Moulin Rouge & Clubs, Paris

Know about this?

• Moulin Rouge & Clubs
    by xymmot
    One of the numerous shops
    by Tom_Fields
    Pigalle by day
    by Tom_Fields
  • BruinKristin's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge

by BruinKristin Written Feb 4, 2005

Was that Nicole Kidman I just saw?!!

Once I saw the price and availability I decided not to go, despite the fact I am a huge fan of the movie Moulin Rouge.
    Take some pictures from the outside, buy a cheap print of it in the souvenir shop and check out the posters just outside outlining the history of the famous show, then be done with it.

Unique Suggestions: Go for dessert -- it's MUCH cheaper and you'll be glad you didn't spend the full fledge fare for dinner.

• mariev's Profile Photo

A parisian attraction without parisians

by mariev Updated Dec 27, 2004

Not so exciting by daylight

What would you call an attraction for wich you can book only online or through a tour operator ?

In the begining, the Moulin Rouge, built in 1889 by Joseph Oller, situated in the seedy area known as Pigalle (in fact boulevard de Clichy), not far from Montmartre presented the thrill of the "fruit defendu" : women showing their legs in an era where ankles were something "audacious".

It became widely known through the paintings from Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, like "La Goulue" in 1891. But that was more than an century ago and the cabaret has slowly gone down since.
    There was a renewal in the 50's when Georges France, bought the Bal du Moulin Rouge and invited newcomer artists and stars like : Charles Trenet, Charles Aznavour, Line Renaud, Bourvil, Fernand Raynaud...but this also had an end.

Today, the Moulin Rouge is mostly a casino-type revue without a casino, draining busloads of tourists to an expensive dinner.

To be honnest : Moulin Rouge is not really bad, just as exciting as a matinee at Holliday on Ice.

Unique Suggestions: A good point : From the 31st of March 2004, it is forbidden to smoke inside the Moulin Rouge

Fun Alternatives: Rent a film !
    6 films have been made about the Moulin Rouge, from 1926 to Baz Luhman's and have a good dinner.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Don't Even Think About It

by jenn_d Written Dec 5, 2004

As a fan of the movie and ever curious about topless dancers I was set on the MR experience. The show was ridiculous...an absolute waste of 80 Euro per person. It was also a waste of an evening. No matter what you have heard, I strongly discourage a visit here.

*Note: Photography is strongly prohibited inside. I snapped just one picture of a side wall before being admonished by a waiter and told that my camera would be taken if I took another picture.

Unique Suggestions: DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF ALCOHOL

• Areas to AVOID

by saltwater_mermaid Written Mar 9, 2004

The streets surrounding the Lido and the Moulin Rouge are full of 'clubs' that feature hawkers to get you into the 'club'. What you need to know and what you aren't told until you are inside is that there is a 1 drink minimum. This doesn't sound to bad until you find out that a very weak Vodka Tonic cost 80USD. A Bourbon and Coke (not the good stuff, either) is 85USD. What a shock we had when we found out. You can't just get up and leave, either. They have 'bouncers' to prevent this. BE CAREFUL!

Unique Suggestions: There is no way. Just don't go!

Fun Alternatives: If you go to the Lido or to Moulin Rouge it's great! Just avoid the surrounding streets.

• Singles

• FridayGirl's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge

by FridayGirl Written May 28, 2003

Very expensive drinks on offer while you wait for the show to begin. A tourist next to us paid £25 for a glass of coke!

Unique Suggestions: Worth seeing the show, but try to purchase a ticket that includes a drink. Ours included a half bottle of champagne (disguised as sparkling wine) and sip very very slowly.

• kayzee's Profile Photo

The RedLight Street

by kayzee Updated May 3, 2003

Let me tell the story. As ther are lots of Tips in this story!!

I met one Japanese guy in the youth hostel. We wanted to see Moulin Rouge and found the place is very costly. (90 Euro PP)

So started walking down the lain and found lots of sex shops, live shows etc, etc, in the same road.

The place looks quite exciting and people outside those shops are virtually dragging you in to those shows.

One of those guys managed to convince us to have a look at their live show just for 20 EURO. "What the hell lets try this!!!!" and we are in.

Okay we ware inside and found two good-looking girls talking to us even without any invitation and the show was quite pearsonal. (Only two of us)

Then those girls asked whether they could have some drinks.

After 30 minutes we ware given a bill of 900 EUROs (they charged 200 EUR for a cocktail ) Obviously we did not have enough money on us so we ware taken to the counter buy one thugs looking guy.

They searched all over us and took all the money we had with us. (I lost around 20 more Euros and my friend lost around 30 Euros I guess)

Those guys managed get hold of my credit card and swiped it on the machine and managed to block some 500 odd Euros on My credit card for next 15 days. I declined signing those slips ( as the guy who took us tald us that we have to pay nothing except that 20 EUR ) did not pay that money. But that money was blocked for rest of my trip, which was very inconvenient.

Some how we managed to come out after loosing just about 200 Euros. But we learned very-good lesson.

