Street Artists, Paris

Know about this?

Beware: fraud artists abound!
    by zepdude
  • Place du Tertre at midnight - look how peaceful!
    Place du Tertre at midnight - look how...
    by BeatChick
    by BeatChick
  • Montmarte - Starving artists? Watch out

by noren17 Written Mar 27, 2009

We chose to visit Montmarte as we read about the artists' village at Place du Tertre which sounded absolutely charming. When we arrived at the little enclave I was immediately met by an artist with a clipboard easel who started to sketch my portrait without my consent or agreement. He struck up a conversation while he drew. Another did the same with my husband who kept saying 'no'. We assumed they were struggling artists but during their conversation these two Frenchmen revealed that they play tennis and golf. Before we knew it we were given these two portraits which looked nothing like us and were told to pay 80euros each! We were stunned by how much it cost us and we tried to refuse as it seemed much too much but we were immediately surrounded by other clipboard-bearing artists. Not wanting any trouble we paid off but were left very upset and cheated and the visit left an extremely bitter taste. We paid 10 euros to view Dali works, 9 euros for classics at the Louvre and 8 euros for masterpieces at the Musee D'Orsay...160euros for pithy sketches of us just seemed like a scam and we were just paying for their golf and tennis activities.

Unique Suggestions: If these artists walk up to you, just say 'no' and walk away or ask 'how much' first, which was our biggest mistake.

Fun Alternatives: It is a lovely place to visit but watch out for these artists.

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Montmartre, make sure you get the right price

by ealgisi Written Jul 8, 2008

The trap in Montmartre is related to street artists.
    You will find a lot of them in Montmartre and on the way to Sacre Coeur.

They for sure won't bother you too much, they will approach in a nice way and ask you for a caricature drawing of yourself.

Now the trap is that they will not talk about the cost they will simply say like "Don't worry i will draw and if you don't like it's ok."

Once the caricature is finished they will ask you a fee of 50 or even more EUR.
    You can avoid that by:

1 Simply say you are not interestad, smile and go forward your way
    2 Ask the final price before you accept them to draw your caricature
    3 If you really like the drawing they did, just let them draw your face and pay based on your estimated value on the caricature

To be honest i prefer to say "No thank you".

• zepdude's Profile Photo

Watch out for roaming street artists

by zepdude Written Jun 1, 2008

We were strolling through Place du Tertre, ducking in and out of shops. We came out of one and a guy carrying a sketch pad approached my wife. "Please let me draw you," he said. We kept saying no but he was persistent. "It is a tradition at Montmartre," he answered in his finest French accent. I kept insisting that we weren't interested in buying a sketch. "No problem if you don't like," was his answer. Okay, fine, sketch away.

So he did, getting off to a good start by capturing her eyes perfectly. I stood behind him and watched, all the while swatting away several artists wanting to draw me. As he progressed, his work regressed, and when he was done it looked nothing like her. Then came the zinger. "Fifty euros for you."
    "No way," I said, waving my hand and walking away. He started to follow us and was obviously irritated at our decline of his rip-off attempt. "You Americans, all you understand is Coca-Cola," he spat as we disappeared into the crowd.

Unique Suggestions: Hint: if you want your portrait done, there is an area adjacent to the square where a bunch of sit-down artists set up shop. We walked through there and saw some amazing work. You'll probably have to pay a hefty sum, but most of them look worth the money.

Beware: fraud artists abound!

• clueless83's Profile Photo

sketchy

by clueless83 Written Mar 25, 2008

There are many street artists in Paris. Some of them are extremely talented and will not approach you because their work speaks for itself. Be wary of artists who do approach you. We had a man come up to us and ask to draw us. He was very charming, spoke great English and acted like our friend. We said no but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He drew a sketchy cartoon picture which looks nothing like us (yes thats meant to be me and my boyfriends floating head next to the Eiffel Tower). He then wanted us to pay him a ridiculous amount of euros for something which we could have drawn ourselves. He wasn't aggressive at all, quite the opposite which is probably why we gave in to him, but we managed to knock his price down. My boyfriend did buy the drawing but only for the right price. Just be wary of people who approach you.

Unique Suggestions: If you are approached then just tell them you've already been drawn by another artist.

