Foix Favorites

  • Favorites
    by ranger49
  • Favorites
    by ranger49
  • Favorites
    by ranger49

Most Recent Favorites in Foix

  • ranger49's Profile Photo

    Under the Mistletoe - or Gui.

    by ranger49 Updated Apr 28, 2008

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    Favorite thing: This is not so much a Tip as a comment with a question - specially for botanists, arborologists or anyone who knows that mistletoe is not just for kissing under at Christmas time.

    We started our journey in the Pyrenees Atlantiques and travelled through the foothills of the pyrenees towards Foix.
    The further east we got in to the Ariège Department we became increasingly aware of the exceptional amount of mistletoe to be seen in trees along the route.

    We live close to the Monmouthshire/Hereford border and are used to seeing mistletoe in the Hereford apple trees but had never seen such a prolific infestation as this.

    When we spoke to the receptionist at our hotel near Foix she told us first that "gui" is used to decorate homes at Christmas and the tradition of a "kiss under the mistletoe" is also practised in the area.
    But the problem was now acute and many trees had died as a result it is a major problem in the region.

    Any answers anyone?

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Visite de la vieille ville...

    by Klod5 Updated Nov 9, 2004
    Olds houses in town

    Favorite thing: La place Parmentier
    Cette place a la particularité d'abriter une des plus belles maisons à colombage de Foix. Situé sur l'un des itinéraires vers Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, l'hôpital Sant-Jamme occupait la place de l'actuel Hôtel de ville; en 1837, l'hôpital est détruit et cède la place au collège de Foix qui devient lycée en 1881. Le 14 juillet 1889 la mairie s'installe à cet emplacement. La place Parmentier (XIXème siècle) devient le marché aux pommes de terre, une halle est construite en 1851 d'où le nom de "plaça de las patanas".

    La chapelle Saint-Jacques
    En haut des Allées Villote se situe l'ancien monastère des Capucins (1634) avec la chapelle Saint-Jacques. Vendu comme bien national sous la Révolution, successivement prison et fabrique de salpêtre, ce couvent fait désormais partie de l'Hôpital de Foix.

    Le Pont de Saint-Girons
    Très belle vue panoramique sur le Château à partir du pont.

    La chapelle Notre-Dame de Montgauzy
    Montgauzy (Mont de la Joie) est un lieu de pèlerinage connu depuis 1112. Couvent et église sont détruits pendant les guerres de religion, seule l'église est reconstruite. A l'emplacement du couvent, en 1844, est bâtie l'École Normale d'instituteurs où le compositeur Gabriel Fauré passe son enfance. De là, joli point de vue sur l'ensemble de la ville.

    Fondest memory:
    The Parmentier place
    This place has the particularity to shelter one of the most beautiful half-timbered houses of Foix. Situated on one the itineraries toward Saint-Jacques of Compostelle, the Sant-Jamme hospital occupied the place of the present city hall ; in 1837, the hospital is destroyed and yield the place at the college of Foix that becomes high school in 1881. July 14, 1889 the town hall gets settled to this site. The Parmentier place (XIXth century) becomes the market to the potatoes, a covered market is constructed in 1851 from where the name of "placa de las patanas".

    The chapel Saint-Jacques
    In top of the Allees Villote is located the former monastery of the Capuchins (1634) with the chapel Saint-Jacques. Sold like very national under the Revolution, successively jail and factory of saltpeter, this convent is part of the hospital of Foix henceforth.

    The Bridge of Saint-Girons
    Very beautiful panoramic view on the Castle from the bridge.

    The Notre-Dame chapel of Montgauzy
    Montgauzy (Mount of Joy) is a known pilgrimage place since 1112. Convent and church are destroyed during the wars of religion, only the church is rebuilt. To the site of the convent, in 1844, is built the Normal school of teachers where composer Gabriel Fauré spends his childhood. From there, pretty point of view on the set of the city.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    In the streets again...

    by Klod5 Written Nov 9, 2004
    Houses with pontils

    Favorite thing: Rue du Rival
    Classée monument historique en 1926, la porte du N°37 de la rue date de 1617.

    Rue de la Préfecture
    La rue est agrémentée d'une belle maison avec caryatides. L'abbaye de l'ancien monastère de Saint-Volusien (XVIIIème siècle) est décrétée bien national en 1790, puis acquise par le département qui en fait le siège de son administration puis de la préfecture.

