Fun things to do in Lourdes

The crucifixion
    by GentleSpirit

Most Viewed Things to Do in Lourdes

Light a Candle

by Maryimelda Written Feb 18, 2014

Many believe that if you light a candle in conjunction with a prayer, then the prayer will continue to be prayed as long as the candle burns. In the grotto at Massabielle, there are many candle stands with candles of all sizes available for lighting. There is a charge of course to cover the cost of the candles and the bigger the candle the bigger the charge. Don't worry, the charge won't break the bank. You can usually light a candle for a euro or two.

The stands are very well maintained unlike those at Fatima (in Portugal) at which candles are literally thrown into the stand resulting in a bonfire of sorts which to my mind, removes the reverence for the act of lighting a candle in prayer. It is lovely to see how beautifully they are arranged at Lourdes. The grotto always fills me with peace and great joy.

Prayerful candles at work

Parish Church of Lourdes- Sacre Couer

by GentleSpirit Written Nov 6, 2013

This is a modern church begun after the first apparitions took place. It was not consecrated until 1903.
    This church was built over the old Church of St Pierre ( St Peter), some of the furnishings of which can be seen in the museum in the castle. One such treasure, the baptismal font where St Bernadette was baptised is in the present church.

This church is away from the tourist area, it is across the street from the main tourist office in Lourdes. In its crypt are the remains of Mgr Peyremale, the priest of Lourdes at the time of the apparitions.

Facade of the Sacre Couer Church interior of the Sacre Couer Church

The Old Presbytery

by GentleSpirit Written Nov 6, 2013

This where St Bernadette came to the priest of Lourdes to tell him what she had experienced and what the Virgin had said.

Part of the old wall still exists as does the doorway. There is a plaque honoring this.

The Holy Stairs

by GentleSpirit Written Oct 16, 2013

On the Way of the Cross you will see a set of stairs that pilgrims will go up on their knees. It is a copy of the holy stairs that led up to the praetorium of Pontius Pilate in Jerusalem. Pilgrims climb these to honor the Passion of Christ

Chateau-fort of Lourdes

by GentleSpirit Written Oct 12, 2013

They like to point to the fact that the Chateau of Lourdes has never been successfully conquered.

There is documentation that the castle was attacked by Charlemagne in AD 778. It was the home of the Dukes of Bigorre (the region Lourdes is in) and later served as a prison under various different governments.

Today the castle houses the Pyrenean Museum which attempts to show the history and culture of the Pyrenees region (both Spain and France since the borders have changed so much) I had very little time, unfortunately, so I really didn't get to see the museum at all.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

Making it comfortable for limited mobilities visit

by listenandlearn Written May 14, 2012

14 May 2012
    Hello there,

My husband and I come to Lourdes as often as our time permits. I have done volunteer work for the hospital right at the Santuary. What we would advise you is to contact the hospital right inside the Santuary and explain your capacity of mobility. There are hundred and hundreds of patiences that are not able to even seat up, etc. and at no cost to you, they will happily accommodate you, feed you three meals a day with snacks in between. As far as having a companion, yes, I had seen and met close relatives of patience next to them, but the hospital accommodating you have to enquire from the hospital.
    In the event this will not suit your needs...I mean, staying at the hospital of Santuary, then there are wheelchairs you can use for free from the hospital also. What you need to do is approach the front desk at the hospital and explain your situation. There are special small mini carts (something similar to a golf carts) that is allowed to move around the Santuary), yes, feel comfortable and approach the hospital at the Santuary, best if you can write to them and best if you are unable to speak French then get in touch with the nearest French Consulate and have them translate your letter to French.
    Oh, your asking the distance from the main entrance to the grotto? It is a good 15 minutes easy walking to the grotto. Now the cathedral, walking to the cathedral from the main entrance to the cathedral it would be a good 15 - 20 minutes - please be aware that the cathedral is going up hill. However, please be informed that there is this underground church of Saint Bernadette, which is just breathtaking. It is huge, beautiful and huge. June happens to be one of the highest peak season to come to Lourdes, through out the summer, you will experience thousands of pilgrims, visitors, tourists, locals just crowding Lourdes, it is just such a beautiful and lovely idea of being in Lourdes.
    Please, whatever you decide to do, please take a good nap in the afternoon so you will have enough energy for the 9 o'clock P.M. procession. In your case, you can be in a wheelchair and just stay put in a corner near the cathedral with your Mom and pray the rosary with everyone. Everytime we would advise people to attend this beautiful novena, my goose pimples arises.....this is just a way of my expressing how much this 9pm procession means to us of my husband, it is just such a beautiful feeling everyone can experience, so please bring your candles and join the 9pm novena which will be every night. Try to be in que by 815pm, so you will have a nice place. Kindly if you remember, say a special prayer for us and my family. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

