Taxis, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxis
    by Manwell
    This was a hens night
    by Manwell
  • Multipassenger taxis towards Paris on the A1
    Multipassenger taxis towards Paris on...
    by gwened
  • Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo

GOING BY TAXI

by Lady_Mystique Updated Aug 23, 2006

Parisien Taxi ~ Photoshop

TAXIS IN PARIS ARE EXPENSIVE

'Tarif A' , the basic rate, is in effect in Paris 7am-7pm (€0.60 per km).

'Tarif B', is in effect Monday to Saturday 7pm-7am, all day Sunday, and during the day from the airports and immediate suburbs (€1 per km).

'Tarif C', the highest, is in effect from the airports 7pm-7am (€1.20 per km).
    In addition, there is a 'prix en charge' (base fee) of €2.

~ You should wait for taxis at the nearest taxi stand; oftentimes, taxis will not stop if you attempt to flag them down on the street.
    ~ Lines at taxi stands can get long in the late afternoon during the week and on weekend nights.
    ~ Should you call a taxi rather than hail one at a taxi stand, the base fee will increase according to how far away you are and how long it takes the driver to get there.

~ For all cabs, stationary time (at traffic lights and in traffic jams) costs €24.30 per hr.
    ~ Additional charges (€0.90) are added for luggage over 5kg.
    ~ Taxis take three passengers; there is a €2.45 charge for a fourth.
    ~ Some take credit cards (AmEx/MC/V).

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Easiest (But Not Cheapest) Access Into Paris

by CALSF Updated Aug 16, 2004

The taxi we took from CDG to Hotel Verneuil

I realize that taxis are quite expensive from CDG into Paris proper. But in my personal opinion, it's the simplest, least stressful means of transportation to get to Paris.

Once you clear immigration/customs at CDG and exit through the Arrivals Hall, there will be quite a few unsolicited "taxi drivers" trying to get your attention. Do NOT accept any offer from them as these are not official Parisian taxi drivers (Taxi Parisien).

Instead make a slight left and walk through the exit doors onto the sidewalk where there is an official taxi stand. You'll see many people in a queue so just take your place in line which goes fast.

The approximate cost from CDG into the Paris city center is 45 euro plus 1 euro each for additional pieces of luggage. Tip should be 10% or round up the total.

If you want to take a taxi from your hotel to CDG have the hotel desk staff reserve one the day before you depart.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Thumbs up for the Taxis.....

by Maryimelda Updated Oct 21, 2009

I feel I need to put in a good word for the taxi drivers of Paris. I have had bad experiences with taxis in other European cities but never in Paris and as good as the Metro, RER and buses are, there are times when a taxi is the best option. For example, very early in the morning when you have a train to catch from Paris de l'Este and you are staying in Montparnasse. I took a taxi at 6.30am which cost just 10Euro80. the driver was very pleasant and helped me with my luggage into the station. Similarly we travelled to Orly from Porte d'Orleans at 4.30am and the cost which we had been told would be in the region of 30 Euro was in fact, 23 Euro. So don't be afraid to take a taxi in Paris, you won't be ripped off.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

by BeatChick Updated Feb 3, 2008

Taxi Stand outside of Brasserie Lipp

I've taken 7 taxis in Paris during 4 trips:

1st trip, taxi ride to CDG airport took 20 or 30 minutes (mid-morning traffic) - plus tip the cost was 40€ (about $40USD).

2nd trip, I feared I may be late in getting to Nôtre Dame for the Pâques (Easter) celebration. Caught a taxi at Métro St-Paul. From the Marais on a Sunday was 5€ including tip. The driver seemed pleased & I was first in line for the ceremony.

3rd ride, which was the best, was past midnight when I feared I wouldn't make my Metro connection from the taxi stand at Place Maubert in the Latin Quarter to Place d'Anvers in Montmartre. I negotiated a rate of 15 euros but it was actually less. The guy took me straight from one area to the other while taking me past beautifully lit monuments regaling me with stories of his days of living in Sri Lanka & while we discussed Elvis Presley & John Lennon - best ride of my life!

4th trip was from rue d'Orsel in the 18th to the Hotel Chopin - for 16euros. A total rip-off. When he showed up the price on the meter was 10euros & then 6 more racked up during that trip (which should have been short) where he zig-zagged east & west racking up the charge.

5th trip was great, too, we went straight from Gare de Lyon to my hotel in the Latin Quarter (Hotel les Degres de Notre Dame) - nothing scary & a beautiful ride at night, no needless zigzagging.

