Versailles Off The Beaten Path

  • along D10 looking at orangerie
    along D10 looking at orangerie
    by gwened
  • passing orangerie on my many rounds
    passing orangerie on my many rounds
    by gwened
  • the side entrance to the orangerie on road D10
    the side entrance to the orangerie on...
    by gwened

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Versailles

  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

    Théâtre Montansier

    by Nemorino Updated Mar 10, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Th����tre Montansier
    2 more images

    Across the street from the café/brasserie “Le Bassin de Neptune” is the municipal theater or Théâtre Montansier. This theater from the fourth quarter of the eighteenth century is listed as a French Historical Monument, which is why you can find its location and a photo on monumentum.fr.

    Unfortunately I was not able to attend a performance here, because I already had other plans for the one evening that would have been possible, but I am posting it here anyway for future reference.

    Second photo: Entrance to Théâtre Montansier.

    Third photo: When I stopped by the Théâtre Montansier they were advertising a play by Carlo Goldoni (1707-1793) called “One of the last evenings of the Carnival”, which they described as “a magnificent comedy created in Venice on February 23, 1762 for the festival of the Carnival. An authentic masterpiece, little known, with bitter sweet tonalities…” This would have interested me because a number of Goldoni's plays were made into operas during the 18th century.

    Address: 13 rue des Réservoirs – 78000 Versailles
    Directions: Location and photo on monumentum.fr
    Phone: 01 39 20 16 00
    Website: http://www.theatremontansier.com/

    Related tip:
    Setting up the stage for Goldoni, Verona tip by Nemorino


    Next: Paris to Versailles and back on the RER C line

    Related to:
    • Theater Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Parc Balbi

    by gwened Written Dec 20, 2013
    entrance plaque to parc Balbi

    This is the local families park and we came here often, still full of history one of them away from the castle museum.

    Parc Balbi was created for the countess of Balbi, the mistress of the Count of Provence, who was Louis XVI's brother, it is located at 12 rue du Maréchal Joffre, right from castle turn right, and take ave de Sceaux, turn right at rue Satory, it turns into rue du maréchal joffre ,continue past the potatger du roi, and next is the parc Balbi.

    the history is all here
    Before 1730, the location of the parc Balbi was an afforestation belonging to different owners.
    The Grotto surmounted by the belvedere; In 1785, the comte de Provence (brother of King Louis XVI and Louis XVIII) buys a set of plots in order to achieve a garden of irregular type, kind of small rural retreat, where the county could receive its respondents and his mistress in title, Anne de Caumont La Force, Countess of Balbi. The garden is designed by the architect Jean-François - Thérèse Chalgrin. A survey by the Caille: on this map you can discover the Pavilion of Mr (to the South of the parcel), a piece of water extended by a river, a cluster of stone constituting a cave topped by a belvedere, a few factories, reservoirs as well as a greenhouse.

    1786: The garden takes its final form. It became a garden 'in collection '. Indeed, the Comte de Provence was particularly interested in plants and their constitution. The garden was made up of trees and rare or tropical shrubs as well as other forest trees (maples, ash trees...). In addition, poplar, a tree in vogue at the time, is introduced on the banks of the body of water. The purpose of the County was to 'travel in his garden.
    1791: The count and the Countess must go into exile and therefore abandon the garden.

    1792 - 1810: The Park belongs to many successive owners. It is poorly maintained, factories are deteriorating and the greenhouse, as well as the flag of habitation are destroyed. 1810: The citizen Bouillat comes into possession of a park where the vegetation is densified. He performs a few plantations and slightly modifies the layout of the aisles in order to retain the character for the approval of the garden but it has little. 1828: Bouillat children sell the Garden State.

    1842: The Grand Séminaire de Versailles buys the Park. Repair works are carried out (wall, dissection of the body of water, maintenance of the belvedere Pavilion, disappearance of the river...). 1907: École Jules Ferry has the rental of the Park. A door between the Park and the Potager du roi is created.
    1914: The Park is assigned to the Superior National School of horticulture which was created in 1873 by Pierre Joigneaux. 1914 - 1918: World War I. The Park is not maintained. 1939 - 1945: World War II. The Park was again abandoned. Trees are cut down because of the shortage of wood during the war and the Park is partially transformed into orchard.

