Le Bon Vivre (The Good Life!), Toulouse

5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

15 bis, place Wilson. Toulouse 05 61 23 07 17

• 2 Australians; 1 German; 2 Swedes; 2 Danes, & 1 US
    2 Australians; 1 German; 2 Swedes; 2...
    by suzyav8trix
  • Flyboy9MR's Profile Photo

Le Bon Vivre: Excellent Local Cuisine!

by Flyboy9MR Written May 17, 2013

Went here with a coworker while in town on business. There's a local dish that is a Casoulet that was apparently well-known for the Toulouse Area... he said this one had the best tasting one of all the versions he tried around town! I also had it... it was pretty good. Lots of beans... duck, sausage, pork inside a cheesy sauce. The Foie Gras was good too... as an appetizer. Definitely worth a visit. Lots of what seemed like locals here.

Favorite Dish: Casoulet

• Business Travel

• suzyav8trix's Profile Photo

Le Bon Vivre (The Good Life!): Foie Gras and other Faves

by suzyav8trix Updated Mar 30, 2005

Excellent food. Truly "French" ambiance. NOT full of tourists -- when I had lunch here in Feb 2005 it was packed with locals. I think I may have been the only non-local in the place.

Upon our first visit in Nov 2004, there were 8 of us from all corners of the world -- 2 Australians, 1 German, 2 Swedes, 2 Danes, and 1 American. Despite that fact that none of us spoke, read, or understood French, the service was outstanding. One waitress spoke great English and was assigned to our table and really went above and beyond. We tipped her well. Everyone was satisfied with their dishes and wine and the price was not too expensive (not cheap either, but it was France, ya know.)

They had about 2 menus in English, which the waiter tried to give me when I returned for lunch in Feb 2005. However, I had been studying French and got seated and ordered wine and water, all in French. When the waiter saw me with my English/French dictionary was when he tried to give me the English menu -- I was just verifying the ingredients because I'm allergic to seafood and didn't want any excitement. He let me struggle through my whole order and was thoroughly charmed as I slaughtered his beloved language.

Another large group of us returned a couple of nights later. This time a German, 1 Aussie, 1 guy from the United Arab Emirates, and 4 Americans. One of the Americans was a typical rude American and I was almost embarrassed to be around him, but really had no control over the situation -- we're business acquaintances, nothing more. And we learned the hard way that "medium" or "medium rare" in America or Australia is more like "rare" in France -- but the waitress did not complain when 3 steaks were sent back to be cooked more thoroughly.

Desserts were wonderful too and I do remember having profiteroles on one occasion that were quite good.

And the wine was good and reasonably priced.

Like I have said elsewhere in my writings, this is my favorite restaurant in Toulouse (that is open to the public, anyways.)

Favorite Dish: Foie gras de canard chaud aux raisins...en entrée 15 €...en plat 22 € -- Or, warm duck liver with sauteed grapes. I had the entree portion size which was plenty big as foie gras is quite rich.

2 Australians; 1 German; 2 Swedes; 2 Danes, & 1 US
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Toulouse

Comments

Hotels Near Le Bon Vivre (The Good Life!)
3.0 out of 5 stars