Arles Restaurants

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Criquet: Wonderful Provencal cooking

by Herkbert Updated Nov 3, 2013

Restaurant le Criquet

Everything we were told about Le Criquet was proven out with one dinner there, The restaurant is located near the amphitheater and was only a few steps from our hotel. The restaurant is not large, but there is seating besides the small front room when you walk in. It's a very cozy and comfortable atmosphere.

We were ushered right to our table when we arrived and made to feel welcome. Our waitress was patient and allowed us to struggle with our french, only helping in English when we were truly stuck - which was what we wanted.

The food is French Provencal (surprised?) and was outstanding. The menu is not large, but there are plenty of choices, each sounding better then the prior one. Prices are reasonable, especially considering the quality of the meals. The wine choices are also reasonably priced with selections that match perfectly with the food.

We would definitely return and would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone who enjoys a great meal.

Favorite Dish: While everything was awesome, we have to mention our two starters. I had a warm goat cheese and artichoke salad that was terrific. My wife had an eggplant lasagne that was scrumptious. Either are a good choice if they are on the menu.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Restaurant L'Ecrin: Great food, nice people, perfect evening

by Herkbert Updated Nov 3, 2013

Restaurant L'Ecrin

Chanced upon the restaurant while walking around town taking pictures. Looked cute from the outside and the menu sounded good so we thought we'd give it a try. Stopped in without a reservation right about 7:30 pm and we were able to be seated right away.

Our waitress was a delight. The menu is on a large board that is brought around to the table. Our waitress was ever so patient in explaining the choices and chuckling along with us as we asked questions. After taking our order, she was called away and her mom took over serving us. She was equally delightful and really made the evening fun.

Our meals were both delicious. We started with a plate of charcuterie and a liter of local wine. The wine was extremely reasonable and perfect for our meal. My wife had the Sea bass and I had the roast duck. We finished up with a cheese plate and a chocolate fondant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and our evening, even getting a smile from the Chef when my wife gave him a thumbs up as he peeked out of the kitchen. We'd definitely recommend the restaurant and would go back again.

Favorite Dish: Hard to decide between the duck and the sea bass. I thought the duck was cooked perfectly and the sauce was delicious.

• Luxury Travel

• CHEZ CARO: Might be the best restaurant in Arles

by supergrafic Written Sep 5, 2011

We found this place by walking among the Place du Forum.
    The restaurant is in a small dead end but has a huge terrasse on the square.
    the food was very precised and healthy, fresh and seasonnal.
    People where very nice and we love this place.
    very typical bistrot french cuisine.
    You will love it !

Favorite Dish: "joue de Toro" one of the speciality, means bull cheek !

• Museum Visits

La Gueule du Loup: Bring your "wolf's" appetite

by davequ Updated Jul 3, 2011

The door - rue des Ar��nes

La Gueule du Loup on rue des Arenes is a small but excellent restaurant in old city center run by a family (couple) named Allard.

Well-prepared, thought out menu and good food with a personal touch.

Thanks again to the kind lady who is the concierge at Hotel Nord Pinus on the forum
    for her recommendation and personally walking me down to this place.

Favorite Dish: Try the monkfish & squid in saffron or the filet of bull braised in red wine.
    Good duck also.

Highly recommended: Here's a MAP

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

La Chassagnette: Organic French cuisine in a quiet, country setting

by etfromnc Written Mar 29, 2010

The garden

Ideally situated in the heart of the Camargue, this former sheepfold was converted to a restaurant in 2000. Surrounded by an extradordinary (certified) organic garden which invites you for a delightfully colorful and aromatic stroll through the vegetables and herbs which you soon may be eating. The restaurant is also all about outdoors. It is open only Thursday through Monday and reservations are suggested. The chef, whose name has slipped my mind, formerly worked in New York. The food was excellent but the prices were too high.

• Eco-Tourism

• Suet's Profile Photo

L'Hostellerie des Arenes: L'Hostellerie des Arenes

by Suet Updated Oct 1, 2009

The restaurant on a corner

We spotted this delightful little restaurant tucked away on a corner of the street. We ate outside even though it was windy and a little chilly for the time of year. I liked the look of the place, cosy, inviting and the smell of cooking was wonderful. The restaurant was busy which is always a good sign. The locals were eating here which is another good point.

Favorite Dish: Hubby and I decided on a Pizza (as it was a Pizzeria, duh) and had a beer and a wine while we were waiting.

