Safety, Paris

Know about this?

• palais de chaillot walking over tour eiffel
    palais de chaillot walking over tour...
    near trocadero
    pl de la Republique
  • Sharna.'s Profile Photo

Be careful

by Sharna. Written Mar 4, 2005

If someone grabs you dont wait for some knight in shining armour to save you 'cause he ain't comin!

Scream, punch, scratch, kick 'em where you know it hurts, burn them with your lighter, slash them with your keys, deoderant spray in the eyes is a good one, do what you can to survive! Don't be a victim!

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Hey, it's a big city!

by bdwoot Updated Feb 26, 2005

Practice all those big city skills you possess. Don't make eye contact on the subway. At least try to blend in. Avoid sneakers and jeans. Please, no fanny packs or Hawaiian shirts. No college t-shirts. Learn a few words of French. Avoid being by yourself at night.

Honestly, I feel safer in Paris than in most US cities.

• Know where you are going

by RandomJunkie Written Dec 12, 2004

I think it's a good idea to check out some maps of Paris before going to the city. The best way to avoid pick pocketers or criminals (if you end up in a more "dangerous" area) is to look confident and give a confident impression. Don't look vulnerable, basicaly.

• TravelerM's Profile Photo

Watch out for the drunks and bums in public

by TravelerM Written Nov 20, 2004

Paris is great, but it is also full of crazy bums and weirdos!! I got harrassed a lot whenever I wore a nice dress. I even got attacked once! It totally freaked me out!!!! So I always dress down--just simple tops and jeans. I know it's a pity not to wear your beautiful clothes in such a city of fashion, but for safety, it's wiser to do so when you are traveling as a solo female. For Asian travelers, watch out when you are visiting the red light district in Northern Paris. I've heard guys get robbed during the day!!!....let alone at night. Stay alert.

• timtrina's Profile Photo

People asking for change....

by timtrina Written Sep 5, 2004

View from Notre Dame - one of my fav photos

We had arrived in Paris early evening (direct from Australia), and being so tired, had an early night. But, being jet-lagged - awoke at 3:00am & were ready to go out! We were staying at Hotel Utrillo (Montmartre), and walked out down to Boulevard De Clichy. Although there were a few bars / cafes open at that time, we were approached by a man asking us if we could give him change for his Swiss Francs, as he had no Euros. He was watching my husband closely, almost trying to find out where he kept his wallet. Luckily at that moment, a bakery opened it's roller door, and as soon as the owner of the shop spotted this man, he ran away from us. I shiver to think what could have happened. Just be on the lookout when walking the streets in the early hours of the morning, and don't stop for anyone.

• hokomoko's Profile Photo

Bateaux Mouches.......

by hokomoko Updated Apr 21, 2004

It is great to cruise in a Bateaux Mouches (boat trip in Paris) but some people can *** over a bridge on your head while you passing downwards below a bridge. If the bridge has no side walls like "Ponte des artes" be carefull.

• Cruise
    • Sailing and Boating

• cosmicbunnygirl's Profile Photo

paris bad side

by cosmicbunnygirl Written Jan 13, 2004

the most important thing to do in paris is to make sure you know what is happening around you at all times. notice who is in front ,beside and behind you, if you watch the french this is what they do. for women the best way to handle the men is to act as if they don't exist, this is what the french ladies do and it works! stay as far away as you can from the gypsies that are all over paris but mostly in tourist spots. they make a living out of stealing from tourists, so dont believe anything they say or do. always look like you belong in the city when walking around because then you will be less likely to have anyrhing happen if you dont look like a tourist. never walk into the underground tunnels to cross main roads alone. always watch out for large groups of teenage boys because they do like to carry knives

• Women's Travel

• Something positive about Paris

by fullerand Written Nov 24, 2003

I'm writing this to let you know that it is not definate that you will be robbed blind, scammed and conned in Paris!

I checked through the Warnings/Dangers list before travelling and it made me paranoid to see all the bad stories. However, in reality you'll get along just fine with a bit of cop on. I was there with my girlfriend for 5 days recently (November), and experienced no incident, nor any feeling of danger.

