a magnificent Church on top of a bunker of the museum of the Somme in Albert, picardie.
Notre-Dame-de-Brebières constituted one of the meccas of Marian pilgrimage in Picardy since the 11th and 12th century. At the end of the 19th century, the pilgrimage was fervor with the whole of the Marian devotion (such as La Salette and Lourdes).
Basilica Notre-Dame de Brebières was built under the leadership of Anicet Godin, curé-doyen of Albert from 1882 to 1913. It replaced the parish church, built after the fire of 1660 and completed in 1705, become too petite to accommodate the growing faithful by reason of the development of the city during the industrial revolution.
This church was built in Basilica minor by Pope Léon XIII, who called it "Lourdes of the North".
The building of the Basilica necessitated the concreting of the bed of the anchor which flows under the choir on a length of 27 meters. The elevation was carried out on the plans of the architect Edmond Duthoit from 1885 to 1897. After his death in 1889, the conduct of the work was entrusted to Henri Bernard, his principal collaborateur. The tower-porch, high 62 m, was topped by a dome with a golden statue of the Virgin, work by Albert Roze, Amiens sculptor.
In 1915, a shell hit the dome supporting the statue, which bowed but remained in a precarious and impressive balance. This event gave birth to a legend: "when the Virgin of Albert fall, the war will end" said poilus and tommies. Photography of the destroyed Basilica and its "leaning Virgin" was sent around the world by the soldiers to their families - in postcard - and contributed to global fame.
The basilica was rebuilt identically by architect Louis Duthoit, son of Edmond Duthoit, between 1927 and 1931.
A replica of the "Golden Virgin" due also to Albert Roze was re-installed during the reconstruction of the building from 1927 to 1929. The roof of the dome and the gilding of the statue was recently restored.
Just on the right side of the Basilica, is the entrance to the Musée Somme 1916
wonderful place you must see it.
beautiful info in French could be translated
another jewel of a Cathedral in France, and one to visit, a must.
work on its building begann in 1220AD, the history is long, and beautiful , too long for a writing to cover all, just visit it.
In July 1918, during the last German offensive in the West, the Cathedral fell under the fire of the German imperial troops. But at the urging of Pope Benedict XV, the Germans ceased to take the sanctuary as a target. The Cathedral was thus saved. Shortly afterwards, the German army retreated to the far, and everything returned in order.
In May 1940, during the German bombing which severely affected the city, the Cathedral was also almost miraculously spared
The towers were the last element of it to be built.The West façade portals are like that of the transept South, richly adorned with sculptures that present a theological program. The large central portal or portal of the last judgement, yet sometimes called portal of the beautiful God, is surrounded by two other smaller portals: that of the mother God, right at the South, and that of saint Firmin left
The southern portal of the Western facade, called portal of the mother-God, is dedicated to the Virgin. The tympanum, found in the lower register a series of six characters from the Old Testament, the ancestors of the Virgin. Death and assumption of the Virgin Mary are represented at the level of the middle register, and finally we are witnessing his coronation in paradise, in the superieur register.
the western rosary and the 22 statues of the gallery of Kings, not sure who they are; are marvels to see here, Wonder about its vast interiors and see beauty and history before your eyes. I leave you with some pictures and the urge to come and get more.
A wonderful museum Inside a feodal castle of fame. Great for the whole family at Peronne, dept Somme 80 , in Picardie.
In 1992, a group of enthusiasts convince the city mayor to transform a project of WWII into an international centre for research. A white concrete building was built to welcome the project within the castle where stood in 1468 the interview between Louis XI, King of France and Charles the bold, Duke of Burgundy.
The most terrible moments of the first world war include the battle of the Somme, as tragic as the battle of Verdun: from July to November 1916, she made, all nationalities taken together, more than one million deaths, injuries and of the "disappeared". The place is design to showcase man at the center of conflict, comparing the three main warring countries - Germany, France, and the United Kingdom - in areas affecting life in the front and rear.
Its museography highlights value of items and authentic documents. It compares cultural productions (industrial, craft and artistic) of societies in war through approaches cross between civilians and soldiers of the three nations of origin.
