Nantes Restaurants

La cigale
    by napparawy
    taverne de maitre kanter terraces
    by gwened
    the covered terrace of maitre kanter
    by gwened

Best Rated Restaurants in Nantes

La Cigale: Nantes' most famous restaurant

by chess_machine Updated Oct 4, 2005

La Cigale, meaning "The Cicada" refers to one of the most famous Jean de la Fontaine's poem.

For non-French, you need to know Jean de la Fontaine is one of our most famous poet (17th century). Famous for writting poems where animals are the main characters and live human situations. The end of the poem always finishes with a moral advice.

Basically, this poem tells us the Cicada is a lazy bum during summer while the Ant is hard working. And the moral issue is that the Cicada finds itself pretty bad while winter comes.

So, without philisophical consideration, "the Cicada" refers to the art of living and of enjoying daily life.

The decoration is absolutely a MUST SEE. If Nantes has not so many architecural monuments, this restaurant is a reference.

Pure art deco style. And thats why the restaurant is so famous. French famous people often go there when they go to Nantes.

The food is good but not a 3 star one. The price is quite expensive considering the food but the decoration worths it.

You can also come and have a coffee.

Favorite Dish: They do quite good duck.

But mainly coming for the magic atmosphere.

• Architecture
    • Business Travel

• chess_machine's Profile Photo

Les pieds dans le plat: Good food, cool atmosphere

by chess_machine Written Sep 13, 2006

Les Pieds dans le Plat is situated Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau, where you will find several other restaurants. To my opinon, it is one of the best restaurant in Nantes. Food is very good, great product, and nice presentation. The ambiance is cool too.

Favorite Dish: Dont remember what I took. I ordered from the menu, which shows very good quality for price ratio.

• nycwinnie's Profile Photo

Pomme D’Or: stunning dining experience

by nycwinnie Written Dec 3, 2006

Dinner was fantastic- 3 courses- couldn’t bring myself to do both frommages et desserts. However, when I go back, I will make sure not to eat ALL DAY in preparation, as it was more than worth it.

Favorite Dish: The escargot was tender and earthy without being at all dirty in a sublime cream sauce. The Lott (a local freshwater fish- what the region is known for) was fleshy and light at the same time, and le frommages. I could live on le frommages. I nearly fainted with happiness at finally getting a really good camembert. Why can’t I find a good damn camembert in the states?? Accompanied by a half bottle of Sancerre red and washed down by an espresso, I was stuffed.

Le Bouche ? Oreille: Lyons cuisine

by chess_machine Updated Dec 10, 2005

This restaurant is what we call a "bouchon", which means a typical restaurant from Lyons.

As every "bouchon", the food is heavy, made mainly with sausages and other pork food.

I have been there a long time ago so the people who own the restaurant may have changed.

Good and friendly service.

Good food (not exceptionnal but really a good price/quality of food rating).

Excellent ambience when you are with your friends. It often occurs that you finish talking with you neighbours.

Well, a great restaurant if you want to experience new meals and have a good time.

Favorite Dish: I remember the salade lyonnaise was good.

• Study Abroad

Brasserie de la Bourse: Brasserie de la Bourse

Brasserie de la Bourse

Oh, how lovely are the French people when they don’t know English! :)

We had some funny moments here, it was a morning that we were heading for the wooden elephant but we stopped here for a coffee. There are some tables outside so it was perfect on a sunny day of june. The lady came:
    -bonjour!
    -bonjour! We would like a cappuccino
    -cappuci?
    -coffee,
    -...
    -cafe
    -...

She actually said something in French so I followed here inside and she showed me some cups of coffee! I pointed out the big one and I also asked for a sandwich, she seemed she was listening a really unique new word from a place somewhere in the desert of west sahara.... a client came, he heard the dialogue and told her that we wanted a sandwich (which is actually the same word in French...)

5’ later the lady came with a tiny cup of coffee (not the one I pointed at), a big cup of coffee and a sandwich (actually a big peace of fresh bread with jam and pickles! We loughed, we ate the sandwich, we enjoyed the sun and we gave 4,5e for the coffee and the sandwich. It was time to meet the wooden elephant

La Piazza d’Italia: La Piazza d’Italia

La Piazza d���Italia

We were a group of 5 people looking for something cheap to eat, while walking near the train lines we noticed this italian restaurant and we entered inside although the view outside was really bad due to road constructions (pic 1).

There was a big room full of locals. The service was a bit slow but we didn’t really care.
    The menu was typical Italian with many salads(7,5-10,5e), pasta and other mains. There’s a great variety of pizzas of course (from 9,8e to 13,9e), we were a group of 5 people so we tried several different ones and we shared. Calzone (pic 2) was nice but cant say the same for the others especially the spicy one that was a killer for the stomach.

