Calais Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Calais

• bijo69's Profile Photo

Les Friteries: Try the local specialities

by bijo69 Written Sep 1, 2012

All around Calais you find these kioks selling chips and other fried stuff. Ok, it's far from healthy...but you should give it a try at least once.
    The portions are very generous, so if you're not too hungry take a small one.

• grets's Profile Photo

Le Mirador Brasserie: Great atmosphere

by grets Updated Apr 4, 2011

We first visited this restaurant in December 2002 with a group of friends. We became rather rowdy and raucous, and the staff joined in with the frivolities. We stayed well beyond their normal closing time of midnight, and some of the staff came back to our hotel to continue the fun until the early hours of the morning.

On our second visit in January 2004, we were quite surprised that the satff recognised us. We obviously made quite an impression last time. This time we were on our own and very quiet, but we still managed to be the last to leave.

Our third visit in December 2004, the staff again greeted us as long-lost friends and we received a couple of free drinks on the house. It makes you feel pretty special to be treated like a regular after such a long time.

Favorite Dish: I love all their food here. We have tried the following during our visits:

Home made paté
    Steak Tartare
    Steak au Poivre
    Crepe Suzette
    Tarte au pommes

I particularly enjoy their steak tartare. It is served cold with the raw steak mixed in with capers, finely chopped raw onion and egg yolk. I prefer it all mixed in rather than served seperately as they do in most restaurants.

They have set menues ranging from 14 Euros to 25 Euros. Drinks extra.

• Buffet de la Gare: Disappointing experience

by barb212 Written Dec 5, 2010

We went to Calais just for a day trip
    We wanted lunch, and this place looked friendly, reasonable, and (until then) we have always had good experiences with railway cafes / restaurants
    First problem - although there were French and British flags outside, no one spoke any English and they refused to try to understand any of my rusty French
    (I've just lost my ear for it, although can still read and write a fair bit)
    There was an English menu, and we managed to order from it
    I chose what was described as a regional speciality, my husband steak frite
    Second problem - I was served something cardboardy with frite
    No one even tried to understand what I was saying, so I ate it
    Later on the bill, I found out it was veal, much more expensive, and from a different part of the menu to that I ordered from
    In other words, it wasn't a simple mistake as to which picture I was pointng at
    We paid the bill, left and I stood crying in the station forecourt

We can't recognise the place from the other reviews
    I managed to communicate successfully with other French people in Calais

Favorite Dish: Poorly cooked veal escalope and steak

Le Channel: Gastronimique!

by nhcram Updated Jun 7, 2008

Have been recommended to us we just had to try this amazing restaurant out on our latest day trip to Calais. In the heart of the town very close to the main square parking is not a problem as there is a large public car park opposite.
    Owned by the same family for 30 years, the attention to detail is superb. You enter the restaurant by a glass automatic door and from the minute you walk in you feel special. The front of house is one of the Crespo sons and the husband and wife owners greet everyone that comes in.
    The seating area is styilsh and modern, as is the menu.
    There are 4 menus to choose from. The cheapest being Euro 21.50 up to Euro 52.00 per head. A la carte is also available if required but I am sure this is not needed as the menus are so good.
    We ordered the house wine iand the quality was perfect.

Favorite Dish: Complimentary fish canapes are brought to the table with your aperitif. For a starter Chris chose the Seafood platter which consisted of crab, oysters, langoustines, prawns and whelks. I chose the asparagus (in season at the moment) wrapped in a buckwheat pancake and sprinkled with cheese. We both chose the same main course of Duck on abed of beans and potatoes. Next came the cheeses. There was such a huge selection that I left it to Mr Crespo to choose. He put 3 different ones raning from very strong to mild. Served with a huge chunk f country bread it cleansed the pallet well. Sweet was heaven! a selection of gateaux, fromage blanc, clafoutis to name but a few. All looked good and the ones we had certainly tasted great.
    I will certainly be returning to this restaurant again.

The Detroit: Fantastic food in a fantastic restaurant

by nhcram Updated Sep 11, 2007

Inside the restaurant

I came here about 20 years ago and having been to a different restaurant in Calais for so many years thought it high time to come back. The food was just as good, the service excellent and the wine was superb.
    The chef served us some shrimps in garlic butter as a sampler which was a good touch.
    If you are looking for a cheap restaurant on a day out then forget it! This is a quality restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Seafood platter to start consisting of clams, winkles, prawns, whelks, crayfish and shrimps.
    Main course was a beautifully served sea bass with salad. To finish I had the patisserie which was filled with strawberries and creme anglais.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Le Buffet De La Garre: French fare at fair prices

by jo104 Written Aug 29, 2007

This is how to eat mussels!

