Moulin Rouge & Clubs, Paris

Know about this?

• Moulin Rouge & Clubs
    by xymmot
    One of the numerous shops
    by Tom_Fields
    Pigalle by day
    by Tom_Fields
  • sourbugger's Profile Photo

Is it worth 150 euro and up ? - crumpet watching..

by sourbugger Updated May 15, 2013

Moulin Rouge

If ever there was a place that was living off past glories, it is the Moulin rouge.

It does however still have a steady trade, relying on hoardes of rich tourists to fill up the theatre seats. For about 150 euros each they get a somewhat average meal from Seven O'clock and then a show from Nine O'clock, always featuring a bunch of East European Lovelies, with legs up to their armpits, pretending to be turn-of-the-century french courtesans dancing the can-can.

It all seems to be a bid staid and formulaic compared to the "Va Va Vroom" expressed in the film "Moulin Rouge" where senses tingled with anticipation at a night spent here.

Fun Alternatives: In a similar night out in Lincolnshire UK, it will cost you about 12 quid. A quick meal at Weatherspoons (£5.50 for two), A bottle of Cava From ASDA (£1.99) and entry to a dodgy nightclub (£3 at 'after dark') to watch a bunch of long-legged Latvians strutt their stuff.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

CRAZY HORSE SALOON

by xymmot Written Oct 8, 2012

Definitely for the tourist like a trap if you like *** and ass. Few dance routines and a couple of skits with a bottle of Champagne will cost you over 100 euros a person. For me it is a little bit pricey and I seen these shows years ago so I do not care to see it again. I heard if you wait after 630 and they haven't sold out the 815 show, they will discount the ticket to forty euros a person and a half bottle of champagne. If you want to go and save money, this is the route to go if they are not sold out. the food is expensive there and best bet is to eat before arrivial or a late supper. the show will last 90 mins and many people get bored by then. good luck

cheers tommy x

Unique Suggestions: expect nothing and hope for something that you enjoy

Fun Alternatives: Go sit out in the many sites of Paris by a cafe and people watch instead....it seems more interesting than the show

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

The coat you do not need.

by wise23girl Updated Sep 23, 2011

Moulin Rouge

We were booked for a mini tour to Moulin Rouge. The guidelines told us the men should wear a coat and tie which they did.
    But before we shown to our table the attendants told the men (and me but I wouldn't) to give their coats to the Cloak Room as there was no room for coats inside . Guess what the Cloak Room storage was NOT free.

Unique Suggestions: Unless you are cold do not wear a coat or be prepared to wear it at table.
    Be prepared to be squashed in to your seat. Go to the toilet immediately after dinner and the shop too as it is hopeless later.
    Go with a mini tour as they at least advise you of the pitfalls . Our guide took us right in to the attendant.

So warn your friends

Photo from web site

• Pigalle strip club Trap

by conned_in_paris Written Jan 22, 2010

I was there in Pigalle with 2 of my friends. We were not really looking to enter a strip club, just looking around.

Suddenly in front of a club, a guy approached us and said Euro 10 per person for the show and one drink free. We said we are not interested. He persisted and said that we can take a look and if we don't like, we can leave without paying. That enticed us and we entered. Just as soon as we were inside 3 good looking skimpily dressed girls surrounded us carrying our drinks and their own's and started chit chatting. About 3-4 mins into the chit chat , each asked us to go to a separate sofa to talk more comfortably. already inebriated, we obliged. As soon as we were on separate sofa's a lap dance began. I've had lap dances before and this one was intense , more touching and teasing than others.

Anyways , the girl kept drinking something which seemed like orange juice. The waiter just kept bringing it for her. About 15-20 mins into the charade, my friends girl asked her if they want to open champagne. My friend - a stingy person by nature, thought that it would be expensive something in the range of Euro 70-80 so straight away declined. Some how , something clicked in his mind and he asked the manager to tell him the bill amount. (All of us had had 2-3 drinks by that time). He though that our drinks would be expensive and they might fleece us.

Crash ! The roof collapsed. Not actually, but that is an understatement. The bill was Euro 390, he escaped the girl and we reconvened on the sofa on which we initially sat. We were discussing that Euro 130 per head was way too expensive and that we had been conned. Just then, the manager came and asked my other friend to come and check his bill. He went and his bill was Euro 430. Yes, the Euro 390 was the bill of first friend alone , not ours cumulatively , Euro 420 of 2nd and Euro 320 was mine.