• Disabilities

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

BITS&PCS. OF ADVISE&SUGGESTIONS 4 ur LOURDES TRIP

by listenandlearn Written Nov 11, 2011

Today is the 11 November 2011, we just arrived from Lourdes and both my wife and I have that special happy, peaceful mind feeling just being and feeling closer to Our Heaven Father. We stayed in Lourdes for 3 nights and 4 days and felt that we did everthing one can think off. We stated at this RESIDENCE SOLEI and we would recommend it to anyone who wants to a small kitchenette and a large and comfortable bathroom.
    The weather was rainey, on and off, although with a bit of umbrella or raincoat it was not much of a big deal.
    You really do not need a tour guide when inside the santuario. What one needs to a full focus on thanking Our Lord for what he had given us and offer sacrifices and prayers for people all over the world. A book is most sufficient which indicates the birth place of St. Bernadeth, it will also tell you that there is this big huge church underground, which everyone must go and see the church. There you will find large paintings and photos of all your favourite saints, and saints you must not have heard off, although they do exist.
    About Tarbes, yes, Tarbes isn't too far from Lourdes, if your on a budget, there are public buses which you can consider to be quite effecient, once your next to the train station, the ticketing employees will show you where to catch the public bus for TARBES. Walking at nights in Lourdes, I never found it scarey or thoughts of anyone hurting others, this is a place of prayers, a place we would consider a holy place, when walking it is but common sense to stay where it's lighted and on the main street and stay low profile, and nothing will go wrong. If your hotel is near the train station, the main street is always lighted up even after the stores are close which is normally by 9pm most stores on the main street are close, but the street lights are bright. It is alright to ask many questions, because that shows your preparing for any unexpected thing to happened avoiding it to happen. What you need to plan to to bath at the holy pool (the call it "PICENA", since it's now considered winter, we did our bath at 1 in the afternoon which was not so cold. Although, the volunteers would provide and help you through out the bath, my wife nor I needed a towel to try which the volunteers provided, I think the holy water just dries on you....it is all IN OUR FAITH" Have a peaceful, solem time. Please offer a prayer for our intention. If you need more help please do not hesitate to write us directly, we will be happy to fill you more information should you need more information. GOD BLESS!

• Disabilities

• Martinamargaret's Profile Photo

The Baths, The Cemetry , The Poor Claires Church

by Martinamargaret Written Jun 1, 2011

I have been very lucky to be going to Lourdes this year 1st July 2011 as it is my 8th year continous. I have known many miracles which have happened in those years and over the last 20yrs as I have been one of a few people who has been responsible for the care of the sick and vunerable people/children who have gone. I went into the baths a few years ago as I knew of people who found it very cleansing. I found it very cold but afterwards It was difficult to describe how warm my whole body felt afterwards, it is indeed an experience and I would recommend people to try it at least if only once. I was not until 2yrs ago that I discovered the cemetry where Bernedette's family are buried the most recent in 2007. It is also something to visit. The Poor Claire's Church which is three quarters up the steep hill in the 'Old' part of Lourdes is a must, it is so peaceful, quite and comfortable. It is managed by the Poor Claire nuns and there is a little shop attached as you enter throught the front door where you can buy the lovely Rosary beads which the nuns make, together with medals, holy pictures and many other items. There is Mass there every day at different times and it is one of my favourites Churches in Lourdes. I have witnessed many 'Miracles' over the years and I have tremendous faith in 'Our Lady of Lourdes' as I know she is always with me and helps me at difficult times. I could talk forever of Her and I do get very emotional when I do so.
    I am looking so forward to going yet again this July. I only wish I could be sure I would be able to visit for the rest of my natural life, but unfortunately it is getting very dear and very difficult to find the resources to go. But then again I said that to my Reverend Parish Priest last year and he said "if Our Lady wants you to go, you will go" and here I'm going, it is indeed another Miracle from 'Our Lady'.
    This picture is a recent drawing which I have done of 'Our Lady of Lourdes' and Iam hoping to raffle it in Lourdes to give the proceeds to The Lourdes Sick Fund of Huddersfield.