    Fall 2004: Rehabilitation of the cave and its surroundings is started (by two students of the École nationale supérieure of the landscape, for the reopening of this cave to the public. Fall 2005: Opening of the cave to the public in tours.

    It still there fresh,green ,secluded, real country in the Royal town of Versailles.

    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Jeu du Paume or Royal Tennis Court

    by gwened Written Dec 20, 2013
    entrance jeu du paume
    2 more images

    a tennis, game of the Kings, revolutionary history, of France right in royal Versailles at Rue du Jeu de Paume, take castle go out turn right follow the main street rue Sceaux for about 125 meters turn right on rue Satory (many restos in the corner), go to rue du vieux versailles and turn right again next street is Rue du jeu de paume turn right again , building is on your right hand side.

    what is this tennis court:::
    This room, that is called at the time "tripot", was built by Nicolas Creté in 1686. King Louis XIV, as well as other characters in the Court, have played at the jeu de paume, very popular game at the time and ancestor of the current tennis.
    This room has remained famous in the history of France for the oath which was delivered on June 20, 1789 by the deputies of the third estate and who will take the name of the Jeu de paume oath. King Louis XVI, wants to prevent all attendance by the third State and its allies of the clergy and the nobility to meet again, because the States General are doing a legal revolution. The decision of June 17, to dissolve orders and create a National Assembly, the King needs to regain the advantage and summons the three States for a Royal meeting, 23 June. On the pretext of work of decoration, the hotel des Menus Plaisirs is thus closed by the King, against the advice of his Minister Jacques Necker. the temporary Chairman of the all-new National Assembly, Jean Sylvain Bailly, presented himself on the morning of June 20, before the room while a detachment of gardes prohibits access. In street noise the crowd stirs, and the group seek another place to continue their work. On proposal of the Member of Parliament Joseph Ignace Guillotin, they invest the room of the Jeu de Paume, in the St. Louis area. It is a building privately-owned while length (29 m x 10 m). The walls are painted black to help the players to see the ball better and blue ceiling is studded with fleurs de lys.
    This scene was immortalized by the great esoteric picture of the painter Jacques-Louis David. The room became national property in 1793. It was a time issue to replace the Jeu de Paume room by a Memorial during the Revolution.
    After the Empire and the restoration, which have transformed the victims of the revolution heroes and martyrs, the July monarchy is a moment of reconciliation of the nation with the revolution of 1789, and June 20 is again an important date. The plate on the room is restored and the painter Horace Vernet (1789-1863) received permission to set up his workshop. The proclamation of the second Republic, February 25, 1848, was a glorious resurrection for the room. A civic banquet took place within its walls on March 14, 1848.

    The room of the Jeu de paume was abandoned under the second empire, before be turned by Republicans into a Museum of the French Revolution in 1883, with the celebrations of the centenary of the Revolution. In 1879, Edmond Guillaume architect of Versailles and the Trianon, undertook the restoration of the Hall to make it a place of memory. He erected a Doric entrance supported by two columns in which he placed the statue of Jean Sylvain Bailly (1736-1793), Chairman of the third State and the first to take oath on 20 June 1789. Around the room, on a frieze are painted the names of the signers of the oath. June 20, 1883, the Museum was inaugurated by president Waldeck-Rousseau and the Minister of education and fine arts, Jules Ferry. Note that this is the first place in France subject to a protection order, and it will remain the only until 1886. Indeed, until this date the protection of monuments is only made by official lists, established by the Ministry of Education and fine-Arts.

    Completely renovated in 1988, on the occasion of the celebrations of the bicentenary of the revolution in 1989, the Jeu de paume room receives president François Mitterrand to commemorate the legacy of Bailly and the spirit of 1789. The building is currently the property of the National Assembly of France.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Théatre Montansier

    by gwened Written Dec 20, 2013
    front entrance th��atre Montansier
    1 more image

    This is the whims of a queen made reality and still here in royal Versailles at 13 Rue des Réservoirs. near château museum
    the ticket office opens from September 3, 2013 on Tuesdays, Fridays,and Saturdays from 17h to 19h,Wednesdays from 16h to 18h, see site for other dates.
    you can come from Paris,gare Montparnasse, to stop/arrêt Versailles Chantiers ,then local bus Phébus line B, Stop/arrêt Réservoirs. on RER line C5 to Versailles Rive Gauche, then 10 minutes on foot or on RER C7 direction Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines Stop/arrêt Versailles Chantiers ,then local bus Phébus line B, stop/arrêt Réservoirs

    you have an online advance tickets at this site
    https://www.themisweb.fr/rodwebshop/fListeManifs.aspx?idstructure=0436