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Thugs

by ncoutroulis Written Oct 17, 2003

This is sort of a general tip, but it's worth it. There is a park very close to the Centre Pompidou. There is a beutiful catherdral in the park. There are also some bad people lurking about. I was even chased one time. This has happend to me on two separate trips to Paris...During the daytime. Just something to be aware of. (I will update with the exact name of the park)

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

street toughs

by ncoutroulis Written Oct 16, 2003
    Moulin Rouge

You'll want to be carefull, especially at night, when you're in the area around the Moulin Rouge. As you get further off into the little side streets, keep your wits about you. I've encountered some thugs looking for trouble.

• fossettes's Profile Photo

Les Halles at night

by fossettes Updated Mar 25, 2003

Be careful if you go to Forum Les Halles (the huge underground mall) at night. We recently went to a movie there, and as we were leaving were caught in a mob of young thugs having a brawl. There were broken bottles and ripped beer cans being used as weapons (as well as fists!)

Les Halles is the center of gang activity in Paris. Best to stay away at night!

• BenFromParis's Profile Photo

No big danger in Paris. You...

by BenFromParis Written Aug 24, 2002

No big danger in Paris. You can walk in the streets at night.But I may add something, during Friday and saturday nights lot of prople come from the cities around Paris. Be careful In Bastille, Pigalle and Chatelet Les Halles districts. It's safe but don't look like too much like a tourist (with cameras outside, etc..). Be cool and that's ok.

• larondey1631's Profile Photo

Safest I've Ever Felt

by larondey1631 Written Oct 8, 2005

View of Kobe from Rokko island

The city of Kobe has to be the safest place I have ever visited. The people are very willing to help foreigners and most everyone speaks (or attempts to speak) English! I love Kobe.

• Girls Beware!

by Shafali Written Sep 27, 2002

Walking the streets of Paris at night can be scary or annoying. Many guys will just stop their cars, get out and follow, some will just grab and pull you into an alley, etc.

Instant Answers: Paris

• Jan 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My husband and I just spent 2 weeks over Christmas in Paris. We live part time in France, go to Paris often and are seasoned travellers-we don't pull out maps on the street, stay in apartments and speak the language fluently. Just before christmas I was viciously attacked by a black muslim man from Libya. It was in the lobby of my building, I was alone after coming home from dinner (not late) with 2 male friends who waited until I got through 2 security gates and walked across the courtyard. He was waiting in the courtyard and must have followed someone else in before this.

Even after I gave him my purse, he kicked me to the ground and gave me several kicks to my head and face until he kicked me unconscious. I had been screaming but as it was in the lobby and dark, I think it may have been initially difficult to tell where I was. A resident in ANOTHER building jumped out his kitchen window and caught the attacker, was headbutted and had trouble restraining him until assistance came but managed to hold him.

I am alive, healing but with scars-luckily can see out my eye again and my fractured nose will recover. I have since been researching France and Paris to find there are 19 "no go" zones for Police, where they are too dangerous to patrol or even respond to calls. 9 of these are in Paris. There are also 90 'sensitive' residential zones, many near high tourist areas-NO ONE tells tourists this and they are tricky to find on websites. There are more than 751 in France alone.

Here is one site that lists some of the no-go and sensitive urban zones:

gatestoneinstitute.org/3305/...

Paris, with Hollande in charge, is fast becoming a very dangerous city which is out of control. The 2 residents from the nearby building who caught the attacker told me they hesitated as they dont trust the judicial system. The residents of my building told me they did not want to get involved as they do not trust the police or the judicial system and feared for their lives-that the attacker would come back for them. He has, by the way, threatened to do this to both men who assisted. The police told me they can do nothing.

I am appalled that we were not made aware that Montmartre is such a dangerous area now (where I was attacked) and even more appalled at the lack of law enforcement and judiciary there. The attacker was known to police, has done it before and he received 18 mths with 9 mths parole for good behaviour. I was told it is unlikely he will stay more than 3 months in jail. If he committed the same crime in the Netherlands, I was told it would be considered attempted manslaughter as he kicked my head until there was a large amount of blood everywhere and left me unconscious with a potential brain hemorhage.

Please ensure, if you do decide to visit to Paris now, you understand exactly where you are, where you are going without maps, do not take a purse and keep your mobile phone hidden at all times in public-mobile phones are currently the main item targeted as they are quick and easy to sell-he had mine out of my purse before he had my wallet.

And please warn your kids going to Paris-familiarise yourself with both the 'no go' and the sensitive urban zones. And do NOT stay or go, even in daylight, near them, for any reason. Paris is sadly no longer the lovely French city it used to be.