Marseille Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Marseille

• LE PLAT PROVENCAL: AVOID 'LE PLAT PROVENCAL'

by ikeacat Written Jun 24, 2008

The pizza we ordered had clearly been lying around for some time before delivery to our table and did not have the ingredients listed on the menu. When we pointed this out to the owner he became aggressive and simply told us that the pizza was the one we had ordered and we had to pay. I have never encountered such an unpleasant restarauteur. AVOID. There are better places nearby.

• bisous333's Profile Photo

Cafeteria at the Eglise Notre Dame de la Garde: Heavenly food in a religious setting

by bisous333 Written May 20, 2008

Entr��e:

Firstly, I didn't expect much from a cafeteria in a church grounds, but I was pleasantly surprised. As it was Pentecost Sunday the menus were special. Let me just tell you that all the staff here are nuns, but they don't wear the full outfits. They have their hair all cut short and usually wear simple outfits from their native countries ( that could have been for Pentecost Sunday only, have no idea).

Favorite Dish: My friend and I had the special Pentecost Sunday menu for 15 EUROS.

Entrée/ Starter:

• Architecture

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

La Mariniere at Vieux Port: Bouillabaisse at its best

by sirgaw Written Jan 1, 2008

Near the restaurant a couple of cows exchanging ?

La Mariniere at Vieux Port in Marseille is one of many local seafood restaurants overlooking the harbour and the swirling traffic. The house speciality is bouillabaisse, the traditional fish stew of the region, served with crusty toasted bread and a zesty hot sauce Rouille (best described as similar to Lyonnaise). Be warned, the bouillabaisse servings are very large and are for 2 people, however they are still a challenge. Naturally the restaurant can help out with drinks at reasonable prices.

In door and out door dining available, but I do suggest dining out doors although you could be advised to avoid sitting at either end of the restaurant as the local beggars can be pestie.

• kop-queen's Profile Photo

Le Suffren: Good Choice

by kop-queen Updated Dec 24, 2007

Doesn't look spectacular but it was good for us

Centrally located in the Vieux Port. Relaxed, and friendly. My only criticism would be that smoking is allowed which I hate particularly when I am eating, but that would have been the same in any of the French restaurants.

Favorite Dish: We all ate different dishes. I had sole, others had sea bass, pizza, and omelette. All very nice but I would have the omelette next time as it looked superb.

• Le Pirate: al fresco moules

by SSlatter Written Oct 8, 2007

We were on the islands of Frioul when someone suggested lunch.. so we found ourselves in "Le Pirate" which is situated on top of a hill overlooking the port. There is seating outside for approximately 20 people and more seating inside. The dishes of the day were roast rabbit à la provençale, stuffed squid and moules marinières. After apéritifs, we four chose the mussels which duly arrived with their accompanying pommes frites. Now I have to say that I really enjoyed my moules, but my three french friends were not impressed, saying that there was too much use of cream in the sauce. I personally liked it though. We drank the house rosé which was great value at 7.50 euros a bottle. We followed up with two plates of cheese and coffee. The coffee was poor. The bill for 4 came to 78.60 euros, 28.60 of which was drinks. Worth a visit if you`re on Frioul and fancy something not too pricy.

• Disque Bleu: great value

by SSlatter Updated Oct 5, 2007

Disque Bleu is situated on one side of the Vieux Port, in a seemingly-endless row of other restaurants. We four arrived for lunch without a reservation, and we were lucky to grab the last available table. (There is al fresco seating for approximately 50 people). I ordered Salade Les Goudes: salad vegetables with a mountain of fried calamares, squid and shrimps. Fantastic value at 12 euros. My friends ordered the dish of the day, which was Sole Meunière, (only 8.50 euros), a veal escalope, and another Salade Les Goudes. We drank the house rosé with ice, that was great value at 5 euros the half-litre. The bill for four came to 59.90 euros, 15 euros of which was wine and coffee. Good coffee too. Recommended.

• Ferry Bar: Watch the people

by SSlatter Updated Oct 5, 2007

The Ferry Bar sits on one side of the Vieux Port, right opposite the small César ferry stop, from which it takes its name. It's a typical Marseillais bar, serving all types of drinks that you would expect, and if they like you, you will also get a plate of assorted tapas to go with your drink. Sit here and have an "apéro" before going off for a meal, or just have a drink and watch the world go by. Popular with the locals, it can however be rather noisy, due to its proximity to the main road. The draught beer is Stella and Leffe.

