Vic-sur-Aisne Travel Guide

by neilward
    Chateau Vic-sur-Aisne
    by freya_heaven

Vic-sur-Aisne Things to Do

• Splashing about on the water

At one with nature,it cost 2 Euros each for about 30 minutes of canoeing.Well worth it,especially as the ducks are very nosey and want to see whats going on !!!

• Chateau Gardens

The Chateau gardens here are very enchanting. Designed by the Abbot Pomponne, in the 18th century in the style of a formal French garden. There were some lovely suprises as you walked around some of the 5ha of woodland and gardens.

• River Aisne

The River Aisne runs through the town. You have to cross over the Aisne to enter the town. This area is quite industial, with the river at one time being an important part of the transport system. The photo shows a wear and to the left was a lock.The River Aisne is roughly 266 km long, the source being in the Argonne Forest flowing in to the River...

• Chateau Vic-sur-Aisne

The small but attractive chateau of Vic Sur Aisne is in the centre of the town. Once inside the grounds you walk past the keep and moat to be faced with this very attrative building which over looks the wonderful formal chateau gardens from the large terrace.We could not visit the inside of actual Chateau only the Keep. It is my understanding this...

• Church

The Catholic church in Vic Sur Aisne dates back to the 17th century, the ancient font used for baptisms is centurys older.

• Vic Sur Aisne

The actual town of Vic Sur Aisne is very quaint, There are typical French shops, 2 boulangerie, tabac, bank with cash machine etc. The whole town is built in light stone, with a very uniform feel to it. One Sunday morning they had a huge car boot sale and the main street was shut off, quite a community feel here.

Vic-sur-Aisne Restaurants

• Excellent All Round

Think 1970's, think chintz and old fashioned France Now think home cooked food actually cooked almost in front of youThink tasty food, cooked by the proprietors wife.Almost like sitting in your lounge with strangers invited in as well. The atmosphere is fabulous, the owner is friendly and very French and whilst the whole restaurant needs some...

• Taste of France

Classic French eaterie,with lovely smells eminating from the kitchen area.I tried snails in 1985,so I didnt feel the need to have another one !!!!!!!!!!!!But James,(9 year old),wanted to try them..He did,he ate 4.So Gemma,(12 year old going on 45) decided not to be outdone,so she had 2 !!!! L`escargo ...Well after the kids efforts ,it had to be...

• Vic-sur-Aisne Hotels

0 Hotels in Vic-sur-Aisne

Vic-sur-Aisne Transportation

• Keycamp-reveller's Profile Photo

by Keycamp-reveller Updated Mar 17, 2010

There aren't any!

Maybe 4 buses a day into La Fabrique with many more on the (2/3 miles away) main road, but if you are looking to use bus or train travel to get around and about this area, I'm afraid you won't be able to

Nearest train st is Villers Coterets although of course, Soisson and Compiegne are 10k in either direction but a taxi to and from site is going to cost at least €60 each way

You need a car, pure and simple unless you will be staying on site and not going anywhere other than Paris and DLP - there are coach trips to both places from the site itself run by the site themselves

• Trains

Vic-sur-Aisne Local Customs

• Not a tent for Maria !!!!

Maria doesn`t seem to like being at one with nature...Prowling the caravan for ants and other small insects !!!!!!!!I think she prefers the hotel type of holiday..Oh well...We`ll have to go away again then !!!!!!

• Get the chops on dad !!!

When in Rome do as The Romans do,here we are BBQing..Again.Well its what you do when you`re camping.Lots of decent food and a few french beers certainly help to mantain the holiday spirit.....

• Stepped Roofs

I have not noticed this style of roof in other areas of France I have visited. The gable ends of the roofs were stepped, as if to make easy access to the ridge. I didnt actually find it particularly attractive, just different.

Vic-sur-Aisne Warnings and Dangers

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Cloud Factories!

by freya_heaven Written Oct 31, 2004

After we have been here for a few days we started to notice an occassional unpleasent smell, (it reminded me of old uncooked frozen chips!).

The factories in the area always seemed to have lorry loads of beets/swede being delivered, which would coincide with the type of smell it was. We assumed some sort of animal feed was being produced here. I think the smell depended on the wind direction too.

On the plus side, Freya thought it was very exciting to have found where clouds are made! (~_~)

Vic-sur-Aisne Favorites

• Faux Chateau!

We arrived at the town of Vic Sur Aisne very late at night, obviously very dark and also quite foggy. We knew the town had its own Chateau, which was something we were looking out for to know we were on the right road to the Campsite. Driving in to the town we went past a huge building which Derek insisted was the Chateau we had been looking for....

• Chateau Gardens

We visited the Chateau and Gardens at the end of the last day of our holiday. I am so glad we did, The gardens particularly are well worth a visit.I love walking though woodland & out of the corner of my eye spying a half hidden statue or folly. The older & more in disrepair the better. Gorgeous!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Vic-sur-Aisne? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Vic-sur-Aisne

Comments

Explore Deeper into Vic-sur-Aisne
Reminders of Death