    The Théatre Montansier it's a theatre of the 18C located in the heart of the quartier Notre-Dame and a few steps from the castle of Versailles and the Royal Opera.
    The room was inaugurated on 18 November 1777 in the presence of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. This theatre was born at the instigation of Mademoiselle Montansier whose name it bears today. Real name Marguerite Brunet, it is certainly one of the first women entrepreneur in the history.
    Its a beautiful history and wonderfully redone Inside, see it

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Theater Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Potager du roi

    by gwened Updated Dec 20, 2013

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    entrance potager du roi
    4 more images

    the vegetable fruit garden of the king, now you can buy on wednesdays ::)
    it is at 10 Rue du Maréchal Joffre
    if you now like gardening ,veggies, fruits, history of it, and the relation to the castle museum of Versailles then you must be here. I was ;;;;!

    The Potager du Roi was created between 1678 and 1683 by Jean-Baptiste La Quintinie, upon demand by king Louis XIV. It now houses the École nationale supérieure de paysage= the national superior school of landscaping.

    It is open from april to october tuesdays to sundays from 10h to 18H
    you have guided tours beginning at 11H 14h30 n 16h the weekends, holidays

    admission is 4,50€ on weekends and holidays is 6,50€(verify webpage for updates)

    The boutique library is open april to october tuesdays to sundays from 10h to 18h, november and december tuesdays and thursdays from 10h to 18h,Saturdays from 10h to 13h
    January to march tuesdays and thursdays from 10h to 13H all about gardening with beautiful books

    you can get here straight from the RER C train from Paris by going out left on train station to right at Rue du Général Leclerc to left at Rue du maréchal Foch; potager on your right hand side. on foot is about 10 minutes.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    walk rue de l'Independance Americaine

    by gwened Written Dec 17, 2013
    front entrance to municipal library
    4 more images

    walking this wonderful avenue along magnificent architecture stunning mansions is great. My old town has many to offer if you dare to walk away from the castle.

    From place d'Armes in front of château facing it take a left around the property passing big building call the Grand Comun (see tip), you will come to the rue de l'independance Americaine.

    this was called the rue des ministéres et des services in the 18C, you will find at n° 5 the old building of the Foreign Ministry and of the Navy where on 1762 it was decided to signed up an alliance between the kingdom of France and the new rebels of the 13 colonies (USA).in what is today the Municipal Library of Versailes born out of the taking from the royal libraries during the French revolution. It was here that the Treaty of Paris in 1783 gave an ending to the war of American Independance and later the Treaty of Versailles ending WWI.

    at No 9 you have the Caserne Vauban,it was first called the hôtel de la Surintendance des Bâtiments du Roi (sort of the king controller of building or property manager), then it housed a small seminary and finally the Caserne Vauban . It is today a student housing project with 77 apartments or dormitories.

    No 1 is the beforemention Grand Commun ,officially named the Grand Quarré des Offices-Commun(again have sep tip on it here)

    No 12 Hôtel du Grand contrôle, built in 1681 by architect Jules Hardouin Mansart, occupied first by Paul de Beauvilliers, Duke of Saint-Aignan, first gentleman of the bedchamber of the King, Minister of State Governor of the Duke of Burgundy and son-in-law of Colbert. Sold in 1720, by his widow to Antoine Chaumont, Lord of Ivry on the seine, which was enriched thanks to John Law's system. His widow, ruined the downfall of the financier, must assign the hotel to Louis XV in 1723. The King bequest to the domain of Versailles, in 1724 for the general control of Finance (Ministry of Finance). During the revolution, the hotel served as headquarters to court trade and residences in different individuals: under Louis - Philippe, the architect of the Château/museum of Versailles, Frédéric Nepveu is housed on the ground floor. From 1857, the hotel is assigned to the grenadiers, the zouaves and the imperial guards. Delivered to the Ministry of war in 1872. It serves in 1873 military library and circle of officers from the place d'armes. Following the reorganization of the armed forces, it was organised and managed by the Domain of Château de Versailles in 2008. In 2010, it is leased to a Canadian company, which will restore it and will make it a charming hotel of 23 rooms;planned.

    no 3 Hôtel de la guerre or its whole name, hôtel de la Guerre - caserne Carnot, It was built by Jean-Baptiste Berthier in 1760 to housed the different services spread all over Paris. It was one of the first buildings done to minimize the risk of fire in France. It houses today the Direction centrale des Service d'infrastructure de la défense de l'armée française ( central directory of infrastructure services of the French army).

    not to missed those mansion that are registered as historical monuments of France too at 8, 8bis, 10, and 10bis rue de l'Independance Americaine.

