Les calanques, Marseille

Know about this? Rate It!

littoral houseleek
    Alep pine
    strawberry tree
  • tini58de's Profile Photo

Flora and Fauna

by tini58de Updated Mar 22, 2007

kermes oak

Favorite thing: The Calanques are actually pretty bare, but if you look closer you will find the most interesting plants there. The sight of huge bushes of rosemary was awesome, and some of the plants were unknown to me - but thanks to VT member Jean Louis (JLBG) I can give you the exact names.

First is the scientific name, second the French names(s) and third an English translation:

Photo 1: Quercus coccifera, chêne lermès, kermes oak. Kermes is also the name of cochineals that parasite this tree and that, in the past, were extracted to give kermes, a red dye
    Photo 2: Sedum litoreum, orpin du littoral, littoral houseleek
    Photo 3: Pinus halepensis, pin d'Alep, Alep pine
    Photo 4: Arbutus unedo, arbousier or arbre à fraises, strawberries tree. The berries are edible though not very tasty
    Photo 5: a pine on top but I cannot say what are the bushes underneath.

Thanks, JLBG - this has been fantastic!!!

Here is also an interesting website about the Calenques

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

The Calanques

by rickyvilla81 Written Mar 12, 2003

Favorite thing: I never went to the Calanques in my whole time in Provence!!! But I am assured by everybody else I know that this is the most beautiful area around Marseille. A good idea would be to get a bus from the Gare out to the end of the line (direction - calanques - of course) and hike over the cliffs until you reach them. Large rocks rising from a turquoise sea, gentle beaches that should be in the movies, not Marseille. When I go back in May, I'll make sure I go out there.

Instant Answers: Marseille