Places to eat in Montpellier

• Restaurants
    by Toshioohsako
    Hubby looking at the menu before eating
    by Suet
    View of the Pub across from the tracks
    by Suet

Most Viewed Restaurants in Montpellier

• Suet's Profile Photo

Cerdan: Cerdan

by Suet Updated Sep 4, 2010

A delightful and resonably priced restaurant. We were cutting cost at this point 11 may 2010 as we had been in Montpellier for over a week. They did a really good formule at 13.50 each. We didn't have wine that night, resting the jolly old liver you know, so we paid 27 Euros.

Restaurant Cedan

• Suet's Profile Photo

La Diligence: La Diligence

by Suet Updated Sep 4, 2010

The location and Ambience is fantastic. I have eaten at this restaurant many times in the past and it was heaven on the palate. I don't know what happened this time, the food was beautifully presented, you could not fault that, but the taste was, well, tasteless. The lavender mousse was great. I will detail below the selection we chose, but quite frankly, either the chef was not tasting his creations or no one had a sense of smell or a gourmet palate.

Bring back the previous chef!!! I could have married him if I were not already married.

This last visit was in May 2010.

Favorite Dish: It WAS good in 2008. I would have married the chef. Now, the menu is a shadow of its former self.

A sample of the most expensive menu Hubby looking at the menu before eating Inside the restaurant My first course. The lavender mousse was amazing Second course. Looked good and tasted of nothing.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Hippopotamus: Best grill restaurant in town

by BurgerQueen Written Oct 25, 2007

This grill restaurant is in Antigone, just opposite to the Palais de la Région.
    The area is nice and not dangerous, and you can have a walk along the river Lez after your meal!
    Grilled meat is gorgeous and served with a large choice of sauces and vegetables. Deserts are delicious as well.
    Kids menus are also available.
    The restaurant offers a large free parking area.

Favorite Dish: Grilled meet, and chocolat fondant

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Au bonheur des tartes: The best salted and sweet cakes ever

by BurgerQueen Updated Oct 18, 2007

"Au bonheur des tartes" is simply perfect in my opinion.
    We did not manage to book a table the last time we visited Montpellier, so I'm not really up to date with prices and menus.
    It is fa amily-run restaurant, and it's quite small, only a few table. It is highly recommended to book in advance, above all in weekends. Everytime I enter this restaurant I feel like being at home.
    The restaurant is peculiar, the menu is mainly based on cakes, both sweet and salted. The idea is that you get 3 slices of salted cakes and 3 slices of sweet cakes so that you can taste different recipes. Of course, French recipes!

The restaurant sign

b & l: Intimate and friendly

by BurgerQueen Written Oct 16, 2007

b & l is a small and tiny restaurant close to the St Roch square, in old Montpellier.
    There are a lot of restaurants in this area, and most of them were fully booked: Montpellier was incredibly crowded because of the Rugby World Championship.
    We chose this restaurant because they had a table for us, and we really spent a nice evening there.
    The restaurant is very small (6 - 7 tables) and thus very intimate. Lights are soft, and candles are spread all over the restaurant. Fourniture is very simple and modern, and there are a lot of art pictures on the walls. The kitchen is visible, and it is possible to see the restaurant cooks cooking for you!
    There is no menu, dishes can be chosen from a blackboard outiside the restaurant. Food is fresh (they serve a lot of seafood and vegetable dishes) and the staff is very friendly.

Restaurant business card Back of the restaurant business card

• jessiegirl's Profile Photo

Cafe du Theatre: Favorite Cafe

by jessiegirl Written Feb 11, 2007

This is my favorite place to hang out. It sells everything- food, cafe, drinks, desserts. It's located right in the Comedie so it's a great place to people watch. There are tables and chairs set up outside. You can also go inside and sit around the bar or go upstairs which is decorated very "french posh cafe'y" . The wall facing the Comedie is glass so you can sit up against it and people watch if it's too cold outside. This is such a good place to hang out because you can people watch and also there are street performers who put on little shows. In the warmer months it's a good place to sit early in the day and catch the sun, and in the colder months they have several space heaters that they set up in a tent.
    I love the staff. The servers are Pablo, Sebastien, and ***.
    My favorite thing about this place besides the location, staff, and menu is the ambiance.
    This is basically where I spent my entire year in montpellier- sitting at this cafe with my friends or by myself people watching, drinking, smoking, making friends. My roommates and I even took our pet bunnies here and the staff would get them little water dishes.

Favorite Dish: best cafe in the world for 1.30 euro.
    If you're looking for a sweeter drink try the cafe vennoise.
    The Sangria is incredibly strong!
    Best tea in the world- caramel tea and peach tea.
    If you're hungry and you like seafood, order the mussels. You get a kilo of mussels plus bread for around 8 euro. it's a great thing to share with friends on a summer afternoon.
    If you dont like seafood, order one of their pizzas. They're amazing.

