Taxis, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

This was a hens night
    by Manwell
  • Taxis
    by Manwell
    BP beltway coming into Paris on the left
    by gwened
  • jenn_d's Profile Photo

Taxi

by jenn_d Written Dec 5, 2004

Taxi's from CDG to the center of Paris cost about 40 Euro. Same travel tips apply to Parisian taxi drivers as anywhere else. We had some friendly drivers who helped us considerably and a couple of others who made up "laws" about the fare. We only took taxis after the metro closed for the night. Communication was rarely a problem. Never the less I generally keep the name and address of my hotel written on a little card that I can hand to the driver just in case. I do this no matter my destination.

• Fisher1969's Profile Photo

Small taxis for big people

by Fisher1969 Written Oct 29, 2004
    cool heh

Taxis in Paris were a problem for us as we had a group of 5. (My partner Chris and I and 3 kids( 11,13,15). On our first night we went on a late night bus tour(not recoommended)
    Anyway we needed to get a taxi back from the tour company office and it was quite late (midnight). We decided to walk a little bit because there was no taxis in site, plus walking is a cool way to see things. When we finally got a taxi it would only take 3 of us so Nathan and I stayed behind and sent the others off(stupidly we gave them the card with the hotel name and address on it) Anyway Nathan and I were left waiting on the street for like and hour before a taxi stopped. We did get home safely but maybe for grups of 3 or more the taxis in Paris and not viable. Because they are reasonably priced but not if you need to take 2 everywhere- FUNNY EXTRA when Nathan and I did get a taxi neither of us could remember the name or exact address of our hotel. Anyway I don't speak french very well (not at all really) and the taxi driver didnt speak much English. So I said to him in my best Australian "i think I need to go to Sant Micheal street, mate" he looked at me like I was covered in outback flies and said "Wee Wee san Michelle boulavard" so I looked at him and said "Yea Cob, take me to st mickeys, mate" Anyway just tip for larger groups use buses and trains. Or boats

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Easiest (But Not Cheapest) Access Into Paris

by CALSF Updated Aug 16, 2004

The taxi we took from CDG to Hotel Verneuil

I realize that taxis are quite expensive from CDG into Paris proper. But in my personal opinion, it's the simplest, least stressful means of transportation to get to Paris.

Once you clear immigration/customs at CDG and exit through the Arrivals Hall, there will be quite a few unsolicited "taxi drivers" trying to get your attention. Do NOT accept any offer from them as these are not official Parisian taxi drivers (Taxi Parisien).

Instead make a slight left and walk through the exit doors onto the sidewalk where there is an official taxi stand. You'll see many people in a queue so just take your place in line which goes fast.

The approximate cost from CDG into the Paris city center is 45 euro plus 1 euro each for additional pieces of luggage. Tip should be 10% or round up the total.

If you want to take a taxi from your hotel to CDG have the hotel desk staff reserve one the day before you depart.

• terrimae1972's Profile Photo

Avoid taxi's in train stations

by terrimae1972 Written Oct 26, 2003

Please avoid overzealous cab drivers in Paris. After getting off of the eurorail in Gard de Nord train station, I was talked into taking a taxi by a unassuming guy waiting for passengers to get off the train. To make a long story short , I asked him how much the ride would be and he said something like 10 Euro-so I said fine and we proceeded to go to the hotel. After arriving at the hotel he says "okay-35 Euro! I could not believe I had been taken like that when I could have just jumped on the Metro located in or near the station for a fraction of what I paid for the taxi ride.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Taxis

by DunaKal Updated Jul 2, 2003

infront of the Louvre

After few days in Paris,we started to use the Taxis,it costed the same as buying 4 tickets at the Metro or using the Taxi for a nearby place(4 tickets in the metro costed 11Eros),and going from our Hotel(Le Meridien Etoile)to Saint Michel cosed us the same.And you get to enjoy the airconditioned car.But never use in a rush hour.
    You can NOT stop a taxi anywhere you need to find a taxi station in order to get into one ;-)

• BlkSnowBunny's Profile Photo

Well, I try not to take cabs...

by BlkSnowBunny Written Aug 26, 2002

Well, I try not to take cabs in Paris because the cab drivers just freak me out.

The best and cheapest way I found was with the bus ...at lest then you get to see sights.

There is also the metro but not much to see but dark lights and shady men.

If you can manage, walking is always a great adventure.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Taxi!

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

You don't need to have seen many films with Jean-Paul Belmondo or Jean Reno to realise that the French make Italian drivers seem like old ladies on their way to church. Stepping into a taxi in Paris is an experience akin to bungee-jumping over a shark-filled pool. Just shut your eyes, take the plunge and very soon - they don't hang about, you know - it'll be over. And if you think driving around the city is bad, just wait until you take a taxi to the airport and the driver finds some space to change lanes on the autoroute.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Why, Plane, Train and...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Why, Plane, Train and Automobile, of course! ;-)

As expected, taxi fares aren't cheap in Paris. Let's see, from CDG airport to the Opera (center of Paris) district, our taxi fare was 300FF. And that is because we arrived in the wee hours of the morning = no traffic jam.

If there's a heavy traffic jam, like what we encountered one night, it'd be hell. For example, we took a cab from le Grand Hotel to Champs Elysees for dinner one night (which is really quite near but not near enough to walk though!), we were caught in the jam for almost 30 minutes. The fare we had to pay eventually? 100FF!!

Oh, and AVOID taking cabs directly in front of metro stations. Walk several blocks from the station and then seek out a cabstand. You'll soon discover that your cab fare will be reduced by as much as half!!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Taxis

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 24, 2013

IPG's out on the town

Hailing a taxi in Paris is very easy and quite convenient especially if there are more than two people traveling together. The taxi drivers in Paris are very pleasant and most of them speak English.

Instant Answers: Paris