Safety, Paris

Know about this?

• palais de chaillot walking over tour eiffel
    palais de chaillot walking over tour...
    near trocadero
    pl de la Republique
  • pedroswift's Profile Photo

Paris Police Advice on Safety

by pedroswift Updated Nov 18, 2010

Advice on all aspects of Safety

Find a policeman when you need one:

Addresses of the Police Stations in the 20 Arrondissements are listed on this page

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Bomb threat

by kris-t Updated Oct 10, 2010

Louver

When we were visiting Louver in less than 3 hrs we got an anounsment to exit the building - "For safety reasons we are asking all visitors to leave the museum..."

When we were leaving, we saw a backpack someone left on the lobby floor by itself...

The strange thing is - why they made all people from the whole museum go through the lobby with the "posible bomb" to leave Louver??? instead of exiting your nearest exit.

• Museum Visits

• geojean's Profile Photo

Gypsies

by geojean Written May 14, 2010

I have had encouters with Gypsies in Madrid, Rome and London. I found that if you just ignore them when they approach you and be very stern with them if they come near you. In Rome I stomped my feet and frightened them away. I also learned to bring little as possible of value (dont wear jewerly) keep your passport and money tucked away. I had a very close call in Madrid when I was in an internet cafe, I should have had my purse tucked under my feet. I had it next to me and a gypsy came behind my chair, I caught him in time and scared him off! That was my error for not paying attention and not keeping my purse wrapped around my feet or on my lap. Most of all just use common sense and mostly enjoy your trip, don't let that keep you from enjoying yourself. I was in Paris last year and was only approached once by gypsys, I just gave them a scowl and walked away from them.

• saskia1806's Profile Photo

Montmartre con-men

by saskia1806 Updated Apr 3, 2010

A word of warning if you do decide to go and see Sacre Coeur. Keep your hands in your pockets ( literally) as there are so-called 'string men' hanging around the area just at the bottom of the hill to con the unsuspecting traveller. They grab your arm, talk you full while starting to weave a string bracelet around your wrist. Happened to me on my first visit to Paris a couple of years ago. When they are finished they then try to charge you exorbitant prices for that bit of string ( 25 euro! about 8 years ago....probably more now, I avoided them because I was forewarned on my last trip there). Most of them are not menacing but it is quite unnerving (and not easy) trying to get away from them!
    hope this helps
    S

• Women's Travel

• Hippierose89's Profile Photo

Safety: as everybody seems to agree...

by Hippierose89 Updated Mar 29, 2010

I was lucky enough to stay in Paris for a month on my second trip. It was the first time I experienced a foreign capital city and by myself. I will agree with all those who said that Paris is safe in general. Of course, Place Pigalle is a no-no place if you're a girl and alone, you can be molested even during the day. Watch out for the little streets around place du Tertre, Montmartre. They sure are picturesque, but dark, and it is difficult to find your way out, if you aren't used. Be sure to avoid Gare du Nord after-hours (train station areas by night- need I say more?). I didn't have problems with pickpocketing, overpricing, drug-dealers or anything of the kind. It goes without saying that, as a traveler, your brain must positively be in your head and not floating about (even if the city's beauty is OVERWHELMING).

The best thing to do would be to, yes, speak a few words of french. It's exceptionally helpful ,especially when you need to ask for help, you'll find out that french are a lot more keen to help when they hear "au secours!" (yes, kinda stupid, but it's true). If you need directions, ask for them, and be sure to pick whom will help you. I always went for well-dressed women and men that seemed to be returning from their jobs. If you are in a "dangerous" area, by no means let the people around you understand you got lost (this tip goes for Omonoia in Athens and Quartieri Spagnoli In Naples as well). Gendarmes are at every corner of the main roads, ready to offer help. Be kind. Even if the French are used to tourists, try not to flaunt that you are one, try to familiarize with local traditions, tone of voice (don't speak too loudly) and politeness (make sure to greet shop owners, restaurant and cafes waiters and touristic guides with a "Bonjour" and a smile, with the necessary eye-contact, and you won't regret it!). Paris is the most amazing city in the world, and nothing will ever change this fact.

• Museum Visits

• satforce's Profile Photo

Paris is generally safe

by satforce Written Mar 30, 2009

I spent 4 days in Paris and I never felt in danger maybe because I am Arabic :) but in general watch you wallet and IGNORE people trying to ask you about something..

