Favorite thing: •In 1095 the newly-built town is named VILA FRANCA ('Town of free-trade') by the Count of Cerdanya. The tax privileges bestowed on Villefranche encourage the installation of many different trades: weavers, tanners, drapers, stonemasons, merchants...
•In 1277, exclusive market rights are granted for the sale of meat, fish and vegetables on the Place de l'église.
•In 1654, the Treaty of the Pyrenees brings about the division of Catalonia into South Catalonia and North Catalonia (currently the Pyrénées Orientales department).
Fondest memory: •In 1681 Vauban builds Fort Liberia and remodels Villefranche, making the ramparts higher. He oversees the construction of a barracks, a hospital, watch towers, gunpowder stores and the demolition of the Franciscan convent in the town.
•From the 18th Century to the present day, under Louis XVI (1783), the narrow carriage gates are replaced by larger gates in pink marble and a drawbridge.
- Castles and Palaces
- Historical Travel
History of Villefranche-de-Conflent
Favorite thing: 1090 - Villefranche-de-Conflent is founded by Guillaume Raymond, Count of Cerdagne.
1117 - Authority over Villefranche passes to the Counts of Barcelona.
1344 - Villefranche passes to the Kingdom of Aragon.
1463 - Villefranche becomes French for the first time, under Louis XI.
1493 - Guardianship of Villefranche passes to the Kingdom of Castille.
1654 - Villefranche is captured by the french after a six-day siege, to give it up right away.
1659 - Under the Treaty of the Pyr?n?es the province of Catalunia is divided between France and Spain.
1669 - Vauban makes his first tour through Roussillon. Vauban improved the medieval defences of Villefranche, also drawing
up plans to build a detached fort.
1679 - Vauban's second tour of Roussillon, this time as Commissaire general des Fortifications.
1793 - Villefranche falls to an invading Spanish force. Later the same year the town is retaken by the French.
1850 -The town's defences are linked with Fort Liberia up on Mt Belloc. Some 70% of the distance between the two is covered by subterranean works, including the "stairway of a thousand (734) steps"
1890 - Villefranche ceases to be a garrison town of the French Army.