You followed a chronological order of rooms with the history such as
The central room is designed as a pivot around which revolve the other four rooms. It provides a representation of anonymous faces from before 1914 and the series of the fifty etchings Der Krieg ("war") made in 1924 by Otto Dix, artist committed voluntary and traumatized by his experience of the fire.
Room I the pre-war, the causes of the conflict
Maps and objects present Europe and its tensions before August 1914. The British empire of George V, the Germany of Wilhelm II, the Republic of Raymond Poincaré are competing for the colonies, economic opportunities as well as military and cultural spheres of influence. The museographic presentation draws a picture of pre-war companies that combine a great economic modernity in representations of the world and the war that are still those of the 19th century.
Room II's entry into the war at the battle of the Somme (1914-1916)
Uniforms and weapons are presented in ditches cut in the parquet symbolizing the life in the trenches. The rear is mentioned in windows where newspapers, daily life objects, period films illustrate the themes of societies in war. All of this room also recalls that the war was immediately world by troops around the world and in particular the colonies.
Room III of the battle of the Somme to the Armistice, the aggregation of the war (1917-1918)
This room shows the total war: the windows reveal the mobilization psychological and economic of the civilian population in the war effort. The curved line of furniture is a translation of the slow progression of time and acceleration to the German defeat and the Armistice. Ditches demonstrate the vulnerability of the soldier facing considerable efforts to develop new technologies of war.
Room IV after the war, the consequences of the conflict
This room is about the complexity of the war and its multiple effects in the short and long output, as well as the private and official commemoration. The Germany's political and economic difficulties, political threats to his defeat, as well as local reconstruction are recalled in the context of the difficult return to peace, but also attempts to find alternatives to war.
short Film in audiovisual room
The audiovisual room finally, presents a short film by 30 minutes designed by historian Laurent Veray, and devoted to the battle of the Somme (1 July 1916 - November 1916), projected on a large screen and divided into three parts. Archival footage and testimony from soldiers alternate in a confrontation of representations related to the three belligerents
another jewel of history not to be missed.
admission is 7,50€ and hours are High season (1er april to 30 november) :every day from 10h- 18h. Low season from December 1st from 9h30 to 17h . closed the wednesdays from September 15.It is close annually from Dec 16 to February 28
access from Amiens or Saint Quentin. its close to the autoroute A1 and thats how I came here from amiens by car. The TGV Haute Picardie Peronne Flamicourt leaves you close so a taxi will do.
a wonderful museum of the events of ww1 in the area of Picardie, in the Somme dept.80 north of paris. admission is 5,50€ adults and all Worth it. The museum is open
From the 1st of February through to the 30th of March 2013: 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 6pm.
From the 1st of April through to 30th of September 2013: 9am to 6pm non-stop.
From the 1st of October through to the 30th of November 2013 : 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 6pm
From the 1st of December through to the 20th of December 2013: 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm
The museum is located at the base of the Basilica, Notre Dame de Brebiere, at the heart of the town square. It is 5 minutes on foot from train station , here is the Schedule
some history on the museum
The Somme 1916 Museum is housed in an underground which served as an air raid shelter for the population during World War II to ten metres deep and over a length of 230 m. sound input is located to the right of the Basilica Notre-Dame de Brebières.
Late 1991,the Somme 1916 Association is created , a team supervised an insertion site who undertook the work of rehabilitation and compliance of an existing underground. The Museum opened its doors on July 1, 1992.
Collections to see. This underground Museum located 10 meters below ground consists of fifteen alcoves (or "shelters"), share and more a gallery of 250 meters long. In the Gallery, arms and military equipment are displayed in showcases, as well as posters, newspaper articles and photos. In the alcoves reconstructed the everyday life of the soldiers in the trenches during the Franco-British offensive of 1916. The explanatory signs are written in German, English, French and Dutch.
scenes of trenches (German, Australian, British, Canadian or French)
scene for rest and entertainment of soldiers
scene of attack (at the exit of the underground), during the battle of the Somme.
To complete the visit, the heroes Gallery traces the course of some characters who have distinguished themselves during the battle of the Somme:
Paul Hannecart, a hairy.
Lucien Laby, French physician, author of a newspaper war, the notebooks of the aspiring Laby, written hot and not subsequently reworked. It reflects the cruelty of the great war and the violence of the clashes, from the Marne to the Chemin des Dames, through Verdun and the Somme.
