Taxis, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

This was a hens night
    by Manwell
  • Taxis
    by Manwell
    BP beltway coming into Paris on the left
    by gwened
  • Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo

GOING BY TAXI

by Lady_Mystique Updated Aug 23, 2006

Parisien Taxi ~ Photoshop

TAXIS IN PARIS ARE EXPENSIVE

'Tarif A' , the basic rate, is in effect in Paris 7am-7pm (€0.60 per km).

'Tarif B', is in effect Monday to Saturday 7pm-7am, all day Sunday, and during the day from the airports and immediate suburbs (€1 per km).

'Tarif C', the highest, is in effect from the airports 7pm-7am (€1.20 per km).
    In addition, there is a 'prix en charge' (base fee) of €2.

~ You should wait for taxis at the nearest taxi stand; oftentimes, taxis will not stop if you attempt to flag them down on the street.
    ~ Lines at taxi stands can get long in the late afternoon during the week and on weekend nights.
    ~ Should you call a taxi rather than hail one at a taxi stand, the base fee will increase according to how far away you are and how long it takes the driver to get there.

~ For all cabs, stationary time (at traffic lights and in traffic jams) costs €24.30 per hr.
    ~ Additional charges (€0.90) are added for luggage over 5kg.
    ~ Taxis take three passengers; there is a €2.45 charge for a fourth.
    ~ Some take credit cards (AmEx/MC/V).

• thinking's Profile Photo

A few words about taxis in Paris

by thinking Written Aug 12, 2006

I call for a taxi. Immediately after the call, I go to the appointed spot for his arrival. I wait for about 15-25 minutes for him to arrive. When he does, I get in and noticed that there was €12 already on the meter. My whole fare to get to the office was only €10, so I enquire about the meter already having a large fare, he tells me that he turned it on while he was waiting for me. I said, "I was here the whole time waiting for you!" He said rather sheepishly, "oh, well, I'll knock some off when we get to the destination." I said, "no thanks", and got out of the taxi.

A Parisian taxi will charge you an extra €1 if you have bags -- even if you carry them or load them into the trunk yourself.

If you call a taxi to pick you up, the fare starts from wherever the taxi starts from to get you -- no matter how far away he starts, something you have no control over.

Sometimes, I need a taxi just because I have a lot of heavy bags even though the distance may be only 2-5 kilometers. Once I asked a taxi in a taxi rank to take me to Porte Maillot from La Défense so that I could catch the Air France Bus to Charles De Gaulle Airport. He seemed excited at first, jumping into action on the words "Charles De Gaulle". When I explained again that I only want to go to Porte Maillot (about 2.5 Kms away) he said, "Take the Métro!"

Once I was struggling with about 5 bags of groceries in the rain, in a remote part of town. I flagged down an idle taxi off the street and told him where I was going about 5 Km away... he said "no" and took off. A few minutes later, he pulled back up and said "OK". Apparently, his conscience got to him.

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• cckbp7's Profile Photo

BMW Taxis

by cckbp7 Written Aug 3, 2006

With the accessability of the Paris metro, you don't really need to take a cab anywhere. That being said, on my first trip to Paris, we did end up taking a taxi once we got lost trying to find our hotel. Always get good directions to your hotel. Luckily, it wasn't an old yellow cab, but a brand new BMW that we got to ride in. The way the driver was all suited up, it looked like he was driving a limo. After the stress of being lost, it was nice to arrive at our hotel in luxery. Don't be afraid to call a cab if you get lost, remember you're on vacation.

• Varinia's Profile Photo

Taxis versus Metro

by Varinia Updated Aug 1, 2006

Taxis are the worst form of transportation in Paris, for a tourist who doesn't speak French.
    Taxis really will rip you off big time. My friends, Paris has a great city planning and the best metro in the world, use the Metro. The French metro is inexpensive, practical and functional.

I have to say the Swiss public transportation is spotless but expensive, punctual as their watches.

