Arles Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Arles

La Gueule du Loup: Bring your "wolf's" appetite

by davequ Updated Jul 3, 2011

The door - rue des Ar��nes

La Gueule du Loup on rue des Arenes is a small but excellent restaurant in old city center run by a family (couple) named Allard.

Well-prepared, thought out menu and good food with a personal touch.

Thanks again to the kind lady who is the concierge at Hotel Nord Pinus on the forum
    for her recommendation and personally walking me down to this place.

Favorite Dish: Try the monkfish & squid in saffron or the filet of bull braised in red wine.
    Good duck also.

Highly recommended: Here's a MAP

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

Cafe Van Gogh: Good cheap food, from an immortalized cafe!

by rwlittle Written May 9, 2004

Cafe Van Gogh has capitalized on the fact that Van Gogh immortalized it in "Cafe de Nuit", but it nevertheless offered good and reasonably priced Provencal cuisine. In May, you can eat outdoors at night.

While eating there, a street performer came by and performed some fire-breathing. Silly me, I'd left the camera in the hotel, so I wasn't able to catch any of it on film.

Brasserie du Nord-Pinus: Highly recommended and in the Hotel

by davequ Updated Aug 23, 2004

Food here is very good. The hotel is excellent with nice suites and a helpful staff.
    Beautiful interior as well.
    I recommend Nord P for hotel and for meals.
    Location is right on the forum, can be a little noisy (motos) early evenings fri & sat night during high season.

Favorite Dish: Seasonal menu keeps changing.
    Order whatever is fresh, seasonal, recommended.

Another recommended place close by for lunch & dinner with buffet/smorgasboard and good plats is L'Affenage, (a "fireplace grill") at 4 rue Moliere. tel 0490960767

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Dune Cafe: Middle East In Southern France!

by LauraWest Written Jul 16, 2005

scene near Dune

I walked by this little place about 6 times before I gave in to it. After all, I can get this kind of food at home, so why go to Southern France for it?! That was my reasoning. but it is right around the corner from Hotel du Musee ( where I was staying ) & it is vegetarian....I'm glad I went!! It was great!!

Most of the tables are on a wooden deck just above the narrow street. Service was prompt & friendly. Even the other customers were friendly to me, all French people the evening I dined. An attractive place that I hope is there the next time I visit Arles.

Favorite Dish: I got a combination plate with all the classic dishes. It was well presented, fresh & very tastey. The young man put a little bowl of good fresh olives & a glass of water in front of me before I ordered, an appreciated touch.

• Trains

Jardin .. Hotel Calendal: Petit Dejeuner in the Calendal Garden

by davequ Updated Aug 26, 2004

spying on a breakfast meeting in the hotel garden

Hotel Calendal has such a nice garden to take any of your meals or cafe/tea.

Always peaceful, ... definitely the reason to stay here is the garden.

Favorite Dish: Any meal (especially petite dejeuner) or a drink in the evening. Try a versinthe around 11:00 pm for a unique experience.
    They bring you the glass, absinthe spoon, water and sugar cube for the whole ritual.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Restaurant l'Escaladou .. Jean-Charles Signoret: Delicious & good value - atmosphere a l'Provence

The

A fine place for dinner - very homey, local, and 'family-style'

Just south of the Roman Arena, next to l'Hauture and Le Criquet, Restaurant l'Escaladou may be the best of the 3.

Tasty house wine, yummy menu a l'Provence, good service, long tables full of locals (no english here) and lots of good french / provencale food.
    I really enjoyed dinner here and would return anytime.

A young lady (not a hustler) who by misfortune can neither hear nor speak will sweep quickly through the restaurant once a night, putting eccentric / novelty cigarette lighters with glowing leds on every table (only 3 Eu, and they are good quality), then pick them up quickly and leave. That is how she makes enough money to survive.
    I bought one. She smiled (a genuine smile) and sweetly gave me the hand-signs for thanks & kindness, then walked out into the night, probably to another restaurant.

Restaurant l'Escaladou is my new Arles fave for everyday/good Provence cuisine just 50 meters from my hotel (Calendal). I'll never forget this place.

Favorite Dish: I remember having some soup de poissons, roti agneu (lamb chops), a couple good provencale side dishes, fromage, and a bottle of the house Cotes d'Rhone. Everything was delicious.

Restaurant Le Galoubet: Cuisine très bon dans Arles

My new Arles fave

Excellent food just a street or two north of the Forum. All the locals in Arles cruise this avenue like sharks at 7pm to see what they are serving that evening.

My new, Arles, high-end favorite now that L'Olivier is closed.

Eat early out on the terrace at 19:30.... it fills up quickly.

During the early part of dinner, a couple of local 'musicians' crashed the terrace and started playing classical dinner music, all slightly off-key.
    Everyone on the terrace was either trying not to laugh or pretending it wasn't happening, and it was actually quite funny. The bearded & slightly-strange violinist would make eye contact with the diners, nod and smile as he played (expecting a gratuity I suspect) making it even more like a situation comedy.
    Sid Caesar himself could not have written & performed a more humorous bit.

After a couple of songs and a few heavy sighs from my fellow diners, our serenaders were finished and strolled up rue du Docteur Fanton, off to what I assume was another restaurant.

To me it was actually quite fun, and I would appreciate it even more next time, if nothing else to savor (along with my appetizer) the reactions of the lucky customers on the terrace.

Favorite Dish: Fois gras, Cotes de Veau, fromage,

& you can't go wrong with anything that is on the prix fixe menu.
    Excellent food and service.

