Métro & Trains, Paris

by goodfish
  • JudithG's Profile Photo

MOULIN ROUGE

by JudithG Written Jan 17, 2014

This is a travel tip for anyone who wants to go to the Moulin Rouge. My husband and I purchased tickets for dinner and the show ($600 bucks U.S) online. We were going to go on our last day in Paris (01/14/2014). We left for the Metro at 6pm. It should have only taken us 15 minutes. We were supposed to be there 30 minutes prior to dinner (dinner was at 7pm).
    Once we got on line 2 of the metro, it stopped. We were told it was having technical problems and we should get off and navigate around to the other side of the 2 and head back to get to our exit. No problem. This took us an extra 20 minutes. When we got on the 2. It started moving again. Once it did it stopped between stops. We were stuck on the Metro and could not get off for 2 hours. Once it started moving. It went to the next stop and Police officers came on board and told everyone to clear out and to leave the area. They would not tell us what to do.
    At this time, we were already over 2 hours late. And it would have taken at least another 30 minutes. So we made the best we could out of the situation and went to a restaurant with a beautiful view of the Eiffel Tower and had a wonderful dinner.
    When I contacted the Moulin Rouge to explain this to them. They basically said "Sorry for your troubles, but no refunds" They did say I could come back another night. But since this was our last night in Paris. We were out of luck.
    Now I know this is an extreme example that probably rarely happens. However, on vacations things happen. People get sick, you get lost, you find something better to do at the last minute. My suggestion is never buy tickets for this show online. Get to the box office early and get them at the show when you know for sure you can make it.
    Otherwise, you could be in our shoes. Out $600 bucks.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Keep your metro ticket!

by Dabs Updated Jun 16, 2013

If you are using single metro tickets, it's really easy to misplace your metro tickets or confuse them with the one you used yesterday, I've ended up with a pocket full of metro tickets on many occasions. I've seen a couple of reports of people being fined hefty amounts when they could not produce a valid metro ticket. We did see one person get pulled over for inspection, based on who I saw cheating the system, their profiling was spot on.

Taking the metro without paying seems to be a huge problem in Paris, there wasn't one time that we took it on this trip where someone wasn't jumping over or crawling under the turnstyles, pushing through two at a time, usually right in front of someone who worked there or in one case in front of the police!

When you get done with your ride, either throw out the old ticket, fold it or move it to another place. I got in the habit of putting the current ticket in the same spot and it worked fine on this trip.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Coming from the airport

by GentleSpirit Written May 7, 2013

I made this mistake the first time I came to Paris, I won't make it again. I arrived at CDG early in the morning after an uneventful flight from Washington. So right away I got some euros from the automat and found my way to the RER station. My destination was Cardinal Lemoine station in the Latin Quarter and I came armed with detailed instructions from my hotel that seemed easy enough to follow. Just a change of trains at Austerlitz, should be no problem.

This took place before the airlines started charging for baggage, though a fair argument could be made that I was still carrying too much, Anyway.

Paris subways were built in the 1800's and they clearly did not anticipate the fact that tourists were going to be schlepping bulky stuff or even oversize bags. I saw a few people struggling mightily with the turnstiles and all. The trains were roomy enough, it was still quite early after all.

But after going up and down escalators and long corridors,loading my stuff onto one train, off and then on and off another train. I arrived at my hotel and swore to myself I would never ever take the train from the airport again.

My suggestion is if you are carrying only a light bag go for it, it will save you some money. Otherwise it's too much a hassle for the minimal money you will save in the process.

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

"Helpful" youngsters at Gare du Nord

by CruisingGoddess Written Dec 5, 2012

We took the train from from London to Gare du Nord during our trip. We noticed there were many youngsters hanging around, mostly young men, who would clutter in small groups to chat and then break off. They would approach people in the station, especially those in line for the automated ticket machine, asking if they can help them. There were also young women with clipboards asking you to sign petitions. Having read many of the Warnings & Dangers, we knew most of these youngsters were pickpockets, looking for a chance to distract you, so my husband and I were extra vigilant. Simply ignore anyone who approaches you and asks you to sign something. If you do need assistance, go to an official information desk or ticket counter. While doing anything, such as buying tickets, looking at a map, reading signs, going to the restroom, etc., have someone in your party keep watch. Pickpockets tend to stay away from people who are aware of their surroundings and are less likely to be distracted.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Stand Behind The Yellow Line!

by lmkluque Updated Aug 29, 2012

Friendly? Police of Paris

Several times I was warned to stand behind the yellow line in Le Metro, or I might be pushed onto the tracks.

Finally I asked, "Why would anyone want to push me onto the tracks?"

"To get your purse." Was the reply.

"Well," I said, "If I’m going, my purse is going with me."

I did, however, stand behind the line and was never pushed into the tracks.

• Business Travel

• Thumper911's Profile Photo

Paris Metro: To Be Avoided Early Sunday Mornings

by Thumper911 Written Apr 8, 2012

I happened to need to be on the Metro one Sunday morning, where a gang of young men mugged one poor gentleman. They surrounded him and began to simply terrorize him. Two of the five had knives. Then, they began to simply injure him (superficial wounds, but bad enough), apparently for the entertainment value. The man had said or done nothing to provoke their attention. Everyone else on the car was terrified (mostly elderly) and looked away as if hoping not to be noticed. I intervened and summoned police and Metro staff (I am too large to fight with, apparently), and the gang finally took the man's wallet and fled. The police informed me that this was common on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Apparently these gangs of youths are from public housing (the Police explanation; not mine) projects in the suburbs. They come into the city for the evening...party all night...and then mug one or two people on the way home, both as a final form of entertainment and to recoup the night's expenses. They target people who look like they might have money, and who appear to be vulnerable. Be warned!

