorts, so I packed slacks and skirts and sandals, and I felt like I fit right in (as much as a tourist can, that is). I didn't heed this advice when I went to Japan and wore shorts and sneakers and got stared at a lot.

It also helped us avoid some of the panhandlers and street merchants near the popular sites. Because our outfits didn't scream "I'm an American Tourist with lots of money to spend!!" they didn't bother us. I did see another couple get swarmed at Versailles though. He was wearing a Quiksilver t-shirt and shorts, and she was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. The street merchants called out to them "Where in America are you from? Are you from the midwest?". Those poor tourists looked really surprised the merchants could figure it out, but I could too from a mile away.

I was also pleased that because I looked like I somewhat belonged that several people stopped and asked me for directions in the Metro. I take that as a compliment.

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Where to leave your luggages ?

by nygaston Updated Oct 24, 2006

You do not know where to leave your luggages ?

Unique Suggestions: Ask to you hotel if they can keep your luggages.

Sometimes you can leave them at the Airport, the hotel or some big stores in Paris in a big SAFE, called "Consignes Automatiques".

Fun Alternatives: AUTOMATIC LUGGAGE BOX (in 2003):

check at www.sncf.fr (Consignes a Bagages)

* SNCF Station:
    Angers, Avignon-centre, Bordeaux, Cannes, Lyon-Perrache, Marne ?la Vall?e Chessy, Marseilles, Nantes, Nice, Toulouse.

* Stations of Paris:
    Austerlitz/Est/Lyon/Montparnasse/Nord.

The rate is depending of the size:
    3,40 Euros (1), 5 Euros (1) ou 7,5 Euros (1) for 72 hours.

MANUAL LUGGAGE BOX:
    * Dijon, Lille-Flandres, Lyon-Part Dieu, Metz, Mulhouse, Rennes, Strasbourg. Ouverture p?riodique en gares de Saint-Raphael, Bourg-Saint-Maurice, Moutiers et Saint-Gervais-les-Bains.

Rates: 4,50 ? (1) per lugage (valise, colis), for 24 hours.
    Rates: 5,30 ? (1) bike, fauteuil roulant for 24 hours.

(1) Rates on 01/08/2002.

* ATTENTION: for security reasons, it may be closed.

• suhadis's Profile Photo

Les Mouvementes Sociaux

by suhadis Written Jul 26, 2006

Les Mouvementes Sociaux = Workers strikes

It's not exactly a tourist trap associated with any establishment or place, but something you need to be aware of while in France! When there is one, the tourist will stand to not benefit in any way.. The trains run much slower at a very low frequency on the metro and the lond distance trains.

You will even see museums partially closed, or even entirely closed! This is because also people never get to work at there is not much transport services. So it ruins your day if you only have a few days there. It really cripples the city. Walking is the only way to go, as the trains are packed because they come in like every hour or so.. The only good things is that the metro is free!, so don't use your ticket and test the turnstile..

For the long distance trains, you may not have a direct route and have to find alternatives and make connections somewhere.

Fun Alternatives: If you are having a bad day with a strike, if your hotel is in the middle of the city, take a walk along the Seine! It's pretty romantic walk and snap pictures...

• endzoearth's Profile Photo

More for Your Money

by endzoearth Updated Jun 28, 2006

You probably already know this, but most currency exchange places, especially those in touristy areas, charge you an arm and a leg when you exchange money - traveller's checks or cash. I fell into this trap near Place de Terre at Montmartre, where I was shorted 45-50 Euros when I exchanged $100. You must look not just at the exchange rate, but also the amount of commission and fees, etc. that a particular place will charge.

Unique Suggestions: Three things:
    1) Before you exchange your money, ask them this question: "If I give you ____ dollars, how many Euros will you give me?"
    2) Ask around. Visit other exchange places, asking the same question, and compare. You will find that there can be a significant difference.
    3) In Paris, the best rate I found was on the Champs-Elysees. I used to travel all the way across town to exchange my money there because the rates were so much better than everywhere else. There are a couple of McDonalds on the Champs-Elysees, one of which is underground. I believe it is near the George V metro stop. When you walk in to go down the steps into that McDonalds, there is a currency exchange place right at the TOP of those stairs. They had the best rate when I was there in 2002. Of course, it may have changed since then. Nevertheless, if you must exchange cash or traveller's checks, it is worth checking the place out.

Fun Alternatives: The way to get the most for your money is to use a credit card. However, many smaller stores, restaurants, etc. do not accept credit cards. Therefore, the second best way to get the most for your money is to bring a debit/atm card. There are plenty of ATMs everywhere, and they charge you little if any fee for using them, all the while providing you with the best exchange rate. Your bank at home, of course, will still probably charge you a small fee for not using one of THEIR ATMs, just as they do in the States. Even with these small fees, though, you still beat most, if not all, currency exchange locations when it comes to the amount you get for your money.

• Study Abroad

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Using Travellers Cheques Can Be Tricky

by sparkieplug24 Updated Jun 11, 2006

Travellers are always told to carry a mixture of money and travellers cheques in case there cash is lost or stolen this is good advice. However on our lastt trip to Paris in January 2005 we had i an absolute nightmare of a time trying to cash my American Express Euro travellers cheques. The problem is that recently they have started doing in most countries what has been happening in america for years that your travellers cheque can be used just like cash. I was advised that most hotels restaurants and shops would cash them no problem by the seller when i bought them but this led to a very embarassing situation in a restaurant on one of the evenings of our stay after eating we tried to pay with said travellers cheques to be told that it was only ordinary american express cheques with gurantee cards they accepted and guess what we never had enough Euro cash to pay the bill so after about 10 mins of the restaurant manager phoning her american express broker and me almost dying of embarassment in corner it was resolved and she could take the cheque they had made a mistake this mistake however wasnt the restraunts fault it was caused by a lack of information from third parties. Be careful because every where we went including our hotel would not cash them as they where euro cheques the only place i knew of that would cash them was the american express bank. Next problem it was sunday and we had very little euros left.