    Le square de l'Arget
    Décoré d'une fontaine de pierre taillée (grès) du XVIIIéme siècle (site inscrit), le square offre un lieu de détente tout à fait agréable.

    Rue du Palais de Justice
    Cette rue se situe à l'emplacement du premier noyau urbain de la ville entre le Xème et le XIIème siècle. C'est la que s'élevait Saint-Nazaire l'église primitive de Foix. En 1933, trois sarcophages du Haut Moyen Age sont découverts: ils sont les vestiges du premier cimetière de la ville. En haut de la rue, au pied des escaliers menant au château se trouve une jolie fontaine du XVIIIème avec son bassin-abreuvoir. A l'entrée de la rue de l'Arget, deux tours médiévales témoignent du temps passé.

    Rue des Chapeliers
    Au numéro 23 se trouvait l'Hôtel de Séré-Tréville; la famille comptait parmi ses ancêtres le célèbre capitaine des Mousquetaires sous Louis XIII, amis de d'Artagnan et ancien gouverneur du comte de Foix (XVIIème siècle)

    Rue des Grands-ducs & Roc de Foix
    Les nombreuses grottes percées dans le roc du château ont servi d'abri dès la Préhistoire. Éclats de silex, sagaies, perçoirs... témoignent d'une lointaine présence humaine à Foix ( de 1800 à 1500 avant notre ère).
    Pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, ces grottes ont servi de cachettes et elles ont été habitées jusqu'a une date récente. Adaptée au relief la rue des Grands-ducs (du nom des oiseaux occupant les fissures du rocher) est un des rares vestige du premier village médiéval, installé au pied du château avec ses ruelles étroites en escalier enjambées par des "pontils" (passage aériens).

    Fondest memory:
    Rue du Rival
    Classified historic monument in 1926, the door of the N°37 of the street dates 1617.

    Rue de la Prefecture
    The street is ornamented of a beautiful house with caryatides. The abbey of the former monastery of Saint-Volusien (XVIIIth century) is enacted national well in 1790, then acquired by the department that makes the seat of its administration of it then of the prefecture.

    The square of the Arget
    Decorated of a built stone fountain (sandstone) of the XVIIIth century, the square quite offers a place of détente pleasant.

    Rue du Palais of Justice
    This street is located at the site of the first urban core of the city between the Xth and the XIIth century. It is the that rose Saint-Nazaire the church primitive of Foix. In 1933, three sarcophaguses of the Aged Middle Top are discovered : they are the vestiges of the first cemetery of the city. In top of the street, to the foot of stairs leading to the castle is a pretty fountain of the XVIIIth with its basin-trough. To the entry of the Street of the Arget, two medieval towers testify of the past time.

    Street of the Hat
    To the number 23 the hotel of Sere-Treville was ; the family counted among her forebears the famous captain of the Musketeers under Louis XIII, friends of Artagnan and former governor of the count of Foix (XVIIth century)

    Rue des Grands-ducs & Roc de Foix
    The numerous underground cave pierced in the rock of the castle acted as shelter since the Prehistory. Bursts of flint, assagais, awls... testify a faraway human presence to Foix (of 1800 to 1500 before our era).
    During World War II, these underground cave served hiding places and they have been lived until has a recent date. Adapted to the relief the Rue des Grands-ducs (of thebird's name occupying the cracks on rock) is one of the rare vestige of the first medieval village, installed to the foot of the castle with its narrow alleys in staircase strides by "pontils " (passage aerial).

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    L'église Saint-Volutien et sa place.

    by Klod5 Written Nov 9, 2004
    Church

    Favorite thing: Église classée Monument Historique en 1964. Saint-Volusien, Évêque de Tours, exilé par les wisigoths dans la vallée de l'Ariège (495) est devenu le Saint Patron de Foix. Une légende tardive en a fait un martyr décapité par Alaric II roi des Wisigoths. Ses reliques ramenées sur le site de Foix, probablement dans une chapelle sur le rocher, sont l'objet de vénération.