    See the architecture and the history on these wonderful properties and get a different perspective of Versailles, a lot more than a castle!

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Sainte Jeanne d'Arc

    by gwened Written Dec 8, 2013
    church Jeanne d'Arc
    1 more image

    a wonderful Church of the other jewels of Versailles that people missed coming here for the castle.

    17 Rue Albert Joly, 78000 Versailles nearest station from Paris is the rive droite coming from gare st lazare.

    The Church dedicated to joanne d'arc or église Jeanne d'Arc is a parish church, but also a votive Church, hence its square without aisles, giving a rather character of a Basilica and also meet the modern needs of clarity. The building is also Memorial; It keeps the memory of all the versaillais who died in the war of 1914-1918.

    Its dome dominates a place in the halfpipe; markets indicate a notion of climbing to a spiritual world; its height respects those of the St. Louis Cathedral and the Notre-Dame church.

    Building constructed in concrete reinforced, covered with decorative ornaments, surmounted by a large octagonal cupola, it ends with a lantern. Its facade is square with triangular Gables in which fit three large canopies, all inspired by the Armenian Chapel of Paris, built in 1906 by the same architect in Chief of the National Palace, Albert Guilbert.

    Inside four large arches of twenty-three metres in diameter give rise to the domes. The apse in the form of "apse" extends the twelve meters square and ten wide. Right and left two side altars will be dedicated to the Sacred Heart and to the Blessed Virgin.

    Another jewel i tell you come out more into my Versailles.

    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Sainte Elizabeth de Hongrie

    by gwened Written Oct 3, 2013
    Church Sainte Elizabeth de Hongrie
    1 more image

    This is the parrish church of the district of Chantiers where the other train station by the same name is going to Paris Montparnasse. the church is on the other side of the gare at 28 Rue Jean Mermoz.

    Sainte Elizabeth of Hungary is today very much assisted by the large Portuguese community here. History tell us that the district of Montreuil at Versailles has his Church: Saint-Symphorien, which is actually located in «Grand Montreuil. The part called "the small Montreuil" had no place of worship in the 18th century, well that this area was the object of the attention of the younger sister of King Louis XVI, madame Élisabeth(guillotine in 1794 and house can be visited see other tip) .

    In the 19th century, the area enjoyed a legacy of the former Chaplain of the Princess, dead on the guillontine as well . It was "St. Elizabeth of Hungary" in tribute to the courtesan Princess. A chapel was built in 1850: simple building of 20 meters by 8 meters. It was in fact the nave of the present building. It added then the two aisles; the chapel became a parish church in 1863. In 1864, the choir was enlarge in embellishing by an arcade decorated with rinceaux, all dominated by the monogram of St. Elizabeth. In 1890, the artist Paul - Hippolyte Flandrin (1856-1921) completed the decoration painting a large canvas describing the Miracle of the roses.The work of restoration of the years 2009-2010 have revived the décor. Now, with his belt of wood panelling, its cavernous coffered blue azur decorated with gilded motifs, with its beautiful choir and its canopy constructed in the aisles, the St. Elizabeth Church has an undeniable artistic stamp.

    Its another place to visit while in Versailles , a lot more than a palace ::)

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Orangerie du Chateau de Versailles

    by gwened Written Jul 15, 2013
    side entrance Orangerie on route de Saint Cyr D10
    4 more images

    One of the wonders of the Chateau sometimes over pass en route of the gardens after seeing the inside of the castle museum is the Orangery of the Château of Versailles. Built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1684 and 1686, it replaces the one built by Le Vau built in 1663 or even before the start of the work of the Castle. The orangerie houses in winter over 1,500 shrubs , majority of oranges (900) but also laurels, grenadiers or Myrtles.
    In best times or season, may to October, orange trees and other trees in pots are exposed in the Parterre Bas area.The sweet orange (Citrus aurantium) was introduced in Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries and was then a luxury food. In France, the craze for exotic varieties go back at the end of the wars of Italy . The first Orangery was built by Charles VIII in the Château of Amboise. Henri IV had built an Orangery at the Louvre. Retaining water and nutrients, and using techniques of pruning, the French gardeners have been able to flourish the citrus trees throughout the year, to the delight of Louis XIV. The Orangery is located under "Parterre du Midi".

