Eurostar, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

disneyland bus
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Disneyland to London

by gwened Updated Sep 20, 2013
    disneyland bus

My pennies input is on public transport take the eurostar direct disneyland to london pancreas

IN case the days are not good for you above schedules, you can take the TGV changing at Lille or straight to Paris and take the RER A train

you can always catch a shuttle to disneyland from Opéra ,2 Rue des pyramides or 8 pl de l'Opéra, Gare du nord, 8 blvd de Denain,, madeleine on 3 blvd Malesherbes, and Châtelet on 12 avenue victoria (pl du châtelet)

• Theme Park Trips

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Eurostar to/from London

by Dabs Written May 23, 2013

If you are planning on taking the Eurostar to London, there are tickets in different price brackets for each train, once the lower fare tickets are sold, a higher rate kicks in. In February 2013, the lowest current fare, without regard for any special promotions, is £69 round trip and you can book the tickets 120 days before travel on the UK site and the European site, I found that you could buy tickets farther out if you booked on the US site so it's worth looking there if you are traveling during a busy time. You don't have to be a UK resident to book on eurostar.co.uk but I'm not sure if the converse applies to UK residents trying to book on the US site (eurostar.com).

It also appears that once the lowest price tickets are gone, they are gone as the tickets at that level are non refundable and only so many issued at each price point. In July 2011, we traveled in 2nd class, my niece who was 17 qualified for a youth ticket, the lowest fare there is £59 (February 2013 increased to £66). In 2nd class, you can visit the dining car but otherwise no food or beverages are served. The seats are comfortable enough, I don't think I looked at our seating assignment because I would have changed it, we were in a 4 seater facing another couple.

The 1st time I traveled I found a cheaper 1st class fare on www.raileurope.com than the 2nd class fare on Eurostar's website so I booked the 1st class tickets on raileurope.com, it's worth a look if you miss out on the cheapest level of fares. In 1st class the seats were a bit wider and they served a meal, for a 2 1/4 hour train ride, I thought it wasn't necessary to sit in 1st class.

If you choose flexible date on eurostar.co.uk you should be able to see what dates if any have the £69 fare left. One more hint, check both eurostar.co.uk and eurostar.com, the 1st time I booked the US site was much higher than the UK site. Clean out your cookies before checking otherwise it will direct you back to the one you started on.

The Eurostar leaves from the Gare du Nord in Paris and arrives at St. Pancras station in London. You clear immigration before boarding the train so you don't have to do it once you've gotten off the train. You must check in 30 minutes before departure, there is security and immigration to go through and a waiting room on the other side with a couple of places to get a snack.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

London and all points north

by sourbugger Updated May 17, 2013

Connection between London and Paris are superb. The Eurostar trains whisks you betwen the two cities, via the channel tunnel, in under three hours.

Offers are often very good : either through the Eurostar website, through agents, or (if you keep a good lookout) through 'voucher' type offers in National newspapers.

As the number of trains expands, it will be possible in time to get more direct connections, or even through trains from place like Peterborough or Doncaster. I can see Eurostar will have a ready market in those place for short-breaks in Paris, but the other way round ?

Can you imagine the advertising "Bored of Art , culture, fine architecture, superb food and elegant fashion ?.....then find the opposite in rainy Doncaster....once visted, never remembered."

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

London to Paris by Eurostar

by sourbugger Updated May 17, 2013

Eurostar

It has to be the only way to go between these two great capitals.

It currently takes around three hours to be whisked from the Gare du Nord to St Pancreas station in central London. The highlight of the trip must be the 20 minute dive under the English Channel between the two countries. The trip is much quicker than by air when you take into account check-in times and the time taken to get out to / in from the airport.

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Train from London to Paris

by CruisingGoddess Written Dec 5, 2012

My husband and I took the Eurostar from St. Pancreas in London to Gare du Nord in Paris. We sat in Standard Premier class and it was very nice. We got to pick our seats online before the trip and got one near the window. I believe there was a power outlet available between our seats as well.