I was in Champs Elysee and one lady ask me: Do you speak English and I was happy: I said Yes yes and then she give me a paper saying "I lost all my famliy and bla bla ... and then .. Please give me 10 Euros... Just ignore them :D

• Girls Be carefull on the metro in paris

by Hilton1 Written Mar 1, 2009

as much as love paris i always seem to find myself in drama when i'm there.
    so the story goes like this...

me and my bestfriend(who is a girl too) got the metro from gare du nord at about 3pm and the train was super packed out!! so we were waiting on the platform and some french tramp asked me in french " if i had a lighter" i said " no sorry i dont" and that was that(well thats what i thought!?) anyway me and my friend got on the next train that came and that was also very packed but we got it anyway! me and my friend were standing up, and the tramp started kissing some women that he was sittin next to! and see seemed to like it!!!! then they started talkin?! and then they both looked up at me and the women said something to the tramp and the next thing i know the tramp jumped on me and started trying to kiss me!!!! my friend moved away down the carriage of the train and i was trying to push him off me! and everyone on the train was watching but did nothing! then a another guy on the train came and pulled the guy off me! and my friend was in tears! so we got off the next stop and i was in shocked the whole of out trip in paris!! and in fear when on the metro! the men are too loose in france they always shout stuff at me in the street "i love you" stupid stuff like that! i'm from London & they make out there intrested in that but there not they just want a ***!

so ladies be carefull when in paris, i go there all the time as its only a train ride away from London, so i have kinda steped my game up when i'm there, dont get me wrong i love paris but i just wish that some of the men would calm it down when they see a girl with blonde hair! and not be so forward.

• Singles

• Beggars/ Phonies

by kcarvalho Written Oct 15, 2008

when i was in paris, everywhere i went i saw beggars.. my oma told me to not pay attention to them but it was soo hard..one lady came up to me and asked me if i spoke english.. i told her i did and she was going on about how her and her family are stuck in paris because someone had stolen their passports and they needed money to leave.. it was crazy.. my oma ended up pulling me but the lady was still following!!!! one time i was walking on champs elysees and there was these ladies crying their hearts out.. one had a cane and the other was sitting in the middle of the walk way with her head down.. it was kinda scary.. i especially get annoyed by the guys at trocadero and beneath the eiffel tower.. they would not leave you alone!!! they would grab you and follow you until they get your attention.. my advice would to be just ignore it.. don't give them any attention at all!!! avoid them and ignore them.. and don't tell them you speak english!!! what i also noticed about the beggars is that they are mostly women.....

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Dive-Bombing Pigeons

by hquittner Written Apr 18, 2008

Beware of Pigeon-feeders

Wherever there is open space and benches a small gray-haired woman dressed in black will appear and begin feeding pigeons. This will happen most often in parks, but here she is below Sacre Couer on Montmartre. (I am sure it is not the same woman following me around). Although it looks quaint, keep your distance so that you do not dampen your clothes or day of touring. St. Mark's square in Venice is not the only place. I have been hit in small hill towns.

• Seniors

• Paris is generally safe

by Doug1937 Written Jan 18, 2008

Sacre Coeur in the evening

We spent 3 1/2 days in Paris and always felt generally safe; we never felt in danger. We had the best trip of our lives, with the only regret being we didn't stay long enough.

Paris is nothing to be scared of. We walked down the street in front of the Moulin Rouge in broad daylight and felt quite at home; we never had the chance to frequent the area at night so I can't speak for that.

If you make it a point to IGNORE beggars and string-bearers, you've a better chance of them thinking you're a local. At any rate they're likely to leave you alone if you ignore them, never even making eye contact.

• Crossing roads anywhere!

by deeboreham Written Nov 26, 2007

Main roads, or side roads, you take your life definately in your own hands if you are not too observant crossing the roads. Even if the green man is lit on crossings it doesn't mean it is safe to cross, pay special attention when crossing any road or you could become part of the tarmac. The drivers take no prisoners!

• Not perfect, but far from dangerous!

by RonaaRoo Updated Jul 3, 2007

I just returned to the US from Studying Abroad in Paris for the month of June. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it, and how incredibly safe the city is, if you take the necessary precautions!
    I know this has been repeated over and over, but try not to look like a tourist! American tourists are very easily recognized, and this can lead to pickpocketing or general harassing. Instead of being a tourist, try to blend in with your surroundings. Don't wander around, staring at everything/everyone interesting. Look like you know where you're going. If you need a map, I HIGHLY suggest the 'Paris Practique' or something similar. It is not a huge fold-out map, but instead looks like a small book. It's wonderful, and also very discreet. I followed these guidelines, and I guess I really did look Parisian because I even had several people stop me on the street to ask me for directions!
    I did not have any instances where I was assaulted/aggrevated/bothered at all. There are many beggers in the metro, but they will not bother you if you let them know that you will not help them. However, I realize that, since I'm male, I have less of a chance of being harassed. For women, an important thing to remember is that the French do not smile as much as Americans, especially in public. Many french men interpret the smiles of girls as a form of flirting, even if the girl is just trying to be polite. If you are approached by someone, DO NOT smile and say "No thank you" (Non merci) if you aren't interested...if you do not want to be bothered, a stern NON will suffice. Smiling leads men to think that, even though you're saying No, you are still interested.
    Still, Paris is one of the safest big cities in the world, so if you take some precautions, you should have very few (if any!) problems.