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo

Lourdes water tap wall

by Maximilian21 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Next to the basicica is the water wall. The water in Lourdes is said to have healing properties and people come to this place to take the water in hope of theior own healing. I have been here a few times once in summer and the other in winter, unfortuntely during the winter time the water taps freeze over rending it imposible for you to sample the water.
    I guess it comes down to faith whether you believe in this or not but it does bring rise to some contrversy because some outlsets actually sell the water for as much as $100 a bottle.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

TOUR DU FRANCE

by xymmot Written Jan 30, 2011

IF YOU ARE IN FRANCE AND JUST HAPPEN TO COME UPON ONE OF THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS BICYCLE RACE IN THE WORLD, BY ALL MEANS STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES. I STARTED IN THE BASE OF THE PYRENEES IN LOURES AND ENDED UP CLIMBLING SEVERAL SUMMITS TO JOIN THE TOUR. THE HIKE WAS REFRESHING AND THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD WAS GREAT

I HAD TO WALK THE SUMMIT FROM HERE 6 KM AWAY ROAD SIGN DELAYS REACH THE SUMMIT 2HRS LATER FOLLOW THE TEAM VAN IF THIS IS NOT LIVING WELL?

• lomi's Profile Photo

Visit the cathedral

by lomi Updated Jun 17, 2010

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes. A visit to this immense cathedral is essential viewing.

It is the largest Catholic pilgrimage destination in France and one of the most popular Catholic shrines in the world.

This small Pyrenees village of Lourdes, in France, attract millions of pilgrims annually. This is the site where, in 1858, a young peasant girl named Bernadette Soubirous, had several famous 'Virgin Mary' sightings. Today, the cave where she saw 'our lady' is at the base of the basilica, near the river, the mighty cathedral has been built on top of it. The thousands that visit, many in wheelchairs or even rolled in on hospital gurneys, swarm to the cave where Bernadette had her visions, to taste the water from the spring and light a candle, with hopes for a miracle.

Visitors come in search of a spiritual experience or a miraculous healing, by their thousands from Easter to October.

For a stress free visit go out of season. Most of the tacky souvenir shops, and a couple of places to eat are closed .

Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral
    • Archeology

• Become a Volunteer

by RosLondon Written Apr 19, 2010

To get the best experience of Lourdes I would highly recommend becoming a volunteer helper (either with a Pilgrimage or the Hospitalite Notre Dame de Lourdes). You'll come back very tired but you'll either be hooked or put off for life.

The Pic du Jer

by Maryimelda Written Apr 4, 2010

The Pic du Jer sits atop the Pyrenees overlooking Lourdes, Tarbes and Pau. Obviously the views of all these places are spectacular. to get there you can choose to ride the funicular which is about a century old. The ride is beautiful and takes about six minutes to travel up the one km distance to the top. The funicular operates all year round but with longer hours in the summer months. There is a cafe at the top.

Used with permission
    • Photography

The Candle Light Procession

by Maryimelda Written Apr 4, 2010

No one should visit Lourdes without taking part in the Candle Light Procession. This spectacle, seen every night from March to November, will soften the hardest of hearts. Thousands of people appear as if from nowhere every night and pray the rosary in five different languages as they process around the sanctuaries carrying candles. The singng will lift your spirits but the sight will amaze you. From my experience, Friday and Saturday nights are the best, as the crowds are bigger and this of course, makes for a more magnificent spectacle.
    The procession usually starts at around 9pm Monday to Sunday.

The final prayers
    • Photography

• Marisola's Profile Photo

See Lourdes from Above!

by Marisola Updated May 26, 2008

Take a railway car to the summit of the Pic du Jer to see Lourdes from 1000 meters above. See some beautiful views and take some great photos there! The railway car will get you to the top in just 6 minutes. The cars run from spring through fall from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm. There are extended hours in the summer and limited hours in the winter months, so be sure to check the schedule. The price is 6,50€ per adult and 5€ per child (6 -12 years old).

Lourdes Andrew at the Pic du Jer
    • Mountain Climbing
    • National/State Park

Lourdes Hotels

• Grand Hotel Moderne

I was extremely comfortable during my stay at the Hotel Moderne. From the welcoming and efficient...

• Hotel Padoue

Upon booking I had requested an accessible room for my mother and was assured each and every hotel...

• Saint-Andre

The service was friendly and efficient. We felt very welcome here. It is well located within walking...

Latest Lourdes Hotel Reviews

Latest: Jun 7, 2014
Ibis Hotel - Lourdes
Latest: Jun 20, 2014

Instant Answers: Lourdes

Comments

Lourdes Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Lourdes locals.
Map of Lourdes