Chantilly Transportation

gare de Gouvieux for Chantilly
    by gwened
    Port St.-Denis (interior view)
    by hquittner

Most Recent Transportation in Chantilly

• gwened's Profile Photo

How to get in and out

by gwened Written Jun 1, 2012
    gare de Gouvieux for Chantilly

Of course the best way is by car on A1 from Paris sortie/exit Chantilly, parking by the castle to our right in the forest or in city center. Normal driving day takes about 45 minutes.

then its the train
    From Paris Gare du Nord SNCF trains takes about 24 minutes and from Chatelet-Les Halles take the RER D for 45 mins stop in station Chantilly-Gouvieux
    From the SNCF train station you can take a taxi to the castle for 8Euros or you can walk for about 22 minutes, nice.

This is the bus service in the dept OISE or 60, for your trips inside the dept,

there is a bus no 22 from Paris direction Amiens that stops in Chantilly but never taken it. The TER local train with station info for chantilly is

cheers

• Castles and Palaces
    • Trains

Beauvais Airport

by iaint Updated Jul 6, 2009

I'd used it once before, on a charter flight 20+ years ago, so I know it's small and no-where near Paris.

It was convenient for my trip to Chantilly/Senlis.

Two tips about it - the departure area is tiny, and even with just 2 flights leaving about the same time (and it has 4 gates) the seating can only cope with half the passengers. The rest stand or sit on the floor. Not ideal for anyone, but for older people or families with young children.

The check-in/arrivals area can also get congested easily. If you have time on your hands, a car and an appetite, try the MacDoh or (ideally) Buffalo Grill at the 2nd roundabout on the way into town.

Buffalo Grill is a French chain, and reliable but not fancy or expensive. US style fast and friendly service. Address is Ave Marcel Dassault, tel 03 44 48 22 28. careful, there's another one elsewhere in town

car hire

by iaint Updated Jul 6, 2009

I booked a car with Hertz (as Ryanair's travel partner). Not the ideal experience.

I had to wait in a queue for 25 minutes on arrival (early Saturday evening), whilst the sole employee struggled with those ahead of me. Then when it was my turn, she asked if I could wait 5 minutes (for some unexplained reason). One look at my face told her that was a bad idea, and service was then abrupt to put it mildly.

When I was waiting in my queue, one couple ahead of me had not booked and Hertz did not have a car for them. The other companies seemed to be closed. Book in advance!

Another guy came in complaining he had booked with one of the other companies, but the office was closed...sent on his way, needless to say.

As usual I had to sign for all the existing bumps and scrapes on the vehicle, but it was definitely the worst rented car I've ever seen. Impossible to tell if any new bumps appeared when I had it, as there were so many already. Plus it stank of cigarette smoke.

Returning was easy enough, but they haven't sent the final bill yet...

If you are looking to refill the tank before returning your car, the BP station on the airport road does not operate "all hours". I had to head into town a bit and found a 24 hour automatic place (but you have to have a credit card, obviously).

getting there

by iaint Updated Jul 6, 2009

I flew from Glasgow Prestwick to Paris Beauvais with Ryanair - £16 return including taxes etc.

Left on time and arrived early on the way out; left 10 minutes late and arrive early on the return.

Can't fault the airline at all, but see other transportation tips regarding my airport and car hire experiences.

Flight time about 1 hour 20 minutes. Beauvais to Chantilly is about 45 minutes on good roads.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Getting to Chantilly

by hquittner Written Feb 13, 2007
    Port St.-Denis (interior view)

Chantilly, although only 45 km from Paris, is not in the Ile de France, so you must take the SNCF from somewhere in the Gare du Nord to get there. It takes only 25 minutes to Chantilly-Gouvieux station. When you arrive there will be a connecting bus to Senlis (20 minutes and 10 km away) which stops after 3 km at the Porte St.-Denis, the entry to the Chateau grounds. You can walk back to town later (or wait for the bus). The walk takes about 20 minutes. Leave time to have a rest for a Charlotte a la Chantilly and a coffee before heading home. We have gone to Chantilly by car from the Loirs, leaving Chambord at noon, stopping for a fast lunch en route and arriving at 3PM, a minimal visit. After closing, we went on 10 km to a town 5 km east of Senlis (Fontaine-Chaalis) where we dined and stayed overnight before emplaning our grown children to the USA, while we remained in the area viisiting other site and continuing our travel addiction. The route is by the A10 to the Peripherique, then NE around to Porte de la Villette, then N-2 and N-17 (north). At La Chapelle en Serval, take the left fork D924A (North)(the right fork continues the N17 to Senlis). In 10 minutes you are at the Chateau, park where you can.

• Seniors

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Direct Train

by oneonta_ni Updated Nov 19, 2003

I took the train from Gare du Nord. The train is direct and it takes approximately 25 minutes to get to Chantilly. The cost was just over ý12 for an adult.

I thought the trains might leave quite frequently so I didn't get to the station until just after 11.30 am. The next train was not until 12.45 (I had to queue for 30 minutes to get a ticket) so I didn't arrive in Chantilly until after 1pm. My choice of trains to Paris were at 4.40 and 6.19 and since I wanted to be back early, I took the 4.40 train. This left me just enough time to see the museum and grab a snack at the boulangerie across the road before heading back. I am sure you can buy the tickets in advance so I would recommend this if you would like to have more time in Chantilly.

Instant Answers: Chantilly

Comments

Chantilly Transportation

Reviews and photos of Chantilly transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chantilly sightseeing.