    Fondée au IXe siècle, l'abbaye Saint-Volusien de Foix acquiert un très vaste domaine le long de la vallée de l'Ariège jusqu'au portes d'Ax. Église et monastères s'élèvent à l'emplacement actuel au XIIè siècle, agrandi et embellis aux XIIIe et XIVe avant d'être détruits par les Guerres de Religion, puis relevés au XVIIe.
    De l'époque médiévale, l'abbatiale garde sa crypte, la base du mur sud de la nef et un beau portail du XIIe siècle dont les voussures retombent sur quatre chapiteaux, deux à décor végétal, deux autre ornés de lions et d'ovins. A l'intérieur, les belles stalles du XVIIe siècle proviennent de L'Abbaye Saint Sernin de Toulouse.
    Les bâtiments abbatiaux, dans lesquels s'installe la Préfecture de l'Ariège, sont en partie détruits par un incendie en 1804. La place Saint-Volusien est très tôt le centre actif de la vie fuxéenne. Sa vocation marchande reste intacte du Moyen-age jusqu'a aujourd'hui. En 1612, on la décrivait comme la place publique "tenue couverte et réparée", nantie de ses mesures à grains, d'une petite boutique, des tables pour les enchères, du carcan pour les larrons et les étals du marché.
    Visites guidées gratuites en juillet août sauf dimanche et jours fériés.

    Fondest memory: Church classified Historic Monument in 1964. Saint-Volusien, Bishop of Tours, exiled by the wisigoths in the valley of Ariege (495) became the Saint Patron of Foix. A belated legend made a martyr decapitated by Alaric II king of the Wisigothses of it. His relics brought back on the site of Foix, probably in a chapel on the rock, are the object of reverence.

    Founded in the IXth century, the Saint-Volusien abbey of Foix acquires a very vast domain along the valley of Ariege until the carry Ax. Church and monasteries rise to the present site in the XIIth century, enlarged and embellish in the XIIIth and XIVth before being destroyed by the Wars of Religion, then raised to the XVIIth.
    Of the medieval time, the abbey-church rank its crypt, the basis of the south wall of the nave and a beautiful portal of the XIIth century whose curves fall again on four marquees, two to plant decor, two other decorated of lions and of ovine. Inside, the beautiful stalls of the XVIIth century comes from the abbey Saint Sernin of Toulouse.
    The abbatial buildings, in which get settled the Prefecture of Ariege, are destroyed in part by a fire in 1804. The place Saint Volusien is very early the active center of fuxeian life. Its vocation bargains remains intact of the Moyen-age until has today. In 1612, one described it as the place public "covered holding and repaired", affluent of its measures to grains, of a small boutique, of the tables for the bids, of the collar for the thieves and the shops of the market.
    Visits guided free in July August safe Sunday and holidays

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Old treets

    by Klod5 Updated Nov 9, 2004

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Former house to flaps of wood

    Favorite thing:
    La place du Mercadal-Dutilh
    Site du marché à l'époque médiévale et moderne où se trouve encore 2 belles maisons à pans de bois, un bassin avec fontaine (site inscrit).

    La place du 8 mai 45
    Portail de Sainte-Geneviève, belle maison bourgeoise du XVIIIème siècle (site inscrit) qui est devenue une école religieuse vers la fin du XIXème.

    Rue Labistour et La Faurie
    Deux anciennes maisons à pans de bois se trouvent aux N°36 & 37 de la rue Labistour, et en continuant au N°23 de la rue La Faurie, une belle couronne comtale sculptée orne le coté de la Porte (site inscrit).

    La place de Labistour
    Au croisement de 3 rues, on découvre la charmante "fontaine de l'Oie" en fonte, en forme de cygne. La tour de Labistour (en occitan, fausse tours ou bastion) qui s'élevait à cet emplacement fut l'ultime vestige de l'enceinte du XIIème siècle; rasée en 1805, la tour supportait depuis 1425 l'horloge de la ville.

    Rue des Marchands
    La rue de Montelha est au Moyen-age une des plus riche de Foix. A proximité de Saint-Volusien et de la place du Marché, elle abrite le pouvoir communal et provincial avec l'Hôtel de Ville, la cour de Justice Consulaire et les États du Comté de Foix. Là chaque année, s'assemble les 110 représentants du clergé, de la noblesse et des villes et villages pour délibérer des affaires du pays. C'est grâce à ses États que le pays de Foix à pu conserver son identité à travers les siècles.

    Fondest memory:
    The place of the Mercadal-Dutilh
    Site of the market at the time medieval and modern where is 2 beautiful houses again to flaps of wood, a basin with fountain (site writes down).

    The place of May 8, 1945
    Portal of Saint-Genevieve, beautiful bourgeois house of the XVIIIth century (site writes down) that became a religious school toward the end of the XIXth.