Berthe Mouchette, French painter and art teacher
Marcelle Senner, French nurse.
Also, see projection of documentaries on the great war. Animation on the equipment of the soldier at the front. The exit of the Museum, provides access to the public garden where flows the anchor under the remains of the ramparts of the town of Albert.
a memorable place indeed.
This is a wonderful park for the young,and pleny of rides for all. It is on the theme of the Gauls of France,and it is a much better attraction park to bring in your kids to introduce them to the French way of life than any others in the Paris near region.
The park is in dept Oise or 60 at 60128 Plailly as The group CDA Parks now owned it as well France Minituare, La Mer de Sable, Musée Grevin ,and Parcs Walibi. NOT in ile de France but so close to the activities of it that I have included the tip here.
You entered thru the via Antiqua, this street has several shops and restos as well as the market or grande marché de Lutétia, with gaullish galleries, bonbon palais, chez Rahazade, Numérobis, Gravédanlonix, and le bon légionnaire
Later you come into the section Roman Empire, with Romus and Rapidus (fast river ride with big waves ), then the Espions de César (monorail in small vehicules for pedaling), Le Carrousel de César( theme carrousel with the main personages of the comics book), the petit train,le Défi de César (mad house),and the La Légion recrute (funny spectacles)
Continue with old Greece or Antique Gréce, with rides such as Le Cheval de Troie( flying carpets), Le Vol d’Icare( roller coaster with themes from the fall of the son of Dédale), La Rivière d'Élis (travel in small floats in the typical Greek gardens), L'Hydre de Lerne( ride like an octopus) ,Tonerre de Zeus (roller coaster in wood at 33 meters high,and speeds of 80 K:ph), and the Théâtre de Poséidon (shows spectacles).
The Vikings area around the big lake, with attractions such as La Galère (boat rides),
L’Escadrille des As ( small planes rides),Le Mini-Carrousel( little kiddies carrousel),
Les Petits Drakkars ( small boats for little ones), Les Petites Chaises volantes ( wild chairs rides for kiddies) , Goudurix (roller coaster in metal structures) ,it had the European record now overclassed by the Dragon Khan de PortAventura.
A travers le temps (old rue de Paris) in times you see the attractions, Transdemonium ( fantom train with motif of the year 1000 ), Les Chevaux du Roy (carrousel of medieval themes) , Nationale 7 ( a circuit of the country side reminicent of the blue route), Les Chaises volantes ( flying chairs for the older kids) , L'Oxygénarium (a descend in floats in a huge toboggan), on the base of the Joconde, spectacles in cascades with a pursuit of robbers and police with effects pyrotechniques
The ex La Gaule ,now is a rebuilt village of Asterix as it is shown in the cartoons editions and movies; attractions here includes ,Épidemaïs Croisières (small boat circuit doing the tour of village seeing the main personages of the story. La Forêt des druides ( area of playground for kids with toboggans, magic cave, Les Chaudrons ( big cups with burners) ,
Menhir Express ( a plume in movement in the forest that finish with a big descend of 13 meters); La Trace du Hourra ( roller coasters at 900 meters descend with a speed of 60 k:ph); Le Grand Splatch ( aquatic circuits around a big rock of Astérix finishing by a big descend) ; La Ronde des Rondins ( roller coaster for the juniors encircling about 60 meters) ;La Petite Tempête ( music express), Les Petits Chars Tamponneurs ( drums cars) etc
New attraction since 2012 is Egypt, with two main attractions such as OzIris (roller coasters inverse including five turns and a passage under a cave after a rise of 40 meters.
