Boulogne-sur-Mer Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Boulogne-sur-Mer

Patissier Fred: Patissier Fred

by sue_stone Written Jul 4, 2006

sweet treats!

Patissier Fred is a friendly and delicious looking patisserie/café located on Place Dalton.

You enter and start to drool over the cake/pastry display immediately. If you are in need of a break, you can take a seat upstairs and have a coffee and a treat, or pull up a chair at one of the tables at the front of the shop and watch the scene on Place Dalton.

On our second visit to Boulogne we stopped by for a coffee and a snack. We ordered at the counter and then took a seat outside to watch the activity at the weekly food market.

Favorite Dish: We all had a coffee, I had a coffee éclair, Chris had a huge apricot pastry and Alex had a very delicious quiche.

The food was delicious, prices reasonable and service was with a smile.

They also sell a good selection of bread and savoury items.

Restaurant La Matelote: Michelin Star Meal

by sue_stone Updated Oct 24, 2005

Inside La Matelote

The main reason we went to Boulogne was to have dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant, La Matelote.

Located across the road from the beach attached to Hotel La Matelote, this was quite an experience - old fashioned service in a beautifully decorated room (not to my taste, but nicely done).

Although posh, the restaurant still allows small dogs….there was one at (or should I say under) the table next to us.

Favorite Dish: While we were perusing the menu they bought over some complimentary appetisers. We ordered main meals and desserts (had to order dessert up front). They then bought out complimentary entrees with 4 mini things to try each - yum!

Main meals arrived - fish - really great. Then we received complimentary
    pre-dessert treats....there was a freshly baked madeleine with cream, and also
    a 2 tiered platter of mini cakes! Then to top it off they bought out some
    fairy(candy) floss!!

And this was all before our dessert....which of course by this stage we didn't need...but had to eat....(the sacrifices we make!!) I had a Lemon Soufflé and Alex had an amazing Choc/Hazelnut cake/biscuit thing.

Needless to say it was a slow waddle back to the hotel!

• Wine Tasting

Brasserie Hamiot: Great Brasserie

by sue_stone Written Oct 24, 2005

moules & frites

If you want somewhere old-school but still fashionable for a meal in Boulogne, check out Brasserie Hamiot.

Attached to Hotel Hamiot, this red boothed brasserie is fabulous! The service is professional and very French and the food is excellent. It is a really great space, most enjoyable.

Favorite Dish: Not wanting too huge a lunch, we both opted for moules & frites (mussels & chips), which turned out to be a huge serve of both…couldn’t even finish the chips (unheard of!!).

The food being served up around us looked fantastic – there was a HUGE shellfish platter to one side of us, and what looked to be half a pig on the other side…the French sure know how to eat!

• Wine Tasting

La Auberge du gout francais: Traditional foods

by grets Written Jul 24, 2004

Gingerbread tablecloths and a very traditional French menu. If you've ever wanted to try something different, this is the place to come.

When we ate there, a large screen played old Abba songs.

Favorite Dish: I always like to try something new, and ordered Veal's Head. The meat itself was very nice, but it was served with bones, fat and skin and little bits of jellied stuff. I wasn't keen on the sauce that went with it.

My husband had beef borgionne which he said was excellent.

• grets's Profile Photo

Le Bon Accueil: Mind your head!

by grets Updated Dec 13, 2004

We've been here three times now, and every time we have been very satisfied.

The first two times we sat downstairs, but this time we decided to see what the upstairs was like. The waitress said something to me in French as I started climbing the stairs. Just as I worked out that tete means head, I hit my head on the overhanging girder. Ouch.

Favorite Dish: We have enjoyed Beauf Bourguignonne, omelette and seafood au gratin here. All equally enjoyable.

Most restaurants serve seafood: Seafood

by grets Written Jul 24, 2004

Don't forget to try the seafood while you're in Boulogne - it is some of the best in the world. I particularly like the Coquilles St Jaques - scallops to you and me. Most restaurants will have a selection of seafood on their menu.

Poivriere: Elegant and friendly

by grets Written Jul 24, 2004

With cloth napkins and tablecloths, this restaurant appears to be a little above the others in the vicinty.

Very friendly service and the waitress is extremely helpful.

As the name suggests, the emphasis is on pepper, and they do a great pepper sauce.

Favorite Dish: Coquilles St Jaques Gratin

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Le Swan: Enjoyable, relaxed lunch

by MikeBird Updated Oct 25, 2008

Moules marini��res

Walking up the cobbled, pedestrianised, Rue de Lille towards the Cathedral and in amongst several other restaurants and tourist oriented shops you will find this traditional restaurant that specialises in seafood.
    The four of us each enjoyed our meal, chosen from a wide menu. I think we thought the starters and main were better than the oversweet lemon tart but I'd recommend the Monkfish.

The decor was ocean oriented with shipping charts and old fishing nets on the walls. The owner was very friendly and we enjoyed a joke with him - each trying out the others language- his English was about as bad as was our French.

The cost for the four of us for 3 courses with 2 carafes of house wine was about £80.

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

Pierre Chaude: Superb food and friendly staff

by Kettleman Updated Feb 21, 2010

Dropped in to Boulogne on a day trip across for lunch. We chose Pierre Chaude from the board outside and the more traditional look inside. Plus it was packed.

We had a table by the window and the radiator. Sticking to the menu of the day we had fish soup, boeuf bourgignon and then creme caramel.

The soup was hot and was very tasty, the beef was very well cooked and the dauphinose was superb.

Favorite Dish: Moules or Boeuf Bourgignon.

• Photography

• Chamarel: Something unique

by Gent_Jim Written Jul 26, 2010

Superb family restaurant serving authentic cuisine from Reunion/Mauritius! First time I have tried this cuisine, and to an Englishman, it’s Indian with a very nice twist. The restaurant is done out in tasteful decor, and the service was charming and very helpful. As an English Expat, I will certainly return when next in Boulogne, as this sort of cuisine is very hard to find outside the major cities, and would be hard to beat anywhere. They have only been open a couple of months, but I sincerely hope they do well...the French can be a bit frightened by spice!

Favorite Dish: I ordered a prawn massala with saffron rice, it was accompanied by 3 delicious side condiments (tamarind paste, peanut paste and a hot chilli paste) and an aromatic local salad/raw vegetable dish.

• Business Travel

SNACK BAR: LA CANTINE

by GrantBoone Written Apr 22, 2013

We stopped here for Baguettes and beer ( for myself!) at lunchtime , the staff were friendly and its in a beautiful location on one corner of the old town square. The weather was glorious as we sat outside in the sunshine!

Delicious curry: Food halls on P &O. ferries

by GrantBoone Updated Apr 22, 2013

We had full English breakfast on the ferry on the outward journey and a curry for dinner on our return ferry crossing back to England. Beer with the curry was a bargain £1!

snails!: local cuisine

by GrantBoone Updated Apr 22, 2013

We were not brave enough to sample this particular dish! Just passing by a shop window when they caught my eye.....

Instant Answers: Boulogne-sur-Mer

Comments

Boulogne-sur-Mer Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Boulogne-sur-Mer restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boulogne-sur-Mer sightseeing.

View all Boulogne-sur-Mer hotels