Its like looking in the mirror!

• philiparnold's Profile Photo

The Ring... it's NOT yours.

by philiparnold Written Jun 8, 2007

I didn't know where else to put this. This happened to me three times in one day in Paris. The first time it happened was near the Musée D'Orsay, the second near Invalides, the third near the Tour Eiffel near Les egouts (the sewers). I didn't fall for it but I saw one stupid tourist get disturbed by it. You will be walking along a street when you suddenly see A RING on the ground. The other pedestrian approaching you from the opposite direction picks it up and inquires you about it. I said no, it's not mine. The person (in this case a woman) said NO, NO it's YOURS, pressuring you to take it. I didn't and went on my way. I saw another ring near Invalides and shook my head at the scammer before he could pick it up. The third time I again shook my head at the scammer, but I watched him spring a ring at a tourist. The foolish tourist eventually accepted the ring, and the scammer shook his hand stagily and walked off... soon after he returns to hit the tourist up for cash. The incident I witnessed ended up in shouts, and probably upset the tourist's afternoon.

Unique Suggestions: Look out for denim jackets, they all wore denim jackets. I'm serious.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Updated May 20, 2006

Place du Tertre is is a well known square in the heart of Montmartre. As the former main square of the village, it attracts many visitors, and anyone exploring Montmartre usually ends up here at some point.

I've tried to avoid this square the last few times I've been in Montmartre. Every time I return there seems to be an even greater concentration of shops and restaurants aimed at tourists. If you go for a drink or a meal here you'll pay well over the odds though that doesn't seem to deter the thousands who visit. The square is also well known for its street-artists who charge inordinate amount for their pictures.

Unique Suggestions: Try not to buy anything here.

Fun Alternatives: Try visiting some of Montmartre's quieter streets nearby. There will be less people around and you'll get better deals.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Street Artists

by barryg23 Updated May 20, 2006

Street-artists congregate at many of the city's tourist spots and will hassle you until you let them draw your portrait. I've often seen these guys ask upwards of 200 Francs (25 Euros). Usually they quote a price beforehand and by the time the picture is drawn the price will have trebled. This can be confusing for tourists who don't speak great French or who don't want to be appear rude.

One particular guy (pictured) offered to caricature my brother for free, as he wanted a sample to display to potential customers. 'Fine', we said. So off he went and drew a picture of Kevin, which came out pretty well in fact. He then had the guile to ask for 100 Francs. We laughed and said not a chance. But as it was a good picture we gave him 20F.

Unique Suggestions: Find out the price up front and pay no more at the end regardless of what they ask for.

Fun Alternatives: Don't get your portrait taken.

Portrait

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

by BeatChick Updated Apr 23, 2006

Place du Tertre, the artists' square, crowds galore. This is the way it is during the daytime, but if you can get there early in the morning...

Unique Suggestions: then perhaps you can watch the sunrise over Paris on the edges of the Place du Tertre, perhaps down rue Calvaire the street that is also stairs. Or come in the evening after the crowds have gone away and enjoy the Place then. It's especially peaceful at midnight

To avoid the grasping artist (and they're not all like that) the easiest thing to do is avoid eye contact. If they reach out for you move away.

Fun Alternatives: Montmartre is a large area, noted for it's "village-like" atmosphere. Go down the side streets, visit the area around Au Lapin Agile, Le Clos Montmartre, Cimetiere St-Vincent (rue des Saules & rue St-Vincent) or to the area to the east and down from Sacre-Coeur or even the area behind this monumental church for some peace & quiet.

Or hunt down the sites associated with Amelie to feel more of the Montmartrois flavor. Or shop at the rue Lepic street market!

Montmartre is so much more than Sacre-Coeur or the artists' square.

One of the photos features La Mere Catherine where the term "bistro" was first used for a place that prepared quick meals. The Russians who were occupying this area in the late 1800s would stomp on their tables shouting out "bistro, bistro" ("quickly, quickly") in order to get their food faster!

