Impressions & Souvenirs, Toulouse

Know about this? Rate It!

gare matabiau and bus terminal
    by gwened
    canal du midi in city center
    Place Wilson
  • gwened's Profile Photo

walking around Toulouse

by gwened Written Nov 18, 2013
    Place Wilson

Favorite thing: Its a city dear to us as wife's father comes from nearby,and we visit often. It is ,also, a city that I need to visit on business quite often.

Its a wonderful pink city of France. Walking its marvelous around the canal du midi and the train station Matabiau:or the place Wilson. The historical college/ lycée Pierre-de-Fermat , it occupied the space of the old hôtel de Bernuy. It is annex to the cloister of the church of Jacobins.

Walking is the best way to know a city and Toulouse is no exception. I had these photos and thought of putting it in general just for knowlegde and general enjoyment of the city.
    Enjoy it

Fondest memory: walking along the Canal du Midi

• Architecture

• chess_machine's Profile Photo

Claude Nougaro's song

by chess_machine Updated Oct 4, 2005

Claude Nougaro

Favorite thing: I know very little about Toulouse, only been there once for one day.

The other day, I was listening to Claude Nougaro's song, which is called Toulouse. So much emotion. It is a love declaration from Nougaro to his city.

His warm voice gives you the impression that you know the city and make you want to go there.

Just a perfect song.

C'EST PEUT-ETRE POUR ÇA QU'ON TE DIT VILLE ROSE

JE REVOIS TON PAVE, O MA CITE GASCONNE
    TON TROTTOIR EVENTRE SUR LES TUYAUX DU GAZ
    EST-CE L'ESPAGNE EN TOI QUI POUSSE UN PEU SA CORNE
    OU SERAIT-CE DANS TES TRIPES UNE BULLE DE JAZZ ?

VOICI LE CAPITOLE, J'Y ARRETE MES PAS

• Music

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Meeting the French

by barryg23 Updated Nov 12, 2004

Fondest memory: One sure way to test your language skills is to chat with a native. Susan had travelled to Toulouse on an exchange trip many years previously, so one evening we met up with her pen-pal Claire, and Claire's boyfriend, at a cafe in the centre of town.

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo

the food!

by Jonathan_C Updated Aug 2, 2004

Favorite thing: In Toulouse you are in the capital of the Midi-Pyrenees, one of the gastronomic centers of the western world. The food here is hearty and wholesome and delicious beyond belief. As we all know, the chefs in heaven are French and I'd bet money they're from south central France. Don't spend your money on effite, expensive meals in Vienna or Paris or London. Shoot your wad on dinner in Toulouse as you may never get better value.

Sit down at any of the outdoor restaurants in the evening and begin with a caraf of red wine and bread. Many menus feature a complete meal for 15-30 euros that will include a salad, a main dish and a dessert. You can plan on spending at least two hours eating and talking and soaking up the city. If you are alone you might choose the place du Capitole for people watching. If you are a couple you may prefer one of the quieter spots on a side alley. Head down rue St. Rome from the Captiole and turn right on rue du May for two more intimate establishments.

When I was 20 I spent a summer staying with a family in Millau on the Tarn. In four weeks I managed to put on fifteen pounds. (One never wants to offend by turning down the host's cooking.) It also happened to be the best food I had ever eaten! The father of the family had grown up on a farm and eaten well all his life. His favorite expression -- which he said in his thick Occitan accent while patting his gut -- was "La ventre, ca plait aux femmes." (A man's stomach pleases women.) I managed to lose most of those pounds over the course of that summer but I still have a serious weak spot for the cuisine of these parts.

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo

street music

by Jonathan_C Updated Oct 29, 2003

gadoulka player

Fondest memory: Wandering through the center city one last time before my imminent departure my heart found resonance with some mournful Balkan melodies I heard. Around a corner I found an old Bulgarian busking on the sidewalk. I gave him my last few euros and sat down to listen for a while. His French was pretty minimal but he did show me how his gadoulka, which has no fingerboard, is played with the nails rather than the tips of the fingers. Over perhaps 20 minutes he gave me a little tour of Balkan melodies, some melancholy, some cheerful and some so beautiful I didn't want to leave.

Eventually I did leave, of course, and I wish him much success in his wanderings. He is certainly doing his small part to spread joy in the world -- a sort of inverse traveller, voyaging more to give away what he's brought with him than to bring back something new.

