Versailles Sports & Outdoors

and we have a star !!!
    bowling and billiards at Bowlingstar
    by gwened
  • the gang star players are here at Bowlingstar
    the gang star players are here at...

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Versailles

• gwened's Profile Photo

Go bowling with the boys

by gwened Written Jul 20, 2012
    bowling and billiards at Bowlingstar

a nice sport you can do with ffriends or family or alone even, just bring yourself and they provide all,very nice way to spend the day or the night. You can even watch the sports events and have a cold one.
    This one is one with my boys in near Versailles ,outside to the south in SQY, easy trip by car and even train direct line from Chantiers. The town on the bowling side is 78180 Montigny le Bretonneux but the bowling is across the street from RER station in Saint Quentin des Yvelines.
    go webpage and hit les villes, then Saint Quentin

Equipment: just show up

• Trains

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Hiking - 'Game Plan' structure.

by Jerelis Written Nov 9, 2008
    Entrance of Bosquet de L'Encelade.

Most people try to rush Versailles on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to seeing Versailles properly is a game plan, you must know what you want to see before setting out. Just consider some of these statistics: The number of trees in the garden is a whopping 200,000, and some 210,000 flowers are planted each year. There are 35 km of pipes and some 200 gardeners work year round to keep the garden at its radiant best. So you can imagine the immensity of this project and the need for a good definition of what you want to see.

By this 'game plan' structure I walked from the Bassin du Dragon towards Bosquet des Bains d’Apollon and after that to Bosquet de la Girandole. I continued my way to Bassin du Miroir, Jardin du Roi and Bosquet de la Colonnade. Finally I went on my way to Bosquet des Domes, Bosquet de l’Ancelade, Bassin d’Apollon and Bosquet de L’Obelisque. For every patio, statue or water basin I had my 'wanted to see' highlights and had lots of fun in planning the hike in advance. The garden of Versailles is simply a perfect place to walk for hours and pretending to know where you are.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Hiking - Lose yourself in the garden.

Bosquet des Domes.

And what a walk it must have been in those days, as the gardens stretches 3 kilometres from the gallery of the palace bedrooms to the Grand Canal. The gardens were built over an area of 800 ha, mobilising the most refined skills and the heaviest engineering work: the digging of the Grand Canal, the construction of imposing water reservoirs, of an immense network of pipes to supply the fountains! Water is drawn from the river Seine and the garden is dotted with 200 sculptures, making it the biggest open air museum in the world. I saw life size marble statues, beautifully sculpted, of the many Greek gods. But all was done by foot, in fact some of the most picturesque corners in the labyrinthine streets of the garden can only be reached on foot.

Take time to meander - losing yourself in the maze of alleys, patios, canals, statues, and lanes is one of Versailles's principal pleasures. The cluster of sights towards and around the Grand Canal are heart-clutchingly beautiful, but the more secret pleasures of the hushed backstreet patios are just entrancing. Maybe this is easy for me to say as I stayed for over eleven hours and not like most of the tourists only for two or three hours. But even when your stay is rather short, do try to get away from the crowds and just have a 'look around'. At first all this may seem very though as finding your way in Versailles might be difficult, but in really distances are short and the signs to the main areas (Grand Canal, Grand Trianon and Palace) will help you in getting around in Versailles.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Hiking - Best way to explore the garden!

by Jerelis Written Nov 9, 2008
    Me at the Bosquet de la Colonnade.

I can honestly state that the best way to explore the gardens of Versailles is by foot and the second best way is also by foot! Besides giving you the opportunity to roam the narrow streets, patios, meadows and bridges , it is probably the quickest way too. If you really want to, you can cross the entire garden towards the Marie-Antoinette Estate in approximately 45 minutes. Remember that sometimes it might be quicker to take a short-cut across a patio, square, bends of bridges and alleys instead of following the usually paved ways.

Before I visited Versailles I already had a look at the internet. As I am from The Netherlands I am used to doing a lot by foot and I was pleasantly surprised that Versailles is a place in which everybody walks and you're truly able to explore all the sights by foot. My two feet were my best friends and therefore I was able to enjoy all the fascinating scenery Versailles had to offer. While most tour guides don't recommend getting lost in the majority of gardens, Versailles is the place to get hopelessly lost for a day. I wondered off through mysterious alleyways leading me away from the crowds. I ended up in endless mazes of backstreets, patios and deserted squares, the 'real' Versailles!

When I arrived … at first glance I was awe-struck at the magnificence and majesty of this garden. I just wondered off and I could well imagine the days of yore when the king and queen along with their entourage, walked the garden in their resplendent gowns.

Instant Answers: Versailles

Comments

Versailles Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Versailles sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Versailles sightseeing.