Île de Porquerolles Restaurants

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

L'Hyppocampe: Great time!

by egonwegh Updated Aug 4, 2010
    Porquerolles, Place d'Armes, Hyppocampe

We had an excellent lunch here during our one day visit to Ile de Porquerolles, 12 May 2010. The brasserie/bistrot l'Hyppocampe is situated in a great spot at the central square of the main town - Place d'Armes - and from here it is not very far to the harbour.

Favorite Dish: Our lunch consisted of 2x Matelot dish (choice menu with entrée and main course, we had goat cheese and fish; tomato, mozarrella and steak hache), 2x cafe creme, and 2x demi Heineken beer, for which we paid euro 53.60

• rsilva's Profile Photo

L'Hyppocampe: Friendly service and a nice view

by rsilva Written Oct 2, 2007

On our first day on the island and without any special recommendations, we decided to try this restaurant, it looked as good as any other.
    Since it was early, it was almost empty and we got a table with a relatively nice view over the port.

We were not very hungry, so we just had a main course each. I had an ostrich steak, but due to my poor French, I got it a bit to rare for my taste, although I still enjoyed it.
    My wife had a Dorade (apparently Sea Bream in English), which she particularly enjoyed.

Service was very good, efficient and friendly.

Prices were quite steep, 20Eur for the fish and 16 for the meat is not exactly cheap. Starters were up to 14 Eur and desserts were around 6-8 Eur.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Villa Sainte-Anne: A great choice

by rsilva Written Oct 2, 2007

Porquerolles is a small place and almost all restaurants are concentrated around the main square.
    This one had been recommended by our friends and it was, indeed, a great choice.

We were lucky to arrive relatively early as shortly after we arrived, all tables were taken.
    As you can probably see from the picture, it has a nice little terrace and on a beautiful evening (like when we were there), it makes for a very pleasant meal.

Eating on the island is never cheap and this restaurant was no exception, however there was a fixed-price menu which at 25Eur was great value for money.

The starter was an octopus salad which was good, but not great as the octopus was a bit too chewy. The main was a choice of fish or meat and we had one of each. Don't remember what kind of fish it was, but it was quite good. I had a steak which was tender, but not particularly tasty.

The desserts, were really good. I had the chocolate mousse, which was actually a piece of cake made out of chocolate mousse with a praline base and my wife had the yogurt with red fruits.
    We were both very satisfied.

Service was excellent, with a very happy looking waitress that made you feel good. It had some nice details such as a large menu in a wooden frame that is placed on a chair next to you while you make the choice.

Although the food we had was not the best we ever had (the plates going to the other tables looked great!), the setting and the excellent service made it a very good experience

Judging by the amount of people on the day we were there, I suggest booking during the high season.

Favorite Dish: The desserts were the highlight of the evening, but some of the other dishes we saw looked amazing.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Open air!: Open air!

by JLBG Written Jan 29, 2007

Open air dinner!

There are a few restaurants in the village but it is so much fun to bring your own food and have dinner somewhere with both shade (even in September, it is pretty warm at noon!) and a landscape. Our party sat on the stairs at the entrance of Fort de Sainte Agathe, with a superb view on the bay.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Île de Porquerolles

Comments

Île de Porquerolles Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Île de Porquerolles restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Île de Porquerolles sightseeing.

View all Île de Porquerolles hotels