Arles Restaurants

Brasserie des Lys
    Near the Brasserie des Lys in Arles

Most Recent Restaurants in Arles

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Dune Cafe: Middle East In Southern France!

by LauraWest Written Jul 16, 2005

I walked by this little place about 6 times before I gave in to it. After all, I can get this kind of food at home, so why go to Southern France for it?! That was my reasoning. but it is right around the corner from Hotel du Musee ( where I was staying ) & it is vegetarian....I'm glad I went!! It was great!!

Most of the tables are on a wooden deck just above the narrow street. Service was prompt & friendly. Even the other customers were friendly to me, all French people the evening I dined. An attractive place that I hope is there the next time I visit Arles.

Favorite Dish: I got a combination plate with all the classic dishes. It was well presented, fresh & very tastey. The young man put a little bowl of good fresh olives & a glass of water in front of me before I ordered, an appreciated touch.

scene near Dune
    • Trains

Le Criquet: A little place in Arles behind the Arena

by davequ Updated May 20, 2005

Always good, always reliable.

Very affordable, patronized by many locals, with a friendly, helpful staff, a short walk from the Roman Arena.

House wines were tasty and affordable.

Favorite Dish: Soup de Poisson with rouille. Then a roast lamb or grilled chops a la Provencal. Eggplant is also good.

(They do not serve locust)

You can learn more about the tasty cuisine "a la provencale" here:
    Provencal Cuisine

Some French restaurants will put the garlic&olive oil Provence "twist" on a lot of entrees if you simply request they be prepared
    "a la provencale."

le gazouillement de criquet
    • Study Abroad

Jardin .. Hotel Calendal: Petit Dejeuner in the Calendal Garden

by davequ Updated Aug 26, 2004

Hotel Calendal has such a nice garden to take any of your meals or cafe/tea.

Always peaceful, ... definitely the reason to stay here is the garden.

Favorite Dish: Any meal (especially petite dejeuner) or a drink in the evening. Try a versinthe around 11:00 pm for a unique experience.
    They bring you the glass, absinthe spoon, water and sugar cube for the whole ritual.

spying on a breakfast meeting in the hotel garden

Brasserie du Nord-Pinus: Highly recommended and in the Hotel

by davequ Updated Aug 23, 2004

Food here is very good. The hotel is excellent with nice suites and a helpful staff.
    Beautiful interior as well.
    I recommend Nord P for hotel and for meals.
    Location is right on the forum, can be a little noisy (motos) early evenings fri & sat night during high season.

Favorite Dish: Seasonal menu keeps changing.
    Order whatever is fresh, seasonal, recommended.

Another recommended place close by for lunch & dinner with buffet/smorgasboard and good plats is L'Affenage, (a "fireplace grill") at 4 rue Moliere. tel 0490960767

Embargo Cafe: Market Day Lunch

by davequ Updated Aug 21, 2004

Embargo Cafe sits on the second "tier" above Boulevard de Lices, where Market Day happens every Wednesday and Saturday in Arles.

I bought quail roti and a slice of roast pork from a saturday/"Market Day" street vendor, then walked up and around to the entrance off Lices. They let me in with my fresh market day bag lunch, and let me sit on the terrace with some wine and later espresso, while I ate the fresh roasted quail and pork. With the view, it was a very nice experience.

Favorite Dish: Don't know, ate market day roti. But the wine and espresso were good, and the service and view were excellent.

Looking up @ Embargo from Blvd Lices

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

Cafe Van Gogh: Good cheap food, from an immortalized cafe!

by rwlittle Written May 9, 2004

Cafe Van Gogh has capitalized on the fact that Van Gogh immortalized it in "Cafe de Nuit", but it nevertheless offered good and reasonably priced Provencal cuisine. In May, you can eat outdoors at night.

While eating there, a street performer came by and performed some fire-breathing. Silly me, I'd left the camera in the hotel, so I wasn't able to catch any of it on film.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Embargo Cafe: Here's the quail and roast pork from street market

by davequ Updated Oct 24, 2003

Delicious roasted quail on a spit fresh from the market, along with a fresh slice of roast pork from same vendor, cut from the roast as I stood there.
    Thanks to the proprietor for letting me enjoy his terrace.

Instant Answers: Arles

Comments

Arles Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Arles restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arles sightseeing.