    Rue Labistour and The Faurie
    Two former houses to flaps of wood are in the N°36 & 37 of the Rue Labistour, and while continuing in the N°23 of the Rue La Faurie, a beautiful crown comtale sculpted flowering ash quoted it of the Door (site writes down).

    The place of Labistour
    To the crossing of 3 streets, one discovers the charming "fountain of the goose" in melting, in the shape of swan. The tower of Labistour (in occitan, distort towers or bastion) that rose to this site was the ultimate vestige of the surrounding wall of the XIIth century; shaven in 1805, the tower supported since 1425 the clock of the city.

    Rue des Marchands
    The Rue de Montelha is in the Moyen-age one of the richest of Foix. Close to Saint-Volusien and the place of the Market, it shelters the local and provincial power with the city hall, the Consular judicial court and the Etats du Comte de Foix. There each year, assemble the 110 representatives of the clergy, the nobility and cities and villages to deliberate business of the country. It is thanks to its Etats that the country of Foix to can preserve its identity through the centuries.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    La visite du centre historique

    by Klod5 Written Nov 9, 2004

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fron the castel

    Favorite thing: Flânez dans les ruelles du centre ancien à la découverte de la vielle ville, ses monuments et son histoire. Remontez le temps en parcourant cet itinéraire historique où les sites les plus pittoresques sont signalé par des panneaux.

    Allées de villote
    Villote (petite ville) était au Moyen-age un espace situé hors de l'enceinte entourant la ville construite en 1330.
    Des exécutions capitales se déroulaient parfois à l'emplacement des allées actuelles. Plus tard, après la destruction des murailles de la ville, des plantations d'arbres (XVIIIe siècle) et des travaux d'urbanisme avec fontaine et orchestre champêtre, en font le lieu de promenade privilégié des fuxéens, et le site des grandes fêtes de septembre.

    La place Saint-Vincent
    Charmante petite place avec au centre une fontaine en pierre et en fonte, à tête de lion.
    On peut noter l'étroitesse singulière des maisons anciennes situées derrière la fontaine.

    Fondest memory:
    Stroll in the alleys of the old center to the discovery of the vielle city, its monuments and its history. Carry up the time while browsing this historic itinerary where the most picturesque sites are signalled by panels.

    Allees de villote
    Villote (small city) was in the Moyen-age a space situated out of the surrounding wall surrounding the city constructed in 1330.
    Some fundamental executions sometimes took place to the present alley site. Later, after the destruction of the defensive walls of the city, of the plantations of trees (XVIIIth century) and of the works of urbanism with fountain and rustic orchestra, make the place of privileged walk of the fuxeens of it, and the site of the big feasts of September.

    The place Saint-Vincent
    Charm small place with to the center a fountain in stone and in melting, to head of lion.
    One can note the narrowness singular of the old houses situated behind the fountain.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Foix, une histoire de plus de 15 000 ans…

    by Klod5 Written Nov 9, 2004
    The town, seen from the castel towers

    Favorite thing: C’est dans les grottes du Roc de Foix que l’on a retrouvé les premières traces de présence humaine, celles-ci datant de la préhistoire.
    Bien plus tard, il semble que les romains aient construit un fort sur le piton rocheux.
    Puis autour de l’Abbaye Saint–Volusien connue dès 849 et du château élevé avant l’an mil, une vie urbaine se développe au XIIe siècle.

    Ville agricole, artisanale (métallurgie et textile), et centre de marchés, Foix connaît sont apogée économique au XIVe siècle avant de décliner lentement. Plus attachée à la défense de son particularisme qu’aux initiatives économique, elle doit surtout son prestige à son rôle de capitale comtale, toujours conservé, de siège des Etats de Foix et de Gouverneur du Pays de Foix.

    C’est cet héritage glorieux qui lui permet d’être choisie comme chef-lieu du nouveaux département de l’Ariège en 1790.

    Fondest memory:
    It is in the underground cave of the Rock of Foix that one recovered the first traces of human presence, these dating of the prehistory.
    Well later, it seems that the Roman constructed a strong on the rocky peg.
    Then around the abbey known Saint–Volusien since 849 and the castle raised before the year thousand, an urban life develops itself in the XIIth century.

    Agricultural, artisanal city (metallurgy and textile), and center of markets, Foix knows are economic apogee in the XIVth century before declining slowly. More attached to the defense of its particularism that to the economic initiatives, it especially owes its prestige to its role of capital comtal, always preserved, of seat of the States of Foix and Governor of the Country of Foix.

