The village itself is a medieval one, with several arches and vaults. It has several gates entering it, on the Cabirole Gate it is possible to read about the taxe set by Louis XIV on fishes. Another gate, the Majou Gate, is interesting in that it is the one pilgrims used. Following the ramparts it is possible to observe the Matacan Rock from which,...more
On the south east end of the town is the Porte Cabirole leading down onto the adjacent plain where the long destroyed ancient town is, where a small chapel still remains and also the Roman bases of buildings from before the 5C are occasionally explored. In town other 16C buildings still are used.more
A small group of old streets surround the church on the slopes of the town. The oldest set from the 15C before a devastating fire, are a four story tower with a pepper pot roof, now the post office, and the next door Maison Bridaut. Further down is an old wash house and 16C buildings.more
To the north of the hill on which St.-Bertrand now stands, in the plain below, stood the city of Lugdunum, begun in 70BC. By 50AD it had a size of 10,000 and had theater that could hold the population. At that time it had three baths, a market, a temple and a macellum. The remains today consist mainly of many building bases, a few fragments of...more
In the west gallery on the second pillar are a set of four column full length statues representing the Evangelists created about 1200 but not as fine as the figures a mile away near Valcabrere. All of the other sculpture is on capitals either before or after 1250. The earlier pieces are crude religious figures, animals or more developed foliage...more
From the hill on which the Cathedral of St.-Bertrand is set, the south side of the cloister looks out over the Pyrenees adjacent. Beyond the east and west galleys there used to be other monastery buildings. The north side was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15C against the church wall which contains gisants and other funerary elements.more
St. Bertrand was canonized in 1218 and probably died in October of 1123. He probably entered the church around 1073 and became a bishop in 1083 which is about the time that the cathedral was started and his miracles were already well under way. The return of his body to the church occurred in the first half of the 14C and has been untouched since...more
There are 66 choir stalls and each is well carved; there are 38 in the upper level, each with tall backs and fine statues, using every type of woodwork. The stalls are in an area separated from the sanctuary. At the back of the choir a Jube runs across the nave with different work on the outer side. Only the western two bays were used for the...more
The various parts pf the inside of the church are quite interesting. Not only are the stalls in the choir of interest but the sanctuary is decked out in fine sculptured furnishings. Immediately next to end is a statue of St. Bertrand and next to it is the elaborate Bishop's throne and other fine works. The wood work runs down the sides and behind...more
The structure of the church changed during its building from Romanesque to Gothic. It developed as a single aisle chamber with a set of five east end chapels and an additional two chapels on each side and a further northern Notre Dame one. It is built of local stone, not using brick at all. The ceiling at the east end centers upon a keystone of a...more
How to get there :
Airport : Toulouse-Blagnac Tarbes-Lourdes
Railway station: Montréjeau-Gourdan-Polignan. Then Taxi or bus station (get off at Labroquère Bridge, 2 km from Saint-Bertrand)
Highway: A 64-Bayonne Toulouse - exit Montréjeau
Route: From Lannemezan or Saint-Gaudens: RN 117.
Coming from Spain or Luchon: RN 125. Excellent access signs.
Bus services during the tourist season from Lourdes Luchon (information in the office of tourism).
Parking cars and tourism in Saint-Just and Saint-Bertrand.