SOS Numérobis (roller coaster juniors of a lenght of 200 meters now call the Trans'Arverne, around the "Place de Gergovie" now renamed Périférix.
you come here from the Louvre, read here
or from T2 CDG terminal at Roissy CDG stop or 'arrêt "Aéroport Charles De Gaulle Terminal 1, Terminal 3". Go to counters « Parcs de Loisirs » and you will be directed to the navettes bus ASTÉRIX for 7,50€ adults, departs every 30 minutes from 9h
Beauvais is famous for its impressive cathedral but is also a town where there is plenty to do. From visiting one of the many historic monuments or museums, going out for a drink or a meal, looking for entertainment or shopping, Beauvais has it all. It is located south of Amiens and 41 miles north of Paris. It is on both the Autoroute du Nord and Route National 1
See My Travel Page for more information.
a wonderful house where the great futurist Jules Verne lived, and you can climb the 3 floors of it, plus enjoy the wonderful garden. A nice way to see the 20000 leagues under the sea, and others right before your eyes, great for the entire family
Open April 15 to October 14, and open every day
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10h – 12h30 and 14h-18h30
Saturdays and Sundays from 11h-18h30
Tuesdays from 14h-18h30
October 15 to April 14
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10h – 12h30 and 14h-18h
Saturdays and Sundays from 14h-18h
Closed on Tuesdays
Admission is 4€,
one of the small houses making excellent champagne, a must to see just to see this wonderful property, warm welcome, very well guide it, and great tastings. We were even given a meal in the cellars that has 11 kms of it all wonderfully done, you must see it
visit by appointments so call ahead
The most important site to visit in Picardie is the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Amiens (pop.136K). The church is considered tobe the most ideal expression of the early Gothic style (benefitting from the imperfections arising in cathedrals of Beauvais, Chartres and Reims which preceded it). It is the largest Gothic Cathedral in France (in square and cubic areas), even thoug the cathedral in Beauvais is taller (48,2 m vs 42). Besides the church this city has a good Art Museum , local cuisine and is a nice town in which to wander (and it has a zoo).
The Cathedral stands at the top of this French hilltown which is partly walled and has fine views of the countryside. It is part Romanesque and Early Gothic and has one of the most pleasing appearances. The sturdy west towers have large oxen peering out (seen best with binocular). Among the earliest Rose windows grace the Eat and West ends and the transepts. (See Our Tips)
It seems that most tourists these days encounter Beauvais only as they pass through it going to or from its airport at Tille. They are only interested in Paris. Yet it would be easy (and much cheaper) to incorporate Beauvais (and much of Picardie) into such a trip to France. Here is the grandeur of the tallest Gothic Cathedral in the world (St.-Pierre), a Michelin 3* site! As we found, there is much more in Beauvais. (See our Tips). Many travelers ask about how to see a little of the real France on their (2-5th) trips to Paris and nobody seems to suggest this neat way to combine a cheap flight with a different approach. Instead of “nightlife”, substitute good local evening meals. There is a minibus from the airport that makes stops at all the inexpensive hotels around the city. There are a dozen trains to the Gare du Nord in Paris from the station near St.-Etienne (another church which should be visited in Beauvais).
On our way west from Laon, we stopped at the ruins of Ourscamp Abbey 6 km south of Noyon and then briefly stopped at Noyon as well walking around the entire structure, noting the excellent chevet, a ruined ancient Bishop’s Chapel and a 16C unusual wooden two storied library.
Picardie has other sites to visit other than intriguing cathedrals, namely chateaux and castle-ruins. They can be incorporated as part day visits, all accessible by car. The ruins of the Chateau de Coucy is the greatest 13C structure, not like the luxury site of Compiegne or the imaginatively reconstructed Pierrefonds. Although le Duc also worked at Coucy he did not alter it. The 19C Romantics loved it and Parisians made day-trips here by train at that time. It is near Laon, Soissons, Noyon and Compiegne.
The chateau houses the Jacquemart-Andre Museum of Art similar to its relative in Paris (a "residence of a collector"). The Abbey and the grounds present their own revelations. We have written about it all in our pages under Fontaine-Chaalis, the nearest town.
What you should definitely do when you're in Picardie is just take the car (or bicycle) and a good map and just drive around. Try to find the small roads and enjoy all the views you will definitely come across. I seem to have forgotten to take pictures of the views we saw, but we also stopped a couple of times to have some 'quality time' with some horses. :-) Or to take a picture of a stork for instance.
So just drive around on the small roads, you won't regret it. (Don't be mistaken by my pictures, there are lots of forests or small woods in the region also)
Great view!!! Wonderful view of the Cathedral from right out your room window! Nice quiet location,...more
214 rue des Moulins, Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, 80230, France
Good for: Business
Route de Plailly, La Chapelle-en-Serval, Picardy, 60520, France
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Couples