This cheaters had charged Euro 50 for girl company, Euro 100 for lap dance, Euro 80 per drink of the girl which we did not approve and we did not ask for , our drinks were (relatively cheap) in the range of Euro 8-15 .

We tried to protest but suddenly out of now where 3-4 tough looking bouncers appeared by the manager. Our anger mellowed and we meekly requested him that we are students and stuff.. He waived off the Euro 50 per head for the girl company charges and yet we were forced to pay a total of euro 1050 total, i.e. euro 350 per head. Thank goodness it was our first day of the trip , otherwise hell knows frm where we might have paid.

It killed the entire trip. we had a good budget for our 14 day Euro Tour, but we had to be stingy throughout thanks to that one ***ing strip club.

Unique Suggestions: If you do visit any strip clubs, make sure you ask the price of EVERYTHING before hand no matter how inconsequential it may seem. Do not let a girl sit besides you without knowing the charge, do not touch or flirt with a girl without knowing the charge. Ask for the price of everything otherwise you may have to pay one hefty price. And never ever offer a drink to ANY girl in a strip club. You can offer if you have loads and loads of money to spare, but for the rest - DON'T

Fun Alternatives: Who needs Strip Clubs ? Go to Lido's go to Crazy Horse , roam in the city, visit some museums, there are incalculable number of nightclubs, pubs, bars, visit them... No fun in getting conned in a seedy place like Piggale

• Museum Visits
    • Singles

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Pigalle

by Tom_Fields Written Nov 15, 2008

The famed Moulin Rouge

The notorious red-light district of Pigalle is located in the Montmartre district. It's very colorful, and interesting to see. But don't let anyone pull you into one of the clubs. Everything, especially drinks, is way overpriced. The girls will do whatever they can to entice more money out of you.

Unique Suggestions: If you want to see Pigalle without being hassled, walk down the long traffic island in the middle. You can take it all in, and they won't bother you.

Fun Alternatives: There really is nowhere else quite like Pigalle. It is fun to see everything here; just don't go into the clubs and blow a ton of money.

• Hiking and Walking

• davequ's Profile Photo

Can-Can You Say "piège à touristes?"

by davequ Updated Mar 27, 2008

Without the makeup

Not trying to offend anyone, and to each his own:
    but in my opinion the Moulin Rouge
    is a classic tourist trap.

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec doesn't hang out there any more, but busloads of international tourists do.

(where is Le Pétomane when we need him?)

Bring lots of money, the staff has figured out just about every way to get most of it.
    The Belle Epoque Dinner and Show package for one person is now 175 Euros ($276) per person!, with no extras included.
    I can think of better ways to spend $300+ on myself than cancan, but hey, that's just me....

Unique Suggestions: At least you can say you've been there.

But what the hell....

If you go to places like Moulin Rouge or Lido,
    please enjoy, here's to you, and have a great time. Here's their website for a preview of what you are in for....

Moulin RougeThough the Moulin Rouge certainly couldn't give a damn about my opinion it appears they are tired of being associated w/ the term "tourist trap" & are trying to do something about it.
    Friends of mine who have visited recently tell me the food, value, and shows have improved (especially the food). In all fairness, I say if you have Euros to burn, check it out. PS..... No smoking now

Fun Alternatives: Walk up the hill on Rue Lepic to Montmartre.

At night, it's touristy too (and Clichy/Pigalle sometimes gets a "little hairy" at night),
    but at least you can find little places to hang out or walk to where they don't vacuum the euros from your trousers so vigorously.

82 boulevard de Clichy 75018 Metro: Blanche
    +33 (0) 153.098.282

• Luxury Travel

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Make sure you get your money's worth

by longsanborn Written Jan 29, 2007

When I bought the ticket to see a cabaret show at Moulin Rouge, the price include a bottle of champagne. At the price I was paying then, I thought I would at least get a bottle (a 0.75 liter) of cheap champagne or sparkling wine. Instead, I got a glass of champagne and I saw the waiters serving from a small bottle (0.375 liter size). The waiters didn't even leave the small bottle with me, but continue to fill my friend's glass from the same bottle. I suspected that I was entitled to the small bottle but when I tried to talk to the waiters, they pretended not to understand and rudely brushed me aside.

