Carcassonne Restaurants

La Maison de la Blanquette, Carcassonne
    by SWFC_Fan
    Salad with warm goat cheese and honey
    by SWFC_Fan
  • "Cassoulet Maison" at La Maison de la...

Most Recent Restaurants in Carcassonne

Auberge de Madam Carcas: Cassoulet is Inexpensive

by hquittner Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outside seating during the day

With a name like this and a central location, you might expect the dinners to be expensive but they are quite reasonable. Of course the favorite dish does not use expensive meats but the three course dinner has other choices and the terrine appetizer is quite tasty too.

Favorite Dish: It is all good. It is still here 15 years later.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Le Clos Saint Hilaire: Near Carcassonne and worth a trip

by Beausoleil Written Jul 8, 2010

Le Clos St. Hilaire near Carcassonne

If you drive south of Carcassonne on the D104, you pass several stunning views of Carcassonne on a distant hill. Stop and take pictures . . . and continue on to St. Hilaire to visit the Abbaye and to eat at Le Clos Saint Hilaire, a Logis de France with excellent food.

Our young waiter didn't speak a word of English but an older woman told him to speak slowly and we would all be fine. He did and we were. It was chilly so we ate in the dining room on white linen tablecloths, elegant service from our young waiter and the chef even came out and talked to us . . . excellent food. Great experience!

Favorite Dish: Ed had salmon bruschetta and a small salad. I had the farm salad with bacon, eggs, croutons, greens, tomatoes, Roquefort cheese and great dressing. We both had a café brûlée with a chocolate cake.

Wine was included; Ed had rosé and I had red, both excellent.

Coffee was not included but we had time so I ordered it extra. When the bill came (l’addition), they didn’t charge for the coffee even though we pointed it out.

We have since decided we are going to spend a few days in Le Clos Hilaire on our next trip. The location for visiting Carcassonne and the area is perfect, the hotel charming and the restaurant one of our finds!

• Photography

• La Marquière: World's Best Foie Gras

by karlhorne Written May 8, 2010

Inside the walls of the midieval Cité, this is clearly several notches above the collection of restaurants found in the Place Marcou, which are fine, but you will quickly appreciate the difference. This is the higher end place found in a quiet part of the walled city. Service and atmosphere are excellent, but the food is the real star. And of that, I can't recommend the Foie Gras enough. Absolutely superb - the best I've had. Being Languedoc, duck in it's many forms feature prominently, but there are other Southern French favorites to satisfy, usually like pigeon, rabbit, and beef. All this, complemented with a good wine list showcasing Very highly recommended - one of my few 5 star recommendations.

L'Ostal des Troubadours: Not a Tourist Trap

by hquittner Written Sep 26, 2009

The Sign and Entry

L'Ostal is a convivial place that looks like a tourist trap, but is not. It is inexpensive and although we only had lunch of fine crepes and cider, we would have returned for dinner (when there is music) except that we were urged to eat our cassoulet elsewhere. It does indeed have a view of the Chateau.

Le Vieux Four: Our Introduction to the Cassoulet

by hquittner Written Sep 26, 2009

The Restaurant

We were directed to this place by people at the hotel. "The Old Oven" is a name that bespeaks the local dish of cassoulet. At home we have always enjoyed slow-cooked pork and white beans, but this takes the dish to another level. It is the staple of the Languedoc and the Carcassonne variety uses pork rind and mutton (sometimes), goose (which we had) or partidge (when available), plus spices and herbs. Our dish came hot from the special oven in a glazed clay casserole. Further along in our trip we remembered their version as the best. With their pate de campagne lead-up and cheeses afterward and local wine along the way, we were ready to walk it off around the dimly lit and quiet Cite.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

LA ROTONDE: Right in Middle of Town

by ViajesdelMundo Written Jun 25, 2009

Great example of a French Brasserie, with full selections as well as a 'salad bar'; which is not anything like an American one. Some of the salads are seafood and many others.

There are tables lining the glass wall which is on the sidewalk, for a feel of being outside, even though you are protected inside. And you get the feel of the passersby, as they look at your table and meal, but it is pleasant, as you are separated by the glass.

We only had dinner there, but I noticed that they offered a budget priced special breakfast too.

(the photos were taken from a moving car)

Favorite Dish: Don't miss the CASSEOULET in this area, and it was excellent here! Trevor had steamed clams and they were VERY delicious and as much as he could eat.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Le Saint Jean: Supposed to be the Best within the walls

by ViajesdelMundo Written Jun 2, 2009

Quite a nice place; we were pleased that we arived a little before the throng at lunch time, because it totally filled up, both inside and outside tables. (For dinner, one should have reservations.) When I took a little time to choose a table, the waiter became impatient.

It was a holiday weekend, so there were a lot of French families with children of all ages. The cultural difference was glaring to us, that even though this was an expensive, high class restaurant, the adults engrossed themselves with each other and let the children run amok. By the time we were leaving and the place was really full, it reminded us of a McDonald's in the US, as far as the ambience.

Favorite Dish: I had a foie gras combination salad -- see photo; very good and filling.

• Architecture

• La Tete de L'Art: One to Avoid!

by dj-dorset Written Sep 24, 2008

We spent 5 days in Carcassone eating out every lunch and dinner. Some meals were really good, some ok, but this was the worst by a mile.