    It consists of a central gallery of 155 meters long , whose facade is oriented to the South. The central gallery is framed by two side galleries located under the "escaliers des Cent Marches". As a whole, lit by large arched Windows, surrounds the floor bottom of the orangerie.This orientation, a wall thickness of more than 5 meters , and the precautions taken in winter - for example, under the former regime, gardeners were by and large cat flaps to avoid opening the large doors which the joints were caulked with straw, the orangerie has never experienced a freeze.The bottom floor is enclosed on its fourth side, South, a balustrade overlooking the road of to Saint Cyr l'école. It separates it from the Piéce des eux des Suisses or lake. At its centre lies a vast basin circular, surrounded by six pieces of turf.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    How about those ecuries!stables/squires

    by gwened Written Apr 1, 2013
    les man��ges remaining door Porte
    4 more images

    yes the ecuries or stables are many in Versailles been the royal seat of France for many many years, there are all over, most now use for other purposes under the Republic.

    You all know about the Grande ecurie and Petite ecurie in front of the castle. These were done in 1682 by the great architect of the king JH Mansart. Even thus the name says Grande ecurie is actually the smaller of the two! as it house the horses of mounted guards,the name comes from the title of the master of the place Grand Ecuyer or great squire who was in charge of these horses;today is the equestrian academy of Bartabas that is there with wonderful spectacles(see sep tip).

    In the Petite ecurie were house the carriages, and wagons of the king, and for that it was bigger. Now it is closed to the public as you have the conservatory of arts there where they put together all the repairs of things in the castle and elsewhere by master craftmen.(see sep tip).

    You then see the less known to the public, that this long time resident will tell you now.

    the ecuries de la reine or queen's stables were at 5 rue Carnot built in 1672 by plans of architect of the castle Louis le Vau. It was first given to the Queen and later to the dauphin or eldest pretender to the throne. At the end of this building there was a small street or impasse des ecuries that took you to the rue de la Paroisse. It was turned into a prison during the French revolution and here a massacre of 13 prisioners took place on september 9 1792. In th next 150 years the stables became headquarters for different regiments of the army finally was given to the ministry of justice that use it today as the cour d'appel or Appellate court.

    Near it you have the écuries de Monsieur at 10 rue Carnot, it has a plaque today. here were the horses of the Monsieur or brother of the king Louis XIV. Nothing is there now as the dukes of Orléans renovated them all and much later the Philip Egalité (cousin of Louis XVI)sold all that was left in 1792. He was guillotine in 1794.

    We move on to the écuries du comte de provence or stables of the count of provence (brother of Louis XVI), and (later king Louis XVIII) had his at 19 avenue de Paris where he kepts the horses of the countes of Provence. He had carriages here too; it is richly architectual jewel; at the end of the 19C it entered the prestigious corp of the imperial guard, or red lancers as their uniform was all red, they were finally eliminate after the defeat at Waterloo. Today is the Hotel de Police, the commissary of Versailles.

    Then you have the écuries du comte d'Artois, built from 1773 at 9ter Edouard Lefébvre, (brother of Louis XVI) he had shops, chapel, squires quarters,and 27 carrriage spaces, and 300 horses! today there are military casernes for CIDAN civic defense and ONAc of veterans of wars. the count of Artois later king Charles X (1824_1830) died in Slovenia in 1836 after many years in exile and he is buried there.

    You find the abbreuvoir or watering place for horses in town at the beginning of rue Edouard Lefébvre ending with avenue Sceaux and square francine. There was another one by the Notre Dame district at 19 rue des Réservoirs built in 1735. They were replace for hygene to one at the corners of boulevard de la reine, rue de mouchy, and rue d'Angiviller, and lasted until 1890, where they were finally eliminated. We have postcards of it at the museum Lambinet.