Unique Suggestions: If you decide to go to Moulin Rouge and bought entry ticket with 1 bottle of small champagne, make sure you get the whole bottle (0.375 liter size). If you want to order other beverages, ask the price first because you might ended paying more than usual. Keep an eye on the waiters because they can come and go in a flash!

Fun Alternatives: Well, there is the Lido and Crazy Horse cabaret establishments. I heard that these are better than Moulin Rouge, but I cannot guarantee if this fact was true.

• Lido Paris is not a safe place!

by cuscret Written Jan 3, 2007

Lido de Paris: Don`t leave precious items on your table! Tip Rating: [Not enough ratings yet]

Written by cuscret on Jan 3, 2007
    See Entire Paris Travel Guide
    Send to a Friend

Nightlife Spot: Lido de Paris

We were at Lido on new year`s eve 2007.The show was great, but the night was wasted because our camera with all the pictures of honeymoon was stolen while we were dancing.
    It is not the value of the camera but the value of the pictures that was so important for us.
    The personnel staff was not helpful,they were only interested to get rid of our complaints.The lido of Paris is not a safe place.Keep your money with you and don`t leave items on your tables.

And they have their own "taxi system" ! To make 1 km 25 euros per person ! We asked for taxi and they sent us to their own system,this is not fair.We are completeley unsatisfied with Lido personnel and managers for their incompetence and their extremely low customer satisfaction.

• Moulin Rouge -Do it once!

by clancyblob Updated Apr 18, 2006

It was our wedding anniversary trip to Paris and my dear wife - a dancer and lover of shows - wanted to go to The Moulin Rouge. I read the Tourist Trap reviews here and tried to steer us away, but then booked two tickets to make her happy! The cost was 100 Euro each, with half bottle of champagne each in the price. We got there at 8.30, lashed out 2 Euro to leave our coats in the cloakroom, and 8 Euro on the big glossy souvenir programme. then were efficiently ushered to our seats (which we shared with two nice guys from Philadelphia who were already seated). Our bottle of Champagne arrived on ice (plenty enough to see us through the show), a singer entertained til all were seated. The girls were stunning, the costumes spectacular, though they really allowed the girls only to parade and pose most of the time so the choreographer was overpaid! The music was a bit "canned" but was OK. The show was 2 hours, non-stop, with excellent male acrobats, and very impressive & funny juggler/drummer (go and see!) between the dances. The very fast can-can, by both male and female dancers was impressive, and we left very happy. The feared hard sell did not materialise. We did pay 25 Euro for the photo of us at the table but it was a special anniversary, and we felt no pressure to have the photo taken. So! I'm glad I went. A lovely evening, costing only a bit more than decent seats at a musical in London!

Unique Suggestions: Have a local meal at a brasserie or bistro, then go to the show. Pigalle/Boulevard de Clichy is mainly Peep Shows etc, but we've often walked here in the evening to go to bistros & shops (there's a Monoprix supermarket across from Moulin) without feeling uncomfortable, though it may be different after midnight. Beside Moulin Rouge is Rue Lepic, where you immediately leave any seediness behind and enter Montmartre. A busy little street, lined with small local shops, delicatessens and lively bars/brasseries. One is the "2 Moulins" where "Amelie" works in the film of the same name. Go in any of them for a beer, a coffee or a simple but tasty meal at good prices (3 courses and a glass of wine about 20 -25 Euro). Some have live music. Lepic rises to Rue Abbesses at the top, again lined with good bars and restaurants haunted by students and locals. Turn right, and in a few hundred metres you will pass Abbesses art nouveau Metro entrance, follow the signs another 100 metres to the foot of Butte Montmartre with Sacre Couer at the top, floodlit at night. Walk up 200 steps (or take the funicular!) for views over Paris. Whenever you go, you wont be alone - people from across the globe will be sat on the steps sharing the view with you, and the younger ones will have a guitar & be singing! Behind and to the left of Sacre Couer is Place de Tertre - bars/cafes & pavement artists, touristy yes, but nice to stroll narrow cobbled streets or have a beer and watch the world go by! As you leave the shops and cafes turn down left, to pass two old wooden windmills. You are now back on Rue Lepic, which will curve round back to Moulin Rouge, or shortcut down some steep steps to the same destination. Great day or night!

