The cloister is on the north side(left) of the church Only one gallery exists plus a chapter house and a grassy center. The stone tracery on the inner windows is quite impressive.
The nave has 5 bays and achieves its height by a 4-level elevation (which was going out of style). The tribune level is attractively decorated. The choir is as tall as the nave and has a fan-like appearance on its vaulting over the apse. There are nine chapels around the ambulatory.
Building of the cathedral started in the early 13C, about the same time as the one we had just seen in Laon.Its South tower was erected by 1220. The more attractive North tower came in the 14C. The spires were never added. The three-bayed recessed porch leading to its doors was added and buttressed and decorated in the late 13C. There are no Rose windows in this church. The area around the church is free of town clutter. Going around to the right, an ancient ruined Bishop’s chapel stands to the South near the transept and There is an elaborate chevet with nine radiating chapels. The 16C Library stand to the North (See picture with Intro).
8, , Noyon 60400, Picardy
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Families
Ourscamp Abbey is 6 km South of Noyon. The Abbey was repopulated after WWII occupying the 18C Abbot’s quarters which have a classic facade. It was a cotton factory after the Revolution. The ruins are effects of WW 1. (See other Tips under Ourscamp). It is a fine romantic adventure to see Gothic ruins.