Marseille Warnings and Dangers

city
    by gratefulquinn
    city at night
    by gratefulquinn
    Let's fly with the wind!
    by ptitetoile

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Marseille

• Marseille danger

by bandidos Written Sep 3, 2011

Marseille is extremely dangerous to travel to, expecially for women or unseasoned tourists, The local police is undermanned and there are many districts that are not patrolled at all since the police themselves could get into some real troubles there.
    Marseille was a truly wonderful city half a century ago, things took a turn for the worst in the early 80's dues to wild and uncontrolled immigration, now Marseille is a hotbed of activities for thugs of all races hiding often behind moslem fundamentalist values, they are very dangerous and will rape and steal what ever they can get away with... with the police afraid in most cases to act, it is best to altogether avoid going there at least until the local authorities have restored order, the local government rep was fired recently and the French president has endeavoured funds to make the city safer, really at this stage they should bring in the army and shoot on sight as it cannot be really worst.
    Unfortunately for Europe, Marseille is a very accurate example of what is happening to Most European cities especially in France, the radical moslems are taking hold everywhere and crimes is flourishing most often unpunished.

• mykitten's Profile Photo

smelly and dirty and not female friendly

by mykitten Written May 29, 2008

The whole town smells and looks like it could do with a good wash! Areas are full of men who hang around and leer at passing women. It seems acceptable to shout out comments and when no answer is given to harrass the individual with obscene gestures. The town either smells of off food (loads of bins full everywhere) or urine.

• Marseille Train Station Cautions & Tips

by PRIMO2012 Updated Jun 9, 2012

Location: Gare De Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station. When traveling to Marseille by train, wether passing through to catch another train or to visit, take caution when walking outside of Station to get some fresh air or to overlook the view, no matter what time of day. February 2012 I arrived to the Station by train from Paris CDG Airport, immediately walking outside to get some air, I walked to the surrounding near the steps to relax until I was to catch the train to the City of Aubagne, and I was approached by a young man asking for a lighter to light his cigarette, he was well dressed and well groomed and came across as polite, I noticed that he was Caucasian and spoke with an Eastern Block accent, so I asked him " are you Russian"? he said "yes", right away he seemed very interested in my being in Marseille; where I was from, where I was headed etc...anyway he was very intuitive. Now as I was standing there I made sure to keep my travel pack to my side and in view, as we were engaged in conversation another young man approached and asked for a lighter to light his cigarette, anyhow I felt as if these two fellas were working in conjunction to Robb me; call it instinct! Anyway my advice to those traveling to Marseille Train Station; take caution when passing through, if you are traveling alone and are not familiar with the area, stay close to the Station and don't venture off to far, be cautious of engaging in conversation with passer bys whom seem to willing to engage in conversation, as this could very well be a set up! If you do not have long to wait at the Station, best to hang out inside, there is a Mc'Donalds and a walk in Deli and several Cafe's, keep your belongings on you at all times, if you have luggage, there is a secure luggage storage unit next to the restrooms and Police Station next to the Train platform, when you walk in the door there is Security, they will ask you to put your luggage through the machine to be scanned and then they will let you through to choose a secure locker, It costs 2 Euro to open the bin and there you have it, you are free to roam the Station without the burden of lugging around your belongings, just use good sence! Whenever I arrive to the Station, it is for a short layover till my next train arrives, although I am usually a little weary from traveling from CDG Airport, I maintain my awareness by being attentative of my surroundings at all times. Now if you are staying in Marseille, when you head out the doors, you will be facing the long steps in front of you, you will see a line of Taxi's to take you where you need to go, oh and if you miss your train or it has been cancelled and you need to rest, there is a fine Hotel next door, just head out the Station door, walk to the side walk where the Taxi's park, turn left and you will see the Hotel, it's a 3 minute walk, "and there it is; Hotel ibis", stones throw from the Station! So be safe and "Happy Travels".