• sebastienguilbault's Profile Photo

Strip Club's are not as the one in North America

by sebastienguilbault Written Jan 28, 2006

They will tell you - Just for you my friend, I'll make you a special- Witch special's ?????????

They will offer you 10 euro to get a Beer and a show, thing is the beer is included, yes, but the show, it's not really a show. The girl will sit beside you and offer you a show. Then she'll
    tell you if you want a dance you'll need to pay me a drink. So as a gentleman, you'll say yes. She'll take a Juice !!!, yes right a juice, then when she'll start drink it, she will say, ok the juice cost 80.00 euro and there is a 20.00 euro service fee.

So wasn't it supose to be 10..00 euro for a beer and a show ????

Yeah right

Fun Alternatives: As an alternative there is plenty of clubs, regular clubs, whwre you can meet some nice french girl, and you may get more, that if you went to that strippers club...

And if you really want to go to a strippers club, the forget about Paris and come to MONTREAL !!! IT'S way cheaper !!!!!

• Singles
    • Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• Flamelit's Profile Photo

by Flamelit Written Nov 2, 2005

The Moulin Rouge is a dead scary nightmare of bad 80's music and horrible sets that should be put out of it's misery. Stay away! No matter how badly you want to try it, even knowing it will be bad, just stay away. Leave with your romantic notions of the place during it's belle epoch heyday in place! It is horrid now. Not even bad in a good way, not risque, not sexy, not campy, not dirty, not funny- just BAD!

• Music

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

by Kettleman Updated Sep 27, 2005

What a waste of money.... £90 for a sub standard meal and a drink and the chance to watch a few half naked dancers.

You can get the same at any disco all over Europe and come out with most of your dosh!

WASTE OF MONEY!

Unique Suggestions: Take the cheapest option, see the "world famous dancers" and then clear off and have a drink the the Cafe de Clichy down the road! Loads of beers on offer, about a 100 bottled and all at less than the price of a sniff of a druink at the famous Moulin Rouge!

Window shop at the seedy nightlife in the area!!

• mauved's Profile Photo

Pretty but disappointing

by mauved Written Apr 24, 2005

The Moulin Rouge ... yes the one of the movie with Nicole Kidman... the movie is better. It's extremely expensive... I think we spent almost $400 altogether on it, with dinner. Dinner was mediocre, although the costumes were beautiful and the giant pool with scantily clad dancers swimming with snakes was quite amazing. Other than that, I wouldn't do it again.

Unique Suggestions: Do not allow yourself to be seated right close to the stage. We left with terrible neck cramps:) Insist on a seat at the nice tables on the second raised level of the stage.

Fun Alternatives: I gotta think about this...how about a nice night river cruise along the Seine... not too expensive and worth every single setting sun ray...

• emilybcn's Profile Photo

It's not like the Movie!!

by emilybcn Written Apr 6, 2005

The Moulin Rouge

When I visit Paris again some day I definitely won't waste my time to see the moulin rouge. It looks nothing like what you imagine it looked like in it's prime, the only thing that remains on this now modern stripclub is a windmill. Even walking to the Moulin Rouge wasn't very pleasant because for two blocks until you arrive it is nothing but sex shops and stripclubs.

Unique Suggestions: If you do go take a picture and get outta there! Better yet just look at the picture I took and don't go.

Fun Alternatives: If you are in the Montmarte area visit Sacre Couer and if you're on a budget you'll find several affordable tourist shops around this area.

• JulesH's Profile Photo

It's not like the movie!

by JulesH Written Feb 5, 2005

The Moulin Rouge is a must see...from the outside. This is where the world famous can can is performed by the Doriss Girls, but the distant days of glorious hedonism are long gone for the Moulin Rouge and these days it is little more than a fairly standard cabaret venue. If you like that kind of thing, dinner and a show will cost you anything between €135 and €165 per person (the dinner comes with a half bottle of champagne.)

Unique Suggestions: I'd advise seeing it, but not going inside unless you are a big fan of cabaret...otherwise it could be an expensive disappointment.

Instant Answers: Paris