6th trip was also one of the best - from the hotel in the Latin Quarter to CDG airport - the guy was fast, efficient, took me straight to the correct gate - got there in TWENTY-FIVE minutes (of course, it was Sunday so hardly any traffic) and about 50euros. I was completely satisfied.

7th trip was in Nov '07 - a lady from the hotel & I shared a taxi from near Les Gobelins to CDG; my share was 28euro.

CityFlash has maps that shows all the Taxi Stands in central Paris - very much worth the $5!

Photo: Feb 06

• Singles

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Do you need a taxi ?

by nygaston Written Mar 15, 2005

Taxi numbers are displayed at the taxi ranks and listed in the yellow pages.
    www.pagesjaunes.fr (in English and French)

These include :
    Taxi Bleus (tel: (01) 4936 1010),
    Alpha Taxis (tel: (01) 4585 8585) and
    Abeille Radio Taxi (tel: (01) 4583 5933).

Taxis:
    Taxis can be hailed at airports, stations and at taxi ranks (arrêts taxis) but can be hard to find, especially when most in demand - Friday and Saturday nights. A yellow light displayed on the roof shows that the taxi is available for hire; an orange light shows the taxi is in use.

A daytime journey in central Paris tends to cost FFr40-FFr80/EUR6-10 (tariff A). Journeys after 1900, on Sundays, bank holidays and in the suburbs are more expensive (tariff B). The most expensive rate (tariff C) applies for the suburbs and airports at night and districts outside Paris during the day. There are additional charges for pick-up (about FFr13/EUR2), pick-up at a mainline station (FFr5/EUR0.80), waiting time (about FFr135/EUR20.50 an hour), a fourth passenger (FFr10/EUR1.50 but always ask the driver first) and for luggage (FFr6/EUR0.90 per item over 5kg).

Tipping is not compulsory but drivers expect about 10%.

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Taxi for up to 8 people !

by nygaston Written Mar 26, 2005

Practical information
    22, rue de la Prývoyanceý94300ýVINCENNES
    Subway : Ecole Militaireý
    telephone number : 01 43 65 55 55ý
    fax : 01 43 65 55 57ý
    email : reservation@airport-connection.comý
    www.airport-connection.com

Activity : Minibus shuttle service (8 passengers) door to door between Paris and the airports of Roissy Charles de Gaulle and Orly (south and west). Shared or private car service for groups or individuals. Reservations necessary. 7 days per week and 365 days per year. Fixed prices (luggage included).ý

• mariev's Profile Photo

Hep - TAXI !!!

by mariev Updated May 27, 2006

Taxi roof top

Paris taxis come in all colors but all have the same white sign on the roof "Taxi parisien".

You can see if a taxi is available when the white sign on the top is lit. You can't hail a cab in the street if less then 50 meters from a taxi rank: go to the rank and take the 1st cab of the line (but you can chose an other eg if you need a larger one)

Most taxis work by GPS, generally you get the cab within 10mn after calling. It's a bit more expensive than going to a rank since the meter starts running from the time the taxi is called not from the time it picks you.

The rates are fixed by the 'prefecture de police' ( the fare card is displayed on the rear left window of the car), controlled (the coloured lights under the roof sign are rate indicators) and shown on the meter and trough the back window.
    Extra charges apply for 4th & 5th passenger, luggage, bulky items (none for wheelchair).
    Taxis accept cash in € (Visa or Mastercard for some equiped ones).

Some prices - normal traffic,no supplements:
    Between 2 Parisian railway stations less than 15€.
    From Paris downtown to CDG airport :40-45 € by day and 45-50 € by night.
    From Paris downtown to Orly airport : 25-30 € by day and 30-35 € by night

You have the right to choose your itinerary and, the driver must give you a receipt if you ask for one
    A taxi can refuse a drunk person, refuse you in the last 30 minutes of his shift if your destination is not on his way to his garage or if your destination is out of the parisian taxis area

Not all taxis are fluent in english (and many tourists mispronounce french names): Have the address you want to go to written down for the driver

Usefull numbers
    List of taxi ranks www.paris-taxi.com/page41.html
    Taxis G7 - 01 47 39 47 39 -www.taxisg7.fr (taxis for disabled people available)
    Taxis bleus - 08 25 16 10 10 - 01 49 36 10 10 www.taxis-bleus.com