We were served a nice breakfast (see photo) and overall, it was a very fast and comfortable way to travel to Paris!

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Eurostar - Disney Express Luggage Service

by SurfaceTravel Written Aug 9, 2011
    Disneyland Paris

This tip is about taking the Eurostar from London directly to Disneyland Paris, and apparently it's available on trains from Lille and Paris as well. Disney offers an Express Luggage Service on the Eurostar. This costs £16 per adult and is well worth it.

Basically, a Disney "cast member" walks down the train on they way there and at your seat, they check you into your hotel, give you luggage tags, and explain the details. Upon arrival, you drop your tagged luggage at the Disney Express counter and then you are free to walk directly to the parks and begin your enjoyment. (The station is precisely between the parks and the hotels, a 10 minute walk in either direction.) After your day of fun, you go straight to your hotel room, as you've been given your keys already, and your luggage is waiting for you in the room.

On the day you leave you drop off your bags at the hotel concierge desk and go to the parks. When it's time to leave, go straight to the station and pick up your bags at the same Express counter and board the train.

It saves time and energy on both days and I thought it was an excellent service.

You won't find the service on the Eurostar web-site, so you're better off to book the train along with your Disney package on Disney's site. Apparently you can also buy the service upon arrival at the Express desk and check in at that point.

• Theme Park Trips

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Paris to London

by walterwu Written Jul 27, 2011

Eurostar

Took an early Eurostar train from Paris to London.

Arrived at Gare du Nord station and the direction signs are clear and concise. Scanned our e-ticket on the validation machine. Didn't have any problem getting to the Border Police (french and british next to each other). After clearing, move to platform and boarded the train.

Train ride is rather smooth and within 2 hours, we were in London's Saint Pancras International Station.

On board the train, there are power outlet (at the sides of the window seats) that you can connect your electronic devices to or use to charge your electronic devices before reaching London. European type 2 round pin outlet.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Arriving and Leaving Paris on Fast Trains

by riorich55 Written May 31, 2011

Our First Steps in France

As my Paris pages have been neglected somewhat in the almost 3 years since we visited Paris in September/October, 2008 I thought it high time to browse through my tips and pictures to see what I had neglected to add over the past couple of years. I figured I might as well start out with our arrival and departure into Paris and let all the other tips in between fill themselves out. Kind of like a folded up crepe with all the goodies in the middle.

Anyway, we arrived in Paris at Gare du Nord via the Eurostar from London. We had lost an hour due to the time change and had a few adventurous times getting on the Eurostar in London, but once we were settled in and the train left the station in London we had a very pleasant trip under the water and onto the main European continent. Our total time aboard the train was really just a little over 2 hours which went by very quickly as we made friends with a couple from Canada who along with their sister, who was living in Europe, engaged us in conversation almost the entire trip. I got a chance to get to the dining car for a bit to eat since we had to leave London, when the sun wasn't yet up.

Upon arrival at Gare du Nord (North Station) we rolled our baggage off the train and proceeded to the main area where we had to next figure out how to get some RER tickets for the RER B Line which would take us close to our hotel. We arrived around 11:15 a.m., so the crowds weren't too big. Anyway, I went over to a machine which again did not like my credit card (the London machines also did not like it) and so after stopping at information and asking where to buy tickets they directed me downstairs to a ticket window manned by actual people.

The line wasn't too overwhelming, but I did wait in line for about 20 minutes as the lady at the counter was in no hurry to service her customers. And then a couple of people before I was going to buy my tickets she shut her window. I heard comments that it was now her lunch time and even though her replacement was not finished with lunch all windows were closed. I'm thinking to myself, well I guess I'm in France. Anyway, a few minutes later the next window opened up with another young female ticket seller. A few minutes later I bought my RER ticket and also asked for a carnet of tickets for the Metro. She thought she was through selling me tickets when I bought the RER ticket and when I asked for the carnet of tickets she just sort of looked at me and sighed. And once again I'm thinking to myself, I hope this is not going to be typical of the French people (fortunately it was not with one other small exception at another train station).

