The museum with in the grounds of the chateau is to comemmorate the French-American co-operation in the American War of Independence through history to the Second World War, opened in 1931.
Unfortunately the museum was closed we we were here, but I did manage to look through a window & get this photo of French and American art work.
Closed on Tuesdays,
As it is in most French towns the town hall is in the centre. This one was quite unusual as it has an open area underneath for the market. Along with the French-American theme of the village you can can see the flag of both nations on the front of the town hall.
The Mayor in France plays more active role in the lives of the local people than here in Britain, making decisions at quite a low level, including planning consents, rights of way etc.
The village green is lined with trees, later in the afternoon it started to come alive again with people, youths on bikes, old men setting the world to rights on the benches, playing boules etc. The statue at the other end of the green is of a little mermaid boy weeing!
The Jardin du Nouveau Monde (Gardens of the New World) are two beautiful walled gardens within the old kitchen gardens of Blerancourt Chateau. We vsited in September, so although not in full bloom, still very pretty with lots of butterflies enjoying the flowers.
Entrance to the Gardens is free, open from 08:00 to 19:00 from July to October
Running along side the idea of the French American Museum, All the plants in the Jardin du Nouveau Monde are from the American continent. One Garden is planted with summer flowers, designed by Madison Cox in 1989.
The other Garden is designed for an Indian Summer Autumn, by Mark Rudkin and Michel Boulcourt in 1989.
It was quite a surprise to come across a statue of George Washington in the grounds of a French Chateau! Made in 1785, again to commemorate the French - American relationship.
In 1917 the daughter of a wealthy American, Ann Morgan, rounded up other American women in the area to help support the war torn local French, by delivering medical and social services.
This is the external gate, which would have been the main entrance to the statue. Just inside here is the shop and information office. there is plenty of free shaded parking on the outside of the walls.
It is free entrance to the gardens and chateau grounds.
All that remains of the Blerancourt Chateau built in 1612 are two "Houses of Angles" and the "Monumental Door" plus the external entrance and grounds. The chateau was very badly damaged during the French Revolution.