Aix-en-Provence Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Bistrot des philosophes: Forum Cardeurs

by Roadquill Written Nov 14, 2011

Lined up along Forum Cardeurs, the Bistrot des Philosphes was recommended by the proprieter of the B&B. Very convenient. The restaurant is nicely decorated, service was good, and the menu interesting. I opted for the pork medallions with tapenade. A cup of polenta, and a glass of wine. Finished off with some Ricard.

• Photography

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

La Plancha: Classic / Moderne Cuisine

by Roadquill Written Nov 10, 2011

Located in the restaurant laden Forum des Cardeurs, La Plancha features a modern cuisine. I dined in the outside covered patio, which with heaters was very comfortable on a cool, slightly damp evening. I started with a 50 cl bottlle of Revellet, a warm cheese plate, the the duck with a vegetable mousse, and small salad. The finished it off with a dessert sampler and cafe. An excellent feast following a day of travels.

• Photography

• Delhi Delice: Authentic Indian food in Aix

by oceanhead Written Jul 9, 2011

A small restaurant, family run with authentic Indian taste. We stumbled upon this while in Aix and the chef impressed us very much. The fish dishes with subtle mustard flavour is a delight. We were also impressed to learn that they made the Indian cheese in the restaurant using local ingredients.

The wine are in different ranges. We chose the expensive one from a local vineyard and it went well with the spicy food. (I have forgotten the name now!).

Anyway a good experience overall.

Favorite Dish: The fish dishes are nice.

• Castles and Palaces

Trattoria Chez Antoine: The Tiramisu Was To Die For

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chez Antoine, Aix-en-Provence, 2006

UPDATE 1/29/06

I went to Chez Antoine this week on a return trip after a number of years and the original owners had sold the place 6 years ago and a hip young group seemed to be running it. I had the lasagna which was quite good, but not superbe. I did not have the tiramisu. The waiter said that it is better than what the old owners served. I may try it before I leave, but then I may rather just have the memory of the "tiramusu to die for".

This is still a very charming, tiny restaurant and very popular.

Favorite Dish: This was my absolute favorite restaurant in Aix-en-Provence when I lived in Aix in 1994-96.
    I had loved everything that I ate there, but the tiramisu was the best, even better than any that I had eaten in Italy. I can't say that now with the new owners. I haven't had the courage to try it.

• Singles

• L'Eclipse: Best poulet frites EVER!!!!!

by bisouhead Updated Sep 11, 2010

O.K - this is kind of fast food, but not like "Quick" or "McDonalds." It's kind of a street vendor also- but not exactly. I mean you can eat there - they have some tables outside - but the inside is very small - so I would always just get my sandwich to go. The guys who run the place are from North Africa and they have been the same guys there FOREVER. I lived in Aix in 1995 and 1996 while studying there and a friend of mine introduced me to the place. I still dream about the sandwiches to this day!

Favorite Dish: The poulet frites - rotisserie chicken, cooked up on the grill on the spot, with hot, freshly made french fries - is my FAVORITE sandwich. I order it EVERYTIME I go and I could seriously eat it everyday of my life and NEVER get sick of it!! They cook the rotisserie chicken, and the French fries right in front of you and they put it on like a demi- baguette (a smaller sized sort of half baguette). I always put ketchup on mine - but there's this sauce blanche(white sauce) that you can get on it too that's to die for! Then they put the chicken and th french fries right on top. They wrap it up in white paper and give it to you hot. It takes like 5-10 minutes max for the whole process and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it! I have never ever had a better sandwich in my life!

CAPRI LA SUITE: Good Italian By Owners Of Pizza Stand

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 3, 2010

CAPRI LA SUITE, Aix-en-Provence

Very pretty non Provencal decor. Presentation was very nouvelle. Manager and daughter-in-law, Melanie, was extremely friendly. Food was very good. There was an adorable toy Yorkie assigned to clean up all the crumbs on the floor. He was very efficient.

Tell Melanie that you read about her on VT.

Favorite Dish: Ordered lasagna. It was very good. The tiramisu was excellent.

• AixPresso: AixPresso Experience

by VirtualErik Written Jul 5, 2008

AixPresso, located right on the Plaza of the Hotel de Ville, gives a modern impression. Chairs and tables have a modern, comfortable outline. They serve the meals/snacks as well as drinks. Our experience was -however- mixed. The waiter took very long to notice us and two neighboring tables, but quickly picked up a conversation obviously with a friend who checked the table about 10mins after we and the neighboring couple had taken our seats. Clearly, they were to order first...
    Well - seating was nice and the weather beautiful. Asking for a cafe and a capuccino resulted in a good expresso, but a horrible capuccino experience. You know what you get when you mix a US office coffee with water diluted milk ? Right, exactly the "capuccino" I got. No cream, no rich taste.
    Sigh, I left after two sips, paying 4.50 for the expresso and the "capuccino".
    Suggesting to check out the brasserie to their right "la mus"....

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Patacrepe: Good place for a meal.

by alectrevor Written Mar 12, 2008

Patacrepe restaurant

The restaurant has outside covered area, inside downstairs and an upstairs areas. The staff are friendly and atentive. I had a starter, main coarse, dessert, bottle water and glass of beer cost 22 euro.

