Aix-en-Provence Shopping

by Roadquill

Best Rated Shopping in Aix-en-Provence

The Markets: Shopping Like the Aixoise

The Market on The Cours Mirabeau 1994

As in almost all European cities, there are wonderful street markets.

FOOD MARKET
    Place des Prêcheurs : Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday.
    Place de la Madeleine : Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday.
    Place Richelme : every day.

FLOWER MARKET
    Place de la Mairie : Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday.
    Place des Prêcheurs : Monday,Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

ANTIQUES AND FLEA MARKET
    Place de Verdun : Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday.
    Place Jeanne d’Arc :
    • - Antiques days and flea market
    • - Flea market days : very last Monday of the month except in July,November and December.

OLD AND SECOND HAND BOOKSTALLS
    Every 1st Sunday of the month at the City Hall Square.

PROVENCAL MARKET
    WITH MATERIAL AND CLOTHING ITEMS
    Place Verdun and Place Monclar : Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday.

What to buy: Clothing, Provencal fabrics, tableclothes, knick knacks, books, antiques, dry goods, fruits, vegetable, meats, fish, olives, olive oil, spices.

Flower Market: Take Time To Smell The Flowers

by ForestqueenNYC Written Mar 6, 2005

Among the Flowers

This is a beautiful display of flowers. It is worth walking back here just to look and smell, if not to buy. I prefer the market at Place de l'Hotel de Ville

Everyday from 9am to 12:30

Place de l'Hôtel de Ville and Place des Prêcheurs

The website below will give you all the information you need.

What to buy: Flowers

Bread at the market

by skydivefred Written Jan 1, 2004

Ok now I am very serious about this !!
    Bread is sacred in France. But very good bread has become very rare.
    I buy my bread at the market of Aix en provence ONLY and store it in the freezer.
    If you go to the market you MUST try some of the Olive bread and the Chestnut bread.
    The baker is situated not far from the café la Madeleine. He is an Algerian and his name is OMAR. Try to make an effort to find him, his bread is really excellent.

What to pay: Bread : about 5€ / kg

La boutique Tintin: For TINTIN fans

by skydivefred Updated Jan 1, 2004

There are very few of Tintin Shops. Aix en provence has got one. You can find all kinds of items such as clothes, essay books about Hergé's work, Tintin scenes re-created in 3D, stationary, etc...

What to pay: Unfortunately , apart for the post cards, it is quite an expensive shop.

Bechard: Calissons d'Aix

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 19, 2006

The window display will lure you into this famous patisserie. The specialty are the Callisons d'Aix which are a delicious cross between a candy and a cake made from ground almonds, preserved melon and fruit syrup. There are other wonderful delites that will tempt you, such as chocolates and pastries. All pastries are freshly made daily.

What to buy: Try the callisons d'Aix.

Monoprix: Shopping Like the Americans

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Mar 6, 2005

The Prettiest Monoprix in France, Aix-en-Provence

Monoprix reminds me of Penney's only it has a grocery store downstairs. I did most of my grocery shopping there. Upstairs,I found hats,scarves,cosmetics and handbags to be my items of choice.

What to buy: Downstairs: food items.

Upstairs: clothing,cosmetics, bakery goods.

Since it has been 6 years that I have been there, please feel free to update me if there have been any changes.

What to pay: Average prices.

Shopping streets

by skydivefred Written Jan 1, 2004

The picture here gives a few of the numerous streets where you can shop. As a matter of fact, the whole historical centre of the city holds hundreds of shops of all kinds. From provencal fabrics or earthenware to expensive brand clothes.

What to pay: Aix en provence is a very expensive town. Many shops are "prestigious" for cosmetics or women clothes for instance. So don't expect to make deals there. You will find some really nice items though.

• thibeaux's Profile Photo

Bechard's: best truffles ever...

by thibeaux Written Apr 20, 2007

Bechard's is the oldest bakery in Aix-en-Provence. They have an unbelievable assortment of sweets and honestly, I could easily spend every bit of money I have there happily. Aix is known for their "calissons." Calissons are made of ground almonds, preserved melons and orange rind surrounded by a wafer and covered in icing. They are sinfully delicious and the best I tasted were from Bechard. But what makes Bechard so special to me are their truffles. I originally bought several small bags as gifts for friends. But, then I tasted them and...well, I ate them all (oops). The shop itself if small and gorgeous. The staff were incredibly friendly and beyond patient with my not-quite French.

Honestly, whenever I learn of anyone going to France, I see if they can stop at Bechard for me. I am that addicted to their truffles.

What to pay: I don't remember exact prices, but I travel on a budget and don't recall being put out at their prices. The truffles are worth their weight in gold.

Compact club: La musique

by rickyvilla81 Written Mar 5, 2003

Cds, DVDs, this is where I used to come ALL THE TIME. they have most of the new titles in by artists from around the world, not just France, and they have a great second hand section downstairs, where I picked up many a rare CD that I had hitherto not yet found even in London.