Unique Suggestions: TIP.1 (mistake 1) don’t show your friendly face to those people. If you are not planning to exploit those places Just shoo them away.
    ----------------

TIP.2 (mistake 2) don’t go in unless you ate sure and that guys explains you.
    A. What the show is like.
    B. How they going to charge for "Talking !!" to those girls and what the cost of beverage inside.
    --------------------

TIP.4 Never carry all you money in to those Places. I still thank my self for that
    ------------------------

Tip 3. (mistake 3). Never let them order anything for you. Ask for the price and service charges before you order anything.
    ----------------------------

TIP5. Don’t keep your credit cards /debit cards on in usual places when you go in there. If you are planning to go to those places, be ready and hide your CC etc in some other place.
    ------------------------------

OVERALL
    Dont be shy to ask the price of everything including for those girls siting next to you and explaining what the dance is .!!

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

Once Is Enough

by ExGuyParis Updated Dec 28, 2002

Nothing Subtle Here!

The Lido on the Champs Elysées-- it is a huge tourist draw (note that their website is in French, English, and Japanese).
    You can join with 1,099 other tourists and see a remarkable show-- remarkable in terms of lighting, stage technology, costumes, beautiful showgirls and showboys-- and pay a very healthy sum. The show without dinner, depending on the time and package, ranges from €70 to € 120. Dinner plus show will set you back from € 130 to € 170 per person.

Unique Suggestions: Is it worth it? Well, that depends. If you like Las Vegas shows, you'll be happy. If you want a little unique slice of French culture, you may be pleased. If you want a dazzling production in terms of sets, fountains, feathers, spangles... you'll be in seventh heaven. No question the dancers are talented, the bodies are beautiful...

Fun Alternatives: Having been there once, I have no desire to go back again. For the cost of this place, you can enjoy a wonderful meal. OK, maybe no feather boas, but GREAT food.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

L'Art du Nu?

by ExGuyParis Updated Nov 18, 2002

At the Moulin Rouge: Hey, where's Nicole?

In addition to the Lido, there are several cabaret spectacles still surviving in Paris: Paradis Latin, Les Folies Bergere, the Crazy Horse Saloon... plus numerous lesser-known places. Each has its own style and personality-- for example, the Crazy Horse is much more bawdy and burlesque, whereas the Lido is elegance. And then of course there is the newly-famous Moulin Rouge. For a website that describes all these places, go to http://www.cofrase-cabarets.com/index.htm

Unique Suggestions: 1. Bring lots of money.
    2. Expect to pay a fortune for drinks.
    3. Don't expect great food (although it seems some places are bringing in some heavy-hitter chefs to try and up the food quality).

• Theater Travel

• If you are going to the...

by maxovna Written Sep 12, 2002

If you are going to the cabaret Moulin Rouge, don't take your photo or videocamera with you - you won't be let in. And... want to laugh? Know that the entrance doors of Moulin Rouge are made of glass and so clean that that glass is almost invisible. After the performance finished my friend was pacing too quickly and smashed against the closed doors with her nose. The nose swelled.

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge glorified by...

by Ramonq Written Aug 26, 2002

Moulin Rouge glorified by Nicole Kidman. If you want to see Las Vegas type entertainment in the heart of Pigalle, then this is for you. Sorry, but for the price you pay to get inside, it's just tacky and cheesy.

• theskydancer's Profile Photo

Unless you are intersted in...

by theskydancer Updated Aug 26, 2002

Unless you are intersted in watching a show, the area around the moulin rouge is definitely a tourist trap. First of all the building is quite tacky, and then there is the surrounding area: seedy, unassuming, dirty and full of sex-shops. Did i mention pickpockets? There are plenty of them too. Hold on to your handbag or wallet please.

• btex's Profile Photo

Pigalle

by btex Written Aug 26, 2002

moulin rouge

Pigalle. I was expecting to see a cool red-light district, but Pigalle looked like a big tourist trap to me. I didn't go in the Moulin Rouge or any of the other establishments, so I can't really comment on them. Barkers lurk outside the clubs trying to get people to come inside - they're very persistent...not to mention annoying. Little stores sell dirty magazines and videos - very trite. Tour buses were all over the place too.

• If u're a foreign traveler,...

by Anasia Written Aug 25, 2002

If u're a foreign traveler, please avoid the sex shops in Pigalle. It's an area in the 9th precinct but it's the most well-known place in Paris as a 'tourist trap'. I know what I'm talking bout cos I have to go through this area when I come back from work and there are many things that I've seen there!

• Unless you are into Vegas...

by schintam Written Aug 24, 2002

Unless you are into Vegas style assault on senses..don't waste your money/time on Moulin rouge or Lido. Some body gave me this advice before leaving and I am glad I followed it (some guide books will say this too).

• Martin_B's Profile Photo

The saturday night, me and my...

by Martin_B Written Aug 24, 2002

The saturday night, me and my friends going to Pigalle. There's a lot of bar there. In the street, there's a guy who play with a bill and we have to find where's is the bill. When we look the guy, it's look like very easy to find the bill but it's another things to do it. So my friend bet 200 francs and try to find where's the bill. No chance for them, they lost 200 francs. This is because this guy have a 'complice' in the street. Another guy who trick the table. So we lost 200 francs in this stupid thing.

Instant Answers: Paris