Albert Travel Guide

Albert Things to Do

• Just_Jenny's Profile Photo

The Somme battlefields

by Just_Jenny Updated Apr 4, 2011

Any visit to France I recommend that you make a visit here, a truly poignant place and a time for reflection.

• Museum Visits

• ELear's Profile Photo

The aeroplane and the station

by ELear Updated Sep 11, 2010

The aeroplane hanging up in the station is a pre-war Potez, I think a Potez 36 - the revolutionary design with the wings that can be folded back. It's there as a memorial to Henry Potez, the great aeroplane builder, who was born nearby (his factory was in Méaulte - it's now part of Airbus) and was at one time mayor of Albert.

The station façade is wonderful - like an ornamental orangery with a belfry. I wish I'd been able to find out more about it. I assume the original station was flattened in the first world war, and this dates from the twenties.

• Trains

• ELear's Profile Photo

The Somme battlefield sites; time and...

by ELear Updated May 26, 2010

I thought I'd put in a note about timing and prices.

I set off in a taxi (actually it was a minibus) straight after breakfast, and arrived back in time for a latish lunch. In that time I visited Pozieres, Mametz Wood, Beaumont Hamel, the Ulster Tower, Thiepval, and the Lochnagar Crater, stopping for a fair pause at Pozieres, Beaumont Hamel and Thiepval. If you want to look in more detail you could take more time, of course, but for me that was quite enough. It cost €70, which I thought reasonable. That was in January 2010.

It was arranged through the hotel, but I got the impression that prices for that sort of thing are pretty well fixed.

Albert Hotels

• Best Western Hotel Royal Picardie

Avenue du General Leclerc, Albert, Amiens, Picardy, 80300, France

Good for: Families

• Hotel de la Basilique

The Hotel de la Basilique is excellent. It doesn't have a glamorous reception area or 36" plasma TVs...

• Hotel Ibis Albert

Parc d'Activite Henri Potez, Albert, 80300, France

Good for: Solo

• Hotel de la Paix

43, rue Victor-Hugo, Albert, Albert, 80300, France

Good for: Business

Albert Transportation

• sikky's Profile Photo

My name is Albert so I just had to go...

by sikky Written Feb 25, 2009

Easiest to get here by car, or there is an irregular bus servicing the area.
    I've only added this page so I could have an excuse to add the photo of me as a 10 year ols standing by the sign for this town.

Instant Answers: Albert

Comments

Albert Travel Guide

Map of Albert