• La Cantine: Al fresco french

by SSlatter Updated Oct 4, 2007

La Cantine is situated just off the Quai de Rive Neuve side of the Vieux Port of Marseilles. The menu is not large, but big enough to give a decent choice. I ordered an Aloyau grillé (rumpsteak) which duly arrived "bleu", just as I had ordered it, with accompanying roast tomatos and potatos. Delicious. My two friends ordered pasta: Penne au Figatelli, and Penne aux Artichauts, which both said were delicious too; we drank a red "La Minotte", which was very drinkable. Good coffee too. The bill for three came to 71 euros, 15.80 of which was wine. Recommended.

• Les Arcenaulx: superb beef and fish

by SSlatter Updated Oct 4, 2007

Les Arcenaulx is a restaurant situated in a small complex of shops (books and gifts) which are all connected. The restaurant itself is fairly grand but it falls on the right side of pretentious: it`s not what I would call "snobby" at all. But don`t get me wrong. By no means is this a cheap restaurant. In fact it`s more expensive than average, but the old adage is "you pay for what you get", and this is certainly true in Les Arcenaulx`s case. We were a party of 5, and we started off with a glass of champagne each which was on the house. Nice start. We decided to skip the entrées and went straight for main courses: Tournedos Rossini, Steak Tartare, and Filet St. Pierre. The beef was superb, as was the fish. We drank a red: Chateau Pibarnon, which was on the pricy side at 55 euros the bottle, but which was also superb. The bill for 5 came to 266.45 euros, 89.45 of which was drinks. Good coffee too. Recommended.

• Nam-Viet: Vietnamese

by SSlatter Updated Sep 28, 2007

The Nam-Viet is a bit of an enigma: a restaurant that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous in one fell swoop. Don`t get me wrong. It`s not a bad restaurant... the food is good without being exceptional, but the wine list left a lot to be desired. We ordered a bottle of Bandol Rosé that was extremely poor value at 26 euros.. but then along came the "Nems".. fried wanton-like mini spring rolls filled with meat and vegetable, with their accompanying lettuce wrap and dipping sauce. A sheer delight. For our main course we chose "Brochette Royale" (mixed vietnamese kebab) and "Cuisses de grenouilles au citron et à lail" (frogs legs in lemon and garlic), which were both good without being exceptional.. but the "Nems" were special. The bill came to 64 euros for two people, with 26 euros of that being a poor bottle of wine.

Favorite Dish: Nems... delicious.

• Huks's Profile Photo

La Residence du Vieux Port: Try a Bouillabaisse

by Huks Updated Aug 28, 2007

The Restaurant

I knew that Bouillabaisse is characteristic food of Marseilles and I wanted to taste it. Very much restaurants offer this dish and I chose one of them. I was not frustrated and Bouillabaisse was really tasty dish.
    Of course this dish isn't among the cheapest dishes but if you want to taste something characteristic of food of Marseilles then try it.

Favorite Dish: I liked Bouillabaisse and the way of serving was interesting as well.
    At first is served fish bouillon. After that fish is presented for you and later it is served. Usually Bouillabaisse is made of fish of the morning's catch. So you never know exactly of what fish will be made Bouillabaisse this time.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Buffalo Grill: excellent!

by iaint Updated Apr 12, 2007

Wild West theme restaurant chain. Didn't expect much but it was a real revelation. Friendly, quick service. Super food. Non smoking section (very rare in France).
    Branches everywhere.
    Child friendly.
    Normal toilets.

Favorite Dish: Tornedos steak! Tender, and very rare ("seignant")

L'Effet Clochette

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This was a nice little bar/café that we more or less stumbled across while discovering the old Panier quarter of Marseille. They have a total of 18 seats inside, but if the weather permits they have wooden tables and benches outside as well. They serve various types of tea, coffee and have a small menue card as well (Plat du jour for lunch for around 9 € or à la carte).

TURBO PIZZA

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This pizza place was on our daily walking route from the appartment to the metro station, so one evening we decided not to cook, but to get a pizza. The owner was very cheerful and friendly and talked to us while preparing the pizzas. At the end he even gave us two cokes as a present! How very sweet of him!

Favorite Dish: We had a pizza "Moitié - Moitié" (half - half) with just cheese on one half and anchovis and cheese on the other half. The other pizza was with Merguez saussages on them, a kind of pizza that I had not tasted before. And it was good!!!

La Caravelle: A Bar with a View

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This was a tip given to us by our host Romain - and a top tip, too! He advised us not to have a drink at any of the many places along the Old Port, but to go to "La Caravelle" instead!

It is a jazz bar with a balcony and that balcony faces the Old Port and Notre Dame de la Garde, so you have the best view you could wish for!!!

Favorite Dish: We had a beer there, but they also serve wine and other beverages. Between 6 p.m. and 9.30 p.m. they also serve free tapas to go along with your drink - cheese, olives, fish, mushrooms, very delicious!

Instant Answers: Marseille

Comments

Marseille Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Marseille restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Marseille sightseeing.