Places to eat in Lille

Most Viewed Restaurants in Lille

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Haagen-Daz: Sweet Treat

by sue_stone Written Sep 19, 2004

Who doesn't love ice cream!!

After a delicious meal what better way to end the evening, but with a couple of scoops of creamy Haagen-Daz!!

We stopped off at the Haagen-Daz cafe for a coffee and some ice cream.

Favorite Dish: Favourite flavours include: Pralines & Cream, Macadamia Brittle, Dolce con Leche

Yum!

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Le Rallye: Convenient Location

by nhcram Updated Nov 11, 2004

At the end of a long hard day taking in all the sights all we wanted was somewhere near the hotel and this restaurant was round the corner.
    Very close to the railway stations it was surprsingly good!
    The waiter was attentive and the set menu was good value for money

Favorite Dish: I had the beef in Beer which was very tender and very tasty.

Le Rallye

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

La Petite Cour: La Petite Cour

by Oana_bic Written Nov 21, 2004

Right in the heart of Vieux Lille, le thats a lovely summer spot for traditional local cuisine. Some of the best:
    - terrine de foie gras de canard maison
    - tourte du Vieux Lille (maroilles, lardons, poireaux)
    - tranche de bries fondues
    - carbonnade flamande,
    - mousse au chocolat blanc et noir, tarte tatin

• Dabs's Profile Photo

All over Lille!: More street food

by Dabs Updated Sep 17, 2013

In addition to our stop for moules et frites, we also tried some of the food being prepared by the street vendors and it turned out to be some of the best food we ate on this trip.

First, we tried a chicken kebab, a bargain at 4E for a pita stuffed full of chicken, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and your choice of sauce. It was delicious!

Then we found a crepe stand that had both bananas and nutella, we saw quite a few burning their crepes, but this one was perfect. Lots of vendors seem to come out for the Braderie without seeming to do it on a regular basis, wait until you see them make something for someone before ordering. Also have a peek to make sure they are preparing things somewhat hygienically as there doesn't seem to be any regulation.

That was it for us but there were plenty of other options, waffles, cotton candy, churros and frites to name a few. You will not go hungry here!

Just a few frites! The requisite sauces for the frites Chicken kebab

• Dabs's Profile Photo

All over Lille!: Moules et frites

by Dabs Updated Sep 17, 2013

One of the traditions of La Braderie is eating moules et frites (mussels and french fries), on our most recent trip in September 2013 we saw a long line at the Brasserie du Zoo and they were offering moules a la crème so I picked to eat here. Plus it's the only spot that seems to be allowed to accumulate a pile of mussel shells, the attached photo was from many years ago when all of the restaurants competed to see who could get the largest pile but I'm guessing they stopped that in the quest for a little cleanliness.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the mussels with cream sauce, you get a huge pot and an empty bowl to put the shells in, I think the way you are supposed to eat them is to take one of the shells and use it to pluck the mussels out of the other shells. It also came with an enormous pile of frites, I think it was 12€.

Moules et frites (September 2013) Mussel shells! Moules et frites I didn't eat THAT many mussels! (September 2013)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Les Trois Brasseurs: Only Had A Coffee This Time Round

by johngayton Written Oct 17, 2012

I didn't get a chance to eat here on this trip but I know the chain quite well from my travels in Canada and the set-up here in France, where the chain originated, seems to be the same.

These are bright and buzzy brew-pubs with a bistro-style menu which is printed in glorious technicolour in the form of a tabloid newspaper, appropriately entitled - "La Gazette". There's pretty much something for everyone and the house speciality is a dish called "Les Flammekueches" which are a sort of a cross between a pizza and a crepe - a thin, crispy dough with a choice of pizza-style toppings.

The standard beers come in four styles; white beer, blond, amber and dark brown, all with their own characteristic flavours and different alcoholic strengths. In addition to the tap beers they have seasonal specials and a selection of bottled ones too.

Brew-pub Frontage Lille Flandres From The Terrace
    • Trains
    • Beer Tasting

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Flam's: Flammekueche

by barryg23 Updated Jul 16, 2007

We enjoyed a lovely meal at Flam’s, which specialises in Flammekueche, best described as something between a pizza and a crepe. The toppings are similar to pizza, though the base is as thin as crepe base. We both went for the 11 Euro menu which offered a choice between starter & main or dessert & main. Flammekueche go especially well with beer and, this being Lille, there was a good selection of beers on offer.

