Marseille Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Marseille

La Caravelle: A Bar with a View

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This was a tip given to us by our host Romain - and a top tip, too! He advised us not to have a drink at any of the many places along the Old Port, but to go to "La Caravelle" instead!

It is a jazz bar with a balcony and that balcony faces the Old Port and Notre Dame de la Garde, so you have the best view you could wish for!!!

Favorite Dish: We had a beer there, but they also serve wine and other beverages. Between 6 p.m. and 9.30 p.m. they also serve free tapas to go along with your drink - cheese, olives, fish, mushrooms, very delicious!

• Disque Bleu: great value

by SSlatter Updated Oct 5, 2007

Disque Bleu is situated on one side of the Vieux Port, in a seemingly-endless row of other restaurants. We four arrived for lunch without a reservation, and we were lucky to grab the last available table. (There is al fresco seating for approximately 50 people). I ordered Salade Les Goudes: salad vegetables with a mountain of fried calamares, squid and shrimps. Fantastic value at 12 euros. My friends ordered the dish of the day, which was Sole Meunière, (only 8.50 euros), a veal escalope, and another Salade Les Goudes. We drank the house rosé with ice, that was great value at 5 euros the half-litre. The bill for four came to 59.90 euros, 15 euros of which was wine and coffee. Good coffee too. Recommended.

• Business Travel

• tojoh's Profile Photo

La Coupole: Brasserie La Coupole - our favourite

by tojoh Written Dec 31, 2006

We ran into La Coupole by accident. It is situated in Rue Haxo, a few streets up from the Vieux Port. It is only open at lunch, and my sister and I were grateful for that. If it had served dinner, we would not have dined elsewhere, and that would not have been creative.

La Coupole has a great meny of meats, fish, pasta, salads and desserts. In addition to the menu, they serve two or three specials every day, and they are new every day. We chose these dishes, as they were delicious to eat. The Price? €12-15 for each dish. A bargain if you ask me. And we were so delighted that we ordered different dishes and shared them in order to enjoy all the tastes.

Favorite Dish: Eating at La Coupole - Honey and lavender glaced Duck Breast with grape sauce

I have never in my life tasted such a "Margret de Canard"!! It was glaced with wonderful honey and on top it was garnished with dried lavender flowers. I asked the breast to be bien cuit (well done), as I am sceptical to undercooked poultry. In spite of this, it was tender and beautifully moist. The sauce was made from whole grapes and grapejuice and it harmonized perfectly with the sweet glace. Served with perfectly roasted Friench Fries and a herb-roast tomato, I was lost for words, and I still am!

• chicabonita's Profile Photo

Le Bistrot à Vin: * * *

by chicabonita Updated Feb 23, 2007

At the reception of our hotel we found a small booklet with restaurant recommendations for Marseille. One of the mentioned restaurants was Bistrot a Vin. I've liked the picture at once as the restaurant looked like a small nice typical French bistro. The indicated price suited our budget and it was in walking distance to our hotel.

We were not disappointed with our choice!

Favorite Dish: We shared a starter and chose a Millefeuille from goat cheese, olive paste and marinated tomatoes with salad.

As main dish we chose plat du jour the daily recommendation and lamb in Provence style. Lamb was fantastic, the plat du jour was a little bit disappointing, due to my French knowledge I expected something completely different. I can't even really tell what I expected to get ... despite that it tasted also quite good.

The atmosphere was vibrant and the majority even if not all guests apart from us was French.

Info from the brochure

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Chez Fonfon: Wow...

by lesaandbill Written Jun 29, 2006

To find this place was an experience in itself. This is a restaurant that will be in my memory banks forever. Everything that you dream about France and Marseille...and blending in with the locals...comes true here.

This is only a ten minute walk from the Le Petite Nice. The walk along the promenade de la corniche is so cooll...then...underneath the bridge across from the monument aux morts d'orient...on the Bd DES DARDANELLES by the Vallon des Auffes...is this little local restaurant. There is outdoor seating and cozy indoor seating..and everything overlooks this quaint channel where the local fisherman come...and the passageway is lined with the colorful boats you see in the all the postcard pictures.

And the food...and the environment...and the service was all...perfect.

TURBO PIZZA

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This pizza place was on our daily walking route from the appartment to the metro station, so one evening we decided not to cook, but to get a pizza. The owner was very cheerful and friendly and talked to us while preparing the pizzas. At the end he even gave us two cokes as a present! How very sweet of him!

Favorite Dish: We had a pizza "Moitié - Moitié" (half - half) with just cheese on one half and anchovis and cheese on the other half. The other pizza was with Merguez saussages on them, a kind of pizza that I had not tasted before. And it was good!!!

• VERO13's Profile Photo

eating: Nice & cheap sandwich & salad place in Marseille

by VERO13 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here is a nice and safe place to eat - not too far from the Vieux Port (near the Palais de Justice). Friendly and cheap. The staff is well-travelled too - always ready to help!