    It is this glorious inheritance that allows him to be chosen like county seat of the new department of Ariège in 1790.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Le pont du diable

    by Klod5 Updated Nov 9, 2004
    Pont du Diable

    Favorite thing: « Il y a bien longtemps ... dans les terres ariégeoises ... deux villages étaient séparés par une rivière infranchissable, rendant très difficiles les échanges entre ces communautés et les villes importantes de la région. Proches des cités de Foix et de Tarascon-sur-Ariège, Ginabat et Montoulieu se trouvaient ainsi écartés des voies commerciales. Il fallait alors se risquer à traverser cette rivière ou la contourner en traversant les forêts hostiles.

    Voulant résoudre ce problème, un habitant passa un pacte avec le diable. Ce dernier construirait un pont mais il prendrait alors l'âme du premier qui le traverserait. En une nuit, le pont fut construit ...

    Au lever du jour, personne ne voulait emprunter ce pont surprenant. Mais un habitant de Ginabat eu l'idée de le faire traverser par un chat. Il servi alors le marché conclu avec le diable mais celui-ci s'emporta et entre dans une violente colère ! Il hurla et gesticula au point qu'il perdit l'équilibre et tomba dans un tourbillon.

    Le curé de Ginabat, alerté de ce qui se tramait près de sa paroisse, pris alors de l'eau bénite. Le Diable est ainsi piégé dans ce tourbillon ... mais est-ce bien pour l'éternité ? »

    Ce pont a été construit au XIIIème siècle. Il s'agit d'un ouvrage fortifié à deux arcades. Il est facilement accessible depuis la route (N 20) qui relie Foix et Tarascon-sur-Ariège

    Fondest memory:
    « Has well a long time... in the earths ariégeoises... two villages had separated by an impassable river, making very difficult the exchanges between these communities and the cities important of the region. Near of the cities of Foix and Tarascon-Sur-Ariege, Ginabat and Montoulieu were thus remote of the commercial ways. It was necessary to risk then to cross this river or to get round it while crossing the hostile forests.

    Wanting to solve this problem, an inhabitant passed a pact with the devil. This last would construct a bridge but he would take the soul of the first that would cross it then. In one night, the bridge was constructed...

    To the rising of the day, no one wanted to borrow this surprising bridge. But an inhabitant of Ginabat had the idea to make cross it by a cat. He served the market concluded with the devil then but this one lost temper and enter in a violent anger! He/it screamed and gesticulated to the point that he/it lost the balance and fell in a whirlwind.

    The vicar of Ginabat, alerted of what was afoot close to its parish, taken then of the blessed water. Is the Devil trapped thus in this whirlwind... but this is well for the eternity ?»

    This bridge has been constructed in the XIIIth century. It is about a work fortified to two arcades. It is easily accessible since the road (N 20) that joins Foix and Tarascon-Sur-Ariège

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Foix et le Catharisme

    by Klod5 Updated Nov 9, 2004

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castel of catharism

    Favorite thing: La famille des comtes de Foix est très liée au catharisme. Esclarmonde de Foix, soeur de Raymond-Roger (mort au début de l'année 1223) fut même ordonnée parfaite à Fanjeaux par Guilhabert de Castres vers 1204. Philippa, épouse de Raymond-Roger (lui-même était cependant catholique) dirigeait une maison de parfaites dès 1206. Son fils Roger Bernard II (mort en Mai 1241) épousa Ermessinde de Castelbon. Cette dernière et son père devaient être jugés à titre posthume par les inquisiteurs d'aragon en 1270, exhumés et brûlés.

    Le château résiste en 1212 à l'assaut des croisés, mais est donné en gage au légat du pape en 1214. Ce dernier le remet à Simon de Montfort. C'est en 1218 seulement que le comte Raymond-Roger peut de nouveau entrer dans son château.

    Participant activement à la tentative de retour de Trencavel en 1223, Roger Bernard de Foix reprend Carcassonne aux cotés de Raymond VII de Toulouse, parmi les faidits.

    Le château de Foix est réoccupé par le roi de France à partir de 1229, pendant 5 ans, suite à la paix négociée par Roger Bernard de Foix, fils de Raymond-Roger.