Flammekueche

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Chez LouLou: Avoid this place!

by ranger49 Written Apr 28, 2007

Our fourth and last night in Lille, a Monday and many restaurants closed. We were tired and had walked a lot that day so went with the good write up about Che LouLou in the free Guide - Easy Lille.. All the signage said Chez LouLou but when the bill came it was payable to La Bigouden - perhaps it has changed hands.?
    We experienced none of the "inspired, original, fabulous food and cooking" referred to in the Guide which did mention "some clumsiness in the service".
    The night we went the service was appalling - the wrong starters were brought, wine and water forgotten, a basket of rock hard stale bread was served; main courses - Pave de boeuf and Dos de Saumon barely edible the "medium rare" steak was raw in the middle, side salads limp and undressed.
    All the food had a strange flavour - as though someone had mistakenly put a drop of washing up liquid instead of oil into the pan. We could not face a desert or coffee but the bill still came to 59.30 Euros.
    Yes - we should have complained more, made a real fuss and refused to pay but we did not want to spoil completely what had been a most enjoyable four days in Lille.
    We just wont ever go there aagain.

Favorite Dish: None

• ranger49's Profile Photo

La Voute: Smoke Free!

by ranger49 Updated May 3, 2007

This small estaminet style restaurant is in a lane just off Grand Place and we came across it on our first night when we were not only attracted by the Menu but also by the No Smoking Sign.
    It is worth noting here that France is in the process of implementing a ban on smoking in all public places but some establishments have introduced it in advance of the 2008 deadline.

Typical French/Flemish food like waterzoi and potjevleish is served here; we enjoyed the Regional Menu at 19.50 euros . Servings are substantial and most dishes came with a generous side salad.
    My husband said his beef stew was one of the best and my rabbit casserole was delicious. From the Carte we sampled a rack of lamb - so good it could have been Welsh! and salmon in a cheese sauce. Local cheeses like Maroilles and Vieux Lille were a revelation- the former is matured in brine and has a good flavour, the latter is pungently delicious. Good beers and wines are served at average prices.
    Service was friendly and efficient and the place is very popular with locals. On busy nights you need to go early or make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: We both enjoyed all the meals we had here so it is difficult to pick a favourite!
    I am going instead to select the cheeses which we were introduced to - local, delicious and we had never tasted them before.
    So if you like cheese when in northern France look out for Maroilles and Vieux Lille.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Paul, patisserie & salon de thé: Paul, patisserie & salon de thé

by myriam_c Updated Aug 12, 2005

Paul is an old-fashioned salon de thé established in 1889.
    In the front of the building there's the bakery where you can buy their delicious pastries ; in the back is the salle where you can sit and have afternoon coffee/tea.

Favorite Dish: I'm not so much into pastries and sweets, but my husband had no trouble making a nice selection!

Paul
    • Architecture

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

La Terrasse des Remparts: You'll not regret it.

by morgenhund Written Apr 25, 2005

The restaurant is perched on top of a town wall - hence its name - and has been open now for seven years. I used to frequently get Eurostar to Lille from Brussels just to go and have a good dinner here - slightly extreme, I know, but the food was always outstanding.

The atmosphere is different to a lot of French restaurants - here the staff are attentive, and not as snooty as in many eateries. I first came here for a birthday meal with friends, and the hospitality was so good, as was the food, that we nearly missed the last train back to Brussels - fortunately the manager of the restaurant laid on a fleet of cars to get us to the train - now that is service!

Favorite Dish: The food is typically "Flemish" - Lille of course being the capital of French Flanders. There are numerous meat and fish dishes on the menu, with some wonderful pâtés for starter. There is a set menu at around EUR 20 a head which is also well worth a look. The wine list is very extensive, and the desserts are often a reason to postpone departure!

• Business Travel

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Chez Willi (Côte à Côte): Steak and frites

by grayfo Updated Sep 20, 2010

The Chez Willy is a steak house that was once part of the Côte à Côte Hotel and Restaurant chain. Do not let this put you off the service and quality were excellent, we first came here in 2002 and returned this year and ordered the same main courses.

June 2010

Favorite Dish: Steak and chips

Stock Photo

• Chiliweenie's Profile Photo

L'Huitiere: Lille's Best Restaurant

by Chiliweenie Updated Apr 4, 2011

À L’Huîtrière has had one Michelin star for decades. But, on the evidence of my meal, it deserves two. Everything about this place shouts quality. Its surroundings, the pretty streets of the old town, are delightful. Its front building, a 1920s confection of Art Deco and ceramic tiles decorated with fishy themes, is a delight.