Pizzas were 9.00 and 8.50, pichet of house wine 3.50 and a beer 4.50, Euros 25.50 total to give you and idea of the prices for your budget.

l'Olivier: CLOSED

by davequ Updated Jul 23, 2008

adieu

NOTE: 10/3/03 - bummer, ... L'Olivier is FERME!
    Lots of different rumors (fire, financial trouble) I heard, but none the less, it is over for l'Olivier.

Two of my favorite restaurants in France (l'Olivier/Arles and Patachou/Paris) were gone by autumn 2003. I hope I'm not a "curse" upon good cuisine.

Here is my old tip below, keeping it as this place was truly great and I don't ever want to forget it: ask the locals, they will also tell you about l'Olivier and how good it was. I HATE it when great restaurants close.10/2001
    You will spend ~60 Euros for an excellent meal here at Restaurant l’Olivier. - I have tried a lot of them, and for the food, l'Olivier at 1 bis Boulevard /rue Reattu is excellent.
    Ambience is very pleasant as the web site noted here will attest.
    If you visit Arles and miss l'Olivier, well, .. you missed it. You had better go back.

Favorite Dish: (excellent duck foie gras)

then
    Pavé de cœur de filet de boeuf mariné aux herbes et poêlé, beurre émulsionné aux câpres, gratin de pomme de terre à l’ail.
    A wonderfully prepared beef fillet seasoned in the style of the Provence with potatoes au gratin.

I recommend a glass of champagne or a kir royale with the foie gras and a bottle of a good local Côtes du Rhône/Chateauneuf du Pape to wash your wonderful dinner down. Les Fromages for dessert or something chocolate from the dessert cart with espresso or armagnac. Magnifique!!

A memorable world-class meal you will enjoy for approx. 60 eu/person.

• La gueule de loup: Mind the stone steps

by lynnebold Written Feb 18, 2008

Don't be put off if this restaurant looks empty from the outside...the main event is happening upstairs. The stone staircase guides you to the upper dining area which is small and cosy.We had the set menu for 21 euros which, for an appetiser and 3 courses, was excellent value.
    An unusual taster of nut and carrot mousse, a sweet jammy onion and rocquefort tart, a generous portion of pork with thyme jus finished with a delicious concoction of ice-cream, meringue and chocolate liqueur.
    Be aware of the wine though. We ordered a local house wine and were brought a Provencal rosé which cost as much as the food...should have looked at the wine list first!
    And watch out for those stone stairs on the way down!!

Favorite Dish: The Rocquefort and onion tarte.

• Archeology

• micrologus's Profile Photo

Le Malarte: Don't miss this one

by micrologus Updated Sep 25, 2007

Brasserie and restaurant 'Le Malarte' is situated near the tourist office and only a 5 minute walk from the Arena. The food is excellent, cuisine provençale and french cuisine. The service is prompt and very friendly.

• Architecture
    • Archeology

l'Hauture: Soupe de poissons

by davequ Updated Jan 5, 2007

My first meal arriving in Arles was at l'Hauture

The first thing to order as an appetizer was soup... and my love affair with soupe de poissons began.

Full with locals, (a suggestion from the concierge at my hotel when I checked in), l'Hauture was a good introduction to Arles.

l'Hauture is located almost next to Criquet, though it's address is 25 rue Emile Barre 25, Rue Porte de Laure Arles.
    Bon appetit mes amis .

Favorite Dish: Soupe de Poissons must be accompanied with Sauce Rouille et Croutes (Saffron-Garlic Mayonnaise and Fried Bread with grated Gruyere cheese). You must also rub the raw garlic clove provided thoroughly over the bread/crouton.

Search the web for recipes, but have it first in Arles or if you have time, visit the city of Marseilles and have the greatest bouillabaisse in the world, the dish that is the mother of soupe de poissons.

Here is a recipe:
    Soup De Poisson Recipe Source

Restaurant Le Galoubet: Cuisine très bon dans Arles

My new Arles fave

Excellent food just a street or two north of the Forum. All the locals in Arles cruise this avenue like sharks at 7pm to see what they are serving that evening.

My new, Arles, high-end favorite now that L'Olivier is closed.

Eat early out on the terrace at 19:30.... it fills up quickly.

During the early part of dinner, a couple of local 'musicians' crashed the terrace and started playing classical dinner music, all slightly off-key.
    Everyone on the terrace was either trying not to laugh or pretending it wasn't happening, and it was actually quite funny. The bearded & slightly-strange violinist would make eye contact with the diners, nod and smile as he played (expecting a gratuity I suspect) making it even more like a situation comedy.
    Sid Caesar himself could not have written & performed a more humorous bit.

