The Fort de la Tour Fondue stands on top of a rock, at the southernmost tip of the Presqu'île de Gien. It was built in 1634 and modified in the XVIIth and XIXth. It was designed for a series of canon that covered the access to Hyères from the Grand Ribaud pass. It is not owned by the army anymore and there is a project to used it as a museum about the local marine life.
We visited the island Porquerolles. We rented mountainbikes which was great for exploring the island.
Tour Fondue harbor is the terminal for the ferries. In high season, there is at least a ferry to Porquerolles every half an hour. Some of them make the round trip Tour Fondue, Porquerolles, Port-Cros, Levant, Tour Fondue (only in high season)
In low season, there are far less connections and no connection for Port-Cros, Levant from la Tour Fondue.
All year round, the direct ferries to Port-Cros and Levant island depart from the harbor of Hyères.