La Charcuterie: Another Good Restaurant

by davequ Updated Jan 5, 2007

The maitre-Chef / owner is professional, proud & helpful, and the service / ambience is very personable as you would expect in such a small place.

The style of food is referred to as 'Bouchon Lyonnais' - which is supposed to mean (e.g. according to Wikipedia) - "a bouchon is a type of restaurant found in Lyon, France, that serves traditional Lyonnaise cuisine, such as sausages, duck pâté or roast pork."

I would define it as french 'home cookin' - Whatever, works for me .... all I know is I really thought the food was great.

The also have a really cool old cellar where they have parties and 'receptions.'

If you have time and are walking down by the forum, I recommend you definitely check this place out as a dinner possibility.

Update: they finally got a website ... if you get time check it out for more info, photos, and some history.

Favorite Dish: For an appertif, I started with a pastis;
    then terrine cannard (duck pate) and a small entree with some good local sausage;
    for main plat:
    Emince de Volaille (sliced poultry in a delicious thick creme sauce), but the side dish of what was pommes gratin (excellent potatoes au gratin made from local cheeses) was amazing.
    Fromage and chocolate mousse for dessert.

vin de la maison rouge of course - I have no class, I almost always drink reds, even with fish.

Embargo Cafe: Market Day Lunch

by davequ Updated Aug 21, 2004

Looking up @ Embargo from Blvd Lices

Embargo Cafe sits on the second "tier" above Boulevard de Lices, where Market Day happens every Wednesday and Saturday in Arles.

I bought quail roti and a slice of roast pork from a saturday/"Market Day" street vendor, then walked up and around to the entrance off Lices. They let me in with my fresh market day bag lunch, and let me sit on the terrace with some wine and later espresso, while I ate the fresh roasted quail and pork. With the view, it was a very nice experience.

Favorite Dish: Don't know, ate market day roti. But the wine and espresso were good, and the service and view were excellent.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Embargo Cafe: Here's the quail and roast pork from street market

by davequ Updated Oct 24, 2003

Delicious roasted quail on a spit fresh from the market, along with a fresh slice of roast pork from same vendor, cut from the roast as I stood there.
    Thanks to the proprietor for letting me enjoy his terrace.

• shirtlf's Profile Photo

La Caravelle: Good food by the banks of the Rhone

by shirtlf Written Jun 6, 2006

La Caravelle is a small friendly restaurant and wine bar by the banks of the Rhone. The food is excellent, provencal with a french-canadian touch. The owners are a friendly young couple who are keen to improve their english. We started chatting to a friendly local in the wine bar and agreed to meet him for a meal the next evening. When we arrived we found that the party had grown to nine people. We had a wonderful evening and made some lovely new friends.

Favorite Dish: The lamb is highly recommended.

• Architecture

l'Hauture: Soupe de poissons

by davequ Updated Jan 5, 2007

My first meal arriving in Arles was at l'Hauture

The first thing to order as an appetizer was soup... and my love affair with soupe de poissons began.

Full with locals, (a suggestion from the concierge at my hotel when I checked in), l'Hauture was a good introduction to Arles.

l'Hauture is located almost next to Criquet, though it's address is 25 rue Emile Barre 25, Rue Porte de Laure Arles.
    Bon appetit mes amis .

Favorite Dish: Soupe de Poissons must be accompanied with Sauce Rouille et Croutes (Saffron-Garlic Mayonnaise and Fried Bread with grated Gruyere cheese). You must also rub the raw garlic clove provided thoroughly over the bread/crouton.

Search the web for recipes, but have it first in Arles or if you have time, visit the city of Marseilles and have the greatest bouillabaisse in the world, the dish that is the mother of soupe de poissons.

Here is a recipe:
    Soup De Poisson Recipe Source

• micrologus's Profile Photo

Le Malarte: Don't miss this one

by micrologus Updated Sep 25, 2007

Brasserie and restaurant 'Le Malarte' is situated near the tourist office and only a 5 minute walk from the Arena. The food is excellent, cuisine provençale and french cuisine. The service is prompt and very friendly.

• Architecture
    • Archeology

Le Criquet: A little place in Arles behind the Arena

by davequ Updated May 20, 2005

le gazouillement de criquet

Always good, always reliable.

Very affordable, patronized by many locals, with a friendly, helpful staff, a short walk from the Roman Arena.

House wines were tasty and affordable.

Favorite Dish: Soup de Poisson with rouille. Then a roast lamb or grilled chops a la Provencal. Eggplant is also good.

(They do not serve locust)

You can learn more about the tasty cuisine "a la provencale" here:
    Provencal Cuisine

Some French restaurants will put the garlic&olive oil Provence "twist" on a lot of entrees if you simply request they be prepared
    "a la provencale."

• Study Abroad

• Suet's Profile Photo

L'Hostellerie des Arenes: L'Hostellerie des Arenes

by Suet Updated Oct 1, 2009

The restaurant on a corner

We spotted this delightful little restaurant tucked away on a corner of the street. We ate outside even though it was windy and a little chilly for the time of year. I liked the look of the place, cosy, inviting and the smell of cooking was wonderful. The restaurant was busy which is always a good sign. The locals were eating here which is another good point.

Favorite Dish: Hubby and I decided on a Pizza (as it was a Pizzeria, duh) and had a beer and a wine while we were waiting.

Pizzas were 9.00 and 8.50, pichet of house wine 3.50 and a beer 4.50, Euros 25.50 total to give you and idea of the prices for your budget.

Instant Answers: Arles

Comments

Arles Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Arles restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arles sightseeing.