Saint-Louis Cathedral, Versailles
This was the Cathedral that was not, and the king wanted. Name after Saint Louis ,king Louis IX.
IT was blessed on August 1754, chosen by the new powers after the French revolution and finally chosen as Cathedral in 1843.
The Royal parish remaining Notre-Dame. However when opened in the estates-General of 1789, it was in St. Louis that the solemn procession (departing from Notre-Dame) went and is Chair of the Church that the Bishop of Nancy denounced the abuses of the Court. Several meetings of State were held also in St. Louis in June. 22, the Jeu de paume oath there was renewed.
On 3 January 1805, Pope Pius VII, came to Paris for the coronation of the Emperor Napoleon I, was welcomed at the St. Louis Cathedral by the first Concordat Bishop, Monsignor Charrier.
Louis XVIII and Charles X did not have the opportunity to visit the Cathedral. However Louis-Philippe attended a Te Deum sung in 1837 following the capture of Constantine.
Another church jewel of France,and very near the Potager du roi, on an old part of Versailles, district of Saint Louis, facing the castle to your left.
Great to walk around here. just across is the potager du roi
the official site of the Cathedral
Interesting to see a burial Memorial and bust inside the church, of JULES HARDOUIN MANSART, b.1646 - 1708, a French architect whose work is generally considered to be the apex of French Baroque architecture, representing the power and grandeur of Louis XIV. Mansart, as he is generally known, was one of the most important European architects of the seventeenth century.
Among his best-known works— all in Paris— are the Pont-Royal; the Church of Saint-Roch; the great domed royal chapel Eglise du Dome dedicated to Saint Louis at Les Invalides (designed in 1680); the Place des Victoires (1684–86) followed by the Place Vendôme (1690). Most of these works still set their stamp on the character of Paris.
In 1714, Louis XIV promised to take charge of the expense of a new parish.
This promise was not fulfilled until the reign of Louis XV. -- the full history of this beautiful church can be found in the website noted below, which ends thus:
In the year 2000, following the instructions of the Vatican II Council and in order to put and end to a temporary situation, a scheme was done about a new arrangement of the choir and the transept. The "Monuments de France" architect, Bruno Chauffent-Yvart, designed the stone oval altar steps from a Robert de Cotte's sketching. The sculptor Philippe Kaeppelin designed and made the high altar, the ambo, the reading desk, the bishop's seat and the seats of the celebrants. The whole was inaugurated on April 7th 2002 by Mgr Eric Aumonier, bishop of Versailles.
and has much other interesting info of the between centuries.