• Study Abroad

• jessiegirl's Profile Photo

La Creperie: Crepes

by jessiegirl Written Feb 11, 2007

This place is located in the center of the Comedie. It has a wide variety of good crepes- dinner and dessert. It's a little pricey as far as crepes go, around 10 euro each. But it's a good place to go out to dinner on a nice night and sit outside and people watch. In the winter you can also sit inside the restaurent which is cozy and the staff is friendly. There's also a squeaky rubber chicken involved somehow...

Favorite Dish: My favorite dinner crepe was the chicken, mushroom and rice crepe. it has a cream of mushroom sauce.
    Favorite dessert crepe.. obviously nutella with whipcream
    Favorite drink: caramel tea.

• Study Abroad

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Le Vieux Four: Meat, glorious meat!

by kit_mc Updated Dec 28, 2005

This restaurant was really rather popular, packed to the gills in fact. I noticed that restauarants in Montpellier, when they are actually open (which is a tough one on a Sunday) really do need booking ahead. The staff were pleasant and helpful, my French being appalling, I was grateful too for a menu in English - which actually made sense! Now that's a rareity.

I ate really well in Montpellier, this joint included, and so I'd say my motto here would be, avoid Place de la Comedie. And get your mates to take you to their favourite restaurants if you can!

Favorite Dish: This place serves some meaty things to stuff yourself with, their best dish I'd say was the huge slab of quality steak that arrived on a great piece of wood and is shared between two people. Comes, strangely, with a rather nicely done, baked potato. The dish is 49 euro between 2 people.

Obligatory food shot.
    • Gay and Lesbian

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Chez francine: Oysters

by GUYON Written May 22, 2005

We went at Francine in early May. The Bouzigues restaurants have few clients. Francine was full. A clue...
    The restaurant faces the Bassin de Thau and enjoys the sunset at dusk. The parking is not an issue at least in May : there is a free street parking. I guess it is a concern in Summer, even if it is a toll parking.

Favorite Dish: The main dish is the oyster raw and alive or cooked and dead. It is very fresh : just the time to cross the street because it comes from the neighbor Bassin de Thau (at least I guess).

If somebody likes meat they have a steak.

Chez Francine

• viny32's Profile Photo

Mac Coy Saloon: Mac Coy Saloon!!!!

by viny32 Updated Sep 6, 2004

Really close to my office, we use to go there 1 time a week!
    Not so expensive (for lunch), the waitresses and waiters are also really nice, and have the sense of humor!

Favorite Dish: Well, not a supprise I always take the same dish .... (like usual), I take a 'boulier', I's a kind of 'chinese calculator' (with balls). You can chose what you wish to put in your salad mix.
    -Tomato, Different kind of cheese, chicken, cuncumber (beurk!), Corn...it should have around 20 things to mix as you want (or don't want).
    As a desert, you can not leave the restaurant before eat the 'cherry crumble' (ok ok, may be a little bit of sugar in it ;) ) or the brownies (if your stomack is still 'empty'.
    After you have lots of Chicken or Beef BBQ meals.... if you're not confident with my 'boulier' ;)

• LES CIGALES: Last few hours in France

by roastie Updated Mar 23, 2004

Gettng there 15minutes late and being the last table to leave the restaurant, they treated us better than expected. It helped that at least one of us was a regular.

Of course its French.

Favorite Dish: I believe all four of us had the fish, sea bass and rouglet, which I believe to be red snapper.

Always order from the single fare menu, recommend the 15-25 euro menu. Typically you get an appetizer, entree and desert.

• Waoife's Profile Photo

Blue The: People Watching & Delicious Desserts!

by Waoife Updated Sep 18, 2003

Located just off the main pedestrianised area this restaurant makes a great stop for a bite to eat and a chance rest your weary feet.

Favorite Dish: A bit pricey but the desserts here are really nice and the portions are pretty big too so you could always share ;-)

• ghavaneyk's Profile Photo

I didn't have one favorite...

by ghavaneyk Written Sep 7, 2002

I didn't have one favorite only. In the evening I strolled through the city discovering every evening new and surprising places.After all it's a medieval town and everything is on walking distance.

Favorite Dish: Anything, but you should try anyway one of the typical plates of the 'Midi' although it origins from Nice and not from Montpellier: The world famous Salade Niçoise.
    But most of all, look for a 'terrasse' on a beautiful spot.
    Like one of these.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

APARTE: APARTE

by GUYON Updated Sep 7, 2002

After a visit to the artists, craftmen and shopkeepers of the village, it is pleasant to go there to drink a tea or a chocolate with a pastry, in the middle of books.

Favorite Dish: It is both a bookstore and a restaurant located in an ancient house of the village of Pezenas.

L'Aparte in Pezenas

• grannysmith's Profile Photo

There is a whole block of...

by grannysmith Written Aug 25, 2002

There is a whole block of restaurants in Antigone overlooking the river Lez and the Hotel de Region which is lit up at night. Each place is different in decor and atmosphere and price.
    In the city center, The Salmon Shop is great, small and rustic with a varied menu considering it's only salmon and great desserts!

Montpellier Hotels

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Suitehotel Montpellier
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Montpellier

Comments

Montpellier Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Montpellier locals.
Map of Montpellier