When we arrived in Calais the shops were closed for lunchtime so when in Paris do as the locals do & go for lunch. Natalie (Nchram) took me to her favourite brassiere, it is a little stroll out of the market square.

Natalie ordered her favourite mussels & chips, the healthy option being in white wine & parsley or if you're feeling naughty indulge in white wine, butter and cream. I chose the menu of the day For Euro 16 & had warm goats cheese followed by La Cabonarde flamande & for dessert creme caramel. We enjoyed a carafe of the house white wine.

The brasserie opens from 6am for breakfast until 10pm and there is seating area outside as well as inside. The menu is in English as well as french & the waitresses do speak both languages but do appreciate those that try speak french.

Le Buffet De La Garre: Simple French Fare

by nhcram Updated Aug 11, 2007

Side view of the Restaurant

This has got to be the best place to enjoy the popular dish of Moules Frites (mussels and chips!) in Calais.
    We have been several times and have never been disappointed. They serve a good Muscadet to wash the food down with too.
    It is right next to the Railway Station and is easily recognisable.
    I have also tried other dishes and they have been of good quality too.
    The place is often frequented by locals which is always a good sign.
    Came her on August 11 2007 with Jo104 and I think she agrees with me too now

Favorite Dish: Mussels and chips. The salads are good too.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Le Détroit: Good value, delicious food

by adelinemmc Updated Dec 12, 2006

This is a local restaurant serving mostly seafood but also meat and frequented by a mix of locals and English on a booze cruise.

It looks and is upmarket and is located a bit apart from the cluster of cheaper restaurants near the Place d'Armes. You will therefore pay a bit more than average but will get fantastic food in tranquil environment, far from the boisterous groups of daytrippers.

You can order à la carte (off the menu) or choose one of the set menus on offer.

We had a 18 euros (cheapest) and an 27 euros (middle) menus. There is a cheaper menu available weekdays only and a more expensive menu.

The choice is wide for both menus:

starters such as: mussels, tomatoes stuffed with prawns, 6 oysters, paté, etc...
    Mains such as grilled sea bass, grilled bream, squid, entrecote with wine sauce, veal escalope in mushroom and creme fraiche sauce, etc...
    Desserts are more limited for 18 euros than for 27 euros, among classics such as creme caramel, creme brulée, ile flottante, cheese...

Wine is available in jug or in bottle from 12 euros upwards

Favorite Dish: 6 Oysters
    veal escalope in cream sauce
    Creme brulée (with the sugar burnt in front of you)
    27 euros

Moules marinieres (big pot for a starter!)
    Grilled bream

Total = 65 euros for two for an excellent meal with flawless service

La Mer: You must have the Seafood Platter

by nhcram Updated Feb 25, 2006

La Mer - Calais

This is a must if you want luxury eating. The seafood platter is huge and excellent.
    The platter include winkles, shrimps, prawns both in and out of the shells. Crab, lobster, oysters and more! Try the lovely house Muscadet wine to wash it down with.
    It is not cheap but luxury never is!! Nice friendly waiters, lovely and bright restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Seafood platter

• chrishc's Profile Photo

Buffet de la Gare: Mussels and chips for me please

by chrishc Written Jun 23, 2004

The doorway to a great meal

This is just a cafe attached to the station but the food is always good and the mussels and chips are really tasty (and quite cheap), washed down with a nice glass of Stella Artois.

We always finish our continental driving holidays here.

Favorite Dish: Mussels and chips, great value and gorgeous. Moules mariniere.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Dinner at Hotel Meurice: Dinner at Hotel Meurice

by ATLC Written Jun 7, 2005

CALAIS

A buffet style dinner was set out at hotel Meurice. That was very enjoyable, laced with plenty of wine, dance and laughter.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Lunch at the town hall: Lunch at the town hall

by ATLC Updated Jun 7, 2005

CALAIS

The French are good at catering, in my experience. About 130 packed lunches and it still looked elegant and tasted good too!

Instant Answers: Calais

Comments

Calais Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Calais restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Calais sightseeing.