• Go to Paris!

by NMason Written Jun 18, 2007

I read so many scare stories on this site prior to my trip that I was reticent about going in the end.
    I left behind my camera so it couldn't be stolen and was ready for everyone to be a thief or con artist. Saw one girl at Gare Du Nord handing a begging card to someone, as described in these pages, but no problems in our 4-day stay in the Latin quarter. I guess there must be so many people who have trouble-free visits to Paris and DON'T write in to this site, that it acts as a filter, attracting the minority of unfortunate (or careless) tourists, whilst skewing the actual incidents of crime to proportions that seem scary.
    Safe journey!

• nessa_jack's Profile Photo

Sacre Coeur Crypt - DO NOT GO IN

by nessa_jack Written Apr 18, 2007

Around the right side of the Sacre Coeur is a sign for crypt-dome. This is about the only site in Paris with NO QUEUE. Great, you may think, but you will have to pay 5 euros if you want to go in and there is no information about what's inside. take my advice - DO NOT GO IN!!!!! it is a winding staircase up the tower, which goes ON AND ON AND ON AND ON and if you do not like dark confined spaces i would advise you to avoid it. it takes you up to the top and the view is amazing. but personally i don't think it's worth it.

however if you want to be pushed to the brink of human endurance go for it. you will go into that crypt and leave it a different person.

• Disabilities
    • Seniors

• SAFETY FOR FEMALE TRAVELERS

by 65stang Written Apr 16, 2007

My daughter (15) and I just returned from 9 days in Paris. Prior to our departure, I read virtually every tip I could find regarding safety. I would like to say that we had no problems thanks to the many tips on this site. We carried a very small amount of cash, which we stuffed in our pockets. We did NOT carry purses or backpacks whick can be easily snatched.

In spite of the fact that we looked like American tourists, by not looking like an easy target, we did not become one.

Ladies, there are pouches out there that slip down into your bra that will hold credit cards and motel room keys. Give up the purse. If you can't stuff it in your jeans pocket or down your bra, you don't need it anyway!!

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Paris

• Jan 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My husband and I just spent 2 weeks over Christmas in Paris. We live part time in France, go to Paris often and are seasoned travellers-we don't pull out maps on the street, stay in apartments and speak the language fluently. Just before christmas I was viciously attacked by a black muslim man from Libya. It was in the lobby of my building, I was alone after coming home from dinner (not late) with 2 male friends who waited until I got through 2 security gates and walked across the courtyard. He was waiting in the courtyard and must have followed someone else in before this.

Even after I gave him my purse, he kicked me to the ground and gave me several kicks to my head and face until he kicked me unconscious. I had been screaming but as it was in the lobby and dark, I think it may have been initially difficult to tell where I was. A resident in ANOTHER building jumped out his kitchen window and caught the attacker, was headbutted and had trouble restraining him until assistance came but managed to hold him.

I am alive, healing but with scars-luckily can see out my eye again and my fractured nose will recover. I have since been researching France and Paris to find there are 19 "no go" zones for Police, where they are too dangerous to patrol or even respond to calls. 9 of these are in Paris. There are also 90 'sensitive' residential zones, many near high tourist areas-NO ONE tells tourists this and they are tricky to find on websites. There are more than 751 in France alone.

Here is one site that lists some of the no-go and sensitive urban zones:

gatestoneinstitute.org/3305/...

Paris, with Hollande in charge, is fast becoming a very dangerous city which is out of control. The 2 residents from the nearby building who caught the attacker told me they hesitated as they dont trust the judicial system. The residents of my building told me they did not want to get involved as they do not trust the police or the judicial system and feared for their lives-that the attacker would come back for them. He has, by the way, threatened to do this to both men who assisted. The police told me they can do nothing.

I am appalled that we were not made aware that Montmartre is such a dangerous area now (where I was attacked) and even more appalled at the lack of law enforcement and judiciary there. The attacker was known to police, has done it before and he received 18 mths with 9 mths parole for good behaviour. I was told it is unlikely he will stay more than 3 months in jail. If he committed the same crime in the Netherlands, I was told it would be considered attempted manslaughter as he kicked my head until there was a large amount of blood everywhere and left me unconscious with a potential brain hemorhage.

Please ensure, if you do decide to visit to Paris now, you understand exactly where you are, where you are going without maps, do not take a purse and keep your mobile phone hidden at all times in public-mobile phones are currently the main item targeted as they are quick and easy to sell-he had mine out of my purse before he had my wallet.

And please warn your kids going to Paris-familiarise yourself with both the 'no go' and the sensitive urban zones. And do NOT stay or go, even in daylight, near them, for any reason. Paris is sadly no longer the lovely French city it used to be.