Modern Cannes began with a country house which was constructed here in 1834 by English lord Brouhem. Being afraid of epidemic of the plague which have burst in vicinities Nice in 1834, he searched for a place where his sick daughter Eleonora could have a rest and be treated. So on seacoast there was a country house with an English lawn. Lord named its name of the daughter which nevertheless died.
Friends of lord Brouhem gradually bought up nearby sites and constructed country houses. The lord achieved the sanction to construction of port from Lui Phillip and has enclosed in it the money. Therefore the problem with water on coast has been solved.
There has arrived to Cannes Prosper Merime. He was the general inspector on historical monuments. In some years he constructed his own summer residence on the coast. He achieved the construction of the 60-kilometer channel for maintenance of coast with water.
In 1887 Cannes were visited by the queen of England Victoria, and since then celebrities began to visit the city.