We found the RER and took a short 20 minute ride to the Denfort-Rochdreau where it was an easy 15 minute downhill walk to our hotel.

4 days later on our way out of town we took the Metro by our hotel (we were veteran's with the Metro after 4 days in town) and took it to the Gare de l'est (East Station) for our TGV high speed train ride to Bern, Switzerland. While we were waiting for our train track # to be posted (we got there plenty early), Sue grabbed a quick bite to eat (picture 2) and we struck up a conversation with an American couple on their way to Italy. Our track was finally put on the board and luckily for me I had had a chance to walk around the huge station because our track was on the other side of a wall in an adjacent area next to the main station. Settling into an almost empty (1 other person) car, I thought that, "wow this is strange I thought there would be more people on this train". About 5 minutes before departure a group of 4 and 5 year olds with their adult chaperones boarded the train. That's a story for another tip.

• Seniors
    • Study Abroad

• Markyreid's Profile Photo

5 Day Travel Pass

by Markyreid Updated Apr 4, 2011

We purchased our travel card from the Eurostar station at Waterloo before departure and had no trouble using it in Paris. It was very convenient to be able to catch any of the metro, buses or trains within Paris and not worry about having money to purchase another ticket. On one occassion we had to purchase a ticket to return to Paris from the Versailles Palace, this only cost a little over 2 euro. Our Ticket enabled us to travel from Zones 1-3 and was enough for our 5 day visit. Well worth the money.

• Maria81's Profile Photo

Paris from London: Eurostar

by Maria81 Written Jan 12, 2010
    Stained glass in Paris

Even though it's not particularly tolerant of cold weather, Eurostar for me remains the preferred way of getting to Paris from London (and I've done this plenty of times, since my visa normally requires me to enter the Schengen zone via France and Paris is just the easiest thing to do).

After the recent upgrades, it takes just over 2 hours city centre to city centre, which is faster (once you include check-in time and time spent getting to and from the airports) and with way less hassle than by plane (although you still get all the security queues and rules stopping you from going through security with an open bottle of mineral water).

There are trains from about 5 or 6 in the morning until late evening, and (provided you do not need a high degree of flexibility with your ticket) a first class return could be obtained for about 200 EUR, with second class often under half the amount. More expensive than the train, but where it loses on price it winds on convenience

• Photography
    • Architecture

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Eurostar (Gare du Nord)

by gordonilla Written Nov 7, 2009

Eurostar

Travelling from Paris to London - very civilised and quick. There are three classes on board the service - standard, leisure and business.

Leisure and business class offer refreshments on board - and with business you can enjoy their lounge.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Cheaper fares if catching Eurostar from London?

by MikeBird Written Apr 13, 2009

Eurostar

I hadn't realised that if you have tickets on the Eurostar trains you qualify for discounted rail fares from your home station to London.
    I was lucky that when I went to my local station in Bedfordshire to buy our tickets prior to travelling, the clerk in the station ticket office asked me if I happened to be going on Eurostar. When I said yes he immediately offered us the cheaper rates for the tickets which saved about £35 for the 4 of us. Unfortunately we had to travel at the peak time into London and it would have cost us over £120 but in the end we paid about £85.
    The tip here is to buy your tickets in advance and say that you have Eurostar tickets - even better take them with you when you purchase your London bound tickets and you should be able to get a substantial saving.

Visit the excellent website below for more details.
    Have a good trip,
    Mike

• Business Travel

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Eurostar: London - Paris return

by MikeBird Updated Feb 20, 2009

Eurostar trains at St Pancras, London

By booking well in advance and accepting a ticket that has no flexibility whatsoever we were able to buy 4 return fares for £216 ( February 2009). I thought that was pretty good value.
    The train experience was also highly satisafactory. It left on time, was smooth, comfortable and altogether a very pleasant journey - in both directions.