    For the ladies not to be outdone we had ecuries or stables too. The Countess de Provence and Artois had theirs at 55 rue d'Anjou. later use by a regiment of cavalry and later under the restauration period by the horses of duchess of Angoulême (daughter of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette). It is today a police or gendarmerie headquarters. The Countess of Artois, sister and sister in law of the Provence, had the old hôtel du duc de La Virillière building at 29 rue du maréchal Joffre,they had 3 carriages, 8 berlines,3 caleches, two dit allemandes or germans, a six seater, one cabriolet, two trainers, 7 two seaters, 3 chariots,and a little garden caleche. A cavalry regiment was set up here too, later the military caserne Denfert, and finally after 1981 the high school, lycée Jules Ferry.

    The écuries des gardes du corps or the stables of the body guards, under Louis XIV they were at ave Sceaux and the future rue Royale. at the same place in 1730 , Duke of Noailles governor of VErsailles made the Cercle militaire de Croy, which you entered by 30 rue de Sceaux, with a portal given to rue Royale,(corner with rue du Gen Leclerc) built after 1778. Today, its occupant is the FRench army. These body guards were eliminated in 1791.

    A prestigious light cavalry existed in Versailles, this was the guard of the King. The horses were kept in a hotel at ave de Sceaux from 1741. At the place that today bears their name in French, les Cheveau-Légers. Been small they were enlarged towards rue du général Leclerc and Satory. At No 17 rue des cheveau-légers you have the inscription today "sensere gigantes" or kill the gents. The block on which it is, suggest that they were in the hand of Jupiter, the King, for eliminate the enemy.

    The Hôtel des Gens d'Armes or the hotel of armed people....(my best) was at 6 avenue de Paris.another house the horses, built for the kings body guards in 1735,and serve the French army until 1908. You have a small caserne or military post behind the petite écuries built in 1851. Another at the entry to the now hotel Pullman 2bis avenue de Paris; others at the shopping gallery now at avenue du général de Gaulle and has the inscription 'les manéges' right in front of train station rive gauche. It is by here that we used to go to the La Maréchalerie, old annex of the petite écuries du roi, where the personnel used to go in,and supplies were carry in. Today there is a center for contemporary arts, the architecture school of Versailles.

    In Versailles all the auberges or lodging places had spaces for horses. The transport between Versailles and Paris or the province wre organised around horse wagon carriages, where the terminus was at todays's Rue Saint Simon between 1683 and 1734. It was displaced to avenue de Sceaux and later avenue de Paris.

    Finally, you have the race horse tracks . At the time where Auteuil, Longchamp,and Vincennes were not in existance there was a racetrack at Satory under King Louis-Philippe in 1836. The events wre grouped with one company and the racecourse of Porchefontaine was opened in 1864. It occupied the today's streets of rue Jean de La Fontaine and rue Albert sarraut. It was considered one of the prettiest in France! but it stopped with the war of 1870.
    Voilà ma Versailles, la ville royale et magnifique que tous viendrons à l'adoré comme moi.
    Cheers

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    The curiosities of Versailles

    by gwened Written Mar 31, 2013
    from avenue Colbert
    4 more images

    living here for almost 10 years, photos are far and between in comparison and just VT had made me realise it; so catch up time for here and elsewhere as photos are nice. I like to tell you a narrative as some of the nice things we have in my town, yes,and maybe increase your curiosity away from castle and take more photos ::)

    The city had an architecture of different proportion as the calciium stone and bricks were none existant , therefore, the construction was done with a mixture of plaster, and chalk in ocre red to imitate the brick and mix in with ocre yellow to imitate the stone. The faux windows are also a unique architectural item here. you can see them at 22 rue de Satory still authentic.

    The balcons in metal,and window door guards are seen all over, the best examples are at 13 and 15 rue Saint Honoré, 5 rue de Satory, 36 rue du vieux Versailles or at the 52 rue de la Paroisse. There can be courve or bend like at 22 rue de Satory, or 30 rue des Etats Generaux,and 9 rue Royale, or 18 rue Hoche. You have mentions on the grills around the doors or windows such as mentions of "terraser les géants" such as 108 rue de la Paroisse from 1783, or the number of the convention of the member Laurent Lecointre at 63bis ave Saint Cloud.

    These metal protectors of doors or windows or in French garde-corps in a more economical construction that is less intricate metal decorations are seen at No 17,34,36,38 rue Carnot, 32 and 110 rue de la Paroisse, and no 71 blvd de la Reine. Art Nouveau style or Nouille are found at 3 rue Neuve Notre Dame near the church.

