Angoulême Travel Guide

by fabrice
  • Favorites
    by fabrice

Angoulême Things to Do

• most famous paint on wall

the drawer is Yslaire"memoire du XX siecle"Angouleme is famous for his international festival of "bande dessinee"

• another street

that photo was taken in the center of the town, where there are a lot of restaurant.there's a special atmosphear when the night comes :)

• Cartoons in the city

The museum in Angouleme (CNBDI) is about the 9th Art: comics. So it's fun to go and learn about all your childhood heroes, but there are some good comic books for adults too! You should then come along in January as the whole town will be celebrating the International Festival of the Comics. Lot's of animations!

Angoulême Hotels

Satisfaction: Very Good

Good for: Couples

Angoulême Restaurants

• Excellant Restaurant

Lovely restaurant with great food, nice decor and lots of space.A favourite of ours and of my parents who visit here often. Everything that I've had here has been good.We often have the oysters and the fish soup (not at the same time!) - yum!And I always enjoy the 'Cafe Gourmond' - which is a small coffee and three tiny deserts - perfect!

• Don't miss the Red Fruit sorbet and...

In the heart of the old town, cozy and delicious, it's simple but good quality. it's Italian, of course there are some good French restaurants around like "la Cigogne" but it's a little out of town perched on a hill near a cave, decent and fascinating decor! I just like to eat simple spaguetti with pesto, they do these simple dishes to a marvel,...

• Le Vieux Angouleme

Le Vieux Anglouleme (Old Angouleme) is a collection of small, cobbled streets, close to the centre of town, and it's here that some of the Angouleme's best restaurants are found.

Angoulême Nightlife

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Written Feb 5, 2003

I had been warned about Sophie & Severine. Maurice, the guy who helped me find a job here, told me to look out for two French girls, who loved Ireland and who liked nothing better than to hang out in an Irish bar and try to meet some real Irish. Interesting I thought....

On my second night in Angouleme, I was sitting at the bar when two girls sat down beside me and asked me who I was & where I was from (apperently I didn't have the look of a regular). 'You must be Sophie & Severine' I said. Still feeling the effects of the previous night's drinking all I wanted was a quiet night by the bar. But the girls were having none of it. That night, they brought me to their favourite night-club in Angouleme - I think it's called 'Le Living Room' and it went on until 6am.

From then on, every Saturday, the girls would try to persuade me to go there with them. I'm not a huge nightclub fan, particularly after working from 5pm until 3 am, but what guy can refuse the pleading of two French girls.

Angoulême Transportation

• all is possible

all is possible to visit angoulemesi came by car, cause i live very closebut you have on this view the railways possibilities

• TGV

I took the TGV train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Angouleme. The TGV is one of the fastest and most efficiant trains I've been on, and the journey took less than 3 hours. Fares can be expensive, but there are some savings if you book in advance.I was seated next to a really cute girl and I remember thinking it would be a good idea to strike...

• Angoulême Hotels

21 Hotels in Angoulême

Angoulême Shopping

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo

by lorgnierl Written Jul 30, 2003

not a shop but Herge street (yes Herge , Tintin s father !)
    very pleasant and pedestrian street with a lot of shops

Angoulême Local Customs

• Smokers

I don't think it was for health reasons that the French drank so little. Often the customers who drank only half a pint would smoke an entire pack of cigarettes. I often had to clean out their ash trays twice in an evening and I've never seen people smoke more than some of our customers.

• Mine's a half

It was a new experience for me to observe people coming in to a bar and only drinking a half-pint in an entire evening. In Ireland, you get suspicious looks if you ask for a half, and most people manage about 5-6 pints before closing time (11 pm at that time - its now 12 or later). In France, it's very different. Our pub was open until 2am most...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Angoulême? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Angoulême Warnings and Dangers

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Written Jan 31, 2003

I guess this warning could apply to anywhere but I'll always associate mixing beer, tequila, wine, and more with my time in Angouleme. I had the worst hangover I care to remember (and there have been quite a few) on Bastille Day '98. I was given the evening off work so arranged to meet up with two friends, Richard & Nina.
    Richard had the bulk and drink tolerance of a Rugby prop so my first mistake was trying to match him. The second mistake was mixing all the aforementioned drinks (especially the Tequila - a six shot Rapido!). I was supposed to work the following day too!

• Beer Tasting

Angoulême Off The Beaten Path

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo

by lorgnierl Updated Jul 30, 2003

Angoulemes is the city of caroons, one time a year there is a fair about this
    and when you walk in the streets, you can find some draws on the walls, on the roofs, ....

this one is just at the entrance of the tourism office, i passed half an hour to find it, so go to the market place,

• Architecture

Angoulême Favorites

• Friends

Working in a pub proved to be a great way to meet people, and I made new friends from all over the world. The World Cup was on in France that summer, which ensured a big influx of tourists.

• World Cup '98

We had some fantastic days in the pub during the '98 World Cup. I have been a football fan for as long as I can remember and to be in the actual host country for the duration of the competition was great crack.Angouleme did not host any matches but the Scots were playing down in Bordeaux and quite a few of their supporters dropped in. Lionel, the...

• Co-workers

I didn't like my boss too much but everyone else in the pub was very nice. Lionel was the head barman and a great guy to work with. He worked about 70 hours per week and seemed to live on espressos and cigarettes. Annabel was a waitress in the restaurant, Battiste was our chef, and Alex was a temporary barman.

Instant Answers: Angoulême

Comments

Explore Deeper into Angoulême
St Peter Cathedral