Calais Favorites

• Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Calais

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 9, 2015

Fondest memory: When I was choosing a tour to the United Kingdom, I thought over about the right and most interesting way to get there from Moscow. The first but the least interesting way was by plane. I didn't like it! The second and the third were more interesting: by train under La Manche and by ship or ferry over La Manche.
    Finally I chose the third way, that’s why I found myself in Calais Ferry Port.
    And I would say I wasn’t mistaken! What a great impression to cross La Manche seeing the continental coast with Calais and in a few minutes to see the White Cliff of Dover!

You can watch my 2 min 35 sec Video Calais Port Ferry out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 34 sec Video Calais-Dover by ferry out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• jo104's Profile Photo

French toilets

by jo104 Written Aug 31, 2007

Favorite thing: I needed to go to the ladies, and was directed to a public toilet the make known as Sanisette.
    The instructions were in writing as well as audible but the door did not open (perhaps someone inside already - we do not know) Beware though to discourage vagrants the door opens after 15 minutes & then the whole toilet is washed, scrubbed & disinfected in 60 seconds ready for the next visitor. Young children may be too light to activate the system & unless you want your child to be included in spin cycle it is best to accompany them into the loo. The cost was not much but change is not given.

• grayfo's Profile Photo

History of Calais

by grayfo Written May 9, 2007

Favorite thing: Calais came about because of its geographical position. Flints in primeval tombs found on the heights of the Calais show that this part of the continent was lived in since prehistoric times. The origin of the name Calais is obscure, the popular version is that Calais is called "Caletum" on a former map, and that the Calèteses came to help the Morins to oppose the Roman invasion, they established themselves here and founded a colony to which they gave their name. Over a number of years this changed to become Calais.

Calais - Map 1725

• JulesH's Profile Photo

Great for shopping

by JulesH Written Nov 12, 2002

Favorite thing: The main town is quite compact with many shops and restaurants. Because it is so compact, it is also very busy. We experienced some minor hostility towards the English, but I'm sure this was just an isolated incident. The driving we encountered was abysmal, however, and I escaped death on more than one occasion. Not sure if it was a deliberate attempt on my life though ;)

centre ville

• chinookch47's Profile Photo

Flowers in your hair, flowers everywhere

by chinookch47 Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: As many French Towns it has suffered during WW2 and there is a museum in the middle of a square to remind us what happened, you should visit it.

Fondest memory: Flowers and the gardens in front of The City Hall, it is a small garden but very beautiful.

Garden at City Hall

Instant Answers: Calais

Comments

Calais Favorites

Reviews and photos of Calais favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Calais sightseeing.