• Emmjai's Profile Photo

Food shopping in Toulouse

by Emmjai Written Jun 12, 2003
    Decision time in Toulouse

Favorite thing: A treat to the senses, there were the most wonderful specialist food shops inToulouse. Cheese, Chocolate, WIne and Foie Gras were highest on my shopping list, but the choice was enormouse, and making a decision difficult!

Fondest memory: Amazing meals

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Allez les Bleuz

by barryg23 Updated Jun 11, 2003

Fondest memory: Euro 2000:* As Ireland didn't qualify and we were in France for the competition, I was cheering for the French team. While we were in Toulouse they played Portugal in the semi-final , a game which I think they won 2-1. we watched it in a bar near Place du Capitole.

Party in Noe

by s_odyssey Updated Feb 17, 2003

The country, Noe, July 2001

Fondest memory: One of my first experiences as a Southern French Misses. Noe is 10 km out of Toulouse, and a fine host invited us for a stay at her home in the country. An artistic crowd ranging from theatre to music, some driving in all the way from Marseilles, helped make this weekend exceptional. A proper lesson in the art of drinking pastis, a midnight swim, BBQ's, picking plums for breakfast and thats just naming a few of the highlights. Thank you Marie-France!

Fierras de Mont de Marsan

by s_odyssey Written Feb 25, 2003

July 2001, Pena Los Mouquiros

Fondest memory: The fierras happen in the Basque regions of France throughout the summer. This particular one took place in Mont de Marsan, a south-west village not too far from where Dartagnan and his companions chilled a long time ago. A manifesto of white t-shirts, red bandanas, great atmosphere, plenty to drink and many to drink it with. Who can stay clean??? A special hello out to Gaby whom I was never able to find! AKA Pena de Gaby...

• Adventure Travel

Funny Socks!

by s_odyssey Written Nov 16, 2002

Fondest memory: After taking a deeper look at what men were actually wearing as socks, I couldn't help myself but to look down everytime I was climbing up a staircase behind someone at work. From the most serious encounters to the charmers, it is to my conclusion that every business man in Toulouse has got a sense of humour when it comes to the final touches.

• A very special walk is the one...

by patri Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: A very special walk is the one on 'Les Bergère' that is to say along the river Garonna....so you can have a lovely view of the city..then a coffee or a tea in one of the many bar there.....if you like reading the 'Ombres Blanches' is the right library....normally they organize meeting with authors and expositions

Fondest memory: I miss the light of the evening, the Cinémateque, The Cinema Utopia, the restaurant 'Le Bouchon' where you can eat good french food, tradionally and not at a good price. I miss also the beauty of the St. Sernib Church and the walking along the Garonna and the one alon the Canal du midi which arrive too the ocean..and you can have a walk by bycicle ..is really nice especially in springtime.

• I would definitely propose...

by Mousy Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I would definitely propose Coffee/tea and crepe at the Sherpa at rue du Taur ,close to Capitole square.Absolutely THE place to taste DELICIOUS crepes, listen to good music and catch up with your friends!

Fondest memory: The truth is that now that i am back home i miss my friends from Toulouse.But one of my best memories (didn't seem like good one when we lived it every single night!!) was the promenade we made from our residence to Pl. St.Pierre ,by the river ,the 'allee de Brienne'.

• fabrice's Profile Photo

toulouse has a special...

by fabrice Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: toulouse has a special accent,the accent of the south;there is a famous singer:claude nougaro,who can seduce women,only by speaking with the toulouse accent

Fondest memory: a bad memory,but toulouse is for nothing;I was in a train from nice to bayonne,and I got sick in the train;I had to go down at toulouse to find a doctor!

• almogaver's Profile Photo

almogaver's General Tip

by almogaver Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: There are many places in this town than leave a fond memory
    in my head and my heart. Perhaps I choose a walk along the
    riverside of the Garonne, with the last summer ligth mixted
    with the street lamps over the bridges. All this reflected
    in the river is like a dream.

• tojeil's Profile Photo

tojeil's General Tip

by tojeil Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: True, it is 'Pink City' indeed. Due to the nature of all brick buildings which gives it this special 'cachet'!
    Peace and quiet that's how I felt in Toulouse. The city IS busy and on the run but still in a relaxed and easy way!

Instant Answers: Toulouse