Cannes Warnings and Dangers

• NiceLife's Profile Photo

Riviera Motor Neurone Disease

by NiceLife Updated Apr 18, 2010

Lamborghini and lime cocktail

In August the number of seriously deluxe cars peaks and the Saudi royals head for their villas up in Super Cannes to escape the blistering 40 degree heat of Riyadh. Cars boats and all the other toys accompany them, thanks to the largesse of the petroleum economy.

The sight of all these lovely motors glistening and purring in the sun is going to make you very dissatisfied with that pile of junk you drive around in back home.

Car-envy Syndrome - Riviera Motor Neurone Disease:

"Why haven't I got one of those? It's not fair" you will say. Exactly so. But who ever told you life was fair?

Never mind, at least you are happy. You are happy aren't you?

Not really.

Oh...

• Huks's Profile Photo

Parking

by Huks Written Aug 19, 2007

Car is located wrong

When you are on boulevard de la Croisette and you would like to park a car, be aware policeman isn't sleeping. Traffic there is very intensive and look better to park car in other place if you aren't assured.

• WARNING

by Ladymarian1 Written Jun 8, 2007

Dirty, Filthy hotel, arrogant staff

Holiday Inn, Garden Court, Cannes

Rooms are dirty, loo hadn't been cleaned, hair around shower. Complaints not removed from room - when handing one in from 3 weeks previous we were told by staff it wasn't their job to deal with complaints. Rooms had chains on doors in addition to normal door locks. Car park is not marked and is expensive. Staff find it highly amusing to see you reverse up steep ramp, only to advise you that you have to park where you've just reversed out of.

• KayDenmark's Profile Photo

Crime on road from Nice Airport

by KayDenmark Written Dec 30, 2006

Local newspapers are warning about a crime trend near Nice Airport - teenagers jump into cars parked at stoplights and steal any visible bags and baggage. Simply locking your car doors seems to be the best prevention.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• NiceLife's Profile Photo

Crackdown on sale of counterfeit goods

by NiceLife Updated Dec 8, 2005

Real or counterfeit?Could be an expensive bargain!

Cannes and other towns along the Riviera have long been plagued by (or served by) street vendors selling counterfeit handbags, dark glasses and other branded luxury goods.

Well perhaps not for much longer:

France announces crackdown

Implementing Article 321-1 of the French penal code, persons found buying counterfeit goods are guilty of possession, punishable by a fine of up to 375,000 euros and 5-year prison term. Seems a bit extreme for a five euro bogus pair of shades, but there you go. Fines of several thousand euro have been reported.

So beware of bargain offers - tourists are already being prosecuted! Visitors driving over to Ventimiglia's Friday morning market are being subject to search at the border crossing on return, and counterfeit goods are being confiscated and destroyed, and if it takes their fancy, fines administered.

As part of the drive, "street professions" (I think they mean entertainers and casual vendors, rather than ladies-of-the-night variety - business for them seems as busy as ever) have been banned from the seafront from April to September and other main streets during conferences and conventions. Though Cannes had swept the Croisette clean, we noticed Nice has cleared them from the Promenade too. So no young men painting science fiction landscapes with spraycans, crepe and nutella vendors, or peruvian panpipe ensembles.

At Least Do This:
    Take out a second mortgage and buy the real thing? In the unlikely event you are the proud owner of the real thing, proof of purchase may come in useful.

• vibi68's Profile Photo

My experience with Cannes' Office of Tourism...

by vibi68 Updated May 31, 2005

I had bad experiences with people being very mean to me in France's large cities, so when I got into Cannes I felt it was going to be the same... and I had felt right. The worse part is that I experienced it in Cannes' Office of Tourism, the one right next to the Palais des Festivals; what I don't understand (because I always try to dismiss bad attitude by trying to figure out the reasons why people act the way they do) is I didn't even go in the true "high season", nor did I bother them after a long day's work. It was on a glorious sunny morning of the end of May that I entered the office to get information on expeditions for the coming weeks of my stay. I was scared, and nervous and wanted my French friend to ask for me since he had the accent of the place, but he persuaded me to go to the counter myself and ask, saying that these ladies served thousands of people from hundreds of countries every day, therefor they HAD to be nice and obliging. Well I never got the information, because I never got to end my sentence; this pompous old witch just shut me up, telling me there was no such expeditions available! I was so stunned I left walking backwards! Of course I did get to do all the expeditions I wanted after searching here and there for information on my own. ...And in case you wonder what language I spoke, to be so misstreated, well... French of course! for it is my mother tongue. Just a word of advice: be prepared for their impoliteness and lack of curtesy... it may not happen to you but at least you'll have been warned!

• laetitiad's Profile Photo

traffic jams...

by laetitiad Written May 8, 2005

Don't even think of driving in Cannes during the film festival !!! (Except if you know relatively well the place and know how to avoid the traffic jams).
    I would advise to catch a train from a quieter place to browse the streets of cannes and maybe catch a glimpse of a star.

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Getting crushed by cars and crowd

by Elainehead Written May 15, 2004
    Cars and crowd in Croisette

Each year people get more and more insane. However, this year was a bit special due some protests (show business workers and hotel Carlton staff).

And some stoopid guy wearing a stoopid hat will ruin your picture by suddenly walking in front of you and greet your favorite star by leaning over the poor person's window.

• rich77's Profile Photo

Biggest Hot dog!

by rich77 Written Feb 7, 2004

Breakfast in Cannes, July 2002

Pay attention with the hot dogs :) I asked one, it was about 10 o'clock in the morning, and I receive this big sandwitch... Very hard as breakfast, don't you think? :)

PS: It was really good, in effect :))

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

When it's crowded, watch out those pickpockets!

by Elainehead Written Sep 5, 2002

Since most people go to Cannes during the Film Festival, they are mostly worried about spotting famous people, therefore they get distracted and pickpockets take action. If you are also hanging around Cannes with a huge camera around your neck, you might be a potential victim as well. If something happens to you, try to find a police officer.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Get to the Beach Early

by barryg23 Written Jan 23, 2003

Cannes Beach

Many parts of the beach were reserved (or there was a charge to use them) and there is only a limited amount of space for those not willing to pay, so get there early and grab your place.

Instant Answers: Cannes

Comments

Cannes Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Cannes warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cannes sightseeing.