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Taxi

by jenn_d Written Dec 5, 2004

Taxi's from CDG to the center of Paris cost about 40 Euro. Same travel tips apply to Parisian taxi drivers as anywhere else. We had some friendly drivers who helped us considerably and a couple of others who made up "laws" about the fare. We only took taxis after the metro closed for the night. Communication was rarely a problem. Never the less I generally keep the name and address of my hotel written on a little card that I can hand to the driver just in case. I do this no matter my destination.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Avoid a taxi at any cost (yes a deliberate pun)!

by aussiedoug Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ir you don't feel confident using the Metro/Rail system to get from or back to, Charles de Gaulle (where I came into and left from) then try to get a shuttle, but try to avoid using a taxi.
    My hotel couldn't organise a shuttle for me at the time I was leaving on a Friday night (mind you I saw another company's shuttle drive past while I was waiting for my taxi!!) so I took a taxi and it cost me over 40 Euros, by the time I added a tip it worked out pretty close to 90 Australian dollars. So when I say avoid it at all costs I mean that literally and metaphorically.
    Again I suggest using the Paris Forum to ask about this.
    I just found this url for a website for an airport shuttle - see below

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Solution for Tired Feet

by CALSF Written May 17, 2005

Taxis are the most expensive mode of transportation. However, if you have toured the Louvre or have walked from St. Germain to the Arc de Triomphe or have done tons of shopping, you will be tired. Your feet will be killing you. And the last thing on your mind is boarding the crowded metro to stand some more.

If you are bothered by the above as I am many times, search for the nearest taxi stand. They are usually outside the department stores, hotels, and dotted around Paris. It costs a few euro for a short ride, but in my opinion, when you are overtired, it's well worth it to take a taxi.

• Jtodd's Profile Photo

Taxis in Paris

by Jtodd Written Jan 30, 2005

This was a new one for me. I had my hotel call for a taxi and he arrived with a 12 Euro tab on the meter and began to drive off to my destination. I asked if we was going to clear the meter and he said no.

Apparently, the meter starts running once he is called so you are paying for the time it takes him to pick you up in ADDITION to what you are paying for your trip. I've never experienced this before.

He explained that no taxis would respond to calls without this policy?

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Early morning Taxi

by leanne_pearc Written Aug 19, 2011

We had booked an early morning easyjet flight that was leaving Paris at 7.00am and we had to be at the airport an hour before.

Taxis G7 were very reliable, we booked the night before and our driver was waiting downstairs 5 minutes before our booking. We made our flight and there was no traffic on the road at 5.30am!

To speak to an english operator; +33 (0)1 41 27 66 99

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

by IIGUANA Written Feb 17, 2005

Taxis are a good way to go around Paris. They are quick, not very expensive (cheaper if you're 3) and quite comfortable. Be sure to be just 3, as Paris' taxis do not take people in the front seat. If a taxist does, he will overcharge you without telling you anything, so be prepared.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Taxi

by GUYON Updated Apr 4, 2011

Taxis in Paris

After a short strike, the taxi drivers have obtained a raise of 3.1 pct (1st march 2008).
    The maximum price is :
    - a fix of 3.22 euros
    + 0.88 euros per kilometer
    +29.61 euros per hour when they are still (in a traffic jam for example) or at a very low speed.

The average cost within Paris is 12 to 20 euros. From an airport : 60 to 80 euros on Sunday (my personal experience) according to the distance and time
    If you start from a Railway station : + 1€ per luggage.
    The normal gratuity (tip) is 10%.
    Some accept credit cards.
    The best way to find a taxi is to go to a taxi station, generally at the corner of the street (there are 15.000 taxis in Paris but it is not enough for the demand).
    But if its roof light is on, you can call a taxi by the street when you are sufficiently lucky.
    There are 3 places in a taxi, 4 if the driver accepts a person at its right (we are not in London).
    The taxi drivers do not generally speak English (some do not speak correctly French) and they are often rude because it is not a profitable job. Be indulgent.
    On the picture : taxis place Denfert Rochereau (see The Lion of Belfort behind the cars)

• Disabilities

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

by DunaKal Updated Jul 2, 2003

infront of the Louvre

After few days in Paris,we started to use the Taxis,it costed the same as buying 4 tickets at the Metro or using the Taxi for a nearby place(4 tickets in the metro costed 11Eros),and going from our Hotel(Le Meridien Etoile)to Saint Michel cosed us the same.And you get to enjoy the airconditioned car.But never use in a rush hour.
    You can NOT stop a taxi anywhere you need to find a taxi station in order to get into one ;-)

Instant Answers: Paris