Book-in-bar, Librairie de Provence, Goulard...: Books, books, books

by rickyvilla81 Written Nov 19, 2002

Being a student town, and a former home of Zola and others, Aix is a great place to get books. In the Place de l'Hotel de Ville there is a book market every other week on Sundays. Second-hand books can also be picked up at a place in Rue des Tanneurs (I forget the name).
    But for first hand books, I don't think they come much better than Goulard. With two entrances (one on cours Mirabeau, next to Quick), this shop is a lot bigger than it seems from the outside. Foreign language books can be found, and all the travel books - of which there are plenty - are downstairs.
    Just down Mirabeau is the Librairie de Provence, not as neat as the Goulard, and with more magazines and BDs.
    For anglophone books, the best place is Book-in-Bar, a small cafe-cum-bookshop on Rue Joseph Cabassols. It is friendly, has some second-hand books, hosts events, has a WC, and customers can play a game of chess, if they desire.
    And for more English (or even German) books, go to Paradox, at Rue du 4 Septembre, in the heart of the Quartier Mazarin.

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

Discount Photo: Where to develop photos?

by rickyvilla81 Written Nov 19, 2002

So you have film you must develop, but most places are expensive, right? And to get doubles is a load of money better spent on a meal, right?
    Go to Discount Photo, on rue Espariat. I went there almost weekly - they knew my name and everything - because of the good value. A set of doubles is FREE, you can get gloss or matt, you can have the 'marges' - the white borders - free, and all for under nine euros, which is the cheapest in town. For all that? I'm actually saving my film from the Grand Canyon in the USA for when i go back to visit Aix, JUST SO I can develop them here.
    They offer you a carte de fidelite at this place, and man, am I fidele!!!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Open Air Markets: Food, Clothing and More

by cjg1 Updated Apr 10, 2009

Vendors and their Wares

Our visit to Aix yielding some fun shopping experiences. We wandered into a wonderful little food and flower in one of the squares. There were vendors selling fruit, vegetables, olives, chocolate, candy, bread, meats, herbs and spices. Liz and I bought some fresh raspberries, apricots and some calissons. The raspberries were very fresh and sweet. I'm not a fan of apricots so they were all for Liz. The calissons are a Provencal specialty pastry that are supposed to look like a pope's hat. It's made of almond paste and sugar. I've had them before when Liz brought them home from a trip with her Mom; and wasn't too thrilled with them.

After we wandered back to the main avenue we saw the large market that was now lining both sides of the street. Vendors were lined up selling everything from underwear to furniture. After strolling through and checking out the goods, Liz bought a dress and a bag.

I know my girl...any trip involving shopping is a good one.

What to buy: The fruit at the market was very good and the raspberries were only 2 Euros for a large container. The Apricots were a Euro for three. The Calissons were 4 euros for a package.

Liz's dress was 10 Euros. Her straw bag was 20 euros but of good construction and quite nice.

What to pay: Inexpensive-expensive

Sephora: Maquillage at SEPHORA

SEPHORA, Aix-en-Provence

Before going to Aix, I had never heard of SEPHORA. I loved going in there to pass the time even if I did go down the street to Monoprix where I could buy some of same brands, such as Bourjois. I was like a kid in a candy store.

It is not only for women, there are a lot of wonderful men's products here too.

What to buy: Cosmetics and perfumes.

If you like Chanel products, buy Bourjois label. It is made in the same factory.

• Rosalie de Montmartre: Parisian chic in Aix en Provence !

by pitochat Written May 30, 2009

A lovely shop in the historical center. Wonderful colors, you can find there the "créations" of a young parisian designer.
    She uses a lot of ribbons and lace, on nice printed fabrics.
    Go and see her web site : www.rosaliedemontmartre.com

She makes wedding dresses too !

What to buy: Lovely retro dresses, orginal skirts and plenty of tops !

What to pay: From 25 to 135 euros

• Luxury Travel

• kimigirl's Profile Photo

les Olivades: beautiful provencal block print cotton napkins

by kimigirl Updated Jul 5, 2006

This is a great place to buy cotton napkins. The prints are very attractive and they don't need ironing. I use these all of the time. There is a big selection which are 5 euros each. I also bought some for 10 euros each, but the simpler ones for 5 seem to appeal to most of the people I show them to. I don't remember the exact street but it is worth looking up when you get there. Just off the square where the Palais de Justice is...could have been on rue Chapeliers or rue Marius Reinaud.

What to buy: napkins and dishcloths and aprons

What to pay: 5-15 euros

• Trains
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Aix-en-Provence

Comments

Aix-en-Provence Shopping

Reviews and photos of Aix-en-Provence shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aix-en-Provence sightseeing.

View all Aix-en-Provence hotels