Photos: April 2003 & Feb 2006

Place du Tertre at midnight - look how peaceful! La M?re Catherine - 1st Bistro in the world - Mont Place du Tertre Place du Tertre - where once stood Patachou Rue du Calvaire overlooking Paris

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Artist possibly, but not Cezanne!

by gordonilla Written Sep 1, 2005

Throughout the city, notably at the main tourist points there are people only to willing to draw tourists. They seem to charge quite a large amount of money for a quite poor drawing or caricature (50€ in some cases)

Dont fall into the trap, many will be genuine, but most are pretty poor.

Unique Suggestions: Ignore them, or say no thank - better still do not get involved in a conversation.

You should note that if you have well styled hair and bright clothing, you will no doubt be an obvious target for these "artists".

Fun Alternatives: If you must get a drawing done of yourself - go to Montmartre and see others getting drawn first.

deep negotiations

• Hamster_Huey's Profile Photo

Nuke place du Tertre !

by Hamster_Huey Written Feb 23, 2005

Actually, don't destroy the beautiful square, but inflict a very slow and painful death to all the so called artists who paint ugly paintings for tourists.
    Most of the time, they don't even paint, or just pretend to paint pre-painted paintings

That's a lot of "paint" in a single phrase.

For those who wonder what I am talking about, place du Tertre is a little square on top of montmartre where throngs of tourists buy ugly stuff to gangsters dressed as "French artists".

Unique Suggestions: If you don't kill them, at least torture them for a while.

Fun Alternatives: Oh please, you know better than that !

Where did I put my flame thrower ?

• kunchik's Profile Photo

Your face drawn in Paris!

by kunchik Written Sep 26, 2004

Not sure how much this costs, but there's a lot of artists on the street who will draw your portrait.
    If you'd like to sit for this, the artist can give you happy expression even if you're bored out of your mind...just take a look at the little girl in the photo below...
    I'm sure she'd rather be eating ice cream or playing!

• Dee22's Profile Photo

Non-original drawings

by Dee22 Updated Aug 17, 2004

Several places in Paris it's possible to by some really well-done drawings of the famous tourist-sights, but beware - even though the 'salesman' tells you so, they might not be original, but printed in some way. They'll look as they just been drawn with a pencil though!
    I bought this drawing of the Eiffel Tower near Louvre in the summer in 2003 - and as I came back one year later, I saw the exact same drawings different places!

Unique Suggestions: These are beautiful and I don't regreat buying it - it's just not original. By the way, if you are going to buy a drawing anyway - always try to get a lower price!
    I know it's possible...if the salesman doesn't agree, just start to walk :)

Fun Alternatives: A certain way to get a truely original drawing from Paris is to go to Place du Tertre at Montmartre and let them draw you - this is a bit more expenisve though, but a good souvenier to bring home!

My non-original drawing :)
    • Study Abroad

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

dancing mickey

by ettenaj Written May 8, 2004

street seller, selling dancing mickey mouse.
    Dont buy one, they look very cute and quite impressive, but it is another con. They seem to dance to the music, kind of magically, but when you get them home and undo them you find a paper cut out that you have to tie a piece of cotton to, to make it "Dance " Conned again!!!!

Unique Suggestions: Found near to Louvre

Fun Alternatives: Dont be fooled, as our unusaul gifts ended up in the bin!!!!!

Dancing? I dont think so

• djou_box's Profile Photo

Portrait...

by djou_box Written Feb 23, 2004

Near Bir Hakeim metro station (where you can also find the house of japanese culture in paris) men ask you if you want a caricature of you... if you really like it why not... but I really think it's no use... if you really want to pay an expensive price for a portrait you'd better go to Montmartre, although I think it's not worthy...

• clairegeordio's Profile Photo

Street artists in Place du Tertre

by clairegeordio Written Feb 15, 2004

Street artists are everywhere, but I did not expect hassle in the evening, sitting down outside a cafe. An artist wanted to draw my boyfriend and my portrait together and WOULD NOT take no for an answer! He must have tried for a good half an hour, sitting right next to us, even started to draw me, kept lowering the price, but finally gave in. It did kind of ruin my birthday, but we can at least look back and see the funny side.

Unique Suggestions: As long as you can stay firm, it's ok. Don't be put off visiting the Place Du Tertre, as we did make another visit a few days later, during the day with a lot of crowds around!

Instant Answers: Paris