After a couple of songs and a few heavy sighs from my fellow diners, our serenaders were finished and strolled up rue du Docteur Fanton, off to what I assume was another restaurant.

To me it was actually quite fun, and I would appreciate it even more next time, if nothing else to savor (along with my appetizer) the reactions of the lucky customers on the terrace.

Favorite Dish: Fois gras, Cotes de Veau, fromage,

& you can't go wrong with anything that is on the prix fixe menu.
    Excellent food and service.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Restaurant l'Escaladou .. Jean-Charles Signoret: Delicious & good value - atmosphere a l'Provence

The

A fine place for dinner - very homey, local, and 'family-style'

Just south of the Roman Arena, next to l'Hauture and Le Criquet, Restaurant l'Escaladou may be the best of the 3.

Tasty house wine, yummy menu a l'Provence, good service, long tables full of locals (no english here) and lots of good french / provencale food.
    I really enjoyed dinner here and would return anytime.

A young lady (not a hustler) who by misfortune can neither hear nor speak will sweep quickly through the restaurant once a night, putting eccentric / novelty cigarette lighters with glowing leds on every table (only 3 Eu, and they are good quality), then pick them up quickly and leave. That is how she makes enough money to survive.
    I bought one. She smiled (a genuine smile) and sweetly gave me the hand-signs for thanks & kindness, then walked out into the night, probably to another restaurant.

Restaurant l'Escaladou is my new Arles fave for everyday/good Provence cuisine just 50 meters from my hotel (Calendal). I'll never forget this place.

Favorite Dish: I remember having some soup de poissons, roti agneu (lamb chops), a couple good provencale side dishes, fromage, and a bottle of the house Cotes d'Rhone. Everything was delicious.

La Charcuterie: Another Good Restaurant

by davequ Updated Jan 5, 2007

The maitre-Chef / owner is professional, proud & helpful, and the service / ambience is very personable as you would expect in such a small place.

The style of food is referred to as 'Bouchon Lyonnais' - which is supposed to mean (e.g. according to Wikipedia) - "a bouchon is a type of restaurant found in Lyon, France, that serves traditional Lyonnaise cuisine, such as sausages, duck pâté or roast pork."

I would define it as french 'home cookin' - Whatever, works for me .... all I know is I really thought the food was great.

The also have a really cool old cellar where they have parties and 'receptions.'

If you have time and are walking down by the forum, I recommend you definitely check this place out as a dinner possibility.

Update: they finally got a website ... if you get time check it out for more info, photos, and some history.

Favorite Dish: For an appertif, I started with a pastis;
    then terrine cannard (duck pate) and a small entree with some good local sausage;
    for main plat:
    Emince de Volaille (sliced poultry in a delicious thick creme sauce), but the side dish of what was pommes gratin (excellent potatoes au gratin made from local cheeses) was amazing.
    Fromage and chocolate mousse for dessert.

vin de la maison rouge of course - I have no class, I almost always drink reds, even with fish.

• shirtlf's Profile Photo

La Caravelle: Good food by the banks of the Rhone

by shirtlf Written Jun 6, 2006

La Caravelle is a small friendly restaurant and wine bar by the banks of the Rhone. The food is excellent, provencal with a french-canadian touch. The owners are a friendly young couple who are keen to improve their english. We started chatting to a friendly local in the wine bar and agreed to meet him for a meal the next evening. When we arrived we found that the party had grown to nine people. We had a wonderful evening and made some lovely new friends.

Favorite Dish: The lamb is highly recommended.

• Architecture

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Dune Cafe: Middle East In Southern France!

by LauraWest Written Jul 16, 2005

scene near Dune

I walked by this little place about 6 times before I gave in to it. After all, I can get this kind of food at home, so why go to Southern France for it?! That was my reasoning. but it is right around the corner from Hotel du Musee ( where I was staying ) & it is vegetarian....I'm glad I went!! It was great!!

Most of the tables are on a wooden deck just above the narrow street. Service was prompt & friendly. Even the other customers were friendly to me, all French people the evening I dined. An attractive place that I hope is there the next time I visit Arles.

Favorite Dish: I got a combination plate with all the classic dishes. It was well presented, fresh & very tastey. The young man put a little bowl of good fresh olives & a glass of water in front of me before I ordered, an appreciated touch.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Arles

Comments

Arles Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Arles restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arles sightseeing.