Starters - a salad for me - the least interesting salad I had in my whole stay in France, but edible. My partner - onion soup, which was just like a cup of bovril - almost no onion.

Then the main course. Magret de Canard - one of my favourites and we both went for it. What a mistake! It was the toughest duck breast I've ever had. The mushrooms were swimming in oil, and the potato was revolting as well. It would have been hard to make this any worse. We had to point out our dissatisfaction to the owner.

He immediately got very angry - saying that "the English know nothing about duck because they buy it from Romania" (?). With no offer to make amends, we decided it was time to leave. I made what I felt was a generous offer of 3/5s of the total bill, but he insisted we pay in full and as I continued to disagree he called the police!

I didn't fancy wasting a whole evening of my holiday so I just paid up. Something seriously wrong with the service and the food here!

Favorite Dish: N/A

• Restaurant Aux Berges du Canal: The true France

by Gavtastic Written Jun 29, 2008

Run by a husband and wife team, this is for me what French cooking is all about. A passion and a reality about what they serve. The decor is a little dated, but the food is not. The menu was individual and did not look like all the other menus in the Cite'. The duck salad was amazing, and the lamb cooked to perfection. The service was friendly and good. The wines very reasonable prices starting at 13 euro a bottle. The best meal I had in 3 days in Carcassonne. Most of the restaurant trade is in the Cite' so places like this have to make an effort and it shows. Open daily except Wednesdays.

Favorite Dish: Duck Salad. The most tender, delicious and tasty duck I have ever eaten.
    Lamb Shank in Rosemary sauce with potatoe puree. Full of flavour and tender to perfection.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Restaurant le RICHEPIN: Excellent French Cooking

by roamer61 Updated Jan 4, 2008

Located on the 4th floor of the Trois Couronnes Hotel, this restaurant has both pre-fixed and Ala Catre items on its menu. Price is generally around 35 euros. Food is prepared quite well and there is a good selection to choose from. Service is good as is the food. As a bonus, a great panoramic view of the Mediaval Cite can be seen while enjoying ones meal.

Favorite Dish: Rack of Lamb and Escargot are amongst the appetizing dishes on the menu. A comprehensive wine list is also provided.

• Cirk's Profile Photo

L'Ostal des Troubaours: Love at first sight!

by Cirk Updated Mar 5, 2007

My son outside his favourite restaurant in France

My two teen aged kids and I fell in love with this restaurant immediately! The building is very old, as all the buildings in la Cite, - probably from the 13th century, but I don't think all waiters take their time to tell the story of their restaurant! A very nice woman (maybe the owner?) was a great story teller, and told us about the house and it's history, before it became a restaurant, and after. Live music every night, food prepared on the open fire, lovely charming interiors and really warm and sweet persons working there. We accidentally stepped inside on our first night in Carcassonne, and although we like to try new places and new food, we just HAD TO go back the other night. You have a heart of stone if you don't like this place!

Favorite Dish: The food was OK, - our first experience with the cassoulet. Not exactly a gourmet meal, but it's cheap, and it's a lot of food. The second night we had a fish soup that was terrific and a lovely pate! But we didn't go there just for the food, but even more for the music and the atmosphere!

• Music

• La Tête de L'art: Regional, but also vegetarian friendly

by brunnenG Written Jan 21, 2007

We spent quality time in Carcassone and alternated between fine dining (Compte Roger, Auberge des Lices) and local food.
    When it comes to local food, we liked this one best - it is original, the food is good, the setting is great, the owner is very friendly. The menu is vegetarian friendly, the prices are reasonable. You get the feeling that you are in a touristy (need for a very original setting) but at the same time local (and highly individual) place, with the french quality of having time and caring for food.

• leics's Profile Photo

Can't remember.................: They serve onion soup...................

by leics Written Apr 12, 2006

Cafe on right of photo.

.......................but you can't really miss it, as it's the cafe next to the only set of traffic lights in La Cite! Small, crowded, serving a variety of snacks and meals as well as being a bar. Very pleasant place to sit and warm up, with good-sized servings.

• leics's Profile Photo

La Rotonde: Locals eat here.................

by leics Written Apr 12, 2006

La Rotonde

This is a brasserie and a restaurant. I ate in both, and was pleased with both the ambience/ service (no hassle, no snootiness) and the food (very edible). The brasserie does a plat for 10 euros, which includes starter/ plat du jour/dessert and there are 3 'formule' menus in the restaurant. I had the cheaper one, spending less than 20 euros for a 3-course meal (choice for all courses) with half a litre of wine.

They were busy every night and at lunchtime, with locals which is always a good sign, I think. You might have to book the restaurant in high season, but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

Favorite Dish: Their cassoulet is good............I think. I have little experience of the area's speciality, but I enjoyed this restaurant's version.

• Singles

• Renteboy's Profile Photo

Quai Bellevue: Enjoy the view during lunch

by Renteboy Written Apr 8, 2006

the resto

You can order dishes shown by pictures ouside of the place. They have it in medium and large and unless you are a real American and/or who like super size, the last one is reeeealy big.

Favorite Dish: We ordered some large seafood plates... waaay to much food :-)
    It is not the Frence citchen but the food was not that bad ether. Most important when visiting these places; it was not expencive at all!

Instant Answers: Carcassonne

Comments

Carcassonne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Carcassonne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Carcassonne sightseeing.