• Trains

• Women in Marseille

by nevaehliz2 Written May 18, 2009

After reading all the tips here i decided to throw in my two cents. I moved to marseille when I was 21. I didn't speak french and had never even left my country! ( american). Bright blond, pale and completely ignorant of the world around me. It was one of the most liberating but toughest things I have done on my life so far. I would say to all women travelling, more so if you look '' western'', be very careful about how you talk to the men, try not to make eye contact on the street with any man as this is almost an invitation. I made the mistake even after three years. My openess as an american would just suddenly pop out and I would regret it later.
    It is a VERY dirty city. Urine and fecal matter is everywhere, watch where you step!. If you are blond I suggest wearing some head gear, a scarf maybe. I felt more comfortable.
    Avoid side streets and back streets. Men are aggressive so assert yourself if you have to.
    watch out for theives. Everyday, even after walking the same market everyday i was mistaken for a tourist and almost pickpocketed ( i almost made a shirt that said " I am NOT a tourist)
    On the upside, the food is AMAZING, the water is AMAZING the culture, music and art scene is amazing and I have marseille to thank for giving me this american/marseille accent when I speak french :)...ohhh, excuse me, when i speak marseille :)!!!!

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Avoid Marseille!

by xmeggles Written Apr 12, 2009

I feel obligated to write something here after my short stay in Marseille. I went with a friend for the weekend after finding a flight . I was harassed and grabbed by some older man who was yelling things at me in French near the Viex Port. Later that night I was attacked by a random women in a nightclub and my wallet was stolen. The next day at dinner, we witnessed a stabbing while we were eating at one of the nicer restaurants in the Viex Port. We watched the fight break out and 2 men attack another with punches and a fork. There was blood all over the restaurant window, which the restaurant staff didn't even bother to clean up! I wish we had known how dangerous the city is before traveling there. We certainly would have changed our plans. The city itself is dirty and full of poverty. It was an eye-opening experience for me but I hope that my experience there will help someone else avoid a similar one.

• Extremely dangerous!

by ihatemarseille Written Sep 23, 2009

I moved to Marseille 8 months ago and it is now officially the worst place in the world, in my opinion. Within those 8 months, I have been shouted at more or less everytime I left my apartment. 3 months ago, my apartment got broken into, and everything valuable was stolen. Apparently, sunday afternoons is their favourite time because the majority of people go to the beach at this time. Myself and 2 female friends were walking home from a night out, and got followed home by a group of teenage boys, 1 of whom ran into us and tried to steal my bag. Luckily, we were holding on tightly so they ran off with nothing. And last night, to top all of this off, as I was at my friends front door, with the key almost in the lock, we turned around to see a guy pointing a gun at us, shouting at us in french. We didn't understand what he wanted, so he took the safety off the gun, which is when I gave him my bag, with my passport, purse, phone, iPod, keys... everything inside. He ran off. We called the police, asking to speak with an English speaking officer, but when I told him what had happened, he replied, with, 'Yeah...?' as if it was nothing and then hung up on me.
    I strongly recommend that you don't travel to Marseille unless absolutely necessary. Women should definitely NEVER walk alone, and even in the daytime, be on your guard. If these people see any opportunity, they will take it. I'm leaving as soon as possible and I will never ever return.

• Go with an open mind.

by richjohnstone Updated Aug 15, 2010

I feel absolutely compelled to reply to some of the comments below. My wife and I returned yesterday from a fabulous 6 days in Marseille. A fantastic city and I'm delighted that I did not let many of the negative comments deter me from going.

With any big cities - don't take un-necessary risks. In crowded streets (which they are, especially around the Vieux Port area) then pickpocketing is going to be a risk. Therefore, watch your valuables. As much as I would in any large, crowded city. My wife did not "cover up" completely and we did not have any problems at all in any of the areas of the city we visited. The tourist guides and offices will advise that certain districts should be avoided, especially in the evening (the area lining and south of the main railway station) - as a tourist there is not much to see there anyhow, so we deemed it an un-necessary risk and didn't go. The main areas, Vieux Port, Cours Julien, Prado etc were all fine - with a good selection of restaurants and bars and no problems as far as we saw. Yes, we were approached at tables with the odd rose seller and beggar - a simple "non, merci" and we were left alone.