• Taxi what taxis

by assmac123 Written Jun 23, 2006

Taxis a total nightmare in the evenings the drivers just charge whatever they feel like charging it is really poor the attitude of some of the drivers--as you get people trying to get a lift home for free they stop taxi drivers in the street and ask are you on your way home can you drop me of her monsuir please free of charge --the taxi drivers say "NO" and speed off it is crazy later on trying to deal with these guys..but can be good fun as well but i did see the funny side of it $40 euros to get back to my hotel and the driver getting lost and showing me half of the city has he had no idea where the hotel we were staying was at even with gps.....

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• mariev's Profile Photo

Hep - TAXI !!!

by mariev Updated May 27, 2006

Taxi roof top

Paris taxis come in all colors but all have the same white sign on the roof "Taxi parisien".

You can see if a taxi is available when the white sign on the top is lit. You can't hail a cab in the street if less then 50 meters from a taxi rank: go to the rank and take the 1st cab of the line (but you can chose an other eg if you need a larger one)

Most taxis work by GPS, generally you get the cab within 10mn after calling. It's a bit more expensive than going to a rank since the meter starts running from the time the taxi is called not from the time it picks you.

The rates are fixed by the 'prefecture de police' ( the fare card is displayed on the rear left window of the car), controlled (the coloured lights under the roof sign are rate indicators) and shown on the meter and trough the back window.
    Extra charges apply for 4th & 5th passenger, luggage, bulky items (none for wheelchair).
    Taxis accept cash in € (Visa or Mastercard for some equiped ones).

Some prices - normal traffic,no supplements:
    Between 2 Parisian railway stations less than 15€.
    From Paris downtown to CDG airport :40-45 € by day and 45-50 € by night.
    From Paris downtown to Orly airport : 25-30 € by day and 30-35 € by night

You have the right to choose your itinerary and, the driver must give you a receipt if you ask for one
    A taxi can refuse a drunk person, refuse you in the last 30 minutes of his shift if your destination is not on his way to his garage or if your destination is out of the parisian taxis area

Not all taxis are fluent in english (and many tourists mispronounce french names): Have the address you want to go to written down for the driver

Usefull numbers
    List of taxi ranks www.paris-taxi.com/page41.html
    Taxis G7 - 01 47 39 47 39 -www.taxisg7.fr (taxis for disabled people available)
    Taxis bleus - 08 25 16 10 10 - 01 49 36 10 10 www.taxis-bleus.com

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• xstacey's Profile Photo

Taxis (airport and around Paris)

by xstacey Updated Mar 11, 2006

When flying in from another country into Paris you have the option of taking the train, or getting a taxi. If you have more than one small bag, and there's more than one of you, I would recommend taking a taxi to your hotel. It's no fun dragging your bags through the subways. If traffic isn't especially heavy you should be able to get to Paris center for about 30-40 EUR - and it's totally worth ever penny!

For getting around Paris, for me i thought it was worth it for a few areas that would have just taken a little to much time to walk or it was too cold - when you're traveling with one or two people it only ends up costing a couple Euros per person anyway. If convenience is a priority for you then i think the taxis will serve you well, as they did us.

TAXI STANDS: Be sure to look for your taxi at the designated stand, otherwise, they will not stop for you.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Solution for Tired Feet

by CALSF Written May 17, 2005

Taxis are the most expensive mode of transportation. However, if you have toured the Louvre or have walked from St. Germain to the Arc de Triomphe or have done tons of shopping, you will be tired. Your feet will be killing you. And the last thing on your mind is boarding the crowded metro to stand some more.

If you are bothered by the above as I am many times, search for the nearest taxi stand. They are usually outside the department stores, hotels, and dotted around Paris. It costs a few euro for a short ride, but in my opinion, when you are overtired, it's well worth it to take a taxi.