• Women's Travel
    • Disabilities

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

If Going to the Airport on the RER B or C

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 23, 2011

It's a good idea to check to make sure your train is operating as usual on the day you plan to take it to CDG or Orly.

I have listed two websites where you can check this.

• School Holidays

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Underground air vents.

by pfsmalo Written Jun 17, 2011

Ooooopppppsssss......

Mainly for women, this tip is to warn you about the inherent dangers of walking over the air vents of the metro when a train passes. Be very aware of the approach of a train as you may end up in an embarrassing situation, notwithstanding the clicks of numerous cameras. ^_^

• jamescurran's Profile Photo

Using the Phone at the Paris Nord train station

by jamescurran Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are arriving by train into Paris, bring a phone card with you if you plan on calling someone. There are several people around who jam the pay phones so they don't work and then they try and sell you phone cards. We got around it by asking someone to use his cell phone but it would have been better to have a phone card in advance.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Stairs and more stairs

by goodfish Written Mar 21, 2011

Whimsical m��tro entrance, Paris

Another good reason for taking one of the airport buses into/out of the city is that they pick you up and drop you off at street level, thus avoiding the RER and métro. As efficient as the trains are (when they're not on strike - ha!) the stations are underground and they either don't have escalators or lifts, or they're not working half the time. All those stairs can be a real pain with heavy luggage, strollers, wheelchairs or lousy knees.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Security?? Non-Express RER train CDG to Paris

by pedroswift Updated Nov 18, 2010

Not an original by me but I thought the advice well worth repeating. I've read subsequent advice that this is not an isolated case.

I've Cut & pasted this from forum so it's easy to find
    WARNING TO ALL TOURISTS TAKING RER B TRAIN TO/FROM AIRPORT
    Posted: Sun October 25, 2009 08:13 AM EST
    "hello, i found a recent experience here in Paris was so frightening that i am posting it on all websites for tourists to Paris.
    I witnessed an italian tourist almost beaten to death on the train by two young robbers from the airport to Paris around 8pm on the 22nd of October 2009. I got involved and was bashed around too by these kids. But unlike the italian tourist, i fought back (i know, i know...could have gotten killed).
    I find this incident rather bizarre because i am 47 woman and there were at least 5 men on the train in good enough physical condition to help. But the French are very passive when it comes to things like this. So, for your own safety, never, ever take the RER B from CDG airport to Gard du Nord UNLESS it is the nonstop train. The other one i took makes at least 5 or 6 stops in towns with some serious social problems. The police told me these younger adults make a fortune stealing cell phones and whatever from tourists. Thanks for posting this. Nani"

Good reason to catch the express Train Service or use bus, taxi or shuttle services.

• WARNING TO ALL TOURISTS TAKING RER B TRAIN FROM AI

by NANI123 Written Oct 25, 2009

I find this incident rather bizarre because i am 47 woman and there were at least 5 men on the train in good enough physical condition to help. So, for your own safety, never, ever take the RER B from CDG airport to Gard du Nord UNLESS it is the nonstop train. The other one i took makes at least 5 or 6 stops in towns with some serious soical problems. The police told me these younger adults make a fortune stealing cell phones and whatever from tourists. Thanks for posting this. Nani

• Business Travel

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Endless stairs to climb......

by Maryimelda Written Oct 9, 2009

At the Metro station Abbesses, which is a very popular starting point when visiting Montmartre there is something you should know. When leaving the station you will come upon a lift (ascenseur) and most probably there will be several people waiting to use it. BE WARNED..... if you have bad knees or feet, respiratory or heart problems etc. wait for the lift because the alternative is a mountain of stairs to climb before you will see daylight. I have it on good authority (Sally aka beausoleil) that these stairs number 287. Felt like 2,087 to me!

• Disabilities

• chellibean's Profile Photo

Buying Metro Tickets

by chellibean Written Sep 19, 2009

If you go up to the ticket booths in the metro and someone offers to help get you tickets, don't necessarily trust them. There are some who linger in those areas (particularly at the train stations) and offer to help buy you a week long ticket, then ask for the money to pay for it. In reality, they give you a one time use ticket. This happened to my friends and I. If at all possible, go to a booth with a person to buy the ticket, or just ask that nice person to put the instructions into english for you.

• beggars in stations

by oskap Written Aug 5, 2009

There seems to have been a huge increase in the number of beggars 'working' the main stations in Paris. No sooner have you arrived at Gare du Nord - entry and departure point for Eurostar, then someone will approach you and ask for money. If you grab a coffee and something to eat at one of the cafes you will no doubt be bothered and if you do not give them money they will demand some of your food.

Arriving at the Gare du Nord in a taxi, one of these women got in beside me to try and get money from my purse whilst my husband was dealing with the luggage. One of her friends tried to block my way out of the other door. There were at least three police in uniform looking on, they seemed to find my annoyance amusing. When I asked them in French why they did not do anything to protect travellers, they laughed in my face.

We had such problems with beggars on this trip it really spoilt our holiday. This begging is now big business, please do not give them money, it just encourages them. We won't be visiting Paris again for a long time - too expensive, too much hassle!

Instant Answers: Paris