    Fondest memory:
    The family of the counts of Foix is bound very to the catharisme. Esclarmonde of Foix, sister of Raymond-Roger (death in the beginning of the year 1223) was ordered perfect even in Fanjeaux by Guilhabert of Castrate toward 1204. Philippa, wife of Raymond-Roger (himself was however Catholic) directed a house of perfect since 1206. His son Roger-Bernard II (death in May 1241) married Ermessinde of Castelbon. This last and his father had to be judged to posthumous title by the inquisitors of aragon in 1270, exhumed and burnt.

    The castle resists in 1212 the assault of the crusaders, but is given in pledge to the pope's legate in 1214. This last hands it to Simon of Montfort. It is only in 1218 that the count Raymond-Roger can enter again in his castle.

    Actively participating in the tentative back from Trencavel in 1223, Roger Bernard of Foix takes Carcassonne to quoted them of Raymond VII of Toulouse, among the faidits.

    The castle of Foix is reoccupied by the king of France from 1229, during 5 years, following the peace negotiated by Roger-Bernard of Foix, son of Raymond-Roger.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Poebus, comte de foix

    by Klod5 Written Nov 9, 2004
    On the towers of the castel

    Favorite thing: Foix sera le le siège de nombreux arbitrage durant la guerre de Cent Ans, du fait de la position de premiers territoires français du midi.

    Parmi les comtes de Foix, Gaston Phébus (écrit souvent Phoebus, 1331-1391), ainsi surnommé du fait de son goût pour les belles lettres et sa chevelure blonde rayonnera par sa réputation flatteuse dans le midi. Bon chevalier, grand chasseur, il fut le type du grand seigneur du XIVe siècle. Cependant, son comportement en privé aura pour conséquence la mort de son fils unique, qu'il tue lui-même par un excès de colère en 1382 ...

    Fondest memory:
    Foix will be the the seat many arbitration during the war of Hundred Years, because of the position of first French territories of the noon.

    Among the counts of Foix, Gaston Phebus (writes Phoebus often, 1331-1391), nicknamed thus because of his taste for the beautiful letters and his blond hair will radiate by its flattering reputation in the noon. Good knight, big hunter, he was the type of the big Lord of the XIVth century. However, his behavior deprived some will have for consequence the death of his unique son, that it kills himself by an excess of anger in 1382...

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    The Castel of Gaston Phoebus

    by Klod5 Updated Nov 9, 2004
    Foix - the castel

    Favorite thing: La ville est surplombée par le château comtal, situé sur une plate-forme rocheuse.

    De géométrie élancée, il présente deux donjon de forme carrée et reliés l'un avec l'autre par deux courtines. L'ensemble est entouré d'une enceinte dont la pointe sud est composée d'un autre donjon de base circulaire (datant du début du XVe siècle).

    Ce dernier abritait la chapelle (au rez-de-chaussée) et domine l'accès à la citedelle.

    Sans doute fondé vers 799, Foix est d'abord un monastère. Habité en premier lieu par des bénédictains, puis par des chanoines de saint Augustin (XIIe siècle).

    Le comté est créé au début du XIe siècle lorsque que le comte Roger de Carcassonne divise ses terres pour donner Foix à son fils cadet Bernard-Roger. Ses successeurs règnèrent sur Foix jusqu'à la fin du XIVe siècle. La ville se développe autour du monastère, en parallèle du rayonnement des comtes de Foix.

    Fondest memory:
    The city is overhung by the castle comtal, situated on a rocky platform.

    Of slim geometry, it presents two dungeon of shape square and bound one with the other by two courtines. The whole is surrounded with a surrounding wall whose tip south is composed of another circular basis dungeon (dating the beginning of the XVth century).

    This last sheltered the chapel (to the ground floor) and dominate the access at the citadel.

    Probably found toward 799, Foix is first a monastery. Inhabited in the first place by benedictains, then by canons of Saint-Augustin (XIIth century).

    The county is created in the beginning of the XIth century when that count Roger of Carcassonne divides his earths to give Foix to his son cadet Bernard-Roger. His successors reigned on Foix until the end of the XIVth century. The city develops itself around the monastery, in parallel of the radiance of the counts of Foix.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • Klod5's Profile Photo

    Foix, an city of cathares

    by Klod5 Updated Mar 9, 2003

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Foix - the castel

    Favorite thing: At the time of the crusade of the albigeois, the Cathars were numerous in the region, and Foix, as other cities of the south of France known the Inquisition and the repression.

    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Foix

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

74 travelers online now

Comments

Foix Favorites

Reviews and photos of Foix favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Foix sightseeing.

View all Foix hotels