We are not great French speakers, but learning a simple phrase such as "do you speak English" will get you everywhere - they like you to make the effort, but this is the same of France in general, not just Marseille. We did and they enjoyed the banter of attempting their English as much as we enjoyed the humour of trying our French. Don't be put off by the bad reviews. The sights are worth seeing, the art and music scene is incredible, the bar and restaurant scene are foodie and drink lovers paradise. It's a big city, yes and like all big cities is has it's problems. Keep it in perspective and go with an open mind. You will love it. We did. Plus go now - it's European Capital of Culture in 2013 and prices will rocket because of this in the next few years. You'll love it and you'll see a totally different side of French culture that you really shouldn't miss.

• Castles and Palaces

• Violent Robbery Near Vieux Port in September 2013

by optimator Written Oct 5, 2013

I recently left Marseille after a 2-night stay (Sep 22-24, 2013) with my girlfriend. The people are that of any big city and were overall pleasant. There were beggars who were more aggressive and persistent than the norm, a lot of litter and urine/feces smells along the busiest streets near the port in the middle of the day. It was not unlike other large city in the US and abroad, but it did have an "edgy" feel to it that was clearly unique.

The D'If and surrounding islands made for a fantastic half-day boat excursion and the Calanques Du Sugiton national park provided an all-day hiking and swimming experience that was very beautiful. Enjoying the sunset at the Notre-Dame de la Garde was the perfect end to our day, and many locals had adult beverages to partake in the sunset and it was a friendly, social atmosphere.

However, things did take a turn for the worse. I ventured out for some night-time photography along the port, which is very vibrant during the day, around 11 pm. I fully realize there is inherent risk in walking around at night in any city -- US or abroad -- but what I encountered is far from the norm in my 15+ years of traveling throughout the world. I had just taken some photos of the Bouches-du-Rhône. While taking photos I noticed a couple groups of young-looking locals that were socializing and did not appear to be doing anything unusual. I left the Bouches-du-Rhône and began walking towards the Vieux Port. I was 2-3 blocks southeast from the Vieux Port and there were a few pedestrians every few blocks, so it was not necessarily a deserted city street.

Before I knew it someone ran up behind me and put me in a "sleeper hold" headlock and a second person began spraying pepper spray in my eyes and ears. They kicked and punched me and tried to get my backpack (small day pack), but I managed to fight them off and they ultimately ran away after wrestling with them on the ground. I was carrying 40 euro, a couple credit cards, and an iphone in my pockets, and I had an "semi professional" DLSR camera in my backpack and I was holding a 10-year-old $80 tripod in my right hand. I suspect my backpack and the tripod were what attracted them, but in the end having the tripod worked out to my advantage -- it served as my weapon when they attacked me. I managed to not lose anything. I assume they followed me after taking pictures of the Bouches-du-Rhône.

This was not just a "bag snatching" attempt you read about in other reviews about Marseille. This was a violent robbery that could have easily ended worse than it did. Thankfully I only suffered minor injuries in addition to the effects of the pepper spray. After they fled I realized that I was unwilling to walk back to my hotel alone -- which was the first time I ever felt unsafe in any city. Two young locals kindly offered to walk back with me, and they mentioned violent robbery happens more regularly even in popular areas of the Marseille like the old port.

I have walked alone in large cities throughout the world late at night (specifically for photography) and experienced nothing remotely similar to what happened to me last night in Marseille. Perhaps it was my time. It certainly served as a strong reminder that the worst can happen at any time, in any city. This is not another "don't visit Marseille" post, but for those of you who are planning your trip please be very careful walking about Marseille.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

• Dont think about going!!!!!!

by cwhyte Written Oct 21, 2009

We are just back from Marseille yesterday, and I can honsetly say I was not Impressed one bit. The streets are filthy with litter and the smells of sewage etc is disgusting. Although we never expercenced any trouble there where lots of beggers and drug users about which was very off putting.
    The only decent part (if you can call it decent) was where the designer shops were situated but again there were plenty of beggers about. The men made me feel very uneasy and if you want any advice for the women - cover up, dont wear anything revealing.

