Arles Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Arles

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Postcards Everywhere! Do U like this Shot?

by LauraWest Updated Sep 3, 2007

One of the little shops across from the Amphitheatre. I like the colorfulness of the racks. Therefore, I snapped this shot. I treasure my own photos on my travels and really love to take them. Buying postcards is a pleasure, at times, too. They are souvenirs that I can afford and cannot resist!

You can buy lavender here, or was it the shop next door? Lavender is for sale in many other shops in Arles.

• Trains

• davequ's Profile Photo

Le Cave du Grand Sud: I always buy some local Provence Wine

by davequ Updated Aug 6, 2007

Fruit of  the Provence

I like to motor around Provence from Chateauneuf du Pape to buy local wines, but this last Sept. '03
    I was fortunate enough to find this excellent wine merchant in Arles.

The proprietor Jean-Michel was what all businessmen should be: helpful, knowledgeable, kind, passionate about his product, and patient.

I bought 6 bottles of various Provence/Cotes du Rhones. (5 made it home, 1 mysteriously disappeared one night in Hotel Calendal's garden around midnight). burp....

What to buy: Surrender to Jean-Michel's recommendations. He is honest, trustworthy, and has forgotten more about Provence wine than I will ever know.

I recommend Chateauneuf du Pape in the good years (90, 95, 98, 2000) and Rasteau (thank you Lady Porteplume).

Let Jean-Michel do the rest.

What to pay: For ~150 Euros I came home with 6 bottles (minus 1) that in 2 years will be worth over $1000, if you could even find them in the correct vintages.
    But that is purely mental masturbation, as I can guarantee in about 2.5 years it will all be a delicious memory.

Since I will drink it all, I suppose I will be forced to return in 2005 and buy more. Tough work I know, but somebody's gotta' do it.

• Wine Tasting

• Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo

Arles Outdoor Market: Shopping at it's BEST!

by Lady_Mystique Updated Apr 26, 2005

Spices at Market

~ This is a weekly outdoor Market that takes place every Wednesday and Saturday, until noon.

Saturday: Bd. des Lices and Bd. Georges-Clémenceau.
    Wednesday: Bd. Émile Combes.

On the first Wednesday of every month there is a foire à la brocantes (antique fair) on Bd. des Lices.

~ A feast for all the senses!!!

What to buy: ~ You can buy locally grown produce, to make some great meals, or, cooked and prepared foods to eat on the spot!

~ Lots of items made of colorful fabrics, by the metre (such as the bright Provencal fabrics), or skirts and tops, and bed and table linens.

~ Herbs and spices of the South and their famous Lavender!!

~ Locally made soaps and toiletries from natural ingredients.

~ Art and hand-crafted items such as oil paintings, watercolors, painted porcelains, carved wooden objects, pottery, and the famous Santons.

~ Antiques such as watches, jewellery, coins, laces, buttons, books, household items and furniture.

What to pay: Very reasonable prices as you are buying directly from the producer.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Market Day on Blvd. de Lices: Of course, Market Day

by davequ Written Nov 10, 2004

Market days in Arles are every Wed and Saturday.

Here is my Market Day Travelogue -(click below):

Market Day in Arles

What to buy: See travelogue above

What to pay: Many items negotiable which is half the fun

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

more than just a farmers' market!: farmers? market in Arles

by rwlittle Updated May 9, 2004

farmers��� market in Arles

The farmers' market is held every Wednesday and Saturday (we caught the Saturday market). Not only was food on sale, but also we found clothing, knick-knacks, and souvenirs on sale as well. We picked up some food here prior to catching the bus to go to Les Baux, and some souvenirs for our parents.

• agarcia's Profile Photo

Arles Market: Market Day!

by agarcia Updated Jun 24, 2003

The shopkeeper

You should not miss Arles Saturday street market. It constitutes these kind of experiences that make a travel truly unforgettable. Even now, writing these lines, I can still remember the intense human activity, the colorful shops, but especially the scent… a myriad of scents that somehow managed to compose a marvelous symphony. If you only have a day to visit Arles it should be a Saturday. No doubt about that.

What to buy: The market is just the perfect place to buy local goods

Instant Answers: Arles

Comments

Arles Shopping

Reviews and photos of Arles shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arles sightseeing.