    The sculpture in stone rocaille are found at 10 rue de Fontenay circa 1730-40, and ornate silhoutte above the door such as at 14 rue du vieux Versailles. Orders from Jupiter at 6 avenue de Paris from 1737 at the hôtel de la gendarmerie de la garde. How about the canons of Napoleon at 2bis avenue de Paris at the Hôtel Pullmann next to tourist office!

    About more initials of the presume musicisian of the king Louis XV or EF at 11 rue de la Paroisse. Thought to be that of Edouard Frémy. Shellfish are found at 13 rue Richaud of a lobster no less dating from the 20C. You have grilles with enamel and faiences such as 3 rue de l'assamblée Nationale the building is off ave de Paris and has incription "Les Houblons". You have faience at 1 impasse Adéle off 36 rue des Chantiers. At 3 rue richaud, you see the "Goutte de Lait" or taste of milk when it was rationed and hard to find in Versailles back in 1899 to fight malnutrition.

    The magnificent door decorations of Grand Commun (b. 1684 still in renovation to open public soon) at 1 rue de l'independance Americaine. At No 5 rue Royale you see the deco at the military caserne of Caserne de Croy done in 1734! the one at the hôtel de la guerre or war ministry in 3 rue de l'independance Americaine done in 1759! the one at the convent of the Recollets done in 1684, two angels that adore Christ on the cross, destroyed in the French revolution. And at 19 avenue de Paris,the hotel de madame de Barry with two centurians horses, and the portrait on door of king Louis XIV at angle of rue du peintre lebrun and rue colbert (near chateau) .

    The beautiful old houses with unique pente roofs at the Carré Saint Louis around streets, Marché neuf, l'Occident, Saint-Famille and l'Orient. Rare empire architecture at 6 rue d'Anjou built in 1811; pilastres of doric designs very nice. At 1 rue Neuve-notre Dame, le inscription of ' le guet du roy' built in 1736, the garde corps built after the renovation that eliminated the lake or etang de clagny and now has the streets boulevard de la Reine.

    At the level of 111 avenue de Paris, you have a wonderful mansion that has a private road inside the parc Chauchard; the building(b. 1780) is known as " the pavillon de musique de la Comtesse de Provence' the sister in law of the king Louis XVI. The park was cut in half at the French revolution but the countess survive the guillotine. Now one part if of the famous school of Saint GEneviéve and the other half of belong to jewerler Mellerin then Prince de Mérode and finally by Alfred Chauchard (the founder of the Grands Magasins du Louvre).

    The moulins or windmills of Versailles were at 18 rue des Chantiers, then the train station was done in 1849,and now it is still in use next to the train station by the family Chaudé from 1920. At 88 avenue des Etats Unis, done by Dutch architects from a diamont house built in 1920 and now since 1956 the school Lycée pro Jacques Prévert.

    There are many niches of figurines and saints in Versailles, such as 2 rue Ducis by the market and 18:19 rue Saint Honoré as well as 30 rue de l'Ermitage as well as on the facade of church St Symphorien, pl st Symphorien by rue Montreuil. The narrowest street in Versailles is at 9 rue Saint Honoré 2,92 meters wide.(about 9,6 feet) built early on the 18C. Historical facade of figures of dogs, garde-corps, masks, etc is at 25 rue Saint Honoré. At 10 rue Royale you have a plaster figurine with the inscription 'Au cherche midy" maybe the mark of a jewerler.... At 19 rue Ducis another one saying "a la gaité' now at the museuim Lambinet. And the popular by the market notre dame, at 8 rue André Chénier, 'au chien qui fume' with colorful dogs all smoking pipes etc....

    The black leyend of king Louis XV meeting his comcubines at 80 rue d'anjou, where it was the hunting grounds of Louis XIII,and Louis XIV, he buys a house at rue Saint Médéric, with an old door at corner of rue de l'occident and rue du marché neuf. Never really open by anyone that after the king sold the house in 1771.

    So much more, working on it;, stay tune, Versailles is a lot more than a castle ::)

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Maison des musiciens italiens

    by gwened Written Mar 24, 2013
    maison des musiciens italiens front
    4 more images

    this is a nice house still undergoing renovation and garden work but open. It was the house where the musiciens king Louis XVI brought from Italy to entertain his court.