• Yoji: Avoid this restaurant

by lslater Written Aug 27, 2007

My wife and I arrived without a reservation and were told that it was unlikely we would be able to eat here as the wait was likely to be considerable. We had never eaten Japanese food before and had been looking forward to this evening and so we decided to wait. When it became clear that we were not leaving we were seated almost immediately. We explained to the waitress that we were new to Japanese food and needed her help. She suggested a "mêlée" which we understood would be a selection of different items which she initially said was for two but then went on to ask if we would like one each. After checking with her that this was reasonable we opted for one each. A completely disinterested waiter served us two absurdely large plates of raw fish, soy sauce, plain rice and sliced ginger. We both have a great appetites but were not able to eat half of what was served and had to send them back uneaten. This was such an inappropriate recommendation for 2 newcomers to Japanese food and we were very unhappy at receiving a bill for 94 euros (over £30 per plate of fish).

Favorite Dish: Raw fish? Not really. We had rather hoped to get a varied selection of Japanese cuisine, not a protein overdose of Sushi. One of the plates we were served would have made a plentiful dish for four people. We were unable to explain this to the waitress and so asked for the Maitre D' who came to our table. She understood exactly what had happened and was in no doubt that we were unhappy. Any half-decent restauranteur who had the slightest notion of the meaning of service would have offered not to charge for the second plate, or would at least tried to make some peace (even a complementary glass of wine would have been some sort of gesture) but not this madame! Apart from saying "I am sorry for you" she made not one jot of compromise. We left feeling that we had been advised and fed quite inappropriatley, served with disinterest ... and completely ripped off to boot.

• Luxury Travel

• La Salle A Manger: Best place to eat in Aix en Provence

by Rookb1 Updated Jun 13, 2007

Very Romantic and great wine selection

Quite a few of the restaurants in Aix are a little pricey and provide rather mediocre food. This place is really reasonably priced and the food and wine are great.

OK so it does have part of a car over the door, but they had some mellow music, soft lighting and a really great atmosphere. Plus the staff were really nice and really knew the food.

The address is La Salle a Manger, 4 rue Isolette, 13100 Aix en Provence. Tel: 04 42 38 06 23

Basically it is just on a small side street from the main pedestrianised route from the place du general de gaulle with the big fountain.

A lot of people will say that the nice restaurants are along the cours mirabeau, but in my opinion you pay a lot for what you get, so just take a walk away from the cours mirabeau towards rue espariat and find rue Isolette off of this. The restaurant is smaller and more romantic and just as good if not better than those on Cours Mirabeau and about half the price.

Favorite Dish: I visited twice in a weekend and everything was really good.

Flunch: Budget Food, Cafeteria Style

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 7, 2007

Don't ask me why, but I find the name of this restaurant annoying, so it was a long time before I tried it. It is on the other side of the Rotonde so it is a bit off the beaten track. The place seems pretty clean and it has a huge selection of food. It is not bad either. Certainly, better than Quick, the French equivalent to MacDonalds, which is on the Cours. I believe that you can eat their at anytime of the day, at least coffee and something light.

Café de Paris: New Name: Cafe du Roi Rene

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 7, 2007

The Two Ex  Mrs. Os at Cafe de Paris

UPDATE 1/29/06

Cafe de Paris no longer exists. It has been taken over by a very upscale and pretty restaurant which is called Cafe du Roi Rene.

ORIGINAL POSTING

Although during the day, I prefer Le Grillon and Les Deux Garcons, at night after dinner this place seemed more festive and cozy. I don't recall that the food was anything special, but to meet a group of friends or your former husband's second ex wife for drinks, it's a great place.

• Seniors

Pizza Capri, Vente a Emporter: Delicious Pizza

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Aug 7, 2006

Pizza Capri, Aix-en-Provence, 2006

This is just a little stand next to Les Deux Garcon on the side. It has been there for years. You can buy the pizza by the slice and it is unlike any other pizza that I have eaten. Needless to say I think it is delicious. There is also another stand at Place Richelme as well as their new restaurant Capri La Suite.

• Seniors

Le Grillon: Another Great People Watching Place

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 19, 2006

Le Grillon

Alot of the students like this place, but older people feel comfortable there, as well. At the time I was there, they served a great steak tartare.

Downstairs has a kind of bistro look, but upstairs is more formal and elegant.

Since le grillon means cricket you will see the large crickets lighting at the top or the walls.

Monday - Sunday 07:30 - 02:00

Favorite Dish: Steak tartare and sandwiches.

• kimigirl's Profile Photo

Chez Maxime: Chez Maxime was a great experience

by kimigirl Updated Jul 5, 2006

Chez Maxime was a great meal. Our waiter was kind and helpful. The food was delicious. We sat outdors and enjoyed our first night there in leisure. We had the menu maxime au feu de bois for 31.10 euros. We got to select a lot of things off of a list and everything was perfect. We both started with la cassoulet d'escargots aux cepes, which was prepared unlike we had ever had escargots. It was in a creamy, saucy, delicious casserole. Next, we both had pote de boeuf. I had sauce au roquefort, whic was delicious, and my husband had a bowl of truffle sauce to dip each piece of beef in, which was also great. I then had profiteroles, which were good, and my husband had creme brulee, which had an herb flavor that was very subtle and nice. We had a bottle of red wine that was made in Aix en Provence, for 28 euros, and that went well with the meal. We finished with some drink that was made up of alcohol de fruit, herbes de provence, and anise. It was tasty also.

Favorite Dish: Definitely try the cassouletd'escargots. Super rich and delicious. You'll want to eat all the sauce with your bread.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Aix-en-Provence

Comments

Aix-en-Provence Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Aix-en-Provence restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aix-en-Provence sightseeing.

View all Aix-en-Provence hotels