I think my only criticism would be that at Paris Gare du Nord station the signs indicating where to check-in did not seem to be very obvious. It was only by chance that we spotted a noticeboard to take the escalator behind us that we knew where to go. Not much of a criticism really!

Check-in consisted of feeding the card tickets into a machine which then triggered the rotating gate. There were two passport control checks in Paris outbound and the usual security scanners. Once through all of these we waited in a holding area until the train departure was called. We then had about 15 minutes to board the train and find our reserved seats. I understand that only tickets with seat reservations are allowed - there's no standing in the aisles on Eurostar. It really was very easy and straightforward. The entire journey with the 30 minute minimum check-in time was just over 3 hours. Très bien Eurostar.

• Paris to London - the Cheapo way

by timbarnett Written Jun 18, 2008

Well, the regular return fare from Paris to London with Eurostar is €77. But, at this late stage, and especially for travel out late Friday or early Saturday, the fares really hike up. Even as much as €200 one way. So here the lesson is to book ahead. I'm not sure the HARESFARES options are that great. Of the five options they suggest, two of the airlines don't even fly from Paris to London. Their website is not that great. But the Paris to London distance is so short, why not just train and ferry? Plenty of options using local trains to Dieppe, ferry to Newhaven, then train into London. Or via Calais-Dover, but the onward fares Dover to London are more than from Newhaven. Travel via Dieppe or Le Havre and book the Southern one-day rover for Newhaven to London (book online, only available if pre-booked), and you can do the whole journey for €55. Or bus one way is €50, and actually more comfortable than you might expect. So much depends on where in the Paris area exactly you might be staying and to where in the London region you might be going. For example, I was in northern France last week and flew direct to Brighton for €104. Brighton is I know not London, but as my destination was Croydon, it was just 45 minutes on a direct train from the airport to Croydon. Tim Barnett

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Eurostar - London to Paris

by amapola66 Updated Feb 27, 2008

Eurostar from London to PAris - TAke your own sand

Was looking forward to my trip to Paris on Eurostar especially as I hate to fly! Trouble started at Brighton where my train had been cancelled & after much swapping of trains and running at high speed with suitcase I made it to the Eurostar terminal only to find the most outrageous queues I have ever seen. Had to find the ticket office to retrieve my ticket but the place was so packed it was nearly impossible to reach. Eventually got there and the manner of the staff was not helpful-I swear the person directly in front of me had smoke coming out of their ears! Train due to leave & still not on it. The hold up was the new security checks (understandable, but why only 2 baggage screeners on a busy Friday?)Tetchy staff said the train would wait. Finally on train an announcement came over that the train couldn't leave as they had 'mislaid the driver' - along with some rather unnerving giggling. Left over an hr late with little in the way of apology. Had been looking forward to my 'luxury' 3 course meal which I booked to start my weekend of rest. If I ate on the train I wouldn't have to eat in Paris until later when meeting up with KB. What a dissappointment -There was nothing for a semi-veggy (& WHO serves a CHICKEN omelet with a MEAT SAUSAGE?!) except a stale wrap from the bar-cost 20eu resembling the worst airline food & all '3' courses served on a plastic tray at once-dreadful. Drank as much of the champagne as poss to make myself feel better with a few other disgruntled people.If you are on your own book a single seat, you may get a rude businessman conducting his business at high volume all the way through your trip. The train then stopped againwhere giggly girls announced there would be a delay while the driver 'did his thing'. Doesn't give you confidence in transport safety. More delays while the train rerouted elsewhere due to some tech problems meant that I arrived in Paris late, a bit sozzled & v. hungry. The bad tempered staff (& food!) leaving a bad taste in my mouth. A total letdown & not cheap.

• Women's Travel