I stepped inside. Immediately, I had the sense of gastronomy in the grand French tradition. Riedel (yes, I know they are Austrian) glasses, Limoges porcelain and Christofle cutlery adorned the tablecloths of pale lemon. Waiters in black tie moved purposefully around the light, oak-panelled rooms.

All was set fair for some really fine food. I caught sight of a plate of pink lamb as it was delivered to the next table. I was tempted. But no. I decided it would be the height of folly to play the carnivore in this Shrine to the Fish. So I was faithful to the call of the sea, and did not regret my fidelity. As I sipped a glass of rosé champagne and tasted the amuse-gueule – a tiny pot of tomato mousse and caviar – I surveyed the options. Oysters, crawfish, crayfish, lobsters, eels, langoustines, cod, monkfish, John Dory, red mullet, sea bass… but in the end I settled for scallops and turbot.

Sprinkled with black truffles and then wrapped in green cabbage, and sitting in a butter sauce with more slices of truffle, the scallops were tender and delicious. The freshness and hint of bitterness in the cabbage provided the ideal foil to the surrounding richness, and the combination of colours – green, white, yellow and black – was a treat for the eye. Then came the turbot, in a crisp and golden potato crust, with another butter sauce – this time with mushrooms and more of the divine truffles. The plate was too hot, but this tiny failing was easily forgiven, for this dish was superb – the firm, succulent fish partnered to perfection by the crunchy potato. Wonderful. Now, surely, the pudding could not live up to this standard. But it did.

Favorite Dish: With pancakes, oranges, butter, sugar lumps, cognac, Grand Marnier and a flaming pan, Monsieur Vandenbossche created by the table the best crêpes Suzette ever to enter my mouth. (And, believe me, I have eaten many, many crêpes Suzette.) Here was the epitome of pure, unalloyed self-indulgence. Each spoonful was a thrill and a joy. (I judged the 93 euros for these three marvellous courses a bargain.)

Dining Room
    • Wine Tasting

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Le Porthos: Le Porthos

by myriam_c Written Aug 12, 2005

A 'locals only' place. Lovely small bistro style restaurant/bar with a few tables on the sidewalk.
    They are open for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or just for a glass of beer or wine.
    Lots of first class wines are available by the glass.

Favorite Dish: Plat du jour: filet de rouget accompagnée d'un feuilleté d'haricots. DELICIOUS!

• Architecture

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

La P'tite Havane: A little bit of cuba in Lille

by cochinjew Written Mar 12, 2008

I had been invited to a dinner in Lille ( I took the 5 28 TGV from Paris) and in my honour, a Cuban Restaurant had been chosen.. Cuban restaurant in Lille?
    When you enter the place, it does look like a well decorated Paladar from Havana. it has a cuban feel to you, just the design of the place, bar in the centre to the side, tables around it. of course, the decor was completely cuban, with a large flag presiding over it all. I met the couple and the daughter from Varadero (where he was chef for many years) and the warmth generated was incredible. I was as happy to meet them as they were to meet someone from home.. who was there just so recently.
    Cocktails, the usual range. The dishes are Paladar quality but presentation is very differnt from a paladar, this is where the chef training and french sense comes in. the plates are presented well. The wife who was in the kitchen today is from Guines, a small sugar mill town near Havana. The daughter studying Business at the local university.

Favorite Dish: The menu is fairly simple, straightforward and small. The national pork dish is given prominence, but since i cant eat pork, gave it a miss. Ropa Vieja another very popular cuban dish was on menu, but tasted differently in Lille than it does in Miami.
    I began with cocktail of camarones, with the yoghurt sauce and limon tasted good. then Ropa Vieja.. by this time a Pina Colada and a Mojito were had.. and some local red wine. couldnt finish the food, and they were insisting on dessert. when they saw that i liked platanos maduros, they sent a plate compliments of the house. i had a cuba libre and then Mario sent a 7 year old anejo to finish the evening.
    I am very impressed with the transparent genuineness of the father, mother and the daughter. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening there. worth the one hour TGV trip. There was a large group celebrating something or other. A singer, who looked more like a circus performer and amiable, was singing latin songs, including some cuban songs.. but even in Baracoa you coudl find better singers by the dozen.. he was no match to our Mario Luis from Baracoa! but genial and adding a bit to the atmosphere..

coctel de camarones ropa vieja camarones enchilladas mohito and pina colada.. hemingway style

Lille Hotels

Comfort Hotel Garden Lille Tourcoing
Bellevue
Moulin d'Or

Instant Answers: Lille

Comments

Lille Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Lille locals.
Map of Lille