To sum the whole trip up would be fair to say - nightmare:(

ps If you dont speak any french then be prepared to be ignored, they wont help you at all!!

• Women's Travel

• Marseille - Think about visiting :)

by cfouche Written Jun 4, 2011

I came across this website today, and was pleased to read about all the warnings, and dangers that travellors have written about. I have re-located to Marseille from another country, and walk everyday between districts in Marseille. I am lucky not to have come across any mugs.

I do however, want to bring your attention to the city that I come from, would have worse episodes than this. Before leaving, I was attacked at an ATM machine in broad daylight, they arrived well dressed when they attempted to take my bank card. We had badly dressed beggars at each traffic robot. There were hi-jacking hotspots, and constant robberies which often ended in death.

I feel safe in Marseille and being able to walk freely. It is common sense that where ever we travel to keep our possessions away from the eye of thieves; not to walk were there is no other human life; and be aware of our surroundings.

I can confirm the smelly streets (that is the side streets we told not to walk in). Ive witnessed street cleaners washing the main streets with water hoses, and a car like machine picking up the litter. Dustbins are in place, and cleaned regularly.

Marseille is the 2nd largest city in France; is very metropolitan and in my opinion, is like any other city when related to crime or misfortunes.

• anglosaxon's Profile Photo

The red light area is very...

by anglosaxon Written Aug 25, 2002

The red light area is very close to Vieux Port and although I was never bothered, some might be offended. If you stick to the main roads at night there is no problem of going through the 'wrong' street.

• fabrice's Profile Photo

marseille is now a dangerous...

by fabrice Written Aug 24, 2002

marseille is now a dangerous city,with a high rate of criminality;you will understand it as soon as you a rrive at marseille-st-charles railway station;many junkies and beggars will surely wait for you downstairs

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

I am sorry to say that...

by Pierre_Rouss Written Aug 24, 2002

I am sorry to say that Marseille and the area is not so safe. Don't leave valuable stuff unattended on the back seat or anything that might hint you have something in the trunk... thiefs will smash the window or trunk to get to it.
    I departed once from Marseille airport to Montreal, only to discover that my checked luggage arrived in Montreal but only after an attempt to pick (demolish) the lock appended.

• Huks's Profile Photo

Strikes

by Huks Written Aug 29, 2007

Imagine you have bought tickets from Marseilles to Nice two days before a trip. When you arrive to railway station you see that part of railway staff are on strike and trips to Nice are delaying. Then starts a chaos because all passengers try to take a seat in next trip but for all passengers seats are not enough then part of them have to wait next trip.
    I had the luck because I bought the ticket when strike was started and new schedule came into effect. So I didn't have to be nervous.

• Trains

• AlfredSt's Profile Photo

Le vrai Pastis de...

by AlfredSt Updated May 11, 2003

Le vrai Pastis de Marseille
    One of 'Le Jaune' might be enough to see the world from a different angle!

Instant Answers: Marseille

• Mar 27, 2013 at 3:05 AM

kahlua9912 your commentary is full of racism and of no help at all whatsoever. I think you posted it on the wrong board. I am not pardoning the antics of the rowdy boys on Matrseille's streets and i do agree that it birings the area down but you seem to have issues with Arabs that's clouding your ability to provide meaningful and structured criticism. I have been to North Africa and find it a wonderful place and so do many europeans who travel there on a daily basis. You need to live a little and drop the hatred otherwise it'll only consume you.

• Apr 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

One reason Marseille is such a terrible place is that anyone who tried to stop the influx of immigrants was called a racist and ignored. Now the people who made these accusations live in constant fear of attack. Serves them right!

• Apr 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Such hypocricy gamalpha.....When the French invaded Africa it was perfectly acceptable. It is the very presence of immigrants in Marseille and the tolerant French there that makes the city so great and colourful. i don't deny that many misbehave but don't blame all the city's social problems on the immigrants. you make your sense of reasoning and logic appear very simplistic.

Marseille Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Marseille warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Marseille sightseeing.