I was excited to check the famous crème brulee (pic 3) which was supposed to be homemade but I felt a bit disappointed from that and I missed the amazing crema catalana (they are similar anyway). They also have crème caramel, chocolat mousse, tiramisu and many more (from 4 to 6 euros)

Café cult: Half-rimbering art coffehouse

by chess_machine Updated Oct 4, 2005

Café Cult is a café. I dont know if you can eat there. Only went there once and really liked the place. It is in the Old Quarter of Nantes, le Bouffay, and its a maison in "colombages" (half-rimbering). Remember going in this quarter and been amazed by this very special architecure. To me it was like an UFO house in Nantes because of its so different architecture. Made me think of Strasbourg and Alsace, although I have never been there.

Well, the place inside is great. Modern and with art exhibitions inside. Very cozy and really its own atmosphere.

May go there back for sure.

• Architecture

• mustertal's Profile Photo

Wedd Ellis Bar: Rugby Bar.

by mustertal Updated Feb 5, 2012

The Webb Ellis Rugby bar, was a great place for the rugby fans to meet up before the World Cup. The owner made everyone very welcome, with big screens for people to watch the rugby matches being played in other parts of France..
    The bar is decorated with rugby memorabilia from all over the world.

Favorite Dish: We had some lovely Pate from the local market with lots of fresh French bread, they served all types of local food.
    They have their own label wine and lots of different beers.

Mezze

by chess_machine Written Sep 29, 2005

Mezze just opened a month ago and is a great place to discover Middle Eastern food. There you can enjoy smoking the narguile, eating mezze and arabic pastries, while sipping mint tea or great coffee. The design is modern and the staff very nice. Notice that alcohol cant be served except if you eat something during lunch or diner time.

Favorite Dish: Tried the tiramisu, which is good. Not the best I ever tried (Was in italy and in an italian restaurant in Boston), but good.

La Tartirerie: La Tartirerie

tables outside La Tartirerie

Walking around the old city (the city center anyway) were stopped here for something light to eat.

We liked the tables outside anyway, it was great spot to see the people passing by without having to pay a fortune for a coffee. This small place has some very tasty fresh sandwiches for about 3 euros but also hamburgers with frites (5,40e), Double burger ou cheese ou chicken ou bacon (4,90e), some pastries, ice cream etc

The girl that served us was very sweet too! :)

DANA: bar/brasserie DANA

bar/brasserie DANA

One evening we entered at DANA, a tiny bar/brasserie for a glass of wine.

There is some space inside, a big table at the back room (pic 3) but also some space outside, 2 tables actually (pic 2) if you don’t want to listen to music. We ended up staying there for hours drinking Saint Gustan rouge beer (3euro each) and having some great long chats.

The guy behind the bar was very friendly, there was a nice collection of beers, wines(some organic ones but we didn’t try them), and long drinks but we also loved the music at the background, there was a nice playlist on the computer from indie rock to several different genres.

It’s open Tuesday to Sunday 14.00-02.00am

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Aux delices des Nantais: kebap Aux delices des Nantais

Aux delices des Nantais

This could be a tourist trap also, while most of the eating places were closed (it was around 23.00 on a weekday) we decided to eat a kebap on this small Turkish place.

It seemed a bit dirty but nothing we havent seen before, some locals with beers were chatting at the back but the problem was that the meat seemed really bad. My friends tried some sandwiches with kebap, they all survived but according to them the taste was mediocre. I preferred to be on diet that evening :)

They gave 5 euros for each sandwich and we left the place. There were on display some other “Turkish” items like lokums and baklava but no one dared to try any :)

• Creperie Pommier Laprugne: Dont'Miss the best creperie in Nantes center

by gateau100miet Written Feb 6, 2008

A very great and familial ambiance in this french food restaurant, galettes and crepes are delicious. We feel good in this creperie near the CHU and the Commerce Place

Favorite Dish: Specialities of the chef Carole are my favorites galettes, I like the chocolate crepe too. The "pralinette" is delicious: my favorite dish!

• Women's Travel

Un coin en ville: Intimist

by chess_machine Updated Mar 22, 2007

Went twice to this restaurant recently and twice I have been very satisfied. Un coin en ville proposes great food in a nice decorated place. The decoration is very intimist so it is a great place to go with your girlfriend or your boyfriend.

Le Poussin rouge: Like in a fishermen village

by chess_machine Updated Oct 4, 2005

Went there to take a cup of coffee so I do not know if the food is actually good. Anyway, I tip this place because the design is nice and modern, the owners are nice and the location is good.

Situated in the original district of Trentemoult (read my off beaten path post, if interested), Le Poussin Rouge is a perfect place to enjoy a relaxed aperitive or diner along the Loire river.

Instant Answers: Nantes

Comments

Nantes Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nantes restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nantes sightseeing.