Favorite Dish: l'Italien (ciabatta sandwich with smoked ham, mozzarella cheese and zucchini)

• Cruise
    • School Holidays

• BeChar's Profile Photo

Chez Mamy: Delicious Couscous near Old Port

by BeChar Written Jun 6, 2005

Go to that restaurant to eat Couscous. The owner belongs to a Tunisian family owning restaurants and shops selling Tunisian pastries.

We were kindly served a Couscous prepared with attention, for a low price (nature 4,50 EUR, kip 6.00 EUR ... full royal 14 EUR).

Couscous 'Chez Mamy'

L'Effet Clochette

by tini58de Updated Mar 23, 2007

This was a nice little bar/café that we more or less stumbled across while discovering the old Panier quarter of Marseille. They have a total of 18 seats inside, but if the weather permits they have wooden tables and benches outside as well. They serve various types of tea, coffee and have a small menue card as well (Plat du jour for lunch for around 9 € or à la carte).

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

Le Wagon: Built into a train door...

by rickyvilla81 Written Oct 20, 2003

Marseille and food equals fish and bouillabaisse, it's a well known fact. I had some ok food at some places down near the Old Port, but not very often and I don't remember the names. One place that stands out, even though I never ate there, is Le Wagon, mainly because this bar/restaurant is built like an old train, in fact you have to walk through a real locomotive doorway to get in...

I waited ages and then three courses came at once

• BEETLE_VERTE's Profile Photo

Try the Bouillabaisse

by BEETLE_VERTE Written Apr 11, 2004

Every little restaurants in the port compete for the best Bouillabaisse, don't miss it! It a full meal that taste so much better than it sounds! It supposed to come from left overs from the morning fishing a mother would put together to feed her familly. It evolved into a gargantuesque soup of fishes and seafood, veggies, spices and side dishes of cheese, toasted bread and rouille (garlic mayonaise). Incredibly good. So good I had to buy a book late so I could try the recipe at home and bring back this Marseille flavour with me!

The price is a bit high, specially if your lunching on it. But it's going to be worth every penny!

Port of Marseille

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Corbusier: Restaurant Le Corbusier

by JLBG Updated Jan 8, 2006

Restaurant Le Corbusier is for those that are interested in the achievements of the great architect Le Corbusier as it is standing at the third level of La cité Radieuse, the building that he designed in Marseille.

The food is not outstanding but does not deserve any critics neither. Anyway, visitors are usually here more for the outstanding architecture of Le Corbusier than for an outstanding food.

Restaurant Le Corbusier Restaurant Le Corbusier Restaurant Le Corbusier Restaurant Le Corbusier, fileted duck with olives Restaurant Le Corbusier
    • Architecture

• garethj's Profile Photo

Le Mas de Luli: great restaurant in the Vieux Port

by garethj Written Oct 17, 2005

An excellent little restaurant just next to the Vieux Port. The menu is varied with a good selection of salades as well as more traditional hot dishes. If the weather is good, then you should take advantage of the terrace, the perfect place to enjoy a glass of Pastis.

Favorite Dish: the salads were all excellent, just what you need on a hot summers day.

• Lauracée: little gem

by SSlatter Updated Dec 10, 2009

This restaurant is a bit off the beaten track, but well-worth the effort of finding. You`ll probably be greeted by the amiable chef-proprietor, Christophe Negrel. I chose a Fricassé de Morue (fricaseed cod, tomatos and potatos in garlic à la nouvelle cuisine). My friends chose Poèle Champignons et Foie Gras (compote of mushrooms and foie gras) and Filet de Daurade à la plancha (fillet of Gilthead Sea Bream). My cod was superb: just the right amount of garlic and salt, and my friends were very pleased with their choices. We drank a white Chablis which was okay. The wine list looked good; a bit let down by the coffee, though. Not the best. The bill for three came to 107 euros, 49.50 of which was wine. Recommended.

• Business Travel

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Lollipops: Jewish Snack Bar

by Elainehead Updated Apr 6, 2006

We came here to have a bite before going to a concert at Le Moulin. We walked a bit on Boulevard Alphonse Daudet, but along the way, we only found a pub (full of drunks), a kebab place and one pizza parlor (both places looked a bit shady to us). We were almost giving it up, when we spotted this snack bar called "Lollipops". It looked clean, so we decided to give it a try. It's a tiny place with a few tables. The service was friendly. On the menu, they had pizzas, crepes (salty or sweet), pasta, salads, desserts. We ordered 2 small pizzas (thin). They were good, but one was big enough for two (at least for us).

Mozzarella pizza (small): 7 Euros
    Cheese pizza (small): 6 Euros
    Can of Coca-Cola: 2 Euros
    Tap water: Free

Note: Luckily we noticed the chef's kippa before making our orders, so no pork meat (ham, bacon) in their menu.

• Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Marseille

Comments

Marseille Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Marseille restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Marseille sightseeing.