Unique Suggestions: I would however still recommend travellers cheques if you are planning on carrying large sums of money. Ask at the restraunt before eating as just because it says on the door it takes american express travellers cheques they may still be unsure. To save yourself any embarrassment go to the american express travel agent its near the opera any day but sunday.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Place Dauphine - Ile de la Cite

by BeatChick Updated May 10, 2006

This triangular square ("tres charmant, tres pittoresque, tres tranquille") that I'd read so much about is cute but didn't exactly live up to my expectations. Lovely leafy trees, to be sure, but with no grass to temper the crunchy gravel/dirt/mud underneath.

The Surrealists loved the Place Dauphine due to its suggestive V-shaped area; they called it "le sexe de Paris"!

UPDATE: I've changed my mind now about Place Dauphine and can at last say I understand its charms. Check out the night photo!

Photos: April 2003 & Feb 2006

Unique Suggestions: Nearby is the statue of the Vert Galant, King Henri IV.

Fun Alternatives: Square du Vert Galant (the tip of the Île de la Cité)
    Ste-Chapelle
    Nôtre-Dame

• Hiking and Walking

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Internet Cafe

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 17, 2006

Avoid the internet cafes on Rue D' Odessa, Paris 75014. They charge a fortune. For 55 minutes it cost me 8 euros. Try instead the one across from the Monoprix on Avenue General LeClerc at Metro Denfert Rochereau. It's not fancy but it is very reasonable, the people are nice, and it is reliable.

Or you can go to the internet cafe on Boulevard St. Michel across from l'Ecole des Mines at Metro Jardin de Luxembourg.

If you have a laptop with WIFI, you can go to any number of places including MacDonalds and Starbucks.

• Study Abroad
    • Seniors

• ramsj900's Profile Photo

If you walk a little, you save a lot

by ramsj900 Written Dec 18, 2005

Other than the Eiffel Tower which can be seen from all over downtown Paris, my rule of thumb is "if you can see the tourist attraction" then everything will be 3-times as expensive. So if you walk down the road or around a few blocks if possible you will find the same amenities desired, but at a greatly reduced price.

Unique Suggestions: Example: if you have lunch on the little open square right below Sacre Cour you sandewich will be $15us and the iced tea $6us with no refills. If you were to walk past the square and decend the hill two blocks and find a cafe there it would $8 for the sandwich and tea with free refills.

Fun Alternatives: So take pictures of the cute square and by some artworks, but save yourself some money and get to see the real Paris.

• LostBoyPN's Profile Photo

When changing dollars for euros, shop around

by LostBoyPN Written Sep 29, 2005

For the most part I used the omnipresent ATM machines to withdraw euros but I had a couple of $100 bills so I wanted to use one towards the end of my trip. Lazily, I went to the Travelex worldwide exchange on Blvd St Michel close to the Seine. Bad idea made worse by the fact I couldn't hear the teller. I missed a vital piece of info... the commission charge of 6,50 Euro. Ouch. Not to mention the poor exchange rate they offered. Later, I stumbled across a commission free exchange in one of the small shops across from Notre Dame going north. I would've received 81 Euros from that place instead of the measly 69 and change I got from Travelex. 12 Euros is nothing to laugh at. This was the biggest mistake I made in France. Please don't repeat it.

Fun Alternatives: As previously mentioned, go to the shop across Notre Dame or keep searching 'til you find a good rate without commission. Don't be lazy like I was. Better yet, just use the ATM machines. They work like a charm.

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

Alma Tunnel

by Kettleman Written Aug 2, 2005

Don't bother. Forget it. Princess Di is dead. Let her rest in peace.

Unique Suggestions: Don't waste time and effort and money leaving flowers, pull yourself together and get on with your lives. And leave your pens and marker pens at home. Your grafitti is pointless!

Fun Alternatives: Give money to a charity!

• Don't try on the bracelettes!!

by klubkidd80 Written Aug 1, 2005

In and around the Eiffel Tower you will notice a lot of street vendors (illegal ones) using a blanket on the side of the road to display their goods....Also, there are people (mostly men) asking you if you wanna try on a friendship bracelette...if they even can get it around your wrist, even if you've said no, its yours. I seen a couple of people fall victim to it and have had to pay a couple of euros for a braided bracelette....just keep walking!!

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo

If I was a tourist...

by Maillekeukeul Written Jul 26, 2005

... I would never :

1. take the Paris tour bus to discover the main monuments of the city;
    2. think that, because I don't speak french, nobody will understand me, and, consequently, refuse to discuss and share with Frenchmen;
    3. enter a McDonald's because french food frightens me;
    4. forget to tip the nice waiters and forget to forget to tip the rude ones;
    5. rent a car, as it is unuseful in Paris... !

Fun Alternatives: Alternatives :

1. Walk all day !!!
    2. Speak to people who seem to be kind and smiling (there are some, believe me !)
    3. Eat in "brasseries", "cafes", but avoid "fast food" !!!
    4. Tip whenever you think it's right : tipping is not mandatory iin France
    5. Use the public facilities (bus, metro, tramway)

Paris Hotels

Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Residence Voltaire Paris
Latest: Mar 8, 2014

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Paris Tourist Traps

shrimp56's Profile Photo

When the same Paris attraction is one person's "tourist trap" but another person's "favorite," you will have to decide for yourself!

There is a lot of useful information in this section to...

Map of Paris