Nice What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Nice

• b1bob's Profile Photo

by b1bob Written Aug 25, 2002

sunblock

Luggage and bags: I wouldn't get too carried away. Just dress like you would on a summer beach holiday in the States.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I went in summer, so I wore a lot of short pants and t-shirts.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: The standard gear.

Photo Equipment: 35mm. camera. Buy your film at home- it's cheaper that way.

• Beaches

• holligolytly's Profile Photo

by holligolytly Written Aug 25, 2002

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you plan on going in the sea, if I were you I'd bring a cheap pair of rubber sandals that you can wear on the pebbles as you go down to the water.

Miscellaneous: I personally pack very light when going to Nice. The Shopping is so good here, that most afternoons I spend in and out of the stores, oftentimes purchasing the cute little outfit I plan to wear out that same evening. This way when you go to pack for your return, you don't have to worry about making room for too much clothes.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Before you leave on a trip (no matter how long you'll be away), do list the complete contents in your luggage (that's EVERYTHING... including your make-up, books and medications). If you can, try and Carry a photo of your suitcase as well as a description of it (i.e. make, type, etc.). Should your bag be lost or stolen, you'll have everything you need with you in order to expedite a claim.

My rule of thumb is to take enough clothes for one week OR for the length of the trip PLUS two days, whichever is shorter.

Try to take different colors of shirts/blouses; mixing and matching might fool people into thinking you brought more clothes than you did. That's the whole idea, isn't it?

If you are going on an extended trip, pick one color and stick with it... like say black. If you are part of the Generation X (ahem!).... REJOICE!

Why? Because black travels very well. You can get ketchup stains all over
    your black jeans or coffee stains on your black t-shirt... and nobody will ever notice! Just make sure they don't stand too close to you to catch a whiff of the... er... Well, I'm sure you know what I mean! :-))

And lastly, I've learnt from my well-traveled and well-heeled buddies/ colleagues over the years to ALWAYS roll your clothes when packing.... and you'd never have to worry about ironing again when you reach your destination!

But how do the clothes stay rolled up, you wonder?

Here's another trick I've picked up: Just cut off the legs of old panty hose. Put your hand inside one of the cut-off legs, grab that rolled up t-shirt and pull it through. And, Voila! My things stay rolled up like assorted sausages....

Photo Equipment: I ALWAYS, ALWAYS bring along at least 2 camaras with me... just in case one breaks down. My friends used to laugh at me.... until their one and only camera broke down. When when they have to RELY SOLELY on me and my amateurish photographic skills, they stopped laughing. Yes, immediately. Serve them right! :-))

Miscellaneous: If you are going to do lots of walking and sightseeing, do remember to put the following items into your tote bag or backpack: Maps and perhaps a French phrase book, your all-important Guidebook, water bottle, sunglasses.... etc.

DON'T forget to bring along your much-treasured ATM card to withdraw cash. Yes, no need to rush to the
    money-changers to change all your money into French Francs before your trip.

And DON'T use your Visa or Mastercard to withdraw cash. This is considered a CASH ADVANCE and you'd be slapped with a HEFTY fee whereas if you were to use YOUR own ATM card, you will NOT be charged for any fees.

In fact, you WILL benefit and enjoy from the low interbank exchange rates. Trust me (I used to work for an American bank).

Just ensure that you adhere to the following steps:

(1) Flip to the back of your local ATM card, do you see the logos 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The
    Exchange' etc. on it?

(2) If the answer is 'yes', then you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

(3) Why? Because you can withdraw cash from any ATM machines in France and Monaco, no matter how obscure the town you're at is.

(4) If you use this method, you'd also save alot from the interbank exchange rates. Money changers will charge you much, much more compared to a bank.

I've been using this method countless of times before and so far, no ATM machines in this world have failed me.... yet. Yes, even in the remotest village of Africa!

Have a great trip!

Photo Below: Antibes again... A lovely, lovely town.

'There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.' - Nelson Mandela

• JulesRules's Profile Photo

Water sandals, definately

by JulesRules Written Jul 24, 2005

The beach of Nice

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Although not sexy, I did wear water sandals for the beach at Nice. My comfort was that I bought them in Nice and in one way or the other, that were "mondain", and they were nicois.

• Big White Handbags!!

by Shafali Written Feb 25, 2003

Luggage and bags: Don't forget the all important white bag when going to the beach!!! What to put inside? It doesn't matter. Just have the bag as Exhibit A is showing us now....

• Spa and Resort

• o00o's Profile Photo

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: It is only 30 minutes by train in distance or 10 minutes by helicopter from Monaco, I would suggest keep all your belonging into the hotel or coin locker if you plan to have a day trip.

Instant Answers: Nice

Comments

Nice What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Nice what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nice sightseeing.