    The Maison des musiciens italiens is a house in the style rocaille,built in 1752 at 15 rue Champ-Lagarde by Jacques Hardouin-Mansart (1711-1778), for the countess of Argenson. It house five italien singers that came to Versailles to entertain the king and play at the royal Chapel in the castle, thereby the name. House of the italiens musiciens.

    The house passes with several owners, until finally acquired by the city of Versailles in December 1978. After a couple of more changes the house becomes in may 1986 the home of the Union Compagnonnique des Compagnons du Tour de France . Their webpage is here
    http://www.lecompagnonnage.com/

    a group that helps by working to bring about the best in men and preserve the buildings and architecture of our times.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Maison Madame Elizabeth

    by gwened Written Mar 24, 2013
    from garden front of maison madame Elizabeth
    4 more images

    ok so who is madame Elizabeth, well none other than the sister of king Louis XVI. She was a society women of great spirit who had done several parties in her house, unforntunately she defended her brother not allowing anyone to call him a despot as for her he was a good man, and for that she was guillotine as well at the age of 30.

    The house was a gift of her bro in 1783,the property the Domaine de Montreuil. 73 avenue de Paris.

    the house is seen by appointment of the city of Versailles, the park is free to go in from March 21 to November 15 everyday from 11h to 18h30. It is up the castle at 73 avenue de Paris, on your left hand side, easy walk in Versailles.

    a bit more of her, complete name Élisabeth Philippine Marie Hélène de France, known as Madame Élisabeth,born May 3 1764 in Versailles,and died by guillotine May 10 1794 in Paris. She was the sister of kings Louis XVI, Louix XVIII, and Charles X.

    She was a tough woman who believe not to yield at all to the commoners and the assembly refusing to immigrat'e to the papal states as many did in 1791. When the prosecutor reading her case told her she was the sister of a tyrant, she responded « IF my brother was that which you said, you will not be there standing now nor would I here !>

    Her body in pieces was put in common wells in the cimentary of Errancis. After the revolution, the remains could not be identified even if the witness of the well digger that had localised the well. The remains of the well were place in the Catacombes of Paris as were many others. A medallion rang her place at the basilica de Saint Denis.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Hotel des menus plaisirs

    by gwened Updated Mar 24, 2013
    entrance hotel des menus plaisirs
    4 more images

    located at 22 Avenue de Paris just steps from the castle and near the rive gauche train station. THe building was done between 1741-1748, it house stores of accessories of toys and shows for the court in the castle.

    In its courtyard an architecture design was done to house the nobles and commoners of the Estates Generals in 1789 precursor of the French National assembly and constitution. It was here that the deputies created the assamblée Nationale of France voting to abolish the privilidges of the nobles and the Declaration of the rights of man and citizens. Today the building houses the Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles or the baroque music center of Versailles.

    Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles organises each year a season of musical plays in the most prestigious places of Versailles such as the Royal Chapel, Royal Opera, academie du Spectacle Equestre (grande ecurie) etc.

    Related to:
    • Music
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Petite ecurie

    by gwened Written Mar 24, 2013
    front sculpture door of the petite ecurie
    2 more images

    well this is the other building across from the castle on the right, less known then the grande ecurie where bartabas does his horse show.

    the petite ecuries is pure art, here is where they fix,renovate and just take care of everything in the castle and elsewhere. Ecole National d'Architecture de Versailles, or the national architecture school of Versailles. House here since 1969.

    http://www.versailles.archi.fr/index.php?page=ecole

    therefore the interiors are not open to the public, only with special permission or helping out when I lived in the city you go in.

    a bit of history
    The Petite Ecurie was directed b the first ecuyer or squire. It service to house the horses of the carriages and work labor as well as the carriages of the king and dauphin or son. Even thus it is call the petite or little one its actually the same size as its neighbor the Grande Ecurie. It has wonderful architecture such as Alexander the great in Bucephale by Girardon handling a carriage of 3 horses . THe first squire was housed hiere as well as the helping hands, workmen on carriages and other folks involved in the upkeep of them.

    It has a plaque (see photo) of the first graduates of the school of air force of France in 1937;

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Versailles

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

92 travelers online now

Comments

Versailles Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Versailles off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Versailles sightseeing.

View all Versailles hotels