Hippopotamus, Nice

1 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

16, Avenue Félix Faure, Nice 04 93 92 42 77

• Directions to the restaurant Hippopotamus
    Directions to the restaurant...
    by Elainehead
  • Elainehead's Profile Photo

Hippopotamus: Non-stop Restaurant Grill from 11 AM to 11 PM

by Elainehead Updated Feb 25, 2013

Directions to the restaurant Hippopotamus

It's a steakhouse but you will find other things in their menus as well. We had a lunch on a Wednesday and it was really crowded (noisy too), but after 2 PM, it was calmer.
    I do not advise having the "Salade de Saison", except if you are vegetarian... The seasoning was strong (too much vinegar and salty).
    I won't come back to this restaurant because the last time I have, it wasn't crowded, not only we waited a lot until someone finally took our orders but also to be served. We asked for a table in a non-smoking area and we were placed between smokers!!!! Welcome to France!!!!

UPDATE: When I first wrote this review, smoking was still allowed inside, now it is only allowed outside. This is a place to come with your kids, so it's usually noisy. If you are a big eater, this is the place for you because you can order as many side-dishes as you want, but don't expect any high-quality food.

Favorite Dish: The first time I came I had the "Filet de Tilapia" (sort of fish) and green beans as my side-dish (if I knew I could have chosen another side-dish as well, I would have chosen some French Fries, I guess). Price: 13, 30 ? (the prices on the online menu is at least 0,10 ? more expensive than the restaurant's menu in Nice).
    Coca-cola (33cl): 3 ?.
    They don't have anymore the dish above on their menu, so I had "duo brochette de poulet" which had no taste.
    The "carafe d'eau" (small bottle of tap water) is free.
    Menu in other languages: http://www.hippopotamus.fr/hippo/resto/image/MenuEtranger.pdf

• Hippopotamus: Worst service ever!

by sg9591 Updated Jul 2, 2008

The presentation of this restaurant is quite encouraging but the service was unbelievably horrible. If you want even the least amount of attention be very fluent in French. There is an obvious bias against English speaking patrons despite the menu being in both languages. We attempted to order in French as we are adequate in basic French phrases but the waiter interrupted in English and proceeded in speaking in about the same broken language as we were.

The waiter refused our initial request of an order of fries saying it was not possible without making an entree order and then served the same dish a few minutes later to the table next to us. They coincidentally were speaking fluent French. My family and I ordered appetizers and drinks and after they were served the last time we saw the waiter was when he was leaving the restaurant with car keys in hand. That was approximately 30 minutes after we finished. We had to flag down a waitress who brought the ticket without saying a word. While are accustomed to occasional slow service in our county and others we try to be patient and have never made a comment directly. I work in the service industry and understand how thing can run behind but don't expect the simple courtesy of an explanation or apology from this place.

Instant Answers: Nice

Comments

Hotels Near Hippopotamus
3.0 out of 5 stars