• From Moulin Rouge to Opera District

by annie25 Updated Apr 14, 2005

Outside Moulin Rouge

A 5-minute ride in an (unregistered) taxi from Moulin Rouge back to Hotel Mercure Monty (Opera) cost us 50 Euros. After the show it is very hard to catch a taxi so it is better that you book a registered taxi in advance. The "taxi" driver did not have any kind of meter and we had to pay the amount just the same.

• tomerik's Profile Photo

Taxis in Paris

by tomerik Updated Mar 27, 2005

Firstly, the Metro system in Paris is well structured and efficient. Once you understand the system it is fun to take.
    On the other hand, taxis in Paris are not expensive and you will save yourself, not only a lot of walking (the metro tunnel system is enormous) but also a lot of valuable time by jumping into a taxi.
    Especially if you're in Paris for a limited period of time.

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Taxi for up to 8 people !

by nygaston Written Mar 26, 2005

Practical information
    22, rue de la Prývoyanceý94300ýVINCENNES
    Subway : Ecole Militaireý
    telephone number : 01 43 65 55 55ý
    fax : 01 43 65 55 57ý
    email : reservation@airport-connection.comý
    www.airport-connection.com

Activity : Minibus shuttle service (8 passengers) door to door between Paris and the airports of Roissy Charles de Gaulle and Orly (south and west). Shared or private car service for groups or individuals. Reservations necessary. 7 days per week and 365 days per year. Fixed prices (luggage included).ý

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Do you need a taxi ?

by nygaston Written Mar 15, 2005

Taxi numbers are displayed at the taxi ranks and listed in the yellow pages.
    www.pagesjaunes.fr (in English and French)

These include :
    Taxi Bleus (tel: (01) 4936 1010),
    Alpha Taxis (tel: (01) 4585 8585) and
    Abeille Radio Taxi (tel: (01) 4583 5933).

Taxis:
    Taxis can be hailed at airports, stations and at taxi ranks (arrêts taxis) but can be hard to find, especially when most in demand - Friday and Saturday nights. A yellow light displayed on the roof shows that the taxi is available for hire; an orange light shows the taxi is in use.

A daytime journey in central Paris tends to cost FFr40-FFr80/EUR6-10 (tariff A). Journeys after 1900, on Sundays, bank holidays and in the suburbs are more expensive (tariff B). The most expensive rate (tariff C) applies for the suburbs and airports at night and districts outside Paris during the day. There are additional charges for pick-up (about FFr13/EUR2), pick-up at a mainline station (FFr5/EUR0.80), waiting time (about FFr135/EUR20.50 an hour), a fourth passenger (FFr10/EUR1.50 but always ask the driver first) and for luggage (FFr6/EUR0.90 per item over 5kg).

Tipping is not compulsory but drivers expect about 10%.

• Don't just get into any car in the taxi ranks!!

by kcbrit Updated Feb 26, 2005

When we arrived in Paris at the Gare du Nord we went outside to get a taxi. We waited and waited but no taxis pulled up to us. Eventiually a little guy came up and asked if we wanted a taxi. We said yes and followed him around the corner to a little car. Against our better instincts we got in and let the guy take to our hotel at breakneck speed. We later found out he was an illegal taxi and has overcharged us by 10 Euros. we laugh about it now but you should know that at Gare du Nord you order your taxi inside!!!

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Taxis

by IIGUANA Written Feb 17, 2005

Taxis are a good way to go around Paris. They are quick, not very expensive (cheaper if you're 3) and quite comfortable. Be sure to be just 3, as Paris' taxis do not take people in the front seat. If a taxist does, he will overcharge you without telling you anything, so be prepared.

• Jtodd's Profile Photo

Taxis in Paris

by Jtodd Written Jan 30, 2005

This was a new one for me. I had my hotel call for a taxi and he arrived with a 12 Euro tab on the meter and began to drive off to my destination. I asked if we was going to clear the meter and he said no.

Apparently, the meter starts running once he is called so you are paying for the time it takes him to pick you up in ADDITION to what you are paying for your trip. I've never experienced this before.

He explained that no taxis would respond to calls without this policy?

Instant Answers: Paris